• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
But what would be the point of that? It's not free to do (because even if it is, you loose the opportunity to wait and port it to a more successful hardware), and it would sell almost nothing...

S-E will be the last company to release their games for a cheap price or on limited hardware if they think they can wait and earn more money. You see that from the lack of old games re-releases on any platform.

Would it make sense? maybe, but this is S-E...
FFIII and all the other ff on the psp disagree.
Dd release is still cheaper than retail, so even if you they don't expect a lot of sales it's always better than doing nothing.
They could always release later hd versions like mgs pw, mhp3rd hd and others.

There will never be a major FF release as a digital only release, not as long as there's a physical alternative.
Where's this physical alternative? i don't see the game released on it. Dd only is the cheapest and safest way to bring it here, obviously i would be happy for a retail version too, but this mentality of "retail of nothing" is surpassed, they have to understand it if they don't want to lose lots of potential money.

Takao

Banned
Square Enix is making it a launch title for SCE's relaunched Vita platform with a slimmer design, a phone SKU, and a cheaper price obviously.

I have no clue where it is. It doesn't matter what platform they're releasing it on, it shouldn't take a freaking year to announce what's going on with it. 3DS, PS3/360/Vita or whatevs

Oh, and here's what Type-0 looks like on a PC emulator. If SE could get it looking like this on a console (maybe with some improved textures cause I don't think they'd be able to do that level of AA lol) I'd be fine with it:

java-2012-06-01-20-52-20-87.png

java-2012-06-04-14-21-25-10.png

java-2012-06-03-14-59-30-71.png

java-2012-06-02-22-43-39-31.png

java-2012-06-02-23-01-40-24.png

Via Jediyoshi's posts in the JPCSP thread.

Famassu

Where's this physical alternative? i don't see the game released on it. Dd only is the cheapest and safest way to bring it here, obviously i would be happy for a retail version too, but this mentality of "retail of nothing" is surpassed, they have to understand it if they don't want to lose lots of potential money.
Vita & 3DS have physical media, no? Digital only is NOT a safe way for a game with the kind of budget FF games have.

And FF Type-0's localization is too expensive (it's a massive game with, like, the biggest cast of voice actors a FF has ever had) for a digital only release on handhelds & consoles, especially with the whole "I'll wait for a sale" mentality everyone seems to have nowadays, especially in regards to DD services (though not exclusive to them). Don't bring ports (FFIII)/semi-remakes (Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL) & untouched rereleases (PS1 Classics) into this discussion, those are a whole different matter.

Pooya

maybe they are waiting for 1 year anniversary of the game, only 1 month to go :p

also yeah, I wouldn't expect much Vita support from Square Enix, it's quite obvious.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Type 0 for 3DS. Believe.

My thoughts are basically 3DS, Wii U(hah!), or PS3(who knows when that will happen based on Sony's policies), or bite the bullet and slap it on Vita.

As long as the PSP is outselling the Vita in Japan however things look bleak.

And I honestly expect a International version is likely in the works. Which will release in Japan and then be localized.

Seems logical to me, but the question is on what and when and of course if ever?

I think the best route for Square Enix would be to make a enhanced port (like the international version of the mainline F games) on 3DS and release it worldwide. Some japanese fans would double dip because of the new content and they could release it in the west in good conditions.

They probably thought about porting it to Vita first, but considering the horrible sales of the system, they must have backed out.

Famassu

I think the best route for Square Enix would be to make a enhanced port (like the international version of the mainline F games) on 3DS and release it worldwide. Some japanese fans would double dip because of the new content and they could release it in the west in good conditions.

They probably thought about porting it to Vita first, but considering the horrible sales of the system, they must have backed out.
3DS games sell like shit as well, not really sure if that's at all the better alternative.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vita & 3DS have physical media, no? Digital only is NOT a safe way for a game with the kind of budget FF games have.

And FF Type-0's localization is too expensive (it's a massive game with, like, the biggest cast of voice actors a FF has ever had) for a digital only release on handhelds & consoles, especially with the whole "I'll wait for a sale" mentality everyone seems to have nowadays, especially in regards to DD services (though not exclusive to them). Don't bring ports (FFIII)/semi-remakes (Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL) & untouched rereleases (PS1 Classics) into this discussion, those are a whole different matter.

English texts, japanese voices, here's yours us/eu version.
Think about all the massive costs, time and resources spent on the development of that game, do you really think that relatively small costs like text translation and everything that matters the release in big markets like us and eu would be good reasons to not release such a good(=everyone will take it in consideration whatever the format), famous(= lots of fans that will buy it whatever the format) and expensive(=more it sells the better) game?

PS:
I'm not the one that started with re-releases. ;)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't think Square Enix is very interested in supporting the Vita right now...
Yeah, looks like it. But it's not like it will cost them a lot to port it to Vita/3DS, and there are chances it will turn out to be a profitable thing for them. It just looks like they don't want to take any chances at this stage.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Think about all the massive costs, time and resources spent on the development of that game, do you really think that relatively small costs like text translation and everything that matters the release in big markets like us and eu would be good reasons to not release such a good(=everyone will take it in consideration whatever the format), famous(= lots of fans that will buy it whatever the format) and expensive(=more it sells the better) game?

