• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

Dragon

Banned
Has to be external considering how many power supply failures the original Xbox had.

This is an assumption. We are now 12 years since the original Xbox debuted.

I bet most of you don't feel comfortable opening up the console to replace it if it were internal.

This is irrelevant. Most of us, regardless of whether it's a power brick or internal, would have to send the console/power brick/get a replacement.

External power brick is a positive.

Your argument doesn't seem to logically follow to this conclusion.

OMG the world is ending because my new video game console has a power brick!! Oh the humanity. The hyperbole in these Xbox One threads is fucking hilarious

Yes it is but don't point it out otherwise "you must be getting paid". These guys never heard of the term "group think".

I thought a PSU of any form was bad design, now it's bad if it's a big one?

It's so silly.
I'm saying the size of the Xbox One console. How many electronic devices the size of the Xbox One do you see needing an external power supply? The only one I can think of are some printers.

I'm really enjoying the influx of all these new juniors, E3 is going to be a bloodbath.

Lemme tell you: the past few weeks has made me think maybe taking a vacation from here for 2 or 3 months might not be a bad idea ;)

I had totally forgotten how this place gets leading up to a console launch. Maybe I blocked it out!

I'm saying the size of the Xbox One console. How many electronic devices the size of the Xbox One do you see needing an external power supply? The only one I can think of are some printers.

IIRC, my Wii U has one.

My Ouya has one.

I think my HD antenna has one, and I know I have a scart converter with one.

All of these are smaller than the Xbox One. I'm probably forgetting a few, because - wait for it - they are under entertainment stands or behind things, and I never see them.

clav

This is irrelevant. Most of us, regardless of whether it's a power brick or internal, would have to send the console/power brick/get a replacement.
Haha oh wow.

Would you rather send a power brick or send the console?

I'd rather send the power brick only. Either way, by the time either dies, you will have to pay out of pocket, and replacing a power brick is far easier than opening up the console and replacing it.

The mental backflips in this thread.

IIRC, my Wii U is smaller and has one.

My Ouya has one.

I think my HD antenna has one, and I know I have a scart converter with one.

All of these are smaller than the Xbox One.
I think you missed the point. It's more understandable for smaller devices to have an external power supply since there is less internal space. You don't see many devices around the size of an Xbox One with an external power supply. They are typically large enough to house it internally. People expect it to be internal at that size.

Dragon

Banned
Haha oh wow.

I'd rather send the power brick only. Either way, by the time either dies, you would probably have to pay out of pocket.

Can you play a console without a power brick? No. It's irrelevant. Who cares what you'd rather send? Either way you're talking about the hardware failing. You shouldn't engineer something that it makes it easier to send in if the hardware fails. What kind of piss poor engineering logic is that?

clav

Can you play a console without a power brick? No. It's irrelevant. Who cares what you'd rather send? Either way you're talking about the hardware failing. You shouldn't engineer something that it makes it easier to send in if the hardware fails. What kind of piss poor engineering logic is that?

tag quote the underlined

:lol What's wrong with better user serviceability?

I'll remember this.

and hey now, who are you insulting?

Haha oh wow.

I'd rather send the power brick only. Either way, by the time either dies, you will have to pay out of pocket, and replacing a power brick is far easier than opening up the console and replacing it.

Power supplies are usually more susceptible to breaking when external. The most common way they break is people leaving them on carpet flooring and they overheat from insulated heat.

clav

Power supplies are usually more susceptible to breaking when external. The most common way they break is people leaving them on carpet flooring and they overheat from insulated heat.

That's like saying consoles break because people put them in cabinets that don't have holes for air ventilation.

I don't understand your claim.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, it has a power brick that's going to sit behind my tv stand where I will never see it? Pre order cancelled.

I think you missed the point. It's more understandable for smaller devices to have an external power supply since there is less internal space. You don't see many devices around the size of an Xbox One with an external power supply. They are typically large enough to house it internally. People expect it to be internal at that size.

Who are these people? You keep mentioning these fictitious personae ...where are they can I shake their hands?

miked808

I don't know if people "expect it". Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of it being external. Portability, cost, heat, better audio performance (less hum),quicker development and manufacturing.

Disadvantages. It's ugly and the Playstation doesn't have one.

I think either I'm not following your argument, or you keep moving the goalposts. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Devices in my apartment with an external PSU that are bigger than an Xbox One: a printer/scanner, a record player, a TV. Etc. My point is: some devices have them internally, some don't. To make some weird declarative statement like a given device should or should not have an external PSU... it seems arbitrary, and silly. Unless you were one of the engineers on the project and know something we don't, I imagine there is a method to their madness. And even if not, whatever - it's not important. Especially in the ocean of legitimate questions about the Xbox One.

I don't know if people "expect it". Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of it being external. Portability, cost, heat, better audio performance (less hum),quicker development and manufacturing.

Disadvantages. It's ugly and the Playstation doesn't have one.
The Xbox 360 managed to be plenty loud with an external power supply. I don't see how you can seriously try to spin external as a better solution.

