• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

MaulerX

Man, this whole BC thing is becoming huge in my household. My kids absolutely love Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts, Keflings etc... Now they pretty much took over my XB1, lol.

ShogunX

Wow, never even knew Gears had been added. The preview invite thread shooting back up on GAF had me suspicious and here we are.

So are all three games working or just the original at the moment?

Man, this whole BC thing is becoming huge in my household. My kids absolutely love Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts, Keflings etc... Now they pretty much took over my XB1, lol.

I still cherish my time with Viva Pinata and I'm a 32 year old Dad of three with two kids in high school :)

Bsigg12

Wow, never even knew Gears had been added. The preview invite thread shooting back up on GAF had me suspicious and here we are.

So are all three games working or just the original at the moment?

I still cherish my time with Viva Pinata and I'm a 32 year old Dad of three with two kids in high school :)

Sorry to get off topic but...high school typically starts with freshman around age 14/15 right? So you had to kid by the time you were 18? You're a brave, brave man.

ShogunX

Sorry to get off topic but...high school typically starts with freshman around age 14/15 right? So you had to kid by the time you were 18? You're a brave, brave man.

Earlier over here in the UK. Had two children by the time I was 19 and then a 7 year gap whilst I recovered from the trauma :)

My eldest Daughter loves Viva Pinata as well, although I'm not impressed with more people thumbing through my official guide.

pizzacat

Banned
Been playing gears all day and I can't shake that feeling of input lag. Also the cutscenes get funky at times with people and textures flickering

I can't wait to have all gears on my xbox one!

I feel it during the actives I'm doing it much earlier than when I did it on the 360

Lengusta

Banned
Good feeling being able to play shadow complex on the X1 and begin where i left off, cant wait for dark souls i really need to finish it.

So, I just tried my first Backwards Compatible game today (Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise). So far so good... but please tell don't tell me I have to sign in on each game I play. I use 2factor and it is really inconvenient with the 360 to go generate a new App Password, then manually type it in with the controller, especially since Smart glass wont work

Ade

So, I just tried my first Backwards Compatible game today (Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise). So far so good... but please tell don't tell me I have to sign in on each game I play. I use 2factor and it is really inconvenient with the 360 to go generate a new App Password, then manually type it in with the controller, especially since Smart glass wont work

Its a one time thing, the virtual 360 needs a clone of your profile on your x1

MilkyJoe

In case not seen

Someone grabbed this at the end of the gamescom BC video

Yz7Hjd7.jpg

ta155

What I wouldn't give for backwards compatibility on PS4.... the Xbox One seems like one hell of a console right now, really feels like MS are getting back to what made the 360 so fantastic from 2005-2010 before it went all Mattrick.

During Microsoft's Gamescom media briefing, the corporation revealed a list of publishers that have already pledged support for backwards compatibility. This is a crucial issue, because for Xbox 360 games to work on Xbox One, publishers will need to give Microsoft approval to emulate each individual title.

However, there were some notable absentees from Microsoft's list, including Call of Duty Modern Warfare publisher Activision, Metal Gear Solid owners Konami, and Grand Theft Auto 5 publisher Take-Two.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpot at Gamescom, Spencer was asked if he anticipates support from the noticeably absent publishers.

"We're having great conversations with all the publishers about backward compatibility," he replied.

"It's really been a good time for something like backwards compatibility to come around, because so many of the publishers have built more service-based games where they're able to find a business opportunity in the longevity of games."

According to Spencer, backwards compatibility offers publishers an ideal way to maintain or reinvigorate interest in their properties.

"[Longevity] can be through paid DLC or smaller transactions in some cases on PC and tablet. But engagement in franchises has become a critical measure for any publisher. So when you think about it, there's this opportunity to take franchise and get people re-engaged in it.

"One of the things that's really exciting for me, and we announced this with Gears of War, Just Cause, and Rainbow Six, is that when franchises are releasing an Xbox One version, [publishers] have an opportunity to give them the Xbox 360 version at the same time."

He continued: "I'll be honest, I didn't really have that in mind when we started thinking about backwards compatibility, but the studios have got the games, they realise they're not really selling them anymore, and can use them to introduce people who maybe didn't play the earlier entries in the franchises while growing engagement in the property itself. That's very valuable for a publisher."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-microsoft-in-posit/1100-6429470/

I hope they work something out

I still have the mass effect disc in my drive but gears of war booted up, I don't remember having a digital code for it, guess I did.

Shadow Complex has weird frame rate drops. Stays at 30 fps when there is a ton of action but in an ugly room where its nothing but a dude walking in, there were drops.

I highly doubt it.

Otherwise they would have done a PC version by now. The best we can hope for is it being BC.

I wouldn't be shocked is thats what they're planning: a remaster for current gen and finally the PC release everyone has been looking for.

