• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one officially launches in China

I wonder if Microsoft will have a little bit of an edge over Sony in China due to the regional feuds between China & Japan?

I really dont get how this comes up in every thread? Chinese love their korean and japanese products. Most people would rather buy a korean/japanese product than a chinese one, because they dont trust the latter.

Look at the young generation. They love their makeup from there. They spend more on their TV to have a Sony, Panasonic etc. TV and use their Galaxy (besides iPhone and maybe Lenovo).

I would say the Chinese would rather have a japanese console which offers more "japanese styled"/anime-styled games than what is offered right now on the Xbone. If they even want to spend that much on a console.

Hubble

Lets show a picture of a store with empty customers when PS4 launched.

People... Pictures don't tell anything..

numble

Zune would have been a good selling product if your only metric of judging sales is by the # of people that show up at a launch party.

I still don't think the product would sell as well as imports, PS4, the relative gaming market or those "China will help XB1 overtake in sales" posts. That said, some of the pro-XB1 guesstimates also had ridiculous low numbers that contradicts with pre-order estimates. That just tells you how clueless most people are when it comes to this topic.

As for sales numbers, there are a few ways to get the online numbers, but not retail numbers.

And yes, Neverwinter is out now. However, no one one outside of China can grab it right now (see my posts above.)

No, I have a low bar. I'm not saying that its going to do gangbusters, just that there is a market. If someone was claiming Zune won't have any sales, a line in front of a Best Buy at launch is good enough for me to disprove that extreme argument. I'm personally satisfied just to see that my coworker is buying one, as I predicted he was the one of the types of market that they are aiming for (and I did not discuss Xbox with him prior to him telling me he was buying one).

fE8ShDu.jpg

Based on what the One in China can play they might as well have a Princess Peach in there.

And yes, Neverwinter is out now. However, no one one outside of China can grab it right now (see my posts above.)

By your posts I assume that if someone buys a chinese xbox it can be played outside China, right? There is no ip lock, only console lock.

By the way Neverwinter is download only or there is a retail version? I heard that it was a pack-in game, in this case is it a disc or a download code?

Isnt china the country most developers are afraid of because of piracy? Also it states one owns black market versions of ps3, ps4 and xbox 360. Are those pirated consoles? Are there pictures of them? Curious to see how they look.

I hope this release doesnt mean bad news of piracy for Microsoft, even though, the console can get hacked in any country if hackers get on to it.

GavinGT

Banned
Isnt china the country most developers are afraid of because of piracy? Also it states one owns black market versions of ps3, ps4 and xbox 360. Are those pirated consoles? Are there pictures of them? Curious to see how they look.

I hope this release doesnt mean bad news of piracy for Microsoft, even though, the console can get hacked in any country if hackers get on to it.

They're just official consoles smuggled in from other countries.

China does sell jailbroken consoles and pirated games openly, but the consoles need to actually be jailbroken first for that to happen.

There's no mystical China land where consoles are jailbroken day one. China employs the same firmware hacks for jailbroken consoles that is openly available in the Internet.

Mario007

I'm actually doing my thesis on this very subject (the console market in China) and so I thought I might want to write down a few things about Xbone's launch in China (seeing that I am also living here so I can pretty much witness it).

I'll get straight to the point when I say the Xbone will not do good in China. I think many people think this anyway, but it needs to be said again. I don't know what are MS's expectations but it'll certainly take at least few years to sell all those 5 million consoles they got approved.

The reasons for Xbone's failure in China, however, aren't the ones that are being mostly portrayed when it comes to console gaming in China- censorship, piracy, price, grey market. Let's go through them one by one, quickly, to dispel them:
  1. Censorship- the censorship on console games is actually quite ok. The recent rules published by the Shanghai FTZ indicate that it will be the Shanghai local government in charge of approval as opposed to the myriad of the agencies that need to approve online or PC games. The rules are also quite strict in that the agency has 20 days to approve or disprove an application and must give specific reasons for its disaproval so that the content provider can apply again. These rules are very favourable and in some cases better than the already established rules for foreign games.
  2. 2Piracy- honestly, piracy isn't a problem right now due to the Xbone not being hacked yet. And even if that happens by locking out people with pirated consoles from Xbox Live MS holds a powerful weapon in a multiplayer-oriented market
  3. 3Grey market- this isn't going to be a problem for MS. Mostly because there are almost no Xbone's being sold on the grey market. Xbone arrived in Asia late so the imports really only could have started to happen this month and yet still, from what I've seen no stores seems to stock them.
  4. 4Price- honestly if a product is a desirable product here in China people will buy even for a higher price. The iPhone costs more here than in the US but no one seems to complain about that either.
Now you might think with all that dispelled Xbone has a nice road ahead of itself but the opposite is true. Firstly, the price, while in general not as relevant as many people might think, will hurt Xbone quite badly because...well it's the Xbone. It's the lesser desired of the two consoles. Overwhelming majority of Chinese gamers prefer the PS4 over Xbone and the grey market is providing quite cheap PS4 imports that will be much more desirable than the Xbone.

