• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
time to read some books i guess

qQp38YN.gif

Iacobellis

It's going to be either:
  • 199$ Slim, 399$ Neo
  • or 249$ Slim, 499$ Neo
PS4 Slim will need to be at least half the price to even make sense.

Price the Slim too low and people will buy it without even glancing at the Neo. They have to be priced competitively enough for Sony to be able to "up sell" the consumer on the Neo.

"Oh, this is one is more powerful for only an extra $100? I'll take one!"

Price the Slim too low and people will buy it without even glancing at the Neo. They have to be priced competitively enough for Sony to be able to "up sell" the consumer on the Neo.

"Oh, this is one is more powerful for only an extra $100? I'll take one!"
Agreed. $199 would only be throwing a wrench in MS's plans, but it's not worth eating into the sales PS4K. I think Slim $249 // PS4K $399 is the sweet spot.

I'm expecting $249 Slim if its 500GB and $299 for 1TB
and $399 Neo which pretty much has to be 1TB. thats perfection

Edit: looks like im echoing

kurahador

You guys are low balling the price too much. I feel like the slim will be priced the same as regular PS4 and $150 more for NEO.

PS4 Slim = $399
NEO = $549

Can't really afford the Neo atm if I also want to buy games. I hope they dont shit the bed with the performance of games on the OG PS4 *fingers crossed*

N.Domixis

Banned
That did not boost sells in July, dropping it to $250 and heavy HEAVY retail promotions(gift cards/free games) boosted it and BARELY over its competitor.
A normal everyday ps4 sells 10K less than a console on fire sale. They have nothing to worry about. Just do what they do best and get Slim/Neo released.

Dranakin

Sorry, I did a Google search but I found conflicting info: Neo will be revealed on the 7th as the article indicates, but we don't expect it to ship until spring 2017, right?

farisr

Sorry, I did a Google search but I found conflicting info: Neo will be revealed on the 7th as the article indicates, but we don't expect it to ship until spring 2017, right?
There are no specific rumors or leaks indicating when it will actually ship. Initially OsirisBlack said probably Q1 2017, but that was a while ago and he has since stated this year is possible as well.

What we do have is Andrew House's comment on the Scorpio reveal and why they didn't show the Neo at E3, that they now believe the Apple style reveal/release model (aka instant gratification) is the way tech reveals should be done.

So with that in mind, and the Neo being revealed on September 7th, most people in general are expecting it to release this year, probably before December.

But yeah, nothing confirmed by any specific source.

Iacobellis

Or $299, $449.

I'm staying firm on $299/$399 for the Slim and Neo respectively. Sony knows pricing a console above the magic $399 number is risky territory, and it would only hurt the premise of the Neo even more. The extra R&D to go into the console and Neo mode for games would just prove to have as much purpose if the Slim outpaces it by a wide margin.

The Neo isn't designed to be a "premium" console a la the Scorpio, so Sony could stick with a 500GB drive, at least in the beginning. It's safe for them to assume that the core crowd the console is marketed towards might have already purchased higher capacity drives for their current PS4 anyways.

mrmickfran

Y'all crazy for thinking they'll price the slim at $199.

New PS3s still go for that price.

I would never even acknowledge the Neo if they did that.

Griss

Not really concerned with what the slim looks like as if I get anything it would be the Neo. The Neo's industrial design better be a damn sight better than that, though.

Still most interested in:
Just what kind of difference we're going to see between Neo and non-Neo footage
How many games will be patched to support Neo and what effect that has
Which games they choose to highlight Neo's increased power (Horizon feels like a surefire bet)

EDIT: And lol x1000 at the idea of a new PSP or a Vita revision. No. It's dead Jim. Leave it rest in piece.

The Slim will be $249 or $299, but I see the Neo being $449 or $499. House said it's going to be a premium product, so I don't see this being $349 or the original PS4 price of $399

NOOI

Banned
Agreed. $199 would only be throwing a wrench in MS's plans, but it's not worth eating into the sales PS4K. I think Slim $249 // PS4K $399 is the sweet spot.

I don't think Sony needed to have the Slim at $200, because that would almost certainly be the price of a 2nd hand refurbished OG PS4. And they would be available in every videogame store for the next 2-3 years.

Anyone who want the cheapest possible PS4, would have not tried to buy a Slim. My first PS2 was a refurbished 2nd hand model.

I don't think Sony needed to have the Slim at $200, because that would almost certainly be the price of a 2nd hand refurbished OG PS4. And they would be available in every videogame store for the next 2-3 years.

Anyone who want the cheapest possible PS4, would have not tried to buy a Slim. My first PS2 was a refurbished 2nd hand model.
Does Sony have any stake in refurbs? (not that I think the Slim will be $199)

barit

God damn three different hardware launches in such a short period of time? Speaking of overkill

Hope Sony knows what they do

What'll that do?

I'm thinking $299 Slim, $399 Neo, and maybe a big sale on the OG PS4 to phase it out.

I'm just saying that the 4K blu-ray player would be the reason for the Xbox One to supposedly be more expensive than the PS4 Slim. Isn't the Xbox One S one of the cheapest 4K blu-ray players right now?

I don't think MS would have any desperation.

NOOI

Banned
Does Sony have any stake in refurbs? (not that I think the Slim will be $199)

No they do not. But it doesn't matter because anyone who buy a game console would be a customer for more games. The money is in the game sales and the subscriptions. To have a variety of entry prices is good.

And the person who traded in his old PS4 would likely have used that money to buy a PS4 Slim or Neo, so the money ends up at Sony one way or another.

I'm just saying that the 4K blu-ray player would be the reason for the Xbox One to supposedly be more expensive than the PS4 Slim. Isn't the Xbox One S one of the cheapest 4K blu-ray players right now?

I don't think MS would have any desperation.

If the PS4 Slim is $249 (I have huge doubts), then you can be almost certain that MS would be in a "desperation" situation.

They'd need to price drop the XB1 S to at least $249 really, really quickly. They certainly don't want to experience the sales thrashing with a price-advantage PS4, 4K or not.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just backed up my PS4. Resetting the system back to stock.

Taking no chances on resale value dropping even more. SELLING TOMORROW!

If the PS4 Slim is $249 (I have huge doubts), then you can be almost certain that MS would be in a "desperation" situation.

They'd need to price drop the XB1 S to at least $249 really, really quickly. They certainly don't want to experience the sales thrashing with a price-advantage PS4, 4K or not.

Agree but i'm pretty sure MS is desperation 24/7 here.

Price again? What a boring conversation piece.

Any thoughts on what the extra thing the Neo has that hasn't been leaked yet that I saw mentioned in another thread?

B/C would be cool or how about some kind of PC/Steam interaction?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
As a member of #teamreal, I also predict Final Fantasy will be a launch title for Neo. Hence the delay.

Top Bottom