There's no way they're not seeing the stupid numbers GTAV just did on current gen and PC and not considering a remaster.

MrMephistoX

I feel like an old man saying this but the Rare games last gen were really before their time. I enjoyed them but wasn't exactly at the kid having stage then and neither was the 360 audience. Now that I have a daughter I'm really excited to have her try them out.

Neff

What I wouldn't give for backwards compatibility on PS4.... the Xbox One seems like one hell of a console right now, really feels like MS are getting back to what made the 360 so fantastic from 2005-2010 before it went all Mattrick.

It is an amazing gesture on MS' part. I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong choice in buying the bulk of multiplats on PS3 instead of 360 last gen, since my PS3 collection outnumbers my 360 collection by 6-1.

Unfortunately I don't think Sony could offer local PS3 BC even if they wanted to due to the technical hurdles of CELL.

Justinh

So many duplicates hahah

I see Rayman Legends, and wonder if it's really gonna get with it since there's already an Xbox One port.
Wasn't SSX a Games with Gold game? They did say that all Games with Gold games would work

I think they specifically said all future Games with Gold games would work. So I think it's still up in the air.

Personally, I'd rather have a remaster of SSX: Tricky...

only sega game i see is sonic adventure 2

sega please
Geez, I think it would be silly if they didn't give permission for all the arcade games at least to be able to move forward.
Well, I guess I just think it would be nice if more people could take advantage of Guardian Heroes for five dollars on the xbox marketplace.

Chris1

I see Rayman Legends, and wonder if it's really gonna get with it since there's already an Xbox One port.
There seems to be far more games that have been remastered (Gears, Halo, Castle crashers, Rayman, Metro) that seem to be getting BC enabled. I'm glad they are doing it but still surprised, games that have been remastered were the ones I thought for sure wouldn't get enabled.
Is there anyway we can play on the DLC maps for Gears 1? Cant figure out a way to get them downloaded

DLC doesn't work yet

So when do we think we'll get more new games? there being only Gears and Shadow complex enabled a few days ago is a bit of a let down, was hoping they would slowly add games up until launch to make 100~ games but doesn't seem like that's what they will be doing.

Justinh

There seems to be far more games that have been remastered (Gears, Halo, Castle crashers, Rayman, Metro) that seem to be getting BC enabled. I'm glad they are doing it but still surprised, games that have been remastered were the ones I thought for sure wouldn't get enabled.

I guess you're right about that. Like when Phil Spencer has said in an interview that making Halo Reach BackCompat doesn't prevent them from remastering in for Master Chief Collection.
Castle Crashers, though, I thought wouldn't be BCompat because it was getting remastered. Maybe I missed something...

Chris1

I guess you're right about that. Like when Phil Spencer has said in an interview that making Halo Reach BackCompat doesn't prevent them from remastering in for Master Chief Collection.
Castle Crashers, though, I thought wouldn't be BCompat because it was getting remastered. Maybe I missed something...

I guess it's not confirmed yet but EvB posted pics of it on the store and it has its own BC cover art (with xbox 360 going down the side), so there's a good chance it will be.

So .... can anyone make a list of all the games from the youtube screenshot ?

just a page back..

Yz7Hjd7.jpg

Assassins Creed Revelations
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare 2
Risen
A Kingdom for Kefflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Risen 2
Tom Clancy ENDWAR
Battleblock Theater
Bioshock
Borderlands
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Civilization Revolution
Dead Space
Disney Universe
Dynasty Warriors 8
Bioshock Infinite
Fallout 3
Forza 3
Trials HD
Gears of War
Halo 3: ODST
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Guess)
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Kameo: Elements of Power
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Assassins Creed
Mass Effect
Forza 4
Clash of Heroes HD
Sacred 2
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Rayman Origins
Pac-Man CEDX
Forza Horizon
Halo Anniversary
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rayman Legends
Sacred 3
Shadow Complex
Shoot Many Robots
Sonic Adventure 2
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Super Meat Boy
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare
Toy Story 3
???
???

not a complete list

Brakara

If a remaster can't stand alongside the original game it was never worth remastering in the first place.

Pez

If they can create a 360 shell on the Xbox One,shouldn't we be able to play the OG Xbox games that were BC on 360?

Alx

If they can create a 360 shell on the Xbox One,shouldn't we be able to play the OG Xbox games that were BC on 360?

I suppose it could be technically possible... but I think the fact that all 360 games can behave like digital games helps a lot, when dealing with the game authorizations and execution. They would have to recreate a digital marketplace for OG Xbox games to get the same results, and it's probably not worth the effort.
(but then I thought developing 360 BC for Xbox One wasn't worth the effort either, so what would I know ? :p)

Top Bottom