• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

Neoxon

Foxconn leak was probably about NX.
This

As for the Sony report, I suppose it makes sense. The PS4 Slim would serve as the basic model you can get for cheap, & the Neo can be the premium model for those willing to spend a little more for power.

Kevin

This

As for the Sony report, I suppose it makes sense. The PS4 Slim would serve as the basic model you can get for cheap, & the Neo can be the premium model for those willing to spend a little more for power.

This. I'm guessing $250 for Slim 500gb and $500 for Neo 2TB.

De_Legend

Banned
Why? It is supposedly a premium product and it lets them keep the price of the slim up. A 449.99 NEO lets the slim stay at 299.99 letting Sony make good profits off hardware. There is no competition for a year in the premium market so they can take advantage. The 449.99 gives them room for a price cut to 399.99 at E3 next year to combat the Scorpio. I don't see the point in bringing out a premium Model and not make money off of it. Especially being the market leader people won't like it but will pay the premium.

I just can't see it being more expensive then the PS4 at launch, unless the specs are better then what we think they are at the moment.

Vena

$400 for Neo
$250 for slim. I would have said $300 for OG ps4 but now that there's a slim I'm not sure

400$ Neo with a game.
300$ PS4Slim with a game.

Sony makes more money that way, bundles are the new price-drops (on top of a 50$ MSRP drop anyway), and then for holidays they can drop further or bundle more.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why? It is supposedly a premium product and it lets them keep the price of the slim up. A 449.99 NEO lets the slim stay at 299.99 letting Sony make good profits off hardware. There is no competition for a year in the premium market so they can take advantage. The 449.99 gives them room for a price cut to 399.99 at E3 next year to combat the Scorpio. I don't see the point in bringing out a premium Model and not make money off of it. Especially being the market leader people won't like it but will pay the premium.

Most people who expect over 399 keep hanging onto that single word. "Premium". Its just a higher tier product compared to the original which is going to be much lower in price and is turning into an official budget unit.

That doesn't mean they are not going for viable mainstream customers with NEO and double dippers. They want to hit 2 clear markets both the entree level and the core level, but they still are going to be viable about both of them.

They are not going to price the NEO something crazy like 499 or 599 just because there is a lower tier option.

Expecting NEO to launch higher than PS4 did 3 years ago is not likely IMO.

Damn. Where have you been man? This Neo stuff been rumored since March.

I never really payed much attention to the rumors back then to be honest. By the time I actually bothered to read about the Neo, I had already bought my PS4 :/.

Why not just wait? You waited over 2 years to get a regular ps4.

I'll probably just wait, but the Neo interests me much more than the PS4 when it first launched, especially now that there's a quality lineup of games available and coming out soon.

quest

Not Banned from OT
400$ Neo with a game.

Sony makes more money that way, bundles are the new price-drops (on top of a 50$ MSRP drop anyway), and then for holidays they can drop further or bundle more.

I was thinking the same for a long time. But at those price points the Slim is basically a "Tard pack". You need a 150-200 price point between the 2 IMO to make the slim worth bringing out.

Unknown?

400$ Neo with a game.

But we have packaging pictures that clearly show it doesn't come with a game. I say $299 bundle and $249 standard. $299 with no game is a horrible deal compared to the $349 Black Ops bundle.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
10lbs and 3cm taller Neo will not be $399. Expect $499 minimum

It wasn't officially weighed, it was just a guess from the poster, and even then, a unit with a polaris GPU that size on 16nm and no other general changes is not going to be that much larger or heavier than the PS4. Throw in that XBox S is lower than 300 complete with 4K and UHD and anything that would feasibly increase the price otherwise, and they have to be smart about how they introduce this.

Also...499 MINIMUM? Do you expect them to get raked over hot coals and not sell a single unit? Scorpio would trounce them otherwise, since they would not be lowering their costs within a year that far.

truth411

At 399 Sony will still make a profit, sell more consoles and increase their PS+ subscriptions even more so if Neo was priced at 449. You make your money off Software sales and subscriptions far more than hardware. $399 is the way to go, get as many Neos out there and thus more ps+ subscriptions. Even when Scorpio comes out I doubt folks will subscribe to gold and ps+.

#TeamFake y'all still there?

718.gif

400$ Neo with a game.

No way unless it is just a download code for a first party game like Uncharted 4. It definitely won't be a new game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
But we have packaging pictures that clearly show it doesn't come with a game. I say $299 bundle and $249 standard. $299 with no game is a horrible deal compared to the $349 Black Ops bundle.

I wouldn't count on bundled SKU's until November. I bet it's going to be $299 with no game at launch because people will buy it because it's new. Then they'll bundle games closer to the end of November at the same price.

truth411

I wouldn't count on bundled SKU's until November. I bet it's going to be $299 with no game at launch because people will buy it because it's new. Then they'll bundle games closer to the end of November at the same price.
Yup, $249 is a pipe dream.

quest

Not Banned from OT
At 399 Sony will still make a profit, sell more consoles and increase their PS+ subscriptions even more so if Neo was priced at 449. You make your money off Software sales and subscriptions far more than hardware. $399 is the way to go, get as many Neos out there and thus more ps+ subscriptions. Even when Scorpio comes out I doubt folks will subscribe to gold and ps+.