I think either I'm not following your argument, or you keep moving the goalposts. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Devices in my apartment with an external PSU that are bigger than an Xbox One: a printer/scanner, a record player, a TV. Etc. My point is: some devices have them internally, some don't. To make some weird declarative statement like a given device should or should not have an external PSU... it seems arbitrary, and silly. Unless you were one of the engineers on the project and know something we don't, I imagine there is a method to their madness. And even if not, whatever - it's not important. Especially in the ocean of legitimate questions about the Xbox One.

When you use logic like that people here claim you are paid by M$. Be careful!

Its accepted here to create straw man arguments...or straw men..that involve fictional people who "agree" with your wild view point. For example "people expect power bricks to exist elsewhere just not with Xbox video game consoles".

Wizman23

Banned
Another huge brick...

Probably not the kind of megaton Microsoft fans are looking for.

I don't think any fans care at all, same as PS4 fans won't care if they have a huge power brick. Keep the hyperbole rolling though its entertaining me on a Friday afternoon at work.

I didnt move any goal posts. You can re-read what I said earlier. I did use printers as an example. What kind of television do you have that has an external power supply? I've never seen that on tvs or monitors. I kind of find that hard to believe. And record players aren't exactly relevant pieces of technology today.

I'm not saying its a disaster or anything. I think it's disappointing and odd they didnt make it internal. People here are exaggerating people's complaints.

When you use logic like that people here claim you are paid by M$. Be careful!

Its accepted here to create straw man arguments...or straw men..that involve fictional people who "agree" with your wild view point. For example "people expect power bricks to exist elsewhere just not with Xbox video game consoles".

Nobody here is making any accusations of being paid. We don't think you are paid by Microsoft.

And you are using a straw man by misquoting me.

Dragon

Banned
tag quote the underlined

:lol What's wrong with better user serviceability?

I'll remember this.

and hey now, who are you insulting?

I'm insulting Microsoft engineers for not being able to put the brick in the console. Make fun of the size of the PS3 but at least it was internal.

I don't think any fans care at all, same as PS4 fans won't care if they have a huge power brick. Keep the hyperbole rolling though its entertaining me on a Friday afternoon at work.

I kid, I kid. Always thought the 360 brick was atrocious, but it wasn't a big deal when I had one.

miked808

The Xbox 360 managed to be plenty loud with an external power supply. I don't see how you can seriously try to spin external as a better solution.

I'm not saying it's better just listing some advantages and disadvantages. The 360 was loud because of the DVD drive and fan speed because of the ridiculously small fans they had to cool that GPU and CPU. Microsoft should of did their engineering better on that but I could see why they went with a power brick again.

I didnt move any goal posts. You can re-read what I said earlier. I did use printers as an example. What kind of television do you have that has an external power supply? I've never seen that on tvs or monitors. I kind of find that hard to believe. And record players aren't exactly relevant pieces of technology today.

I'm not saying its a disaster or anything. I think it's disappointing and odd they didnt make it internal. People here are exaggerating people's complaints.

Oh gosh, do you want the model number of my TV too? I'm at work but lemme make a note and I'll get right on that tonight. In the meantime: thanks for assuming I am so invested in this conversation that I'll invent an external PSU TV to make my point. That's awesome.

The record player is a new model, built a couple years ago. You know music nerds and hipsters, etc. are into vinyl, right? And that albums still come out on vinyl? And that not every record player is a relic from 1968? So I think that counts.

Nobody here is making any accusations of being paid. We don't think you are paid by Microsoft.

And you are using a straw man by misquoting me.

Not you but some did earlier can't find it on my phone browser. But you are creating "people" as your argument which is a fallacy. Your opinion is that the brick sucks. That's all this is really about.

Really unless you live in a shoe box it's not a massive deal, by the looks of it it's pretty small and can easily be tucked away behind your TV, entertainment unit or the Xbox itself. I mean by the looks of it you could hide a small family behind that console. Haha.

Like I said earlier I just hope it's not external because of heat issues, other then that I don't care as long as the console's reliable.

Having said that it would've been nice to have an internal power supply. It's just more aesthetically pleasing.

Oh gosh, do you want the model number of my TV too? I'm at work but lemme make a note and I'll get right on that tonight. In the meantime: thanks for assuming I am so invested in this conversation that I'll invent an external PSU TV to make my point. That's awesome.

The record player is a new model, built a couple years ago. You know music nerds and hipsters, etc. are into vinyl, right? And that albums still come out on vinyl? And that not every record player is a relic from 1968? So I think that counts.

The PS4 doesn't play records therefore they do not exist.

I didnt think you were lying. I thought it was more likely you were mistaken. I figured maybe you thought one of those power bricks behind your tv was for the TV when it wasn't. Can we at least agree that tvs normally have an internal power supply?

Yes, I know they still make record players and vinyl still has its advantages. It just seems like something that may not be updated with newer designs if it is still reading them in analog.

clav

External power supplies often die from hear because they have no cooling and people often don't have the forethought to suspend them in the air.

You can make the same argument for internal power supplies as the situation is worse.

The power supply sits next to a heat source, which essentially is an oven.

Top Bottom