• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one officially launches in China

rrc1594

PS4 will launch their most likely by April, MS just beat them to the punch nothing more.

He's totally serious.

The Xbox One won't sell like in Japan, it will sell far better than that but some people are expecting it to sell millions and millions. I think the PS4 will sell less though.

I know it well sell better then it will in Japan, but millions. I don't know about that

SgtCobra

Can't tell if serious?
He's totally serious.

The Xbox One won't sell like in Japan, it will sell far better than that but some people are expecting it to sell millions and millions. I think the PS4 will sell less though.

A launch like this was something I expected, people are lining up to buy the first legal Western console in years, the interesting part is to see how it fares in the next few months.

The launch of this console signifies that China has transcended its bootleg past. It's good to see them moving forward. I just hope their economy won't collapse due to this massive rapid expansion.

When I was in Beijing I saw them tear down more and more of the Hutongs. If you want to see the real old china, you better get going!

Derpcrawler

Kinect will be for China like what the Wii was for the US: a game changer.

Casuals will eat that up, while the core gamer will have no choice to pick up an XB1
since the PS4 has no release date in sight.

MS is playing Sony like a fiddle.

Man, you pouring stupid quotes, first of all "core" gamers would buy region free imported Xbox, since it's cheaper and play all games with no restrictions. Second, "core" gamers would chose PS4 over Xbox One, both imports and when it will be released.

Your post in this and other thread read like wishful thinking. And I am using Xbox One as my prime console, while having PS4, while being in Mainland China lol, I am telling you core players would buy PS4 over Xbox One, or both consoles at same time, just because of selection on PS4, and overall attachment to PSN ecosystem from PS3/Vita/PSP.

Castef

Banned
yes thats all we have and it looks like a successful launch

what are you getting at here ?

I'm saying that we have no numbers, so it may look succesful, of course, yet considering how peculiar is that territory maybe there were lots of people in line just to check the console.

SgtCobra

This is absolutely not happening.
There is no release date in sight, they aren't even sure if they will release it this year or next February, they have been pretty quiet on that subject.
The Xbox One may have a significant lead by then.

looks to be going better than japan launch, that is for sure.
That's not a very difficult thing to accomplish :p

PS4 will launch their most likely by April, MS just beat them to the punch nothing more.

I know it well sell better then it will in Japan, but millions. I don't know about that
They are aiming for this year or in February because of the Spring Festival holiday.
And no, it won't sell millions and millions but people thinking that are way too optimistic and should erase that from their chalkboards.

Ricky_R

Is that really a thing lol

afBTAMJ.gif

Hindle

Banned
I don't get the sarcasm, looking at those queues, they're just as big as the type that were seen in Europe. Add the fact there are a lot of people in China, and a growing middle class, and I see no reason why the X1 can't do very well.

Ramrock

Banned
There is no release date in sight, they aren't even sure if they will release it this year or next February, they have been pretty quiet on that subject.
The Xbox One may have a significant lead by then.
The PlayStation brand is A LOT more popular and famous than the Xbox brand in China.
Check the chinese gaming boards, the followers on twitter (just as an example).
Whatever the sales numbers are gonna be, the PS4 will easly beat them.
Doesn't matter if it has a 6 month lead, or not.

VinFTW

PS3 JP Launch:

Blast Factor
Gundam: Crossfire
Ridge Racer 7
Sega Golf Club
Resistance
Genji

There's been (far) worse.

Massive action game doe...

Why the hell do we have to ALWAYS talk about how the PS4 will beat the Xbox One in sales in every launch thread regarding the Xbox One...
Can't we just focus on the (what looks like) a solid launch for the X1 in a new territory? More gamers the better.

Still can't see how Xbone will success in China. MS will have to compete with black market and there is no way they can win. Imported Xbone is likely cheaper and has no restriction.

EGM1966

Looks like a solid start. Decent interest and coverage.

Now to see how PS4 fares and whether China follows rest of world trends or MS getting solo launch makes any kind of difference.

rrc1594

The PlayStation brand is A LOT more popular and famous than the Xbox brand in China.

Wouldn't those be core gamers, it seems MS is targeting casual families.

He's totally serious.

A launch like this was something I expected, people are lining up to buy the first legal Western console in years, the interesting part is to see how it fares in the next few months.