PS:
I'm not the one that started with re-releases. ;)

I think there was talk about how voices were recorded or at least partially recorded already. So that's not a problem.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
To be fair. As much voicework as there is. That amounts to a mere one half this game contains.

Game is text heavy.

First, the Crimson Codex (732 Files ~ about 50% of the Game's data, maybe less.)
197 Videos that have to be translated and dubbed.
009 Benefit Videos that have to translated and dubbed.
046 Military Files that have to be translated.
040 Strategy Files that have to be translated.
200 Character Files that have to be translated.
023 Eidolon Files that have to be translated.
081 Enemy Files that have to be translated.
020 System Knowledge Files that have to be translated.
016 Mission Knowledge Files that have to be translated.
021 World Map Knowledge Files that have to be translated.

As well as the rest of the game's data (about 50% of the Game's data, maybe more.)
All the Characters Abilities
All the Items
All the World Map
All the Character's Dialogue
All the Enemies and their Stats
All the Moogle Lessons
All the COMM Messages

There is probably as much comm messages as actual cutscene dialogue.

Not joking.

Pooya

those screenshots are awfully misleading, as in they are hand picked ;p . rest of the game doesn't hold up to those cutscenes, not even close.

Level design in dungeons is so basic, I don't think it would be good for a home console, too much copy pasted rooms and simple layouts, yes worse than FF13, at least that had varied scenery and the visuals and textures there won't hold up like those scenes above at all.

the world map, it's pretty much PSX quality, they might as well port FFVII to HD too ;p . and all those awful animated sprites during RTS combat, maaan those will be amaaaazing in HD, they even looked terrible on the PSP...

monsters, monsters are of varied quality, some of them are detailed, some of the are obviously recycled from the old FFs, it won't be pretty.

I think Square Enix still has some pride in the visuals of their games and they just won't push out anything, other than a full remake I wouldn't expect a HD release. maybe that's why it's taking this long? :p the game itself has some serious game killing design problems, it wouldn't be bad idea to redesign parts of it.

Shinta

Banned
I think Square Enix still has some pride in the visuals of their games and they just won't push out anything, other than a full remake I wouldn't expect a HD release. maybe that's why it's taking this long? :p the game itself has some serious game killing design problems, it wouldn't be bad idea to redesign parts of it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The game has very small areas separated by a lot of load time. It's basically the same setup as The 3rd Birthday.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair. As much voicework as there is. That amounts to a mere one half this game contains.

Game is text heavy.

First, the Crimson Codex (732 Files ~ about 50% of the Game's data, maybe less.)
197 Videos that have to be translated and dubbed.
009 Benefit Videos that have to translated and dubbed.
046 Military Files that have to be translated.
040 Strategy Files that have to be translated.
200 Character Files that have to be translated.
023 Eidolon Files that have to be translated.
081 Enemy Files that have to be translated.
020 System Knowledge Files that have to be translated.
016 Mission Knowledge Files that have to be translated.
021 World Map Knowledge Files that have to be translated.

As well as the rest of the game's data (about 50% of the Game's data, maybe more.)
All the Characters Abilities
All the Items
All the World Map
All the Character's Dialogue
All the Enemies and their Stats
All the Moogle Lessons
All the COMM Messages

There is probably as much comm messages as actual cutscene dialogue.

Not joking.
Am i the only one that thinks that text translations are made by a group of prepared people that would made such work in less than a pair of months?

I mean, how much time a description, a dialogue, or else really needs to be translated?
I bet that everyone here that not speaks english would make an almost good translation english- mother language of a description in less than 10 minutes(depending on the lenght), how much time an expert group of translators will need to make all that work?

Lesiroth

This game's situation is quite perplexing really. I mean, we even heard it was being localized some time ago, so I'm not really sure what it's waiting on.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Am i the only one that thinks that text translations are made by a group of prepared people that would made such work in less than a month?

I mean, how much time a description, a dialogue, or else really needs to be translated?
I bet that everyone here that not speaks english would make an almost good translation english- mother language of a description in less than 10 minutes(depending on the lenght), how much time an expert group of translators will need to make all that work?

Hardcore fiends? About a month.

SE People? 3-6 months.

People like me?(little knowledge) 1-2 years

This game's situation is quite perplexing really. I mean, we even heard it was being localized some time ago, so I'm not really sure what it's waiting on.

Lightning's Inside Story. Obviously. Hope you like waiting till E3 2013.

dramatis

I think it's not a localization problem. Development is always where SE games seem to get stuck (FF13, FF10 HD, etc.).

Midou

Descriptions might be easy but dialog can be tricky. Japanese will have terms and saying that don't make sense in the west, so translators have to get creative, come up with an alternative that fits in with the rest of the conversation.

Famassu

If translating text wasn't expensive, then why is it such a pain for XSeed to localize Trails in the Sky Second Chapter? I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people who buy games digitally, especially on handhelds. Also, being a big company, they'd get a lot of shit if the game wasn't also localized to at least French, Spanish, German and Italian (see: Kingdom Hearts 3D with it's limited number of languages it got translated to and how much shit some people gave Square Enix about it).

