• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X1 DDR3 RAM vs PS4 GDDR5 RAM: “Both Are Sufficient for Realistic Lighting”(Geomerics)

TheCloser

Banned
In the end it comes down if devs are able to tackle all that power and use the system in an efficiant way, which is basically the work of Sony and MS to provide proper and efficiant APIs/Drivers/Compilers.

While this is true, there are just certain things in the ps4 that give it the edge. Like I said, it's not just the raw power but the approach to designing the console.

Out of curiosity, what difference in CPU performance might be caused by latency differences between GDDR5 and DDR3? Furthermore, though I've seen plenty of talk regarding both consoles' GPUs, what of their CPUs? How will they fare? Jaguar cores aren't exactly performance components.

fair enough

All depends on the memory controller used.

PS1 Disk: 650MB
PS2 Disk: 8.5 GB
PS3 Disk: 50 GB
PS4 Disk: 50 GB

These trends can end suddenly. Wouldn't surprise me if PS5 only shows up with like 16-24 GB of RAM.

Solid guess i think in 2014~2015 we could be using unified memory on pc too with hyper memory cubes mobo and memory controllers need a complete redesign just like gpu.
Would not be surprised if nvidia volta only came with 512mb~1GB of lvl3~4 cache running at 1TB/S and using the unified memory on pc.

ekim

Well I would imagine that MS are working very hard to reduce the footprint of the OS as quickly as possible.
I still don't believe that they absolutely require to consume 3 gigs of resident memory while the game is running. It's ludicrous.

If you want to be able to suspend other another large game or have TV available immediately, I can see why the 3GB are needed. At least MS should offer the option that a game can consume more and thus this fast switch features will be disabled. Just show a message at the start of a game "This game will stop all other games and applications".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's when running current gen ports lol. Crisis 3 running 8xMSAA on Ultra uses up to 3gb vram even at just 1080p. And again, that's a current gen game. Give it a few years and 5GB's is going to seem paltry. There's a reason many devs asked for 8gb vram this time around. Those extra next gen graphical features are costly. Some still too costly even for the next gen consoles.
UE4's Infiltrator demo runs on a single 2GB 680 GTX, AFAIK. I don't think memory is the limiting factor here. I think 4GB of GDDR6 will be the standard GPU config by the end of next year.

Console devs don't have to scrape and scratch for every MB now, so that should help keep costs down. That's the biggest win for them.

ekim

While this is true, there are just certain things in the ps4 that give it the edge. Like I said, it's not just the raw power but the approach to designing the console.

To be fair, MS design doesn't seem less good designed from an effiency standpoint.
If you are interested, the following article gives some insight into the silicon lab @MS:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/building-xbox-one-an-inside-look/

You can totally see that MS did a LOT of customizations in order to have an optimal system for what they want to achieve.

I2amza

Well it's a bit strange that this huge difference hasn't translated to their games, from what they've shown so far.

We know one system is more powerful, saying the difference is huge is a bit of an hyperbole considering what we've seen. Kinda reminds me of how people were saying there would be a big difference in games because of the bluray drive last gen.

Devs for both consoles have been working on unfinalized hardware, and it's likely that PS4 devkits were not finalized until recently, so you cannot expect launch-1st year games to even tap the full, hell even 50%, of the consoles' power.

Wait until the 2nd year or so to start seeing the full potential of each console.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you want to be able to suspend other another large game or have TV available immediately, I can see why the 3GB are needed.

Guess work here. I would imagine that when you suspend a game then that games memory snapshot gets written to the hard drive.

Also, when you snap to TV. I can't see why you'd need a large memory footprint. You're only overlaying graphics on top of the HDMI input signal. It shouldn't be a huge memory hog.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I assume that the 3GB OS footprint on One is to ensure that whatever you're doing (multitasking etc.), the UI remains responsive. Unless you believe that after doing a good job with Windows 7 and 8, Windows Phone 7 and 8 and the 360's OS, MS have completely forgotten how to write OSes with a comparatively small footprint.

ekim

Guess work here. I would imagine that when you suspend a game then that games memory snapshot gets written to the hard drive.

Also, when you snap to TV. I can't see why you'd need a large memory footprint. You're only overlaying graphics on top of the HDMI input signal. It shouldn't be a huge memory hog.

Writing the snapshot to disk would be pain for fast switching afaik. But yeah - I hope they decrease the footprint over time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Writing the snapshot to disk would be pain for fast switching afaik. But yeah - I hope they decrease the footprint over time.