Secondly, MS is applying the same failed strategy that it did in the west originally with the Xbone. The ads that are out are focusing on the multimedia features of the console. The message is very much about Xbone being a multimedia centre and a TV streaming box that plays games. Not only did this fail in the west, but when Lenovo tried to use this same strategy to sell their own console 2 years ago it also failed here in China. No one watches streamed TV on their TV in China. When you have services such as youku providing free and comfortable streaming with very little data consumption mobile streaming takes over quite easily.

Further, the games have a redeemable code that prevents them from being ever resold.

The console is also region locked, meaning it will never be able to play some of the games that will surely not be allowed into China.

MS' launch itself was an awful confidence shatterrer as their message when from "we're launching on the 23rd to we're launching before the year ends to, lol actually we're launching in 5 days".

MS seems to be trying in the market, and for that they must be commanded. They will have games such as Halo 5 fully localised and are working with the local developers (i.e. probably paying them nicely) to bring exclusives and ports to the Xbone. However, that seems like too little when they are trying to push the same strategy that has failed for them here with an unattractive console.

numble

I'm actually doing my thesis on this very subject (the console market in China) and so I thought I might want to write down a few things about Xbone's launch in China (seeing that I am also living here so I can pretty much witness it).

I'll get straight to the point when I say the Xbone will not do good in China. I think many people think this anyway, but it needs to be said again. I don't know what are MS's expectations but it'll certainly take at least few years to sell all those 5 million consoles they got approved.

The reasons for Xbone's failure in China, however, aren't the ones that are being mostly portrayed when it comes to console gaming in China- censorship, piracy, price, grey market. Let's go through them one by one, quickly, to dispel them:
  1. Censorship- the censorship on console games is actually quite ok. The recent rules published by the Shanghai FTZ indicate that it will be the Shanghai local government in charge of approval as opposed to the myriad of the agencies that need to approve online or PC games. The rules are also quite strict in that the agency has 20 days to approve or disprove an application and must give specific reasons for its disaproval so that the content provider can apply again. These rules are very favourable and in some cases better than the already established rules for foreign games.
  2. 2Piracy- honestly, piracy isn't a problem right now due to the Xbone not being hacked yet. And even if that happens by locking out people with pirated consoles from Xbox Live MS holds a powerful weapon in a multiplayer-oriented market
  3. 3Grey market- this isn't going to be a problem for MS. Mostly because there are almost no Xbone's being sold on the grey market. Xbone arrived in Asia late so the imports really only could have started to happen this month and yet still, from what I've seen no stores seems to stock them.
  4. 4Price- honestly if a product is a desirable product here in China people will buy even for a higher price. The iPhone costs more here than in the US but no one seems to complain about that either.
Now you might think with all that dispelled Xbone has a nice road ahead of itself but the opposite is true. Firstly, the price, while in general not as relevant as many people might think, will hurt Xbone quite badly because...well it's the Xbone. It's the lesser desired of the two consoles. Overwhelming majority of Chinese gamers prefer the PS4 over Xbone and the grey market is providing quite cheap PS4 imports that will be much more desirable than the Xbone.

Secondly, MS is applying the same failed strategy that it did in the west originally with the Xbone. The ads that are out are focusing on the multimedia features of the console. The message is very much about Xbone being a multimedia centre and a TV streaming box that plays games. Not only did this fail in the west, but when Lenovo tried to use this same strategy to sell their own console 2 years ago it also failed here in China. No one watches streamed TV on their TV in China. When you have services such as youku providing free and comfortable streaming with very little data consumption mobile streaming takes over quite easily.

Further, the games have a redeemable code that prevents them from being ever resold.

The console is also region locked, meaning it will never be able to play some of the games that will surely not be allowed into China.

MS' launch itself was an awful confidence shatterrer as their message when from "we're launching on the 23rd to we're launching before the year ends to, lol actually we're launching in 5 days".

MS seems to be trying in the market, and for that they must be commanded. They will have games such as Halo 5 fully localised and are working with the local developers (i.e. probably paying them nicely) to bring exclusives and ports to the Xbone. However, that seems like too little when they are trying to push the same strategy that has failed for them here with an unattractive console.
Do you have a source on the failure of streaming boxes in China? That doesn't seem to ring true with what I understand of the market. The Xiaomi Box sells pretty well.

Went back to that store that got me banned on launch day, and a store across the street from that one. went after school around 5:00

3tuETin.jpg

They had the real XBones in then, but no one was still interested here.

other store had more people looking.

jagZeY6.jpg

Sadly no idongs on display.

About the same as what I'm seeing in Shenzhen. Most of the big electrical store have large displays for Xbox One. Nobody seems to be looking at it. Maybe some kid playing on the demo station. This is even at the weekends when it's busy.

Top Bottom