• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

Pooya

really can't wait for this X|V train wreck to be over with next year, and XIII too for that matter. maybe in 1-2 years after we finally see some new stuff. it's been soooo looooong and annoying >.< . I just hope there isn't some company wide restructuring and layoffs after X|V bomba.

With the amount of staff and resources SE threw into fixing FFXIV, we can assume they completely stalled several projects in the process. Especially since the new content of the game also needs localization since it's already released internationally.

All FF XIV new content needed already a localization team from 2 years already and SE keep publishing games on the west.

Type 0 team outside of Tabata might have been pulled to help with the XIV team effort.

Probably finished Type-1 framework and got drafted.

But Type 0 is finished and any possible port from the game can be outsorcered....

Maybe Type 1 became stalled, we don't know, but considering how much Type 0 was in production I don't now if it's really relevant.

Apparently a failure that is Wada thought it will be great to throw every team to fix FFXIV approx. 1000 employees.So now everything is most likely on hold.

I'm more inclined to think SE doesn't know what the fuck do with Type 0, than rather that XIV has every SE employee working on it, even every localization member.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All FF XIV new content needed already a localization team from 2 years already and SE keep publishing games on the west.

But Type 0 is finished and any possible port from the game can be outsorcered....

Maybe Type 1 became stalled, we don't know, but considering how much Type 0 was in production I don't now if it's really relevant.

Yeah but I doubt there will be any simple port at this point. The longer it takes the more interest will dwindle.

The main flaw of all titles in FNC was the fact they were announced in 2006 when they were clearly not ready for announcement.

Of course there is the matter of FFX HD which doesn't exist at all. Last you heard of it was a long time ago with there being some sort of programming issue on the Vita which to me is considered BS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People would be wise to just forget about everything SE has said this gen about FF where it doesn't concern Lightning.
95911.gif
Bleh, no thanks.

Even with some of the bad stuff I heard about Type-0's full game, and after having some issues with the demo, I still want to play the full game because the ability system sounds neat to me, and I enjoyed using some of the characters in the demo a lot. Looking at the production value of the thing... people should have a chance to experience the art and visuals in motion. And the soundtrack is pretty good.

They probably put a lot of resources into fixing XIV and thus couldn't pull from stuff to get other games and stuff done? How much did XIV cost?

Pooya

They probably put a lot of resources into fixing XIV and thus couldn't pull from stuff to get other games and stuff done? How much did XIV cost?
we will never know, but considering they had to build it twice lol and have THAT many staff working on it for years, it must be easily their most expensive game yet. not to the mention the opportunity cost of pulling staff from other projects. Spirits Within 2 indeed.

Takao

Banned
Well that's good to hear at least. Hopefully, they can work it out to get D4 on VITA at some point. I wonder what the production/conversion costs were for D3, I wish they would share with other devs to see if it could be done for more RPGs.

It should be stated that NIS's dev costs are rather low even on new productions, so any advice they have to give probably isn't going to help the Square Enix's and Level-5's of the world.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
we will never know, but considering they had to build it twice lol and have THAT many staff working on it for years, it must be easily their most expensive game yet. not to the mention the opportunity cost of pulling staff from other projects. Spirits Within 2 indeed.

At least they left the Bravely Default Staff alone. It's honestly the only upcoming game from Square I care about.

Word was they were going to port to Vita and Westwrn markets would get that version, but that has reportedly been canned. Last chance might be Sony funding Vita port to get software on their handheld.

again, this. likely a better investment than spending the money developing other titles...

Cornbread78

It should be stated that NIS's dev costs are rather low even on new productions, so any advice they have to give probably isn't going to help the Square Enix's and Level-5's of the world.

ya see, now you've gone and pissed all over my hopes that tehy could become a good example on how to get stuff done. Why does SE have to be so imcompitant? they used to be the best....

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
ya see, now you've gone and pissed all over my hopes that tehy could become a good example on how to get stuff done. Why does SE have to be so imcompitant? they used to be the best....

Well since a majority of what made them the best has either left the company(Mistwalker,Freelance or whatever) or is sitting on the backburner, it isn't hard to see them fall like a implacable boulder.

And it's not like we really know what Itou is even up to beyond his recent iOS release.

Cornbread78

again, this. likely a better investment than spending the money developing other titles...

Can we just blow up SCEA and SCEE's twitter accounts with the funding IDEA? maybe we can plant teh seed that grows.... Oh make sure you use the words "trophy Support" and "HD" not just a PSP port... Please and Thank you. If anyone has the handles pass 'em over, I'll tweet 'em all, someone in PR has to read them and scrub, lol.

Well since a majority of what made them the best has either left the company(Mistwalker,Freelance or whatever) or is sitting on the backburner, it isn't hard to see them fall like a implacable boulder.

And it's not like we really know what Itou is even up to beyond his recent iOS release.

*puts head down and...... Sigh"

sorry, so sad that's all I can do anymore...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They might read twitter posts but responding to them is entirely different. "Trophy Support" to me is frivolous and meaningless and is a 5 second distraction and only provides feeble bragging rights on some small accomplishment. But to each his own.

And "HD" doesn't mean much to me since I play the game for the game, not for how good it looks, but I'm one of those people who care not for graphics, but a well executed product.