If you are playing a game and then use the OS functions then the game stays in memory. If you move to another game then the current game snapshot has to be written to the hard drive. There is no other way.

Tk0n

i wouldnt bet on the footprint of the os staying the same during this gen. im quite sure that microsoft can find ways to reduce it later on if devs think it constraints the development.

if i remember correctly, sony reduced the os footprint of the ps3 os later on via software update, didnt they?
microsoft even changed the disc format of the 360 later on to free up more space.

Septimius

PS1 Disk: 650MB
PS2 Disk: 8.5 GB
PS3 Disk: 50 GB
PS4 Disk: 50 GB

These trends can end suddenly. Wouldn't surprise me if PS5 only shows up with like 16-24 GB of RAM.

It is very unreasonable to use this as an example of 'ending trends'. First off, PS3 was leagues ahead of the competition. It's also not the limitation of the medium, it's the limitation of the tech. Imagine if Sony were to try and push a new standard this year, after finally having gotten blu-ray through. Vio-Ray this time, 150 GB? Then it's be PS4 ahead of Xbone again in that department to, that's not really required. Remember FFVIII? I do.

This is about adaptation rate. Processing speeds and memory are not affected in the same way, especially when the buses have been largely unchanged for a very long time.

Good for you. It's not guess work. We have been provided with several documents pertaining to both consoles and using the information we have available, then an evaluation can be made. Seeing that I have a background in software engineering and computer graphics(almost graduated) then I can make an assessment and come to a conclusion that my peers will agree with. Like I said, it's a big difference. There is a difference in raw power and a fundamental difference in the design principle. This in turn affects how you develop for both machines.

SenjutsuSage is likely referring to all the interesting conversation happening at B3D at the moment, since he's an active member over there. Even ignoring the upgrade rumors, you have people like Dave Baumann coming in with statements like: "I would wager, that when the ESRAM is used effectively, the performance of the Xbox One's graphics subsystem will far an away outstrip any of those discrete parts you mention." (the discrete parts in question being 7770 GHz Edition and 7790, a 1.28 TFLOPS GPU and a 1.79 TFLOPS GPU respectively).

It's great that you have a background in computer graphics, but from first-hand experience I know that doesn't necessarily make you an authority in this case. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering from a prestigious university, with my master's thesis being from the field of computer graphics, but that still doesn't mean much - my knowledge of modern computer architectures is nevertheless too limited, and the data that is available to us is insufficient. As your peer, I cannot agree with you, we (together with people with far more authority, judging by conversations at B3D and elsewhere) just don't have enough information to be making such definitive statements at the moment.

And making claims like

Please do not mention forza as that game is faking a lot of effects.

is certainly not helping your cause; real-time 3D graphics, as opposed to offline 3D rendering, are all about faking as many things as possible in order to achieve better performance and perceived quality while retaining a high enough level of believability.

TheD

The Detective
SenjutsuSage is likely referring to all the interesting conversation happening at B3D at the moment, since he's an active member over there. Even ignoring the upgrade rumors, you have people like Dave Baumann coming in with statements like: "I would wager, that when the ESRAM is used effectively, the performance of the Xbox One's graphics subsystem will far an away outstrip any of those discrete parts you mention." (the discrete parts in question being 7770 GHz Edition and 7790, a 1.28 TFLOPS GPU and a 1.79 TFLOPS GPU respectively).

Well, without the SRAM it is really up shit creek without a paddle.
That also is not a comparison vs the PS4.
No amount of SRAM will make up for a lack of ALUs and ROPs.

Ushae

Banned
So basically both systems have a lot of RAM and it'll be a while before we see systems use them effieiently. Even 5GB DDR3 is a lot to use? Got it.

Thank god we'll never see muddy textures ever again!

jaosobno

Thank god we'll never see muddy textures ever again!

Yeah, thank god for that!

4.bmp1.jpg

Oh wait...

Yea, keep telling yourself that. As far as I'm concerned, the power gap is huge. It's big on the spec sheet and it's even bigger when comparing the design.

Was there any need for this? If you really think there will be a large performance difference between the two consoles for multi plat games then I think you are wrong. These companies don't want to annoy either side of the fence so they will be close. Maybe framerate will be better on the PS4 depending on the game bot overall it's not going to be massively different.

How about coming in with a less aggressive post because then you end up looking like an ass. I know the PS4 is more powerful in many ways from what we have heard and discussed in a million threads but it doesn't mean that will necessarily translate to all 3rd party games straight away.

