• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

mike4001_

Phil Spencer did say that Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were important games to get running to him, and that they're trying to figure out how to do multidisc games. I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

I don´t think Multidisc is such a huge problem.

They just haven´t implemented it when they launched BC.

The (really) hard part was getting the emultion to run.

To figure out how they bundle 2 game discs in one and only show one game tile should be pretty standard stuff.

well activision not showing up as a BC partner with MS kinda implies it's not happening anytime soon

I mean, they have cast their lot with Sony for the next couple of years so I can't see it happening. The ability to play old CoD games on X1 when the PS4 architecture won't allow it wouldn't really be something that Sony would want. X1 would become the exclusive current-gen console where you could play CoD4, MW2, CoDBLOPS, et al.

Syriel

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Then I suppose you aren't playing any PS4 or XBO games. Both current gen systems require ALL games to be installed to the hard drive to play. Disc or digital, it's all the same.

I'd like to know that too, I guess they could always have multi disc games digital only if they couldn't find a way to do it. This would suck but at least its better than not having it.

Multi-disc games as digital isn't a big hurdle for most. It depends on the title and can usually be done with minimal work.

would be amazing if they added original Xbox enulation.

Not without charging. Why do you think it officially required a paid HD on the 360? License fee for every system.

Has anyone tried to use system link with an Xbox One and 360? Was thinking about trying it with PDZ, but I don't want to bother putting it together if it doesn't work.

Haven't tried it, but technically it should work.

Even though Outrun is delisted from purchasing, you can re-download it as much as you like. So if Microsoft were just letting you redownload the existing .iso on your Xbox, just like a second 360, then we'd be all good to redownload it.

But since Microsoft has to actually repackage the .iso along with the Xbox One emulation profile info, is it a "new" version of the game? Or can they make those modifications and allow existing owners to re-download the game on their Xbox One?

I'm no lawyer and I can't begin to guess Sega and Ferrari's legal position on this. They wouldn't be selling anything, so maybe it's okay?

It could be considered an additional copy.

Ugh, just yesterday I was thinking of Crimson Skies after playing Grabbed By the Ghoulies on Rare Replay and thinking to myself it would be awesome if MS brought all their first party games on the original XBox like Rally Sport to XB1 in the same fashion.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a full port. The copy in Rare Replay is a native Xbox One title.

Synth

It could be considered an additional copy.

Logically it should be considered an additional copy.. because it really is. You can download an play the games across two Xbox One devices, without them impacting your ability to still download and play them on an Xbox 360 device. You're being granted additional licenses that you didn't previously own.

If they can create a 360 shell on the Xbox One,shouldn't we be able to play the OG Xbox games that were BC on 360?

It should be possible, but the main issue for OG Xbox is the nvidia royalties... IIRC from the 360 era, they had to pay nvidia for each 360 sold with a HDD. Not sure they would like to pay again for each xbone who can potentially emulate the OG Xbox.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why? This isn't true backward compatibility; the game isn't being read from the disc. And you don't actually own a digital license, so you can't provide any verification of ownership other than the disc. Aside from having to store the data locally (which is necessary for this 360 compatibility scheme to even function), there are no additional restriction placed on users who own retail copies. You pop in the disc, and you can play the game. How can this possibly be considered unreasonable?

Bizzquik

well activision not showing up as a BC partner with MS kinda implies it's not happening anytime soon

I think it's all jumping to conclusions at this point since BC won't be officially available till November.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Activision's deepening relationship with Sony. They're in bed together with Destiny advertising & timed exclusives, Call of Duty advertising and timed exclusives, etc.

Either that, or Activision is concerned that making CoD backward-compatible could cannibalize future CoD sales.
Why is EA the most hated game company again...?

I'm about 3/4 through gears of war and I have to say while the game has issues with a few loading pauses here and there and sometimes some funky effects going on the game runs well and a lot better then mass effect, the slowdown in some areas isn't half as bad compared.

Sometimes however these weird stutters can drop your input, I can press the dpad to change gun but nothing will happen and I have to press it again.

Chitown B

Chitown B

I don´t think Multidisc is such a huge problem.

They just haven´t implemented it when they launched BC.

The (really) hard part was getting the emultion to run.

To figure out how they bundle 2 game discs in one and only show one game tile should be pretty standard stuff.

I don't think any multi-disc are digital. And if you're basing it on disc check, that only applies for the X1 side - I don't think the system checks the disc within the emulator. So technically you could just have one of the discs and play the whole thing (since they have to be digital download versions)

Chris1

I don't think any multi-disc are digital. And if you're basing it on disc check, that only applies for the X1 side - I don't think the system checks the disc within the emulator. So technically you could just have one of the discs and play the whole thing (since they have to be digital download versions)

LA noire is digital and that has 3 discs

To all of you who don't like the forced vsync on BC games: Please complain about this on the beta forum on Xbox.com.

Games like Nuts and Bolts, Mass Effect and Perfect Dark Zero run terrible compared to their 360 versions because of this.

Bsigg12

Which is wild because the digital version is only a 6.67gb download

To all of you who don't like the forced vsync on BC games: Please complain about this on the beta forum on Xbox.com.

Games like Nuts and Bolts, Mass Effect and Perfect Dark Zero run terrible compared to their 360 versions because of this.

