• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X1 DDR3 RAM vs PS4 GDDR5 RAM: “Both Are Sufficient for Realistic Lighting”(Geomerics)

Don't forget, Xbox one development way earlier than PS4. Almost one year gap.

bender-futurama-laughing-oh-wait-youre-serious-laugh-harder-13665020235.gif

TheD

The Detective
Eh, those are pretty good. I guess you're referring to the legs being "muddy", but that's just down to the UV unwrap. If people start using PTex or something then this would be solved. Nvidia was pushing it at GDC but I haven't heard many people sold on it yet.

Actually ptex might be the most "next gen" feature out there in the pool, but I am not sure anyone is actually going to use it.

Here: https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/Borderless Ptex.pdf

The texture is of a lower res than it needs to be.
(and on a side note, that is some OG xbox poly count on the legs).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Assume who is lying? The Dave feller at B3D or Sage?

If you're talking about Dave I never said he was lying. It's in his best interest to talk up both consoles since, I dunno, he works for AMD? Heh.

As for Sage..if you were familiar with his posts you would know why I brought it up in the first place. Dude is #1 A+ MS defense force member. Pretty sure he even has a letterjacket to go along with it.

I'm talking about the fact that you claimed 'this thread has the potential to shit on Xbone' even though the guy this thread is about says 'both next-gen consoles will be fine in this regard'. That takes some impressive spin, which posters on the first page are already engaged in by accusing him of lying for PR reasons.

I agree that the 'vs' in the title isn't particularly helpful though.

p3tran

Banned
problem is, sony 1st party does not demonstrate any extra power, yet.
it almost looks the other way right now.

We will see how things wrap up as we get closer to launch.

Assume who is lying? The Dave feller at B3D or Sage?

If you're talking about Dave I never said he was lying. It's in his best interest to talk up both consoles since, I dunno, he works for AMD? Heh.

As for Sage..if you were familiar with his posts you would know why I brought it up in the first place. Dude is #1 A+ MS defense force member. Pretty sure he even has a letterjacket to go along with it.

Tools =/= dev time. Sony devs learned about the 8gb of ram in February along with everyone else.

Also, notice the steady stream of PS3 exclusives this year compared to MS?

And how are you going to develop for a console without the tools? Is it the power of the cloud?

Steady stream? Sony showed off some exclusives in Feburary. Where are the steady stream for MS? We only saw gameplay demos for Titanfall, Ryse and Dead Rising.

ekim

I'm talking about the fact that you claimed 'this thread has the potential to shit on Xbone' even though the guy this thread is about says 'both next-gen consoles will be fine in this regard'. That takes some impressive spin, which posters on the first page are already engaged in by accusing him of lying for PR reasons.

I agree that the 'vs' in the title isn't particularly helpful though.

My fault - copy paste from the article :(

Ushae

Banned
Lol, you of all people is talking. Dude, your history of well documented. I have read a lot of your posts and they are quite lol worthy. Finally, trust me when I say I'm more qualified to make an assessment of the technology. I know what I'm talking about.

Enlighten us please.
I'm serious, genuinly curious.

FINALBOSS

Banned
And how are you going to develop for a console without the tools? Is it the power of the cloud?

Steady stream? Sony showed off some exclusives in Feburary. Where are the steady stream for MS? We only saw gameplay demos for Titanfall, Ryse and Dead Rising.

Lacking complete tools doesn't equal no tools at all.

And another for Mr SenjutsuSage who seemingly LOVES to keep bosting that Dave Baumann quote. If that quote had any basis in reality, it would have been quoted and discussed 9000 times in B3D. You've quoted it more times than posters there did...that says something.

ekim

And another for Mr SenjutsuSage who seemingly LOVES to keep bosting that Dave Baumann quote. If that quote had any basis in reality, it would have been quoted and discussed 9000 times in B3D. You've quoted it more times than posters there did...that says something.

IMHO, that quote just implies what everyone is knowing: with a proper API and proper coding, a GPU in a closed system is mostly more efficient than it's equivalent in a PC and thus has better performance.

--> that also applies to PS4

bj00rn_

Banned
do not mention forza as that game is faking a lot

Ok, let me get this straight; So you're saying there's two types of graphics:

1. Faked graphics
2. Real graphics

And you're saying that we should avoid number 1, right? Yeah, don't want any of that faked graphics. Why are developers allowed to use faked graphics anyway, I think they should be boycotted, those dums are thinking we will let ourselves be fooled with faked graphics like that. Anyway, good to know. It's nice to have an expert like you around here explaining it to us, coherent, articulate and rational.