The market they are targeting for the NEO already has a PS+ sub for almost 3 years now. I don't think they would make much at all at 399.99 you also have to figure in R&D and other expenses. If this was 2 generations ago I would agree with you. Now days Sony is looking to make bank on hardware.

Unknown?

Hmmm that is a likely scenario as well I suppose.

Yea I could see that. But which game. Uncharted 4?

Well, the base bundle for PS4 has been Black Ops III since last november. The Infinite Warfare bundle will obviously be the next big thing. For the holidays, Sony has also Watch Dogs 2 in the pocket if needed. Some bundle with Destiny The Collection would be clever, I think.

A GT Sport bundle could make a bloodbath in Europe, but first party bundles have been unusual I think.

Vena

Given the launch product is 500GB and that it had no game (which you're right and I forgot about), makes me think they didn't actually shave all that much off of the price (and when you start cutting Optical Audio Out, you know you're reaching for price cutting measures). If they had I would have expected a 1TB, or a 1/2TB "special" like the X1S. Not having that makes me think that a bigger HHD brings it too close to the Neo and then the price-difference makes the slim meaningless. Or maybe they didn't think of it like Microsoft had, or the price really didn't fall all that much to keep selling the system at a healthy profit line.

But then again, putting the Slim at 299$ vs. X1S at 299$ with HDR/4K support (and the Halo Collection)... makes me think that couldn't possibly occur (though it'd only be a major point for a market like the US).

Hard to judge. Gut says 299$ but then X1S is 299$. Maybe Sony didn't expect the X1S, maybe they'll undercut it at cost to themselves. So maybe it really will be 250$.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Makes a lot of sense it would let Sony clear out the OG PS4 at a higher price point. That is actually damn good.

Boke1879

That may be the case but your average consumer won't see it like that. THey'll see a cheaper PS4. That and the fact that it's "new" will lead to impulse purchases. $300 is a good barrier for entry for a lot of people.

vpance

It wasn't officially weighed, it was just a guess from the poster, and even then, a unit with a polaris GPU that size on 16nm and no other general changes is not going to be that much larger or heavier than the PS4. Throw in that XBox S is lower than 300 complete with 4K and UHD and anything that would feasibly increase the price otherwise, and they have to be smart about how they introduce this.

Also...499 MINIMUM? Do you expect them to get raked over hot coals and not sell a single unit? Scorpio would trounce them otherwise, since they would not be lowering their costs within a year that far.

Purely going off of dimensions and the description of "very heavy" implies more materials and cost than OG PS4, which means it's probably going to cost more than $399. I certainly wouldn't describe the launch unit as heavy. Something closer to a fat PS3 I would though.

Sony won't sell this at a loss. All rumors on specs are still just that, rumors.

Given the launch product is 500GB and that it had no game (which you're right and I forgot about), makes me think they didn't actually shave all that much off of the price (and when you start cutting Optical Audio Out, you know you're reaching for price cutting measures). If they had I would have expected a 1TB, or a 1TB "special" like the X1S. Not having that makes me think that a bigger HHD brings it too close to the Neo and then the price-difference makes the slim meaningless.

But then again, putting the Slim at 299$ vs. X1S at 299$ with HDR/4K support (and the Halo Collection)... makes me think that couldn't possibly occur (though it'd only be a major point for a market like the US).

Hard to judge. Gut says 299$ but then X1S is 299$. Maybe Sony didn't expect the X1S, maybe they'll undercut it at cost to themselves. So maybe it really will be 250$.

Don't think they will be losing any money at $249. The thing has been out for 3 years and they just made it even cheaper to manufacture.

HeelPower

So is it wise to sell the PS4 now before stores announce new models and massive discounts ?

I think now might be the best before OG PS4 becomes obsolete.

Boke1879

Given the launch product is 500GB and that it had no game (which you're right and I forgot about), makes me think they didn't actually shave all that much off of the price (and when you start cutting Optical Audio Out, you know you're reaching for price cutting measures). If they had I would have expected a 1TB, or a 1/2TB "special" like the X1S. Not having that makes me think that a bigger HHD brings it too close to the Neo and then the price-difference makes the slim meaningless. Or maybe they didn't think of it like Microsoft had, or the price really didn't fall all that much to keep selling the system at a healthy profit line.

it's all about perception. Xb1 has been cheaper than PS4 for a long time now and it still hasn't made a difference. Only last month the XB1 won NPD and not even by that much.

A PS4 at even $300 is going to sell like hot cakes.

Kevin

Considering you can get a 4K Xbox One S for $300, I would be SHOCKED if the PS4 Slim cost anymore then $250 without 4K playback. I doubt it.

$250 - PS4 Slim
$500 - PS4 Neo (with pack-in game code)

Those would be my guesses.