Someone should start a thing on xbox.uservoice.com and link to it here so we can upvote it.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
I mean, they have cast their lot with Sony for the next couple of years so I can't see it happening. The ability to play old CoD games on X1 when the PS4 architecture won't allow it wouldn't really be something that Sony would want. X1 would become the exclusive current-gen console where you could play CoD4, MW2, CoDBLOPS, et al.

You seriously think Sony has any say over what Activision does with their games??
Activision would not want BC because it would possibly eat into their profits for future COD games. They want people upgrading not playing older and more beloved versions.

Later multi-disc games on Xbox 360 had special digital-specific builds made by the developers themselves. Early multi-disc games, which released before Games on Demand launched, never had such versions made, so for them to be supported here Microsoft has to figure out a way to rig it all up without touching the actual game code.

Edit: Shit, meant to edit this into my last post. Oops. >.<

You seriously think Sony has any say over what Activision does with their games??
Activision would not want BC because it would possibly eat into their profits for future COD games. They want people upgrading not playing older and more beloved versions.

But I mean, people can already continue playing those older versions if they really want to, and making it hard to play older games isn't going to make them more likely to buy newer ones. They're just making things more inconvenient for their own fans. Plus, making them available on Xbox One means they can continue promote those old games on a new marketplace and get more sales out of them.

I'm not going to pretend like I know what's going on with Activision, but they can be really weird about stuff sometimes, and often they just don't seem to care. Remember how long it took them to support the Wii U eShop? It was like, years, with no real reason what-so-ever for holding out. I don't think they're genuinely that worried about old games cannibalizing the sales of new ones. They're just backwards about some stuff like this, and it doesn't really matter to them since they'll make a fortune on the next Destiny, CoD, and Skylanders releases anyway.

I'm really hoping they do shadowrun BC and also make it an xbox gold game of the month. that could revitalize the community for a time. game deserves a victory tour

I can't believe another FPS hasn't tried to incorporate Teleport like SR did. completely changed the dynamics of engagement.

Later multi-disc games on Xbox 360 had special digital-specific builds made by the developers themselves. Early multi-disc games, which released before Games on Demand launched, never had such versions made, so for them to be supported here Microsoft has to figure out a way to rig it all up without touching the actual game code.

Probably have to download each disc seperately, and switch discs when the game asks us to.

FyreWulff

The "cleanest" solution would be to just make 3 separate virtual 360s that you have to select when you get to another disc.

Unless the game asks you to hot swap the discs while the 360 is on to save the flag that you should start using the next disc :V In which case they'd have to implement virtual disc mounting-swap while the 360 emu is running.

And finally the nuclear solution would be to actually just patch those games to be "Xbox One aware". It's not impossible.. but the most involved one, which would require re-certing the entire game.

FyreWulff

I don't have the achievement yet, but don't even need to do that with Wars. Just remember two things:

- Maximize your economy

- Resign by self destructing your bases instead of leaving games. You'll keep the points for the match that way.

So basically play matches, and if it doesn't work out, resign and don't drag the game out, you'll have General eventually.

This statement is always false. MW 1-3 being available wouldn't stop people from buying the latest COD. They are already available and yet AW was still the biggest seller last year

Brakara

Yeah, the notion that people would stop buying new CoD games if the old ones were available through BC is beyond stupid.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't have the achievement yet, but don't even need to do that with Wars. Just remember two things:

- Maximize your economy

- Resign by self destructing your bases instead of leaving games. You'll keep the points for the match that way.

So basically play matches, and if it doesn't work out, resign and don't drag the game out, you'll have General eventually.

D:

I envy the people who were dedicated enough to keep going for it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys I have a question:
My understanding is that Gears of War 3 and Judgement are both playable on Xbox One now and that any games purchased digitally ar automatically added to your Xbox One. Well I "purchased" Gears of War 3 and Judgement using Games with Gold. Yet they are nowhere to be found on my Xbox One.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

My understanding is that Gears of War 3 and Judgement are both playable on Xbox One now and that any games purchased digitally ar automatically added to your Xbox One. Well I "purchased" Gears of War 3 and Judgement using Games with Gold. Yet they are nowhere to be found on my Xbox One.

Thanks.
Only gears 1 has actual BC now. The rest of the series was announced for BC but no date has been given.

What MS said was that all future 360 GwG titles will be BC. But again, they haven't given an exact timetable for when that will happen. Just that the official rollout for BC is November.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The better explanation is that Activision would like to be able to sell you those games again and thus BC isn't something that interests them.
Yes, Call of Duty is obviously Activisions cash lifeline and they aren't going to give away the original games when they know they could make some pretty good money repackaging some of the older games as remasters.

I'd happily pay for a remaster of Modern Warfare, Black Ops 1 and 2.

sonto340

Thanks.
Only Gears 1 is available right now.
The other 3 will be added later this year.

gossi

Thanks.

Only Gears 1 is on backwards compatibility. 2, 3 and Judgement are being added after Gears of War Ultimate is released.

People do realize they will do this slowly on purpose right. Each game on BC will be available for purchase, so having games up for purchase first will get companies money before they make it BC for free.

mike4001_

Yeah, the notion that people would stop buying new CoD games if the old ones were available through BC is beyond stupid.

I wouldn't call it stupid but I think they will not loose much money because of people not buying the new game when they can get the old one really cheap.

The benefit of aditionally selling those old games again digitally much be far greater.

But who knows who these corporate suits see things ;-)

Top Bottom