Also, the sad fact is that not having English VAs DOES affect sales. At least to me it seems that especially in countries with English as their native language, people don't like reading subtitles. English VAs are pretty much a must, if there are VAs at all. And VAs are expensive.

I think it's not a localization problem. Development is always where SE games seem to get stuck (FF13, FF10 HD, etc.).
Just because FFXIII took forever and Versus XIII is taking forever doesn't suddenly mean their every project takes forever. XIII-2, KH3D, Birth By Sleep, Dissidia, TWEWY and such were made within a reasonable time span.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Descriptions might be easy but dialog can be tricky. Japanese will have terms and saying that don't make sense in the west, so translators have to get creative, come up with an alternative that fits in with the rest of the conversation.

Indeed. Certain characters speak in a way a samurai would, mercenary talk if you will(rough-spoken and lacking certain particles), along with military terms used as well.

Along with things that could be interpreted in a different way depending on how it is worded.

Sony and Square just need to work out a crossbuy deal for a PS3/Vita version. That way they'll both win. Sony will have it on the Vita and Square will have it on a platform with a larger install base so that they won't have to worry about the sales.

dramatis

Just because FFXIII took forever and Versus XIII is taking forever doesn't suddenly mean their every project takes forever. XIII-2, KH3D, Birth By Sleep, Dissidia, TWEWY and such were made within a reasonable time span.
Yes, but the ones that take forever to come out are the ones that are usually stuck in some kind of development problem.

I think Type-0 isn't necessarily stuck on a development problem, but rather SE is having trouble figuring out timing, and possibly all the people who were working on porting it to Vita have been pulled out to work on "X|V", which is why it's still not out in the west after a year.

If they decide the project isn't worth the effort, then it'll just never come out in the west.

Is this considered a lot ?
I have no idea how many digital copies they sold, but 700k is pretty good for Japan. It's in the same league as Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. It's not reasonable to expect more than that from a non-mainline Final Fantasy title.

Edit: Yes, my numbers are from Garaph. It's an excellent site.

3DS games sell like shit as well, not really sure if that's at all the better alternative.

Did you really think a FF game will sell like shit on 3DS? It may be not get the wolrd gone crazy but it would sell quite well. Probably an enhanced port to 3DS will be the best solution for the game, they even can launch it in Japan and get extra sells.

Mzo

Either put it out or announce it's been cancelled so the translation project can continue.

I'm playing it either way.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Either put it out or announce it's been cancelled so the translation project can continue.

I'm playing it either way.

Yeah I basically want a confirmation. It's all about Lightning's sad epic. And I don't give a crap about it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The problem with porting it to PS3, is that they would need to do a remake, or heavily improve the quality of the assets, and it will still look like a PS2 game on an emulator, and that may damage even more the FF brand.

Yet Sony did this with the two GOW titles and Konami did it with Peace Walker. If SE was smart they could port both Crisis Core and Type O on one PS3 disc and sell it for at least $50 here in the west. S-E has dhown over and over that they aren't that smart.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Which is a shame because it's actually a pretty great game. It has its issues and there are some very strange design choices, but on the whole I don't regret the 60+ hours I spent on it.

Hell, I still gotta do the second play through.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Which is a shame because it's actually a pretty great game. It has its issues and there are some very strange design choices, but on the whole I don't regret the 60+ hours I spent on it.

Hell, I still gotta do the second play through.

And you have yet to play the alternate and harder story missions and fight the superbosses.

For shame.

Along with bonus dungeons and the grueling tower of agito. Along with a flying thing you can control and stuff.

And you have yet to play the alternate and harder story missions and fight the superbosses.

For shame.

Along with bonus dungeons and the grueling tower of agito. Along with a flying thing you can control and stuff.

You can get last bit in the first run, which is what I did.

There's admittedly a ton of stuff to still do, I just needed to distance myself for a bit. Looks great on the Vita too.

I don't like to think about the game too much because it just makes me angry that the best part of the initial Fabula Crystalililsiusdcjknsdvsis announcement never actually made it westward.

This was essentially my Final Fantasy XIII.

Cornbread78

Sony and Square just need to work out a crossbuy deal for a PS3/Vita version. That way they'll both win. Sony will have it on the Vita and Square will have it on a platform with a larger install base so that they won't have to worry about the sales.

This is best response yet outside my SE sucks now...

The last bit of tangible North American PSP/Vita software sales intel we've gotten is that Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep put up better numbers in its first month on PSP than Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance did on 3DS... albeit on a much larger install base at the time.
It didn't in fact, 3D sold almost exactly the same as BBS 1st NPD. The problem with BBS is the game had no legs, Days on DS sold even less it's first NPD but went on to triple the ltd sales of BBS. Looking at where 3DS is now, and how software is selling, 3D is likely going to have legs as well and also significantly outsell BBS longterm.

As an aside, KH3D has now also outsold every 3rd party Vita game in less than a month.

Top Bottom