• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Kill3r7

Gears of War Judgement plays really well after the update. Just beat it, and it seems to stay locked at it's FPS. Not mention the game is still a decent looking game. Holds up well.

As for Dark Souls. I tried to play that recently on a friends Xbox through BC. The performance was so shit I gave up. That one definitely needs an update. It runs worse than it did on 360.

I've played through Dark Souls on 360 and XB1 and found that it ran better on XB1.

Same here. I played through the entire game in the spring prior to playing DS3 and thought it performed about the same as it did on the 360.

mike4001_

Seems like the current emulator version gets rid of the input lag many games were having.

Great to hear !

Hopefully this is a thing of the past now.

Jawmuncher

It actually runs better on X1 for me. The initial release had some frame pacing issues and frame dips, but it has been updated since then. Blighttown is still a mess, but that was not BC's fault. That's poor programming from From Software. Blighttown does see a minimal, and I do mean minimal, boost to frame rate through BC. I actually ended up beating the game on X1.

Same here. I played through the entire game in the spring prior to playing DS3 and thought it performed about the same as it did on the 360.

Then I didn't play it as recently as I thought. Since the stuff you mentioned is why I didn't bother (frame pacing/frame drops)

Dunkley

Honestly that's how I felt like it was too when I played it on a friend's Xbox One just around the time it was enabled for BC. I'm sure one version might have framerate advantages in some areas over the other because of the pros and cons of the emulation but for me it more or less felt like it ran like ass in the areas it ran like ass on the 360 and runs good in the areas the 360 ran good too.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but are any two-disc games available yet?

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was a 2 disc game, wasn't it? I bought it digital on my 360 and I've got it downloaded ready to play on my One.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was a 2 disc game, wasn't it? I bought it digital on my 360 and I've got it downloaded ready to play on my One.

It is but there was a digital version (like L.A Noire) that the XB1 file could be based on unlike the majority of multidisc games. There was also a re-release of the Witcher 2 that had everything on one disc (silver box edition).

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It is but there was a digital version (like L.A Noire) that the XB1 file could be based on unlike the majority of multidisc games...

Ah, there you go. So multidisc games didn't usually get digital versions on the 360? Never knew that. Learn something new everyday.

Did Mass Effect 2 and 3 get digital versions, just out of curiosity?

Scrawnton

Did anyone get a chance to test CoD 3 yet? Didn't digital foundry say CoD2 was running st a solid 60fos on Xbox one? Curious how CoD 3 is improved. My copy arrives tomorrow.

Novocaine

Gears of War Judgement plays really well after the update. Just beat it, and it seems to stay locked at it's FPS. Not mention the game is still a decent looking game. Holds up well.

As for Dark Souls. I tried to play that recently on a friends Xbox through BC. The performance was so shit I gave up. That one definitely needs an update. It runs worse than it did on 360.

It seemed like the general consensus even at launch was that both versions underperformed in different areas but overall that the BC version played better than X360. There's a DF video about it somewhere.

amdb00mer

Did anyone get a chance to test CoD 3 yet? Didn't digital foundry say CoD2 was running st a solid 60fos on Xbox one? Curious how CoD 3 is improved. My copy arrives tomorrow.

Not yet, but I think Digital Foundry will more than likely have a video for it today.

The bumping of that Treasure thread just made me remember I want Radiant Silvergun on BC!

I always wanted a physical copy for my collection but I doubt that is gonna happen now, so come on BC release!

The bumping of that Treasure thread just made me remember I want Radiant Silvergun on BC!

I always wanted a physical copy for my collection but I doubt that is gonna happen now, so come on BC release!

Yeah RS is my number one most wanted game. It would be such a huge deal for MS to have that game BC.

muzzymate

Yes it was, but that had already released a Games on Demand version of it which muted the early two disc problem (kinda like Max Payne 3 and LA Noir)

Chitown B

Do backwards compatible games get patches?

If so, has dark souls 1 ever got one to improve frame rate for certain areas?

the frame rate is a problem with the game's original code, not how it runs on X1 (which is what could get patched). They can't alter the game's code so it's not going to run better in those areas.

EffEmmGee

the frame rate is a problem with the game's original code, not how it runs on X1 (which is what could get patched). They can't alter the game's code so it's not going to run better in those areas.

That's not strictly true, if it was, then we wouldn't see the performance boost that we do in Red Dead Redemption for example.