I'd just like SE to get their priorities straight. That iOS trailer I saw recently just makes me wonder why I still support them.

Cornbread78

They might read twitter posts but responding to them is entirely different. "Trophy Support" to me is frivolous and meaningless and is a 5 second distraction and only provides feeble bragging rights on some small accomplishment. But to each his own.

And "HD" doesn't mean much to me since I play the game for the game, not for how good it looks, but I'm one of those people who care not for graphics, but a well executed product.

I'd just like SE to get their priorities straight. That iOS trailer I saw recently just makes me wonder why I still support them.

So true, but I like my little badges of honor, I just rarely go grazy trying to get them, case and point, I still spend most of my plying time in multiplayer with limited or no trophies and White Knight Chronicles, were trophies are the rarest things out there. I'd just like them to spruce up the game to fit the VITA specs as best as possible.

If Sony cared about the vita they would be paying Square for a updated Vita version for the west.

exactly why we should do some facebook/twitter/PSblogging on the issue to brign some more attention to the request

Anyone know the twitter handles that should be blown up a little?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

What iOS trailer?

And I feel the same way. I don't care about its degree of photorealism or if it has has incredible CG or real time cutscenes or whatever. They like to pour resources into that, but what matters the most to me is: making the art direction the most important thing when it comes to aesthetics (even if the graphics aren't the most high-end), how competent the game plays, how much variety the game gives me in terms of quests, characters to use, skills, and growth, how balanced the game is difficulty-wise/scaling, and how customizable I can be with my party members. (Letting me scroll through the dialogue would be a bit of a plus since I can read faster than the voice actors read the lines, tbh.)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What iOS trailer?

And I feel the same way. I don't care about its degree of photorealism or if it has has incredible CG or real time cutscenes or whatever. They like to pour resources into that, but what matters the most to me is: making the art direction the most important thing when it comes to aesthetics (even if the graphics aren't the most high-end), how competent the game plays, how much variety the game gives me in terms of quests, characters to use, skills, and growth, how balanced the game is difficulty-wise/scaling, and how customizable I can be with my party members. (Letting me scroll through the dialogue would be a bit of a plus since I can read faster than the voice actors read the lines, tbh.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYag-ybCd6Y&feature=plcp

>_> Majority just doesn't appeal to me.

beje

Banned
The complete lack of information about the title makes me think Nintendo has secured some kind of "Final Mix" version as a 3DS exclusive to be released worldwide. Or something like that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The complete lack of information about the title makes me think Nintendo has secured some kind of "Final Mix" version as a 3DS exclusive to be released worldwide. Or something like that.

More power to me I guess.

Nintendo does seem to be gobbling all the good stuff up. Which I'm fine with.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The only way it comes out here is some final mix version for vita or 3ds.

I hope this is not a sign of bravely default localization.

I've been listening to Revo's latest album which is related to BDFF and one of their tracks has an english speaker naming at least 3 different Country names in English at different intervals in the track before making a musical change in direction.

The more you know.

LMN

I hope not, I hope type-0 release on Vita, the system deserve to survive. Can't still get over the fact that Nintendo lock their 3ds.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can you explain why? So they prefer region lock?

Apparently Japan prefers the PSP and I guess 3DS has a better game library, not to mention a decent pricetag and does good on SD cards too.

So I don't really know why. Hard to say.

LMN

Apparently Japan prefers the PSP and I guess 3DS has a better game library, not to mention a decent pricetag and does good on SD cards too.

So I don't really know why. Hard to say.

I agree with you, but it's weird isn't it? consider Vita is PSP successor

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I agree with you, but it's weird isn't it? consider Vita is PSP successor

Well regarding the Vita, I suppose the restricted memory cards, the fact they moved to cartridges(rendering your UMD's completely worthless), PSN issues, a lacking library, as opposed to the PSP where in Japan it is still going strong, it's no wonder Vita is doing the way it is.

Devs are still developing for the PSP as opposed to Vita, either because the system is too complex or the PSP is just easier to manipulate and make stuff with. But only in Japan. Both systems are lackluster in the West. PSP is dead there more or less.

It really depends, and since "we" aren't there to know we won't ever know for sure.

LMN

btw, don't know if it the right place to ask, but I have been wondering. Do Japanese people feel frustrated or angry by region lock at all?

@MagiusNecros - Thanks =), regarding the Vita situation and everything, I hope it survive.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
btw, don't know if it the right place to ask, but do Japanese people feel frustrated or angry by region lock at all?

That's if they need to import. Which from my perspective they generally don't have to.

I mean think about it. How many games that a majority want, are they ever made exclusively in Western territories? The answer is no. They are not.

Yet Sony did this with the two GOW titles and Konami did it with Peace Walker. If SE was smart they could port both Crisis Core and Type O on one PS3 disc and sell it for at least $50 here in the west. S-E has dhown over and over that they aren't that smart.

A Crisis Core/Type 0 double pack released for every HD console and Steam is probably the best choice to make money off both games. What will actually happen is that Crisis Core will remain PSP exclusive for another half decade, and Type Zero will be sent to die as a Vita or 3DS release the same month as Lightning Returns. I have no faith in Square's handling of the FF franchise.

Top Bottom