As I said, 1st party games are where the differences will really show IMO and I can't wait for ND to get to grips with the PS4

Beyond3D has become a cesspool of Microsoft boosters, Xbox fan wankery and wishful thinking. Any credibility Beyond3D once had has been fucked off by shit Mods pushing their own Xbox centered agenda.

32mb of ESRAM isn't suddenly going to make the GPU 50% more powerful, give more ram to developers, improve yields or match the bandwith of the 7gigs of GDDR5.

End of story.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Its using an engine as old as cod:Ghost.

The first game to use id Tech 3 was Q3A in 1999, the first game to use Source was CS:S in 2004. That's a five year difference.

I agree that cross-platform games on old engines are not a good barometer though.

iceatcs

Then I can't see how you can state so categorically that there is going to be a huge performance difference.

I do believe we are missing several pieces of this puzzle because so far, some of the Xbox One's launch games look better then what's on PS4. If the PS4 was really that much more powerful and easy to develop for as we have been lead to believe on GAF then that simply should not be the case.
Don't forget, Xbox one development way earlier than PS4. Almost one year gap.

HyperionX

It is very unreasonable to use this as an example of 'ending trends'. First off, PS3 was leagues ahead of the competition. It's also not the limitation of the medium, it's the limitation of the tech. Imagine if Sony were to try and push a new standard this year, after finally having gotten blu-ray through. Vio-Ray this time, 150 GB? Then it's be PS4 ahead of Xbone again in that department to, that's not really required. Remember FFVIII? I do.

This is about adaptation rate. Processing speeds and memory are not affected in the same way, especially when the buses have been largely unchanged for a very long time.

Same thing happened with clockspeed though:
PS1: 33Mhz
PS2: 300Mhz
PS3: 3.2 Ghz
PS4: 1.6 Ghz(?)

Pretty much everything will run into a limit eventually. My hunch memory will be the next one to slow down. In fact, suppose that we did get something like 80-128 GB of RAM next gen. How would you fill it up? Disks probably won't be bigger than 100-200 GB. That's basically a whole disk in memory at once. Fat chance at gigabit internet coming to everyone anytime soon either.

Can't wait for this generation to start, then PCs will finally become obsolete due to that massive amount of GDDR5. No PC can follow that at such a low price point, we'll be gaming in 8k at the end of the generation on the PS4 with all that power. Man it's going to be so awesome watching the salt unfold.

Eventually consoles will evolve to just a stick of GDDR5 RAM that will run everything at infinity framerates, no GPU and CPU needed or anything.

TheD

The Detective
If BF4 and MGS5 can 1080p@60fps deliver then we can say yes this is next gen.

Both CoD Ghosts and Titanfall's engines have very little code in common with Idtech3 and Source, at the very, very least they have whole new renderers!

FINALBOSS

Banned
I honestly beleive to take full advantage of the PS4s 7gb for graphic fidelity you will either need a budget several times larger than current norms or at least a years extra dev time.

So basically that rules out everyone bar naughty dog

I expect this to be the main use of it. Seemless transitions between levels.

That is just flat out wrong dude. So wrong.

A large portion of development time was trying to get everything to fucking fit in the limited RAM space.

You honestly thinking making use of the leg room is going to cost an even larger increase in dev time? Lol. Backwards as hell.

jaosobno

If BF4 and MGS5 can 1080p@60fps deliver then we can say yes this is next gen.

So? Does that mean that developers using Source are not allowed or able to use higher resolution textures?

BF4 was running on a high end PC, so let's not bring that into discussion. MGS5 had plenty of low res textures.

Having plenty of RAM doesn't guarantee sharp textures. Sure, it helps but aren't you limited by a number of TMUs in your GPU?

TheCloser

Banned

It's great that you have a background in computer graphics, but from first-hand experience I know that doesn't necessarily make you an authority in this case. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering from a prestigious university, with my master's thesis being from the field of computer graphics, but that still doesn't mean much - my knowledge of modern computer architectures is nevertheless too limited, and the data that is available to us is insufficient. As your peer, I cannot agree with you, we (together with people with far more authority, judging by conversations at B3D and elsewhere) just don't have enough information to be making such definitive statements at the moment.

And making claims like

is certainly not helping your cause; real-time 3D graphics, as opposed to offline 3D rendering, are all about faking as many things as possible in order to achieve better performance and perceived quality while retaining a high enough level of believability.

