• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One basic 1TB.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Both ps4/xb1 should have had 1tb from the start. 500gb is what the ps3 and 360 came with.

The PS3 launched with two SKU's, a 20GB model and 60GB model, the Xbox 360 launched with a 20GB model.

The PS3 currently ships with a 500GB Hard drive disk and the Xbox 360 ships with a 250GB Hard drive disk.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One ship with a 500GB hard drive disk.

Have you not seen how ridiculously cheap the console is in the UK at the moment?

Hasn't been nearly cheap enough to tempt me.

To be honest, Kinect was the only real selling point of that console for me, and they've all but killed it dead so I can't imagine I'll ever get one, no matter what they sell it for.

FyreWulff

i'm waiting until rb4's actual release to get a one solely because i'm betting there will be a One with a higher amount of internal storage by then

ZhugeEX

Banned

To be honest, Kinect was the only real selling point of that console for me, and they've all but killed it dead so I can't imagine I'll ever get one, no matter what they sell it for.

PS4 is cheap as well now.

I've seen them sub £250 some places.

Chris1

Well, I doubt they will do $449, presumably it will replace the $349 sku, although perhaps $400 with Halo and maybe something else would be ok
Was just going by the usual $=€ conversions but I saw on reddit that the CoD AW bundle was priced high as a placeholder aswell at first, maybe the same here.

If it is just a placeholder price then they probably are going to phase out 500gb sku's completely and replace it with a 1tb. They should have launched with a 1tb console anyways, 500gb is too small.

aaronwt

1TB is too small. I've already exceeded 1TB on both my XBOnes. I just replaced my 1TB of SSD storage attached to each XBOX One, With a couple of Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 powered Backup Plus Fast Portable Drives( which uses two 2.5", 2TB drives in a RAID 0 config). While it won't be as fast as my SSDs were, they do get over 220MB/s (1760Mb/s) transfer rates. And the 4TB of storage should last me at least a couple more years. For only $200 on sale for each 4TB drive is was only half the cost of the $400 I spent last Summer for each Xbox One to have 1TB of SSD external storage. Those SSDs will just be repurposed for use in a couple of new PCs I'll set up soon.

Madness

MS is so frustrating as a console maker. I mean they purposely didn't allow upgradeable internal drives so they could do this as well. 500gb was too little in 2013, let alone still having that size well into 2015. Everything has to be their proprietary and branded junk. Whether it was their specific weird hard drive and holder on the launch 360, and then the slim, which they still tried to make sure you used theirs because of the plastic casing required.

I bet every single Xbox One owner is at or near the limit for their hard drives already. It wouldn't matter so much, but I can't even run a game off of disc alone. Has to be installed everytime before you play. So if I delete something and then have urge to replay it a month later, I need to free up space and install again. And no, I don't want to get an external drive and keep it attached my console all the time. That's a band-aid solution to the problem.

I'm glad Sony is doing an absolute number to Microsoft sales wise. Maybe they'll learn for next console or even the latter half of this gen.

Krakn3Dfx

MS is so frustrating as a console maker. I mean they purposely didn't allow upgradeable internal drives so they could do this as well. 500gb was too little in 2013, let alone still having that size well into 2015. Everything has to be their proprietary and branded junk. Whether it was their specific weird hard drive and holder on the launch 360, and then the slim, which they still tried to make sure you used theirs because of the plastic casing required.

I bet every single Xbox One owner is at or near the limit for their hard drives already. It wouldn't matter so much, but I can't even run a game off of disc alone. Has to be installed everytime before you play. So if I delete something and then have urge to replay it a month later, I need to free up space and install again. And no, I don't want to get an external drive and keep it attached my console all the time. That's a band-aid solution to the problem.

I'm glad Sony is doing an absolute number to Microsoft sales wise. Maybe they'll learn for next console or even the latter half of this gen.

