• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

Chobel

That obviously changed.
Say there will be no PS4 slim. Which do you think more attractive this holiday? $299 OG PS4 or $299 Xbox one S?
OG PS4 don't have 4K HDR bluray support, should Sony undercut $50 more because of that?

$299 OG PS4 will be more attractive.

truth411

718.gif
LMAO!!!

farisr

Yeah, even though I was of the opinion that Sony would do just fine at 299 before. After that slim redesign, I now think that Sony needs to drop to 249 (whether it has 4k support or not) in order to go back to their normal sales figures/lead.

The redesign comes off as being really cheap, and mix that with it likely not having 4k support, the XB1S ends up looking like a far more premium console if they were to price it at 299.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, for some reason, with that slim redesign, I now think that Sony needs to drop to 249 (whether it has 4k support or not) in order to go back to their normal sales figures/lead.

The redesign comes off as being really cheap, and mix that with it likely not having 4k support, the XB1S ends up looking like a far more premium console if they were to price it at 299.

But people also buy systems based on games. I don't think the Xbox will look particularly premium when Sony is offering it's strong first party exclusives and relatively cheap VR.

wapplew

But people also buy systems based on games. I don't think the Xbox will look particularly premium when Sony is offering it's strong first party exclusives and relatively cheap VR.

Agree. Console outlook almost never be the deciding factor. 4K HDR thou, DVD did help PS2 gain a lot of ground.

farisr

The general consumer/masses really don't care that much about first party exclusives. When the vast majority of the games library is shared, price is the main factor. When the price is the same. People start judging the value of each one, and looks/apparent quality play a decent part in that.

I'm not talking about people who have done their research about game libraries online before going to the store here, that's a different kind of consumer.

Verendus

Banned
Just in time for The Last Guardian then.

How many consoles have been released since that initial announcement? HOW MANY? Someone needs to answer for this. Someone needs to pay.

injurai

Banned
The general consumer/masses really don't care that much about first party exclusives. When the vast majority of the games library is shared, price is the main factor. When the price is the same. People start judging the value of each one, and looks/apparent quality play a decent part in that.

I'm not talking about people who have done their research about game libraries online before going to the store here, that's a different kind of consumer.

I also think you underestimate how many people buy consoles because their main objective is to get to games, not just enjoy the additional multimedia benefits. If this kind of consumer as you say is significant, it at it's very best will be comparable to the amount of consumers that do go in with knowledge of library exclusives.

If anything it's a null point game, and the One S's 4K video playback is really not giving it any points that the PS4 can't pick up with it's libraries, graphics, and soon to be VR.

quest

Not Banned from OT

I agree but that deciding factor will be what system their friends have that is 75% likely to be PS4. Sony is in the drivers seat to be honest and can milk the slim and NEO for all their worth. They are in such a dominate position they can get away with being priced higher or being a worse value. Sony be foolish not to rack in the big money with 299.99 slim and 449.99 NEO.

BruceCLea

Banned
I honestly don't think Neo is coming out in November. I'd love to be wrong, but the slim coming out makes me think its to bridge the gap to the Neo in spring.

Why would they announce in September? Why? Why not save until PSX? Why announce a premium console before the holiday season and then not release it until the Spring?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 500GB slim September 13th for $200
PS4 500GB neo September 27th for $400
PS4 2TB neo GT Sport (digital download) bundle November 15th for $500

Thoughts???

quest

Not Banned from OT
PS4 500GB slim September 13th for $200
PS4 500GB neo September 27th for $400
PS4 2TB neo GT Sport (digital download) bundle November 15th for $500

Thoughts???

You are nuts there is no way Sony does a near 50% price cut being the dominate market leader. It took what 7 years last generation to get a 199.99 system no way it happens less than 4 years in. I think 249.99 would be foolish by Sony and leaving lots of money on the table. Things have changed in this industry the last 2 generations. The only big price drops we have seen were when 1 company was having Major sales issues. Like the PS3 slim price cut and the Xbone price cuts. The market leader the last 2 generations have been very conservative in price cuts using bundles to avoid them at all costs.