Good to know but I do not follow B3D and that statement by Dave guys statement is 100% false. You cannot perform at a higher level than your theoretical maximum. This is a fact you can take to the bank. His comments about the Xbox one graphics subsystem is 100% wrong as if all things were kept equal and the gpus were swapped out, you would achieve better performance on the high-performance gpus mentioned in your quote. The Xbox one will never out perform the ps4. At this point, I have heard and read enough bogus on both gpus, it's not funny. Again, you are right, I'm not more qualified than you but that doesn't mean I'm not right. The proof will be in the pudding. I'm not hyping either console but the fact that people are debating a well known truth is mind boggling. There really is a defense force for everything. When Microsoft tells you that we purposely didn't make the most powerful console, I don't know what anyone is arguing about. Either way, I'm going to bed. I have to be at work in 5.5 hours and this argument is pointless. I am just banging my head against a brick wall. Btw, when I said forza was faking things, I was referring to baked lighting among the list of other things I don't feel like mentioning.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What a surprise you showed up in a thread that might have the potential to shit on the Xbox One when talking about power.

Laff.

What potential is there, though? The dude in the OP says 'they'll both be fine', which apparently has to be spun as 'PS4 will be fine but they're lying about Xbone for PR reasons', seemingly for no real reason but for another round of shitting on Xbone over things that virtually nobody outside of viral marketers and Xbone weirdos denies. It's a shame that 'both consoles are powerful enough for cool lighting' turned into 'Xbone is not powerful enough for cool lighting for unspecific reasons and borderline wishful thinking'. Why perpetuate it?

This makes no sense to me.
Artists & coders spend a HUGE amount of time squeezing their assets into available VRAM. Dropping the resolution and detail in textures until the fuckers finally fit and both parties can settle on a compromise.

Now they don't have to do that, the textures can be used raw, anytime you go up to a noticeboard in a game you should be able to read every note. They can use the raw assets now without having to spend time and money reducing them to fit inside 256/512mb or less.
Seems like a huge time & money saver to me. Geometry isn't a problem either, zbrush & tesselation saves time there, and our poly count is already high, this isn't like the SD-HD jump where a whole new level of modeling had to be learned.

Im not a developer...I was just going off what I have read, here and elsewhere. Dont shoot me...

FINALBOSS

Banned
What potential is there, though? The dude in the OP says 'they'll both be fine', which apparently has to be spun as 'PS4 will be fine but they're lying about Xbone for PR reasons'. It's a shame that 'both consoles are powerful enough for cool lighting' turned into 'Xbone is not powerful enough for cool lighting for unspecific reasons and borderline wishful thinking'. Why perpetuate it?

Because it said versus in the title? Why else would he show up. Besides he wasn't even talking about the comparable power of PS4 and Xbone. He was comparing the systems ram availability to previous gen. And everyone saying "PR reasons" certainly makes a case since this guy peddles in middleware. Why would he ever mention anything specific about relative power aside from the little snipit at the end for PS4?

And to the people saying "Well the power difference hasn't shown yet in the early games Sony has showed!!!" Well, no shit. Developers were operating on the assumption that the system had 4GB right up until Feb.

Yeah, thank god for that!

4.bmp1.jpg

Oh wait...

Eh, those are pretty good. I guess you're referring to the legs being "muddy", but that's just down to the UV unwrap. If people start using PTex or something then this would be solved. Nvidia was pushing it at GDC but I haven't heard many people sold on it yet.

Actually ptex might be the most "next gen" feature out there in the pool, but I am not sure anyone is actually going to use it.

Here: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/Borderless Ptex.pdf

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Because it said versus in the title? Why else would he show up.

The take-home message here is 'both are sufficient' as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there'll be plenty of things in two years time that you can look at on PS4 and say 'so that's where my 7GB GDDR5 RAM is going', if you're so inclined, I don't see why it's necessary to assume that the guy is lying.

FINALBOSS

Banned
The take-home message here is 'both are sufficient' as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there'll be plenty of things in two years time that you can look at on PS4 and say 'so that's where my 7GB GDDR5 RAM is going', if you're so inclined, I don't see why it's necessary to assume that the guy is lying.

Assume who is lying? The Dave feller at B3D or Sage?

If you're talking about Dave I never said he was lying. It's in his best interest to talk up both consoles since, I dunno, he works for AMD? Heh.

As for Sage..if you were familiar with his posts you would know why I brought it up in the first place. Dude is #1 A+ MS defense force member. Pretty sure he even has a letterjacket to go along with it.

Wth? It's the other way around. It's been well reported that Xbone's development tools were 6 months behind

Tools =/= dev time. Sony devs learned about the 8gb of ram in February along with everyone else.

Also, notice the steady stream of PS3 exclusives this year compared to MS?

Top Bottom