FINALBOSS

Banned

1. Faked graphics
2. Real graphics

And you're saying that we should avoid number 1, right? Yeah, don't want any of that faked graphics. Why are developers allowed to use faked graphics anyway, I think they should be boycotted, those dums are thinking we will let ourselves be fooled with faked graphics like that. Anyway, good to know. It's nice to have an expert like you around here explaining it to us, coherent, articulate and rational.

Pretty sure he was talking about baked effects. Relax brah.

1. Faked graphics
2. Real graphics

Faked being things like baked lighting. I haven't really paid attention but a lot of people claim that Forza is using static lighting rather than dynamic lighting that is generally found in most higher profile games these days.

That is not just some UV problem, The texture is of a low res
(and on a side note, that is some OG xbox poly count on the legs).

It's low res because of the UV unwrap. Even with a character using 2048x2048 texture (better than 1:1 at 1920x1080...) your unwrap distributes that resolution variably across the mesh. Legs getting less resolution than arms makes a lot of sense for an FPS model, plus it's probably exacerbated by the skinning. It's fixable by increasing your texture resolution but at some point (probably between 2048 and 4096) you hit diminishing returns for your screen size.

Ptex gives you variable resolution per-quad so this kind of thing would be less likely.

I dunno if you know all of this already or not, your post could be interpreted either way.

Without complete tool, certain features can't be developed. That's why all Xbone games were running on a Windows 7 platform with high-end specs. I do know that with optimization and tunning of the code they can get it running just fine on the final hardware, but what everyone saw is not it's going to be.
Don't expect the X1 version of Titanfall to be like it was shown (not that I was blown away, because I was not. Looks like a mix of Tribes with Mechs. Not my type). And the private demos of Dead Rising 3 had very serious issues with the framerate, going into single digits, which the developement wouldn't say a word about the development process.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Without complete tool, certain features can't be developed. That's why all Xbone games were running on a Windows 7 platform with high-end specs. I do know that with optimization and tunning of the code they can get it running just fine on the final hardware, but what everyone saw is not it's going to be.
Don't expect the X1 version of Titanfall to be like it was shown (not that I was blown away, because I was not. Looks like a mix of Tribes with Mechs. Not my type). And the private demos of Dead Rising 3 had very serious issues with the framerate, going into single digits, which the developement wouldn't say a word about the development process.

Why are we even arguing? I agree with you 100% lol.

Kysen

I still remember the pain of trying to run bad company 2 on 2GB RAM. Was the first time I had to upgrade my RAM. A difference of 2GB might seem like nothing now but when on the backend of a console generation every little bit counts.

FINALBOSS

Banned
SenjutsuSage is likely referring to all the interesting conversation happening at B3D at the moment, since he's an active member over there. Even ignoring the upgrade rumors, you have people like Dave Baumann coming in with statements like: "I would wager, that when the ESRAM is used effectively, the performance of the Xbox One's graphics subsystem will far an away outstrip any of those discrete parts you mention." (the discrete parts in question being 7770 GHz Edition and 7790, a 1.28 TFLOPS GPU and a 1.79 TFLOPS GPU respectively).

It's great that you have a background in computer graphics, but from first-hand experience I know that doesn't necessarily make you an authority in this case. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering from a prestigious university, with my master's thesis being from the field of computer graphics, but that still doesn't mean much - my knowledge of modern computer architectures is nevertheless too limited, and the data that is available to us is insufficient. As your peer, I cannot agree with you, we (together with people with far more authority, judging by conversations at B3D and elsewhere) just don't have enough information to be making such definitive statements at the moment.

And making claims like

is certainly not helping your cause; real-time 3D graphics, as opposed to offline 3D rendering, are all about faking as many things as possible in order to achieve better performance and perceived quality while retaining a high enough level of believability.

Come on mang. If that statement carried any water whatsoever, B3D would have blew up over that statement. All it managed to equate was a few people who quoted it. SenjustuSage alone has reposted that statement more times than anyone else on the damn intrawebz.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

With FUD this good, you should work for Sony.

Feindflug

problem is, sony 1st party does not demonstrate any extra power, yet.
it almost looks the other way right now.

We will see how things wrap up as we get closer to launch.

While Infamous and Killzone look great they are definitely not showing the difference that the 1st party titles had on the PS3.

Maybe now that the hardware is easy to develop for the gap between the 1st and 3rd party games will be much smaller like it was on the 360? I guess we'll know for sure in a couple of years.

