• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One basic 1TB.

statham

I agree with why not both.

Swapping out drives on the PS4 can be a chore and the recently added copy tool is slow compared to the MS solution.

When I upgraded my Launch PS4 I had to re download everything.
This took a couple hours to complete.

When I bought my second PS4 and upgraded the drive I had to do the same.
Took even longer because I had more games.

If I buy a game digitally, I have to download it once for each system.
I don't have a data cap but 30 gigs on Sony's server is ...well you know already

I cannot take my hard drive to a friends house and access the games on it. I can't even swap them between systems with out a "reformat"

I have NONE of these issues with my two Xbox one systems.

Adding a new drive takes less than 1 minute.
I can copy games for one drive to the next and one system to the next.

Not to mention that you can expand your HD space out to multiple drives, chose what goes where, i.e. apps on the system drive and games on your external(s) and the Xbox One just sees 1 memory pool.

See above.

I have not been able to plug in a usb drive to my PS3 so no.
The speed boost was a big factor for me along with the space, I got a 7200 2tb for $78 and it makes a big difference in some games, I install all my apps and smaller games on the internal and use the external for AAA games, and being able to just take the HD over to my family house on get togethers is big for me also.

The speed boost was a big factor for me along with the space, I got a 7200 2tb for $78 and it makes a big difference in some games, I install all my apps and smaller games on the internal and use the external for AAA games, and being able to just take the HD over to my family house on get togethers is big for me.

Yup the portability alone is huge!

drotahorror

My PS4 has a 2 TB drive that I paid around $75 for. I agree with you, but at least I didn't have to buy an entirely new console. Why MS doesn't let people swap drives is just baffling.

Yeah I have a 2tb as well. Gots to for the digital future I'm part of.

No one is gonna buy 1TB model if that is going to happen.

They will only have so much stock before they run out of 1TBs, I hope MS have a good bundle for it though, having it vanilla is a mistake, they should be using it to get more Sunset Overdrive/Forza Horizon 2 copies out there (given they have just done Halo)

Probably Joe Montana though

kaiyo

I know.

But read my post again, I mentioned two PS3 SKU's but omitted that fact for the 360 and just said the 360 "launched with a 20GB HDD".

Technically correct. The best kind of correct :p

I couldn't be bothered to talk about Core/Arcade.

Just like how I don't mention the 4GB, 320GB or 500GB Xbox 360 models in the second line.
But since he was talking about launch consoles ("from the start") there was no point of mentioning the 4GB or any of the other models that came out later. Since you omitted the 360 skus, thought you might have forgotten about the Core edition. =P

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I disagree. Sony's implementation is better.

Also, Why not both?

I agree why not both. Disagree that Sony's way is better.

Last gen, yea it was. This gen, no. I hope the PS4 eventually does external like XBO does.

I hope this means a price drop for a 500GB XBO. Sony would have no choice but to counter that. IMO. And knowing how the XBO does with externals...I would get the cheaper SKU and go external. I may actually pull the trigger on an XBO if this happens.

Chobel

I don't agree. Some will still get it just because it's more in storage size and everything is there inside the box (more convenient for some).

When I said "no one" obviously I meant negligible number of people. It's gonna sell even worse than Kinect-SKU.

kaiyo

I agree why not both. Disagree that Sony's way is better.

Last gen, yea it was. This gen, no. I hope the PS4 eventually does external like XBO does.

I hope this means a price drop for a 500GB XBO. Sony would have no choice but to counter that. IMO. And knowing how the XBO does with externals...I would get the cheaper SKU and go external. I may actually pull the trigger on an XBO if this happens.

Well, one can be updated to support it while the other needs a hardware revision and current owners would be SOL.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well, one can be updated to support it while the other needs a hardware revision and current owners would be SOL.

I see....didnt think of it that way...good point.

Also, Why not both?

I change my previous position. I agree Sony does it better...but only if Sony comes thru with external hard drive support for the PS4.

aaronwt

Also, Why not both?

Not sure how Sonys is better. With MS all I need to do is plug in a USB 3.0 drive that is 256GB or larger and I instantly have more storage. With Sony, you have to open up the unit, remove screws etc. to replace the internal drive. And then when it gets full again you need to do the same process again to upgrade the one drive. With the XBox One I can just plug in another external drive. Of course ideally both choices would be best. But with just one option the external drive solution blows away an internal only solution.