Why would the PS4 sell less in China? The games on PS4, at least those with a japanese artstyle are far more "suitable" for chinese than the western games.

And I already said it in the other thread. The chinese arent really hyped for the Xbone, but are considering buying a PS4.

This.
Especially if Sony would launch the PS4 for a far better price.

is it because Sony is a japanese company? Tell me how it is

I still dont really get this argument, if it is brought up.
Chinese love their japanese, korean, american, german, whatever product. There might be some nationalist, that boycott japanese products, but actually I never met them. Every young one loves their japanese clothin or make-up brands as well as entertainment brands like Sony TVs and such.

There are those who prefer the legal channels.

It is legal to buy a HK or japanese PS4 in China. There are a lot of gaming shops in the malls in bigger cities where you can get those, as well as ordering these on the internet.

Going to work soon, leaving this here since people asked for this information before:

China XB1 cannot change regions.
China XB1 can use foreign download codes, provided that the game is available on the China XBL market place.

Foreign XB1s cannot change their region to China.
"Singapore" is the only region with Simplified Chinese for foreign XB1s.
Foreign XB1s can use China XB1 download codes, provided that the game is available on XBL market place.
Foreign XB1s can log into XBL accounts registered under a China XB1.

As of the moment, there is no IP-based ban.

There are those who prefer the legal channels.

There are.
What's funny is that there are now sub-console wars (imports vs. official) within the Chinese XBOX community.

lenos16

Looks like a decent launch for MS this time. I will wait for the official figures on this one though. Can't believe that Sony hasn't announced any official launch date for the PS4 yet. With the popularity of japanese media in China I would have expected them to do this much sooner.

GavinGT

Banned
Going to work soon, leaving this here since people asked for this information before:

China XB1 cannot change regions.
China XB1 can use foreign download codes, provided that the game is available on the China XBL market place.

Foreign XB1s cannot change their region to China.
"Singapore" is the only region with Simplified Chinese for foreign XB1s.
Foreign XB1s can use China XB1 download codes, provided that the game is available on XBL market place.
Foreign XB1s can log into XBL accounts registered under a China XB1.

As of the moment, there is no IP-based ban.

What about the supposed DRM reported in this thread?:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896228

Doffen

Not sure how many are those when you talk about a country leading the world of piracy and copyright infringement.

Is it so hard to believe that a country with a population of 1b can have millions of pirates, but also millions of legal consumers?

Hindle

Banned
Is it so hard to believe that a country with a population of 1b can have millions of pirates, but also millions of legal consumers?

That's what I find really hilarious about this topic, the sheer huge generalisation that's going on. It's like there's 1bn+ people there lol.

DMiz

That picture with the guy surrounded by models is a bit funny just for how... well, seemingly out-dated that picture is.

Lightning being there, for one, just seems out of place. Having pre-time-skip Sakura from Naruto just seals the deal that they effectively Google searched for some popular manga and video game characters and told the models to come dressed as those.

Of course its not. And there are still a lot of people who buy games.

One problem though is, that the generation is used to get everything for free. Tencent and all those big companies who have some Mp3/Video-streaming service pay WB, Sony BMG etc. horrendous sums, so they can offer songs, movies and tv-shows for free.
Chinese are used to get things for free because of that.

"Why pay 50 RMB for a movie, when I can watch it on tudou?"

It will be hard to change the mentality about piracy I think.

That's what I find really hilarious about this topic, the sheer huge generalisation that's going on. It's like there's 1bn+ people there lol.

If you live there and talk to most of the people, not the enthusiasts on chinese gaming forums, you can see that piracy is something that is kinda accepted there. Even when I talk to some japanese that live in China and tell them "I bought Dead Rising 3 for Steam" they are wondering why I am buying games, when they can finally get games for free in China....

Cyriades

Government control games... After experiencing freedom of playing any game I want.. I feel bad for Chinese gamers it most be awful!

wigwag85

Banned
This is a very important market to try and capture. If the console manufacturers can't get into China and India, then the picture is looking pretty grim indeed.

Usobuko

Banned
If you want some anecdotal evidence whether the chinese dislike Japanese cultural products, just look at the cosplay shown in this thread.

I think Microsoft should try to get some of the Jump licensed games on their platforms, especially One Piece.

Top Bottom