• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thats great for Sony Fans and All but why can't any one of these guys break news about the Nintendo NX Reveal or Form Factors :/

Since it wasn't confirmed here there is a good chance that psp like device from the earlier rumour was the NX.

I think that if Sony releases a Slim PS4 at an affordable price that gives them some real flexibility with the Neo's price since it will be considered more of a ""hardcore" system. I'm gonna go with $449. If people are bothered with that price, they can get the Slim PS4 which plays the same games.

ViciousDS

Banned
it-begins.gif

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
For some reason, the Slim makes me feel like the Neo will be a ways off yet, perhaps next Spring. This is based on nothing of any substance...

No way. I think they will release it as soon as possible.

sense

LOL! It's not gonna be $249. Sony knows they can sell shit ton at $299 and they will do exactly that.
I really wouldn't outright rule out 249 especially if it doesn't have UHD capabilities. It gives them a clear distinction when they try to sell the neo at a higher price as well. 249 slim for the price conscious and 399-449 neo for the hardcore. Last year Black Friday was 299 uncharted bundle and with the slim being cheaper to produce, I can definitely see them selling 249 bundles for this Black Friday and undercut Xbox one s at the same time

quest

Not Banned from OT
But that's how much the OG PS4 would be without being bundled with a game! I say $299 with a brand new game and $249 with no game.

No it would not be 299.99 with out a game. The bundling is for perceived value it started last generation. Instead of price cuts we got bundles. I highly doubt Sony will sell the slim at near cost at 249.99. They are going to want to make profit like they have the last 2 year on the OG PS4. It will be 299.99 with a game basically is almost 0 cost and lets them add 50 dollars in the pocket per slim sale.

Josh5890

I don't know if this is intentional or not by Sony but I've gotta figure that the slim PS4 will really bring down the trade in value of the regular PS4 for those looking to trade in their system and upgrade to the Neo

Should be $249. Xbox One S can justify $299 because of the UHD drive. This is literally a lower quality version of the current PS4 which $349 with a game. It will sell either way, but I don't think Sonyy would be taking a loss at $249.

I don't know if this is intentional or not by Sony but I've gotta figure that the slim PS4 will really bring down the trade in value of the regular PS4 for those looking to trade in their system and upgrade to the Neo

Mine is going on eBay tonight...

Gamestop were offering $200 value.

Those in the know should've acted accordingly.

injurai

Banned
I wonder if the OG PS4 will have its value increased? Maybe I should keep it...

I think it has value in splitting the difference between the Slim and Neo, but I don't see it holding much value to people that haven't yet purchased a PS4. It will be an overpriced slim where you are simply paying for a premium housing or it will be a gimped PS4 compared to the Neo.

Simply put it splits the difference but becomes no longer compelling beyond being the once desirable first incarnation of the PS4.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You think Sony would bother with a slim that didn't significantly decrease manufacturing costs like all the others in the past have?

Of course but I think they will pass 50 dollars to the consumer and pocket the rest. Nothing Sony has done this generation has pointed to them not wanting to make good money off the hardware this time.

sense

While i think Sony are already planning for PS5, i don't think it'll come out a year after Scorpio*2018), that would be a bit too close to NEO, i'm guessing 2019 winter
Agreed but if Scorpio miraculously takes off and there is demand for more powerful hardware and they are losing users then they might fast track it to 2018. I doubt Scorpio will take off anyways and start sellin huge numbers so ps5 in 2019 is a safe bet.

A non-starter in what way? The slim is for the mass market and Neo is for the enthusiasts.

There are people here saying Neo will be below $399. I'm saying that's crazy talk. As you said, the slim will be mass market price, maybe $299 or even $250 at a stretch. The Neo is for enthusiasts, no less than $399, and maybe more with bundles or hard drive upsells.

Chobel

I really wouldn't outright rule out 249 especially if it doesn't have UHD capabilities. It gives them a clear distinction when they try to sell the neo at a higher price as well. 249 slim for the price conscious and 399-449 neo for the hardcore. Last year Black Friday was 299 uncharted bundle and with the slim being cheaper to produce, I can definitely see them selling 249 bundles for this Black Friday and undercut Xbox one s at the same time

They may go $249 in BF, not because they wanna undercut XB1S, but because they have to match XB1S price. MS is definitely going $249 or lower this holiday.

Unknown?

Of course but I think they will pass 50 dollars to the consumer and pocket the rest. Nothing Sony has done this generation has pointed to them not wanting to make good money off the hardware this time.

When they started selling them in 2013 they lost a small amount of money on them but made it up in PS+/accessories & games. I'm not saying they'd want to sell it at a loss but I think the price to manufacture has dropped significantly since then and in 3 year it has only dropped $50. If it's not $249 standard then I say it will be that as a promotional at the very least!

But as the guy said above adding a game adds value. If the slim is only $50 cheaper than the OG that comes with a full priced game(slim doesn't according to pics) the value won't be perceived as better. Technically it would be a worse value.

There are people here saying Neo will be below $399. I'm saying that's crazy talk. As you said, the slim will be mass market price, maybe $299 or even $250 at a stretch. The Neo is for enthusiasts, no less than $399, and maybe more with bundles or hard drive upsells.

Oh I thought you were saying it was impossible for it to be more expensive than $399. $399 is definitely the absolute minimum.

wapplew

How much that 4K HDR Bluray drive going to raise overall cost?
Without that, how much more room Sony have for a price cut?

rjinaz

$350 Neo seems too good to be true, but my god would it move units at that price. Depends on how much subsequent revenue can be guaranteed per unit sold from software purchases.

I was thinking the Neo was basically just 4k. You're right I think it will be, going to go with $399. Still sticking with my $25o slim base model though.

injurai

Banned
Agreed but if Scorpio miraculously takes off and there is demand for more powerful hardware and they are losing users then they might fast track it to 2018. I doubt Scorpio will take off anyways and start sellin huge numbers so ps5 in 2019 is a safe bet.

That first holiday a year past launch (2018) would probably be the moment where Scorpio get's momentum. It could be wise for the PS5 to get it's foot into the race at that time, because come holiday 2019 the scopio will be hitting it's stride with dedicated exclusives.

If they release in 2019, then two years into the PS5's cycle the 4 year old Scorpio might be ready to be replaced again soon anyways. It would create this really obnoxious staggered generation arms race. But if the Scorpio is a generation-less hale-mary by Microsoft I could see a 2019 PS5 release really hurting Microsoft into the future assuming the Neo can carry Sony that far past the Scorpio's release come 2017. But then again Microsoft might just lean fully into PC hardware at that point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think it has value in splitting the difference between the Slim and Neo, but I don't see it holding much value to people that haven't yet purchased a PS4. It will be an overpriced slim where you are simply paying for a premium housing or it will be a gimped PS4 compared to the Neo.

Simply put it splits the difference but becomes no longer compelling beyond being the once desirable first incarnation of the PS4.

Yeah, its like buying a white OG 360 or an elite after the S came out. Completely pointless.

I don't think there's much likelihood in that globally. I think Sony will stick to the plan they've got. So you and me basically agree about 2019.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You cannot price the Neo at 449 imo

Why? It is supposedly a premium product and it lets them keep the price of the slim up. A 449.99 NEO lets the slim stay at 299.99 letting Sony make good profits off hardware. There is no competition for a year in the premium market so they can take advantage. The 449.99 gives them room for a price cut to 399.99 at E3 next year to combat the Scorpio. I don't see the point in bringing out a premium Model and not make money off of it. Especially being the market leader people won't like it but will pay the premium.

Top Bottom