It all comes down to what causes the framerate issues in the first place, be that CPU or GPU based, hence RDR now runs better on Xbox One during game play, and at a locked 30 FPS during cutscenes.

chekhonte

Be honest with me. Is there any chance at all for Nier making to the BC list?

I thought there might be a chance since Automata was announced but I'm kind of starting to doubt it.

Justinh

I'd love this one to go BC, but with TJ&E's original creator now holding the rights, my guess is that SEGA would have to come to sort of an agreement with him first.

Interesting. I was actually wondering about this game not too long ago why it wasn't BC when a lot of the other Sega games were.

ganaconda

Been playing Gears of War 3 today. Can confirm that the input lag is pretty much gone if not completely gone and the framerates are pretty solid. The game did crash on me once though. I was playing the RAAM's Shadow Campaign DLC.

CRZYSPZ

I'm still not convinced EA isn't doing a mass effect remaster. 2 and 3 not being BC just helps support that.

I'm thinking they'll be BC, but if I recall correctly one of the ME games have issues regarding cloud saves, which would be a mess with the BC program. That might be a cause of delay, plus the fact those are large games that would take time to work out for the emulator, especially since they're multi-disc.

Been playing Gears of War 3 today. Can confirm that the input lag is pretty much gone if not completely gone and the framerates are pretty solid. The game did crash on me once though. I was playing the RAAM's Shadow Campaign DLC.
I've been trying to play gears 3 tonight and have had two hard crashes in the opening chapter. One before I got to combat and one just as the combat began. Real frustrating.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
What are the must buys released so far?

So far I've bought - Dark Souls 1, Doom 1.

I'm looking at Castlevania sotn and Doom 2.

Justinh

I've been trying to play gears 3 tonight and have had two hard crashes in the opening chapter. One before I got to combat and one just as the combat began. Real frustrating.

Man, twice? That sucks.

I tried playing the beginning of Gears 3 the last couple days too, and I think it feels better but not as good as Judgment plays now. I had it crash on me, too.

Well, it didn't crash to the dashboard, it froze and locked up. I tried jamming on the guide button but it wouldn't do anything and by the time my frustrated ass got up and started walking towards the console to reboot it, it had already shut off by itself.

SotN and Doom 2, I think, are great choices. I would also say Red Dead, but wait for a sale. That seems to go on sale every now and then for like, 7.50. That and the Streets of Rage collection.

Man, twice? That sucks.

I tried playing the beginning of Gears 3 the last couple days too, and I think it feels better but not as good as Judgment plays now. I had it crash on me, too.

Well, it didn't crash to the dashboard, it froze and locked up. I tried jamming on the guide button but it wouldn't do anything and by the time my frustrated ass got up and started walking towards the console to reboot it, it had already shut off by itself.
Yeah, it locked the entire console up twice to the point that it had to completely reset. I tried deleting the file and am redownloading it on the off chance that maybe something went wrong, but if it locks up again I'll probably just hook my 360 up

It's a bummer because i was looking forward to playing it through BC as it's the only gears game I haven't played and I wanted to catch up before 4

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

jshxQjWh.jpg

tumblr_n5zhpshBJF1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

ganaconda

Yeah, it locked the entire console up twice to the point that it had to completely reset. I tried deleting the file and am redownloading it on the off chance that maybe something went wrong, but if it locks up again I'll probably just hook my 360 up

It's a bummer because i was looking forward to playing it through BC as it's the only gears game I haven't played and I wanted to catch up before 4

This is the same thing that happened to me when it crashed, which is the first time I've ever seen a crash completely lock up the system. Hopefully they can fix the crashing issues because in my opinion, while not perfect by any means, the game plays pretty well now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Pretty crazy they went through the effort of getting it up and running BC for the sole purpose of making it GWG then.
They probably did it on purpose, to give it away to as many people as possible before it was delisted.

Chris1

They probably did it on purpose, to give it away to as many people as possible before it was delisted.

Still a lot of effort for virtually no return though. I guess they save a couple of mill not paying a third party to put their game on the service but still.

Though I'm not complaining, definitely glad they gave it away.

Justinh

I think that makes sense. Since they wouldn't be able to sell it anymore, it'd probably be smart to get people to at least try it and hopefully get them wanting to buy some of that DLC.

I can't play more than five minutes of Gears three without it hard locking and resetting the console. I'm just going to have to download it on 360 because I don't know what else to do to fix it. It's a real bummer tbh

e: hoping judgement works out a lot better

Top Bottom