Bsigg12

I'm thinking the Slim will be $299-$349 and all existing base PS4s will receive a $50 dollars off promotion to get stock cleared. The Slim will be $249 this holiday though.

As for the Neo I'm thinking $399-449. $499 is definitely possible though.

injurai

Banned
So is it wise to sell the PS4 now before stores announce new models and massive discounts ?

I think now might be the best before OG PS4 becomes obsolete.

Possibly, but I'm sure these companies keep and eye on these sorts of things. They don't necessarily want a bunch of used OG's around when they are trying to sell the Slim and 4K models.

Vena

Don't think they will be losing any money at $249. The thing has been out for 3 years and they just made it even cheaper to manufacture.

I mean, yes, they cut down on plastics and ports and, seemingly, went with a die shrink but that doesn't suddenly cut 100$ from the price of BoM and the needed R&D costs of the die shrink and all the other overhead that defines a price.

They've been selling the system at 299/349$ (holiday/MSRP) depending on the timing, so I think seeing a drop to 249/299$ (holiday/MSRP), makes sense unless they were selling the OG at like 50$+ profit and want to eat that entirely to drop hard by a 100$ MSRP.

it's all about perception. Xb1 has been cheaper than PS4 for a long time now and it still hasn't made a difference. Only last month the XB1 won NPD and not even by that much.

Well sure, but the X1S just came out.

truth411

The market they are targeting for the NEO already has a PS+ sub for almost 3 years now. I don't think they would make much at all at 399.99 you also have to figure in R&D and other expenses. If this was 2 generations ago I would agree with you. Now days Sony is looking to make bank on hardware.
I doubt the R&D is that much, Neo is not a new console, it's literally a stronger PS4. Also Sony isn't "banking" on hardware, they decided not to loose on hardware and "bank" on software and especially subscriptions. PS+ is highly profitable for them and they collect every year.

wapplew

That obviously changed.
Say there will be no PS4 slim. Which do you think more attractive this holiday? $299 OG PS4 or $299 Xbox one S?
OG PS4 don't have 4K HDR bluray support, should Sony undercut $50 more because of that?

Boke1879

I mean, yes, they cut down on plastics and ports and, seemingly, went with a die shrink but that doesn't suddenly cut 100$ from the price of BoM and the needed R&D costs of the die shrink and all the other overhead that defines a price.

They've been selling the system at 299/349$ (holiday/MSRP) depending on the timing, so I think seeing a drop to 249/299$ (holiday/MSRP), makes sense unless they were selling the OG at like 50$+ profit and want to eat that entirely to drop hard by a 100$ MSRP.

Well sure, but the X1S just came out.

I know that. I mean in general the xbox has been cheaper than the PS4. So both of them being $300 isn't something Sony is worried about. In fact I think it'll increase sales by a lot. They aren't afraid of price parity.

quest

Not Banned from OT
That obviously changed.
Say there will be no PS4 slim. Which do you think more attractive this holiday? $299 OG PS4 or $299 Xbox one S?

For 95% of the population the PS4 and it is not even close. I don't think many value physical media playback. Even last gen the 360 in the US was able to keep price parity with out a bluray player. People are way over valuing the 4k BR player.

truth411

Considering you can get a 4K Xbox One S for $300, I would be SHOCKED if the PS4 Slim cost anymore then $250 without 4K playback. I doubt it.

$250 - PS4 Slim
$500 - PS4 Neo (with pack-in game code)

Those would be my guesses.

I don't understand this logic, Xbox one S is just a slim Xbox. As a game console the PS4 has it beat in specs with the exception of a 4k Blu-ray drive. There is no reason for it to be cheaper with 1080p sets the norm and 4k tvs at only 10% market penetration.

Boke1879

That obviously changed.
OG PS4 don't have 4K HDR bluray support, should Sony undercut $50 more because of that?

Well the PS4 slim was always going to happen. It's clearly been in the cards for a while.

and I really think people are putting too much value on the 4k HDR support. It's a great bullet point, but hardly a factor I believe that people will take into account when buying a gaming console.

It's all about pricing and bundles.

truth411

For 95% of the population the PS4 and it is not even close. I don't think many value physical media playback. Even last gen the 360 in the US was able to keep price parity with out a bluray player. People are way over valuing the 4k BR player.
Yup.

Minions

I honestly don't think Neo is coming out in November. I'd love to be wrong, but the slim coming out makes me think its to bridge the gap to the Neo in spring.

NOOI

Banned
Possibly, but I'm sure these companies keep and eye on these sorts of things. They don't necessarily want a bunch of used OG's around when they are trying to sell the Slim and 4K models.

On the other hand, this also means there would be a 3rd tier of pricing for PS4 other than Neo or Slim; the existing OG PHAT models would soon flood the 2nd hand market and would likely be the cheapest possible PS4 you can buy.

Not so good if you want to trade up, but those who want a bargain might consider an OG model to be the most economical option.

Top Bottom