Either way I'm sure we're gonna see some amazing looking games this gen from both systems...graphics is the least of my concerns about next gen to be honest.

tzare

1. Faked graphics
2. Real graphics

Well, you are taking this a bit too far aren't you?
The point is that developers may choose what they see fit for their games, but obviously prebaked lightning vs real time has a different impact on the game engine performance and may prevent from achieving 60 fps for example. I think Forza tries to deliver the best visual quality but using last gen standards for example, and probably is the right choice so early this generation, as most people won't care/notice. Instead evolution is trying to deliver a next gen visual experience, but may end being a bad choice if they cannot reach 60fps. But obviously the second one is what i would expect to be the norm for both PS4 and XBone, as well as being 1080p native and hopefully 60 fps when needed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
[...] you have people like Dave Baumann coming in with statements like: "I would wager, that when the ESRAM is used effectively, the performance of the Xbox One's graphics subsystem will far an away outstrip any of those discrete parts you mention." (the discrete parts in question being 7770 GHz Edition and 7790, a 1.28 TFLOPS GPU and a 1.79 TFLOPS GPU respectively).
That statement is not to be read as PS4 vs. Xbox One.

He is not comparing the PS4 architecture and specs and the Xbox One architecture and specs, despite two variables being the same that if quoted without context it could appear that way.

And that's before even analyzing what Dave Baumann even said.

Dereck

I feel like whenever I want to get serious and try understand what all of this shit means, and what system is more powerful than the other, I can never seem to find a clear cut and dry explanation, the fuck do all of these numbers mean?

Is the Wii more powerful than the XBOX? Is the Vita more powerful than the XBOX? How powerful is the PS3? Is the PS4 more powerful than the XB1? Someone please help me!

FINALBOSS

Banned

He is not comparing the PS4 architecture and specs and the Xbox One architecture and specs, despite two variables being the same that if quoted without context it could appear that way.

There's a reason why B3D Xbox Fan's Heaven weren't up in arms over the statement.

I feel like whenever I want to get serious and try understand what all of this shit means, and what system is more powerful than the other, I can never seem to find a clear cut and dry explanation, the fuck do all of these numbers mean?

Is the Wii more powerful than the XBOX? Is the Vita more powerful than the XBOX? How powerful is the PS3? Is the PS4 more powerful than the XB1? Someone please help me!

Specs alone the PS4 is ~50% more powerful than the Xbone. You can now sleep at night.

I never said he was, we can't realistically compare the two at the moment. However, he (just like other notable members there, like ERP) is suggesting that the raw performance figures of discrete components do not even begin telling the whole story - funnily enough, that's the same thing Albert Penello was saying, and he got laughed out over here.

benny_a

I never said he was, we can't realistically compare the two at the moment. However, he (just like other notable members there, like ERP) is suggesting that the raw performance figures of discrete components do not even begin telling the whole story - funnily enough, that's the same thing Albert Penello was saying, and he got laughed out over here.
No no no no no. He is not comparing the specs of the Xbox One and the PS4. You keep implying that he did.

Just because one has 1.2 TFlops and the other spec has 1.8 Tflops does not mean it is comparing the two. There are 6 other lines in his comparison that are not from the real-world but are theoretical in nature to further the understanding of the person asking a question.

You're just co-opting it to troll the good people of GAF.

It takes me 10 seconds to come up with a scenario where the 1.2TFlops GPU beats the 1.8Tflops GPU if I vary every other variable in a system. That does not translate to that the 1.2TFlops GPU is better than the 1.8TFlop GPU.

Ushae

Banned
How did this turn into a X1 vs PS4 thread .. again? Isn't the OP about a developer stating there are ample resources on both platforms and that's it?

Was there any need for this? If you really think there will be a large performance difference between the two consoles for multi plat games then I think you are wrong. These companies don't want to annoy either side of the fence so they will be close. Maybe framerate will be better on the PS4 depending on the game bot overall it's not going to be massively different.

How about coming in with a less aggressive post because then you end up looking like an ass. I know the PS4 is more powerful in many ways from what we have heard and discussed in a million threads but it doesn't mean that will necessarily translate to all 3rd party games straight away.

As I said, 1st party games are where the differences will really show IMO and I can't wait for ND to get to grips with the PS4

It's weird when people claim this yet every single gen has shown to do the exact opposite.

benny_a

I honestly don't know where you got that. TheCloser was comparing the two based on the leaked discrete component numbers, I just said it's not as simple as that.
I'm pointing out that your rebuttal is flawed, because it's not based on a like-for-like comparison.

You're using Dave Baumann's reply for something more than was intended in the context of the thread you copied it from.

Just so it doesn't look like I'm only disagreeing with you: TheCloser initial argument can also be dismissed because he was making an appeal to authority.
I thought Sethos already highlighted that so I didn't bother to quote him.

I'm pointing out that your rebuttal is flawed, because it's not based on a like-for-like comparison.

