• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one officially launches in China

doraemoe

All these games/region lock/goverment cencership are not appealing to traditional chinese console gamers, however, after all these years at least our chinese players can play games under sunlight. It's a small step, hope it will become better.

Cyriades

All these games/region lock/goverment cencership are not appealing to traditional chinese console gamers, however, after all these years at least our chinese players can play games under sunlight. It's a small step, hope it will become better.

Anything better than nothing.. you say?

What is the deal with violent games in China? Haven't read about that before

They have a lot of strict rules on what can and can't be shown. I remember reading a story years ago about how their version of WoW doesn't leave the bones of your character's body when you die because they weren't allowed to.

iceatcs

Wow seem promise but day one buyers alway massive. Can't wait when PS4 coming official in here, and it should filling a bit on the market drop from last gen.
Console gaming desperate to come back and bring more games. It is way too fewer games so far.

What about the supposed DRM reported in this thread?:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896228

Well, as of the moment, there are no physical disc-releases of XB1 games in China.

Those game cases you see? They only contain download codes.
So in terms of download codes/digital releases, the language + one activation requirement is pretty much the norm.

Does it apply to physical releases or if there will ever be physical releases? we don't know.

Looks like a pretty good launch. Will upset certain people

As I ask in every single China thread.
How do we know if this is a "good" or "bad" launch or not? what are you comparing it to?

numble

Well, as of the moment, there are no physical disc-releases of XB1 games in China.

So in terms of download codes/digital releases, the language + one activation requirement is pretty much the norm.

Does it apply to physical releases or if there will ever be physical releases? we don't know.

As I ask in every single China thread.
How do we know if this is a "good" or "bad" launch or not? what are you comparing it to?
Maybe compared to the China experts that said nobody would buy it.

flkraven

What about the supposed DRM reported in this thread?:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896228

Really? This is the first I'm hearing of this. I thought that the codes on the back of the Forza packages were for the DLC that they included with the game, but I hadn't heard that there were no physical options.

p3tran

Banned
so, that infamous "return on drm" of microsoft, in reality is the code to digitally download the game?
like the code on that carton box of fifa that was included in my day1 bundle last november?

hehe, if true, I think we need better ..insiders in china :D

Cornbread78

Looks like a pretty good launch. Will upset certain people

Why? Why would a good launch "Upset" certain people? It would be good for the industry in general for new markets to open up regardless if it's MS, Sony of Nin.. I'll take that as flame-war bait at it's worst...

Celine

The US Saturn launch literally had no games in the stores and the only thing you could play on it was the super buggy Virtua Fighter port.

This at least has that beat.
Clockwork Knight, Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon, Pebble Beach Golf Links, Virtua Fighter (pack-in game), Worldwide Soccer.

I'd take the Saturn launch lineup.

wigwag85

Banned
Why? Why would a good launch "Upset" certain people? It would be good for the industry in general for new markets to open up regardless if it's MS, Sony of Nin.. I'll take that as flame-war bait at it's worst...

You don't think it'd piss off a few console warriors?

blakep267

Come on. You know people were just ready to post some Forza photoshopped pictures. I mean didn't you see the failed thread yesterday

Come on. You know people were just ready to post some Forza photoshopped pictures. I mean didn't you see the failed thread yesterday

This is literally what I came here for. To see how many microwaveable memes certain posters had at the ready to assault the thread with.

Doffen

xboxpudong-1.jpg

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-one-launches-in-china?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jagernaut

so, that infamous "return on drm" of microsoft, in reality is the code to digitally download the game?
like the code on that carton box of fifa that was included in my day1 bundle last november?

hehe, if true, I think we need better ..insiders in china :D

If there are no physical games (is this really true?) then it is a return to drm. There will be no used games.

Koppai

Whoa look at China lining up for Xbox One. Wonder why Sony didn't launch the PS4 there yet...can't wait for sales figures :)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My guess is the issue with some of the games is relatively simple:

CoD probably has the Chinese army not being good guys
Destiny shows the downfall of Earth in the future, which implies the communist party failed
BF4 is definitely a no-go.

Halo on the other hand shows some sort of nebulous world government and you only shoot aliens.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sony have thier hands full selling the PS4 to actual confirmed gaming markets, whilst MS have been free to scope out China as a possible market, due to sales being so low in Europe.

Oh come on.

It's the worlds largest country and economy that is (while slowing) one of the fastest growing newly rich nations on the planet.

This is a market that they absolutely must move into or they would be fools.

Western brands especially Western luxury brands are doing remarkably well in China and have been for some time. Not only was this move inevitable it was prudent.

Sony will be there soon enough, my guess is MS got the jump because their old DRM policy made it relatively easy to go all digital (harder to pirate) and to meet the Chinese government requirements (locked down region, etc)

Kayant

Now we know were the marketing budget for Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland went.

Loool true it became very obvious as soon as we saw the localised content excuse was fluff.

- China has got localised games/Apps
- Marketing similar to launch countries from the looks of things.
- Free XBL until March 2015
- Launch blog

Japan is Tier 1.5 :p

Should be interesting to see how it turns out given the market.

My guess is the issue with some of the games is relatively simple:

CoD probably has the Chinese army not being good guys
Destiny shows the downfall of Earth in the future, which implies the communist party failed
BF4 is definitely a no-go.

Halo on the other hand shows some sort of nebulous world government and you only shoot aliens.

IIRC China actually has less censored PC-Games than Australia and Germany. There was a nice article in a german PC-gaming magazine a few years ago about that.
The last game that was censored/banned was BF4.

CoD isnt banned yet as far as I know. Tencent even offers the MP of some CoD for free on their QQ gamezone.

Top Bottom