I agree with a lot of this, one of MS' most egregious decisions this time around was to bury the HD in the console again, not allowing a user upgrade path, even if it was relegated to their proprietary encased options. Instead, if you don't want to deal with an external drive, you're basically stuck buying a new console when you need/want more space. It only makes sense to give people the option to upgrade their hard drive if you're forcing every game to be fully installed to the HD IMO, and the external drive option is definitely just a band-aid.

There are many benefits to MS' external drive support over Sony's internal.
MS, and Nintendo are leading the pack on this feature.

mike4001_

You can still buy it with Kinect....

All Kinect functions are still present and work.

Pandy

There are many benefits to MS' external drive support over Sony's internal.
MS, and Nintendo are leading the pack on this feature.
So, Nintendo, then. Given they had the feature long before MS did.

Did Sony actually do this first with the PS3?

ZhugeEX

Banned
You can still buy it with Kinect....

All Kinect functions are still present and work.

I'm assuming he wants game software that supports Kinect functionality though.

At the moment there are like 5 games or something that actually use Kinect exclusively.

Well this speaks for the technical inadequacy of both consoles.

Its like they want you to treat these things ad secondary solutions; after all, 500gb are more than enough of you just play the two/three worthy exclusive they release every other year. xD

This post seems...odd. It makes out external drives to be this massive inconvenience (I have a strong feeling that most consumers would consider an external drive way more convenient than replacing an internal one, running some "software migration" program, and having some spare useless drive that they have to sell on ebay or something), pretends as if Microsoft started the trend of "proprietary and branded junk" (as opposed to the standard MO for every console maker for the majority of console gaming history), and then a complaint about not being able to run games off discs, even though that would be way worse performance and drastically more wear and tear on the disc drive. And then somehow implies that fully installing games is somehow a MS-led decision, when that was more likely an "every single developer in the industry prefers this instead of running games off a slow disc" decision

And then somehow ties this in to a reason why they're being outsold, lol. Nothing wrong with preferring an internal drive, but this seemed a bit over the top since some of your complaints apply to both systems, and there are obvious pros/cons to both approaches on the hard drive issue.

Krakn3Dfx said:
Many benefits? Examples of these many benefits?

The rather obvious benefit (where everything kind of flows from) is that it makes everything plug and play. I don't have to lose out on the games I already have installed, I don't have to worry about running some "system migration" app or whatever to get the console up and running again, I can easily take a large collection of games from system to system without reinstalling, I can plug in multiple drives to get even more space (is there a single 16GB internal drive that exists?), and though probably minor, less heat in the console.

The one drawback is...it doesn't look as good. *shrug*. The benefits are worth the drawback in my opinion. Obviously others are more than welcome to have different preferences, but the idea that it's so shocking someone could prefer an external solution seems weird. External hard drives got popular on PCs for a reason.

drotahorror

The PS3 launched with two SKU's, a 20GB model and 60GB model, the Xbox 360 launched with a 20GB model.

The PS3 currently ships with a 500GB Hard drive disk and the Xbox 360 ships with a 250GB Hard drive disk.

Yeah I couldn't remember what 360 ships with now. I wasn't comparing the new consoles to old console launches. Was comparing them to what you can get now.

KingJ2002

necessary... people will blow through their 500GB hard drives by end of the year... Sony should follow suit as well and release a 1TB version.

Also... they should upgrade their online storage space for game saves.

Bessy67

Can you really not think of any? Adding storage rather than replacing it and being able to take the external drive with installed games to a friend's house are pretty nice benefits IMO. I'm very happy MS went with the external solution rather than replaceable internal drives. Of course whynotboth.gif, but if I'm only getting one I much prefer external.

Piggus

Both ps4/xb1 should have had 1tb from the start. 500gb is what the ps3 and 360 came with.

My PS4 has a 2 TB drive that I paid around $75 for. I agree with you, but at least I didn't have to buy an entirely new console. Why MS doesn't let people swap drives is just baffling.