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, Sony should do a 180 and copy the competitor they're absolutely annihilating. You make perfect sense. I stand corrected.
I don't know about you, but whenever Microsoft is doing something, I'm there with a pen and paper, noting everything down. It's tips. It's tips, you know.

It doesn't look at that bad though. You're spot on in regards to price, but can't go around acting like it's an objective fact that everyone is going to dislike the design. When I first saw the thread, I thought it was nice.

injurai

Banned
Unfortunately you are correct we are getting the NEO this year. I was really hoping it would be next year with a Zen CPU. Right now I see no reason to get the slim or NEO unless my PS4 dies.

Zen cpus will be very expensive in order to recoup costs. The PS4 isn't based around Zen so why make the jump to it.

Really if anything should be upgraded with a grand step, it should be the gpu moving to a Polaris architecture, not the CPU moving to Zen.

wapplew

Yeah, Sony should do a 180 and copy the competitor they're absolutely annihilating. You make perfect sense. I stand corrected.

They announce it early because they want costumers to make informed decision, get dev start working, and hey, it boost the sales of July, something must have worked.
Nothing wrong to copy successful strategy.

That leaked PS4 Slim is gonna be the new standard PS4 model.

It's Slim PS2 phasing out the phat PS2 all over again.

"Sony Corp. plans to introduce a new PlayStation 4 standard model alongside a high-end version next month, people familiar with the matter said, in an effort to maintain demand for the best-selling videogame console."

vin-buc

They announce it early because they want costumers to make informed decision, get dev start working, and hey, it boost the sales of July, something must have worked.

Wasn't that from a crazy fire sale - like $250 with 5 games?

Unknown?

That did not boost sells in July, dropping it to $250 and heavy HEAVY retail promotions(gift cards/free games) boosted it and BARELY over its competitor.

lupinko

Anyway this makes a lot of sense because two months ago I was finally going to buy a PS4 from Amazon.jp but I noticed that they weren't in stock. I had to buy from Yamada Labi instead since the third parties on Amazon were exorbitant and when Amazon restocked it was still higher than Labi.

Verendus

Banned
Sony should consider a Playstation Cinematic Universe. It's working for Disney. There's even a market there to capitalize on. MCU was all about white people. So many years, and you had the blacks in the sidekick role at best. But now all of a sudden it looks like there's going to be a Black Panther thing. Obviously Disney feels their hand is forced. It's only one black guy, but I can see it rubbing some people the wrong way. Playstation could fill that niche. No diversity. All white.

We already there when you think about it in a way. Nathan Drake? White. Kratos? White. The guy driving the cars in Gran Turismo? White.

BruceCLea

Banned

what are you talking about? it's been one month. this has never been done before. MS announced the Scorpio in response to Neo. We've known about Neo since March. Developers have been working on it for months. They know the specs. Games releasing in October (2016) and beyond are expected to have a Neo mode. Andrew House spoke about the Scorpio announcement calling it "surprising" because the Scorpio is a year off. In an interview he said they didn't talk about the Neo because they weren't fully prepared. They want to emulate the Apple model and they've talked about it. Announce a product and immediately release it or release it a few weeks later. That strategy has proved successful. The only way your argument holds an iota of water is if Sony wanted to up the specs to match the Scorpio. But we still don't know the specs of the Neo.

LOL! It's not gonna be $249. Sony knows they can sell shit ton at $299 and they will do exactly that.

Sony couldn't be bothered to reduce vanilla PS4 to $299 (official price), even when they knew they had to get rid of the remaining stock while XBOX One had a fire sale.

I heavily doubt as well Sony will cut the price by a whopping $100 right away. $299 it is. And during holiday we'll see the obligatory $249 bundles, don't worry.

wapplew

Sony couldn't be bothered to reduce vanilla PS4 to $299 (official price), even when they knew they had to get rid of the remaining stock while XBOX One had a fire sale.

I heavily doubt as well Sony will cut the price by a whopping $100 right away. $299 it is. And during holiday we'll see the obligatory $249 bundles, don't worry.

If slim at $249, Sony won't forecast 20m shipment, it should be 30m. It's going to be $299.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Resell value on PS4 about to tumble. I want to sell it now but I don't want to be left out in the cold if Neo doesn't hit until November.

Top Bottom