You're using Dave Baumann's reply for something more than was intended in the context of the thread you copied it from.

I don't see how it is, and I don't see how I am, but whatever, keep going at it.

DBT85

How did this turn into a X1 vs PS4 thread .. again? Isn't the OP about a developer stating there are ample resources on both platforms and that's it?

No talk.

Pick a side, your weapon of choice and your Personalised War Cry®. Have at it.

iceatcs

Wth? It's the other way around. It's been well reported that Xbone's development tools were 6 months behind

I've heard it too. I bet it's because Xbox one has been lot of changes that might have caused some tools delay. It went Intel, ARM then AMD.

But most of their games have been more develop on the intel xbox dev kit before the AMD one.

It's weird when people claim this yet every single gen has shown to do the exact opposite.

I don't understand why you would think that and not provide anything to back that up.

Do you really think that companies intentionally want to annoy their customer base by making a game that is multi plat but is inferior on one console? Did Bethesda want those issues on the PS3 version of Skyrim that garnered all the hate they got? No of course they didn't want that.

The different architectures of the past consoles made coding difficult for each platform. Now with both consoles running similar architecture it shouldn't be as big of an issue.

Perkel

Banned
I don't understand why you would think that and not provide anything to back that up.

Do you really think that companies intentionally want to annoy their customer base by making a game that is multi plat but is inferior on one console? Did Bethesda want those issues on the PS3 version of Skyrim that garnered all the hate they got? No of course they didn't want that.

The different architectures of the past consoles made coding difficult for each platform. Now with both consoles running similar architecture it shouldn't be as big of an issue.

Dude if consoles have different power they will not have parity. X360 and PS3 did not have exact same quality and they were power wise almost the same.

PS4 now is almost 50% more capable and developers will use that. Better framerate, better effects, better resolution you name it. Maybe even some effects that will not be present on Xbone

TheD

The Detective
It's low res because of the UV unwrap. Even with a character using 2048x2048 texture (better than 1:1 at 1920x1080...) your unwrap distributes that resolution variably across the mesh. Legs getting less resolution than arms makes a lot of sense for an FPS model, plus it's probably exacerbated by the skinning. It's fixable by increasing your texture resolution but at some point (probably between 2048 and 4096) you hit diminishing returns for your screen size.

Ptex gives you variable resolution per-quad so this kind of thing would be less likely.

I dunno if you know all of this already or not, your post could be interpreted either way.

It is unlikely that the arms and legs are part of the same model (and it is not just the legs that look like arse, the floor is also showing some really crappy textures).

Dude if consoles have different power they will not have parity. X360 and PS3 did not have exact same quality and they were power wise almost the same.

PS4 now is almost 50% more capable and developers will use that. Better framerate, better effects, better resolution you name it. Maybe even some effects that will not be present on Xbone

I'm getting a PS4 so I hope they do go all out on it's power. What I'm trying to do though is look at this from the publishers view instead of looking at the potential with the difference in power between the consoles.

I could be way off the mark and they could make games that are clearly far superior on the PS4 but I think companies will be vary of doing too much because gamers are fickle and could be put off from buying something on the Xbox if they see it's better on the PS4 graphically. Time will tell.

There has always been a performance gap between plenty of multiplatform games. No dev is going to intentionally gimp one version just to keep parity, it's never happened and it won't start. Ubisoft didn't gimp the xbox version of Splinter Cell, which was vastly superior just keep Nintendo and Sony happy. If you wanted the much better experience that was closer to the pc version, you bought it on the xbox. If you didn't care, then go with the gc and ps2 versions.

And people were annoyed with the PS3 version of Skyrim because it was borderline broken, if a 360 version existed people would still be annoyed. It had nothing to do with a superior version being vastly better.

I could be way off the mark and they could make games that are clearly far superior on the PS4 but I think companies will be vary of doing too much because gamers are fickle and could be put off from buying something on the Xbox if they see it's better on the PS4 graphically. Time will tell.

Why would they care which version they bought? As long as you bought a copy it's good enough. What consumer has ever looked at a game their interested in and said said "Wow, the _____ version looks much better, I guess I'll buy neither."

Something, something, pot, kettle, black.

Seriously, he's right.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1763939&postcount=4710

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1763889&postcount=4704

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1763153&postcount=4649

Seriously, it's getting sad and the mods at B3D won't ban these idiots so the forum is basically becoming unreadable right now. Rangers/specialguy/Tyrone is in full on melt down mode right now grasping at as many straws as possible and juniors/newly registered posters who post "inside information" get taken seriously over there despite none of these ever turning out to be right.

Top Bottom