Can you really not think of any? Adding storage rather than replacing it and being able to take the external drive with installed games to a friend's house are pretty nice benefits IMO. I'm very happy MS went with the external solution rather than replaceable internal drives. Of course whynotboth.gif, but if I'm only getting one I much prefer external.

It's a nice feature, but it doesn't take away from the fact that removing the ability to buy a bigger drive when games are 40+ gbs was incredibly stupid.

Running games from an external drive is also something Sony could match with a firmware update if they really wanted to.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't know why they don't just sell it at $399

Hold on, I got to look to see if it comes with kinnect real quick

*looks*

Yeah it doesn't....yeah they can't be going above $400 again.

Matter of fact, this should have came out last christmas, instead of all those crazy deals. I would have jumped at that, now I'm stuck on the external storage system.

Ive got an 1,75TB internal HDD for my Xbone for 70€... not sure whats so expensive for Microsoft with only an 1tb HDD.

And 450€... lol try again.

magnumpy

$450 is a rip off. I thought XB1 was $350, and PS4 was $400. I thought the price would come down as we go into the future, but it appears it's going up instead.

SZips

1TB was inevitable. I figured they'd make this announcement hand-in-hand with that rumored DVR announcement I saw mentioned this past week or two.

500GB barely cuts it now (speaking just as a PS4 owner), so I couldn't imagine what it would be like to tack on the DVR functionality as well and not have a larger HDD offering to go with it.

kaiyo

Xbox 360 Core launched with no hdd along with the 20GB Xbox 360

DieH@rd

Banned

Xbox 360 launched with Arcade version [zero storage] and 20GB mode. And they asked for many $$$ so that Arcade users can upgrade to HDD [which was in proprietary, same as WiFi module].

edit -beaten

Emedan

I don't know how MS expects to sell some units in Europe with this price.

I don't ever see the XBO taking off in Europe, no matter the price, maybe if they started paying the customers for taking them but honestly not even then - it's dead.

DrkSage

That price!
the-price-is-too-damn-high.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
Xbox 360 Core launched with no hdd along with the 20GB Xbox 360

I know.

But read my post again, I mentioned two PS3 SKU's but omitted that fact for the 360 and just said the 360 "launched with a 20GB HDD".

Technically correct. The best kind of correct :p

I couldn't be bothered to talk about Core/Arcade.

Just like how I don't mention the 4GB, 320GB or 500GB Xbox 360 models in the second line.

I disagree. Sony's implementation is better.

Also, Why not both?

I agree with why not both.

Swapping out drives on the PS4 can be a chore and the recently added copy tool is slow compared to the MS solution.

When I upgraded my Launch PS4 I had to re download everything.
This took a couple hours to complete.

When I bought my second PS4 and upgraded the drive I had to do the same.
Took even longer because I had more games.

If I buy a game digitally, I have to download it once for each system.
I don't have a data cap but 30 gigs on Sony's server is ...well you know already

I cannot take my hard drive to a friends house and access the games on it. I can't even swap them between systems with out a "reformat"

I have NONE of these issues with my two Xbox one systems.

Adding a new drive takes less than 1 minute.
I can copy games for one drive to the next and one system to the next.

Not to mention that you can expand your HD space out to multiple drives, chose what goes where, i.e. apps on the system drive and games on your external(s) and the Xbox One just sees 1 memory pool.

See above.

So, Nintendo, then. Given they had the feature long before MS did.

Did Sony actually do this first with the PS3?

I have not been able to plug in a usb drive to my PS3 so no.

Valnen

A TB still isnt enough for this gen tbh.... you would still need to upgrade or by an external drive.

2TB probably won't even be enough. The consoles should have been bigger to allow native support for 3.5" drives. Either that, or the PS4 should allow both internal upgrades and external storage.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not surprised.

The price of it should be the current price of the 500 GB model; Then make the 500 GB model $100 cheaper. That would be nice.

Top Bottom