I feel like a light bulb has just gone off in my head.

This makes a lot sense if that new controller rumour is true... I mean, would MS really want to restock new console bundles with a new controller packed in with on the lower size HDD if they were intending for example to go 1TB standard for the holidays?

Makes a lot of sense when you consider that angle, and would be a little more enticing for people to get it.

Still hoping the Xbone Slim will let us replace the hard drives on our own

EDIT: whoa they are gonna redo the controller? What can they fix? The bone controller is almost perfect

Chris1

I feel like a light bulb has just gone off in my head.

This makes a lot sense if that new controller rumour is true... I mean, would MS really want to restock new console bundles with a new controller packed in with on the lower size HDD if they were intending for example to go 1TB standard for the holidays?

Makes a lot of sense when you consider that angle, and would be a little more enticing for people to get it.
On the other hand they could keep the current bone controller as standard and release the new style controller as an alternative and get another $60 out of people who don't like the bumpers/triggers instead of giving it away "free" with the console... I mean, they never gave the pop out d pad cotnroller away with 360 consoles did they despite it being much better?

I don't see how a new controller validates this rumour more.. or am I missing something?

Still hoping the Xbone Slim will let us replace the hard drives on our own

EDIT: whoa they are gonna redo the controller? What can they fix? The bone controller is almost perfect

People don't like the bumpers, there's rumours of them releasing a new controller with 360 bumpers/triggers.

On the other hand they could keep the current bone controller as standard and release the new style controller as an alternative and get another $60 out of people who don't like the bumpers/triggers instead of giving it away "free" with the console... I mean, they never gave the pop out d pad away with consoles did they?

I don't see how a new controller validates this rumour more.. or am I missing something?

Well obviously I'm speculating on possibilities... but if they're going to be making changes to something like the controller - the rumour of which sounded like a more significant change than the d-pad on 360, it could go hand in hand with a sku change like this.

Just a thought, and would make sense if they were going to do it.

Chris1

Well obviously I'm speculating on possibilities... but if they're going to be making changes to something like the controller - the rumour of which sounded like a more significant change than the d-pad on 360, it could go hand in hand with a sku change like this.

Just a thought, and would make sense if they were going to do it.

I sorta see where you are coming from and since this too should be the holiday a lot of 360 owners upgrade it might make sense to make the default controller a 360 clone to get rid of one negative thing about the console for some people that might scare them to the PS4, I mean I think it's silly to buy a console based on controller, but who knows.. MS could be playing it as safe as can be no matter how small it may seem this holiday.

I still don't think the new controller will become standard though. Idk, I feel like MS would rather release it as an alternative and get another $60 out of people than to give it away for free.

In hindsight I should have waited for this version. I rarely play my Xbox One. Could change when Tomb Raider and Crackdown come out though.

scitek

Lame...software. Ha!

I bet it will replace the 500GB sku. I mean look at that date. This is primed to be an announcement at E3. I do hope that price is way, way off though.

It says it's releasing on the 6th day of the 23rd month, so basically it's a little less than two years away at this point.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That pricing. Why.

It's available in Europe stably hovering around €330, with pricedrops to €299 on occasion.
This RRP is ridiculous.

jelly

That pricing. Why.

It's available in Europe stably hovering around €330, with pricedrops to €299 on occasion.
This RRP is ridiculous.

Die hards will buy it initially, phase out the 500GB model while reducing the 1TB slightly for the fall. Eventually price drop 1TB model to original 500GB price, omg such a bargain in the eyes of the consumer but essentially Microsoft will have put Xbox One back to it's full price for a little while instead of discounting it so much, then phase out 1TB model for Slimaggedon E3 2016.

That pricing. Why.

This RRP is ridiculous.

So they were really serious with that 449€ price.
Lol.

Do people think it's really 449 when the witcher 3 console come out recently was 399.
Plus since $=€, that means it will be 449US which same as COD 1TB console back in holiday.

