• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you date a girl who had genital herpes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
What hyper sensitivity?

You were making fun of the girls in here and then went into a tangent about "public health"

Sex is risky, even when practicing safe sex. All you can do is wear a rubber and not be stupid.
How the hell is public health a tangent?

STDs are a public health concern.

I read you as "fuck the world, me me me"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuck no. If she got an STD, she likely got it from sleeping around. Don't ruin your life and put one girl on a pedestal, the fact you are already thinking about your next partners says it all.

Define "sleeping around".

And after that, please, tell me why that's a bad thing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Define "sleeping around".

And after that, please, tell me why that's a bad thing.

Devo already quantified that. I believe it's the 7th stamp on your card, then you get a free meatball sub. Why that's a bad idea, I dunno. Meatball subs are amazing.

How the hell is public health a tangent?

STDs are a public health concern.

I read you as "fuck the world, me me me"

You seem like you need a hug or a cuddle or something. All I said was that you were shitting on the girls pretty heavy for a very, very common STD that, yes, isn't that big of a deal. And you insult me and try to portray me as a selfish person.

Tsk, tsk. I thought we were having a discussion here.

Roflobear

Haha, you're playing the "PC police" card. Sorry that I was making fun of your language, but using a sterile "females" to act superior is a very MRA type thing to do. I can't help the fact that I'm in danger of an STD every time I talk to a woman. If only I knew the specifics of your screening process when you date, I'd be in much less danger.

Yet funny enough, you ignore his use of "males" in the same post...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Devo already quantified that. I believe it's the 7th stamp on your card, then you get a free meatball sub. Why that's a bad idea, I dunno. Meatball subs are amazing.

But what about guys? Do we get something? I don't get around a lot. Can I get some vouchers, at least?

Into

No

Are you aware at just how annoying it is to have to deal with that? I have a female friend who got genital herpes from her new 28 year old something boyfriend, and she has to spend money on pills. He ofc never told her that he had this shit, classic move

And if one day they break up, she has that "nice" sweet memory from him, fantastic.

Fuck no. If she got an STD, she likely got it from sleeping around. Don't ruin your life and put one girl on a pedestal, the fact you are already thinking about your next partners says it all.
If only the woman had stayed pure, this could have all been avoided!

Wazzy

Banned
The defensive female is an intriguing species. Surely one of the wonders of the natural world.
Don't worry. We've got defensive female expert Dennis here to educate us!

Whoops you're totally right. It wasn't the point I was addressing though. I'm not saying I agree with Dennis, I just don't think it's weird to use the words he used.

It is weird to quote two people and then patronize them with "defensive females".

It's not saying you can't use the word "females". It's Dennis's way of using it that is stupid.

Nephtis

Doesn't matter how they got it, whether it was by sleeping all over the place, or the first time they slept with someone.

I would not sleep with someone I knew had genital herpes.

Doesn't make them a slut or a whore or what have you. I simply wouldn't want to take the risk. I would date them, sure, but unless I was marrying that person, the risk will never be worth it.

Moff

I don't think genital herpes is common enough to not worry about it.
if she is just a 10/10 in looks and not the woman of your dreams in every way, I would definitely pass

Kinsei

Banned
The biggest hangup for me is the fact that genital herpes makes it easier to acquire and pass on HIV. I don't think I could do it for that reason, but then again I don't know the woman you're talking about OP.

Juz

NVODxqh.png

It's only worth it if she's a dream girl and you're going to be with her forever. The chances of you getting herpes are nontrivial. But the chance can be minimized and living with a rash is not really the worst thing ever.

Denzar

Hey OP! If she's a 10/10 for you (and I hope it's because of more than her appearance) and you feel comfy, why not go for it right?

Yeah, she's got herpes but like you said, medication and protection should do the trick. If you're apprehensive you'll still find a way to please eachother. It'll take a little time, but if you're convinced you'll get there. Relationships are give and take, and it's up to you to give her confidence in this particular case. Be careful, enjoy eachother.

kmax

If she's 10/10 with STD's, let's face it, you're probably not going to be around for long anyways.

Drop it like it's hot.

Nerokis

small chance of transmitting genital herpes from the outset (~4% for a male, with variance) + condoms + suppressive therapy + basic precautions like avoiding sex during outbreaks + the preexisting prevalence of genital herpes (at least ~16% of the population, certainly more in actuality) + relatively trivial symptoms + there being many incredibly dateable people who happen to have genital herpes in the world = Yes, I think I would.

I mean, no doubt it would affect whatever sex life we had, but in general the stigma surrounding it is exaggerated. Such stigma can be useful for keeping a disease at bay, but that doesn't excuse how ignorant and thoughtlessly judgmental people tend to be about this subject (see: first post in this thread).

.Q.

Neo Member
Sorry to blow everyone's image of the world, but a lot of the adult population has herpes. Whether you accept the inherent risk in hooking up is on you OP, but I have a thousand times more respect for the girl because she was responsible enough to drop her pride and be upfront.
Yup. You should treat every single sex partner as positive for gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, and AIDS until proven otherwise. Either protect yourself with a condom, make them get tested and show you the results, or decide you don't mind having those diseases and bareback it anyway.

Spinluck

If she is hot, and fun to be around, BUT has herpes, I would probably bang her w/protection then bail on the relationship later on. But fuck, I've gone in without a rubber my fair share of times... I probably have that shit too.

I am honestly not the best person to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom