• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

MrBenchmark

The things that would make this system a buy for me would have been a smaller footprint it's still a deep device. Also with the look of that hard drive port it NEEDS external support otherwise I'm not giving up my PS4 with its 4tb 7200rpm 64mb cache desktop drive. Being shorter doesn't mean shit to me make it shallow not a big ass paving stone.

Boke1879

Honestly depending on how cheap this slim model is. I'll get one as well and put in the living room. At $250 that's good. Neo is what I'm waiting on though.

rjinaz

The Xbox One S with 4k is $299 lowest model. I can't imagine them going much higher on the Neo or pricing the slim too close to that either.

It's gonna be $300, guys. $250? Come on now. I ain't talkin' about no Wii. This is the PS Quadruple Slim.

This is what I'm expecting as well, along with $400 for the Neo.

Given how they're way ahead despite the PS4 being the most expensive console right now, there's little reason for them to be THAT aggressive. I'd still like to see it, though...

I think it's going to start at $299 but will bundle with a game. My guess is Destiny Collection

Neo will have a COD Bundle.

Japan will get FFXV Neo Bundle

Bundles will definitely be $300, but we already know that they're releasing a standalone unit with a 500GB harddrive. That I believe will go for $250. And that'll be a nice sweetspot for casuals.

RoKKeR

And it will be a dumb business move. You should have it all out this holiday so the consumer has every choice available and they can pick what they want especially if you are going to be underpowered compared to Scorpio. If they are thinking about releasing next year then they might as well wait till the end of the year and release a machine equal to or more powerful than Scorpio.

Fair enough.

The only way it makes sense for both to be released at the same time, though, is if they severely lower the value of the PS4. (Slim) As the article alludes to with the "casual" mention + the fact that the Slim seemingly comes in at 500GB, I'd expect it to be a $249 price point. Allows them to make a clear distinction between the old/cheaper PS4 and the new, premium/high-end PS4. Expecting $399 at the least for Neo.

I'm shocked MS didn't launch the One S at that price, but perhaps the components got in the way.

the leaked pics of the slim were 500 gigs.

$299.99 500gb slim/$399.99 1tb neo

special $799.99 matrix pack for the holidays
Oh whoops. Then yea probably 500 gb and 1 tb.

I dont see $249 yet because i dont think they want to undercut neo by too much. Saving $150 or $200 by going regular ps4 starts looking attractive at that point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'll be tempted by a slim if it's far quieter and smaller and better looking.

0 interest in a neo.

Yeah same...i was thinking i would get a NEO only if my OG PS4 broke, but this budget slim is gonna be much cheaper and likely a bit quieter too, so i may just get that in that event.

Is the slim gonna bring UHD BR or just the Neo?

Just the NEO i think. Budget Slim will be an OG PS4 function wise. They are saving all the enhancements for NEO.

I dont see $249 yet because i dont think they want to undercut neo by too much. Saving $150 or $200 by going regular ps4 starts looking attractive at that point.

They want PS4 in as many homes as possible and they don't care which one you buy. Slim will be getting the overwhelming majority of sales.

sense

So OG PS4 is gone now, and budget slim and NEO will take over until PS5. Makes sense.

I think they could have cut NEO and just had a Xbox One S style 4K capable, UHDBR slimline until PS5 though.

Oh well. Slim will i'm thinking be 249 at 500GB, NEO 399
Yea but then I wouldn't buy one as I would have stuck with the OG ps4 as I don't give a shit about the look of the console or 4K capabilities. The more power is an incentive/excuse for me to buy it :). this is a test to see if something like what happens in phone/tablet will work in the console space and if they fail they will not revisit but I doubt they will fail, neo is going to sell like crazy to existing ps4 owners imo

quest

Not Banned from OT

I don't see 249 because Sony is clearly trying to profit on hardware this generation to help support money losing divisions. There is no reason to go below 299.99 right now with how the PS4 is selling. That also leaves room to clear out the OG PS4 at 249.99. On the NEO I think they go 449.99. That lets them make good profit for a year till the Scorpio comes out and then a price drop to 399.99. This is not previous generations were hardware was a thing to break even on. IT even started last generation where PS3 and 360 took for ever to get to 249.99.

ron_bato

I moved out of the house recently and as a result my brother doesn't have a ps4, so I'm looking to buy myself a new one and give my brother my MGS V LE console if the Neo looks compelling enough.

Chobel

LOL! It's not gonna be $249. Sony knows they can sell shit ton at $299 and they will do exactly that.

injurai

Banned
PlayStation Neo about to pull a Final Fantasy Versus XII on everyone and become the PS5.

Doubt it. I think the Neo is more grow the PS4 platform in an era of quickly evolving x86 hardware and high end PCs. I think by the time Scorpio comes out the PS5 will probably follow a year after. Essentially clipping it's heels. Sony did pretty well last gen despite launching a year after the 360, and I think they will plan better price wise.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

:/ Its just an opinion guy, just dial it down a bit

Yea but then I wouldn't buy one as I would have stuck with the OG ps4 as I don't give a shit about the look of the console or 4K capabilities. The more power is an incentive/excuse for me to buy it :). this is a test to see if something like what happens in phone/tablet will work in the console space and if they fail they will not revisit but I doubt they will fail, neo is going to sell like crazy to existing ps4 owners imo

I guess that's true too, the power does matter to play PS4 games better. Its def a valid selling point, with all things considered.

Doubt it. I think the Neo is more grow the PS4 platform in an era of quickly evolving x86 hardware and high end PCs. I think by the time Scorpio comes out the PS5 will probably follow a year after. Essentially clipping it's heels. Sony did pretty well last gen despite launching a year after the 360, and I think they will plan better price wise.

While i think Sony are already planning for PS5, i don't think it'll come out a year after Scorpio*2018), that would be a bit too close to NEO, i'm guessing 2019 winter

kadotsu

Banned
Some of these price predictions... Anything below $399 for Neo is a non-starter. Be realistic.

I think the base console will cost $399 but Sony might try to pull of some forced bundling for early adopters. The perfect play would be a Neo+Pro Controller but they would need to announce that first.

injurai

Banned
While i think Sony are already planning for PS5, i don't think it'll come out a year after Scorpio*2018), that would be a bit too close to scorpio, i'm guessing 2019 winter

And I think I could agree with that. What I don't think will happen is it releasing around the same time as the Scorpio, at least a 1+ years out.

Honestly the Scorpio seems extremely premature for Microsoft, but I guess they are going generation-less anyways so it probably doesn't matter.

Some of these price predictions... Anything below $399 for Neo is a non-starter. Be realistic.

A non-starter in what way? The slim is for the mass market and Neo is for the enthusiasts.

For holiday deals maybe, but as official MSRP it will be $299.

If the the Neo is $399 I don't think $100 is enough of a price differential between the two models. People pay an extra $100 for a larger hard drive.

Top Bottom