And it's very likely 1TB will be new standard model to replace 500GB, since the picture doesn't come with 1tb/to.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Die hards will buy it then leaves the room for price drops in the fall and phasing out 500GB model then sell the 1TB for the same price which means they keep the price high, like what they did with 360 for so long.

With 'diehards' you mean people incapable of making the right decision between a €299-330 console and €449 for the exact same console except it has more gigabytes of space?
You could buy a 4TB external harddrive for that money if storage is your concern.

I don't see it happening unless they throw a lot more in that bundle to sweeten the deal. People are not that stupid.

statham

Isn't the 500gb $399 but with a $50 promotional cut? wonder if that same $50 cut will apply with this...

jelly

With 'diehards' you mean people incapable of making the right decision between a €299-330 console and €449 for the exact same console except it has more gigabytes of space?
You could buy a 4TB external harddrive for that money if storage is your concern.

I don't see it happening unless they throw a lot more in that bundle to sweeten the deal. People are not that stupid.

Fools and their money. I'm with you but sometimes people don't care and buy whatever they fancy, the easy route and perfectly understandable they might not want to bother with an external hard drive.

Guymelef

Do people think it's really 449 when the witcher 3 console come out recently was 399.
Plus since $=€, that means it will be 449US which same as COD 1TB console back in holiday.

And it's very likely 1TB will be new standard model to replace 500GB, since the picture doesn't come with 1tb/to.

We are talking about Europe here.
COD bundle was 499€.

I'm sure all those Europeans that had no interest in an Xbox a year ago will leap at the opportunity to buy one now that it's 100€ more expensive.

jelly

I'm sure all those Europeans that had no interest in an Xbox a year ago will leap at the opportunity to buy one now that it's 100€ more expensive.

Does seem odd but maybe this came up or 1TB is just a natural progression and MS hope to sucker a few buyers first at a high price.

Microsoft "Why haven't you bought an Xbox One?"

Consumers "Hard drive too small and not replaceable"

Head.spawn

It's 2015, I'm not paying extra for a jump from 500Mb to 1Tb.

Get an external 4-5Tb in lieu of paying that price difference (if the Amazon pricing is reflective of reality). It should be the same price, but with a bigger HDD.

It's only Amazon doing that price cut, the official price is still €399.

EUR 399,99
Prix : EUR 349,99 Livraison à EUR 0,01 sur les livres et gratuite dès EUR 25 d'achats sur tout autre article Détails
Économisez : EUR 50,00 (13%)

I can said the same with amazon US
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFXON1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
List Price: $399.99
Price: $347.00 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $52.99 (13%)

The point is unless they make 1TB model the same deal with 500GB(list 449, sell with 399, but what's the point to do this?), otherwise that means it will be 100eu/us more than 500GB model and i believe a 1TB HDD is way less than this price.
And if it's 449 then i guess people will just still go for 500GB since it's 349 in west and even come with games for that price in US.

Chobel

I can said the same with amazon US
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFXON1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
List Price: $399.99
Price: $347.00 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $52.99 (13%)

The point is unless they make 1TB model the same deal with 500GB(list 449, sell with 399, but what's the point to do this?), otherwise that means it will be 100eu/us more than 500GB model and i believe a 1TB HDD is way less than this price.

No, not the same at all. In US all retailers are doing that price cut, because that "promotional" price cut came from MS.

There is no "promotional" price cut, in Europe the official price is still €399

No, not the same at all. In US all retailers are doing that price cut, because that "promotional" price cut came from MS.

There is no "promotional" price cut, in Europe the official price is still €399

Is that matter when major store like amazon selling for €349? people will see this as €100 more expensive and ignore it.

It's 2015, I'm not paying extra for a jump from 500Mb to 1Tb.

Get an external 4-5Tb in lieu of paying that price difference (if the Amazon pricing is reflective of reality). It should be the same price, but with a bigger HDD.

Ive replaced my internal HDD. And it was 70€. 1.75TB. Enough for me.

I was going to pick up the white xbox one, but i guess now i'll wait for the new console with 1TB and the new 3.5mm controller.

Chobel

Is that matter when major store like amazon selling for €349? people will see this as €100 more expensive and ignore it.

Amazon major? LOL, not in France.
For game stuff, the major retailer is Micromania and they're selling XB1 at €379 (€20 price cut).

Top Bottom