• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

Coming later is fine but the ps3 not having features like trophies, invites, and chat out of the box was a contributing factor to the 360 becoming the preferred console for press coverage early on and let them establish a stronger community.

Coming later is fine but the ps3 not having features like trophies, invites, and chat out of the box was a contributing factor to the 360 becoming the preferred console for press coverage early on and let them establish a stronger community.

i agree, but luckily Sony already has these features planned way ahead of time, and just couldn't get them out. a lot of the stuff 360 was doing you could tell Sony hadn't even thought of, so they had to put it in after the console had already been designed.

i think they're both pretty much on par as far as core features. i don't think the hdmi pass-through and PiP is going to be as big of a deal as lack of trophies or competent DD store.

do people still not know what the suspend/resume function is?

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL BE ABLE TO:
-switch between your game and other apps (ie: multitasking)
-allow the PS4 to download things while it's asleep (much like PS+ users have been doing on PS3 for a long time)
-wake up your PS4 remotely via Vita or the PS App on a smartphone

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO:
-pause your game, put the PS4 to sleep, and then come back later and turn it on, bringing the game up immediately right where you left off.

so that's what's missing until they add it in via 1.6 or whatever. then it will be just like Vita when you hit the power button while in a game/app. THAT'S ALL. simply the ability for the PS4 to freeze the RAM state while an app is active. they probably have some issues with it they are ironing out, as they have it working perfectly on Vita. i've even had my Vita refuse to turn on because of low battery while it was suspended, and once i charged it, i turned it on and it brought me right back to where my game was. magic.

It's actually better than PS+ on PS3, since it doesn't need to turn the console on to download, so your electric bill will thank you at the end of the month. I think the Xbone works the same way as PS4 on this.

A shame that the suspend function won't be ready at launch, I use it all the time on my Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's actually better than PS+ on PS3, since it doesn't need to turn the console on to download, so your electric bill will thank you at the end of the month. I think the Xbone works the same way as PS4 on this.

A shame that the suspend function won't be ready at launch, I use it all the time on my Vita.

It's kind of different with a handheld console though? Something you maybe use in bursts on commutes, or whatever. I a home console I'd guess sessions are likely to be more considered and longer.

Having said that, I think it will end up being one of the stand out features of this coming generation - we won't know how we managed without it before. But if we have to wait a couple of months I can live with that.

For now, if you're planning a few sessions during a day, you could suspend the game back to the Dashboard, and just leave it there - by all accounts that'll be relatively low power and quiet so you'd be fine raving it like that for a few hours.

Tux

i agree, but luckily Sony already has these features planned way ahead of time, and just couldn't get them out. a lot of the stuff 360 was doing you could tell Sony hadn't even thought of, so they had to put it in after the console had already been designed.

i think they're both pretty much on par as far as core features. i don't think the hdmi pass-through and PiP is going to be as big of a deal as lack of trophies or competent DD store.

Exactly. Sony was always going to allow the game "share/upload" share feature. It wasn't until this HDMI (highly restrictive) pass-through came up when Sony realized that there was much more to just letting the PS4 do the work. It's also about the game capture cards and people's ability to customize their voice overs and play throughs. Sony most likely is busy working closely with YouTube, Ustream and other game capture card makers to ensure that copy-righted material isn't abused (overly cautious?).

Sony Entertainment and Sony Music/Movie division have always been in battle with each other (the legal department/lawyers, that is). Microsoft solution was "always on-line/big-brother/track every file (It's a feature guys! You want this...)" business plan. Since Sony isn't following this plan they have to take other precautions. It's one thing to allow for HDMI game play pass-through. It's another thing to allow Blu-ray HDMI pass-through (and streaming). :O

jond76

Banned
Wow...finally Xbots have something PS4 doesn't have at launch...WOW.

I thought this guy would've been banned by now. Huh.

Anyway, I expect that features will be rolling in constantly in both consoles.

I can't help but be excited to see the bleeps and bloops both consoles will go through. Its fun to watch unfold, as long as they don't completely fail. That's no fun.

Exciting times ahead folks!

Top Bottom