• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

nikos

I couldn't really care less about this feature. If I stop playing for a short amount of time, I pause the game. If I stop playing for a long amount of time, I'm going to turn the console off regardless.

ShapeGSX

I couldn't really care less about this feature. If I stop playing for a short amount of time, I pause the game. If I stop playing for a long amount of time, I'm going to turn the console off regardless.

And with this feature, your game would be ready for you when you turn the console back on.

Seems like a good thing to me.

madmackem

This should be one of the biggest if not the biggest improvements of this generation over the previous generation. The ability to multitask and suspend and resume.

At least background downloading and updating is in.

Sorry to say but Sony fucked up by not getting it on launch day.

I am fearful about all the bugs present on day one for both consoles.

You can still do that.

UNCMark

Banned

Guess what? If they have suspend mode, you can still do it your way.

Bodde

Banned
These flame baiting threads....it seems the closer we come to launch the worse it gets. Fact is that both consoles will miss certain features at launch that will be patched in at a later date.

Am I the only one that thinks banning the spamming of the "preorder cancelled" meme needs to be considered? At this point it's basically being used to say "this is bad news but I don't care". It hurts discussion to respond to every negative thing with "but we have good things Y and Z so bad thing X doesn't matter".

And it shouldn't be forgotten by many in this thread that every time we get a thread about things concerning the Xbox One not being available at launch, many of which were smaller than this, we would get a stream of "not ready", "rushed", "more 180s" often whether the feature was confirmed for launch or not, etc. I don't like such unequal treatment of similar news by those quick to categorize information into a narrative based on which console it's about. It goes both ways of course but when I see stuff like this I like to point it out.

Odrion

Banned
I figured Microsoft would've built the better console OS, but I never would've thought that Sony couldn't implement a feature as simple as suspend/resume.

cakefoo

I value this feature a great deal. The thought of spending several minutes mashing face buttons before a game discourages me from even playing it.

Anyone who dislikes the inconvenience of loading physical media probably would value suspend/resume highly as well.

This feature is absolutely amazing on the Vita. I hope the PS4 is updated soon after launch to support this feature.

Also, suspend/resume is not the same as multitasking or dl'ing a game from sleep mode. The PS4 supports these features at launch.

geordiemp

I think we will all be happy, xbox one and ps4 prospective buyers, if the OS are stable and the games run good with all the bad rumours on GAF these last few weeks.

Makr

Neo Member
This is a small feature while nice to have isn't something I have to have at launch. It's nice to see xbox one having something over ps4 in a wave of disappointments.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one that thinks banning the spamming of the "preorder cancelled" meme needs to be considered? At this point it's basically being used to say "this is bad news but I don't care". It hurts discussion to respond to every negative thing with "but we have good things Y and Z so bad thing X doesn't matter".

And it shouldn't be forgotten by many in this thread that every time we get a thread about things concerning the Xbox One not being available at launch, many of which were smaller than this, we would get a stream of "not ready", "rushed", "more 180s" often whether the feature was confirmed for launch or not, etc. I don't like such unequal treatment of similar news by those quick to categorize information into a narrative based on which console it's about. It goes both ways of course but when I see stuff like this I like to point it out.

While I agree the "preorder canceled" joke is a bit overdone, to complain that Microsoft is bashed more often than Sony is not controllable and shouldn't be controlled, we'll, because, you know, those are the opinions people maintain. Neogaf just seems to like Sony more.

djjinx2

While I agree the "preorder canceled" joke is a bit overdone, to complain that Microsoft is bashed more often than Sony is not controllable and shouldn't be controlled, we'll, because, you know, those are the opinions people maintain. Neogaf just seems to like Sony more.

Nope, MS just fucked up big time this gen

KillGore

A shame it won't be at launch but it'll be there regardless. I've been turning off the console for two decades, I can wait a few more months

greg400

Banned
Not really that surprising, Microsoft is primarily a software company whereas Sony is primarily a hardware company.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This should be one of the biggest if not the biggest improvements of this generation over the previous generation. The ability to multitask and suspend and resume.

At least background downloading and updating is in.

Sorry to say but Sony fucked up by not getting it on launch day.

I am fearful about all the bugs present on day one for both consoles.

seems a bit foreshadowing... removing the feature at launch would remove the bug. unless there is something bigger going on that I am not aware of.

Zee-Row

Banned
I've survived gaming for over 20 years without this feature. I think I can afford to wait a few months without it on PS4.

do people still not know what the suspend/resume function is?

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL BE ABLE TO:
-switch between your game and other apps (ie: multitasking)
-allow the PS4 to download things while it's asleep (much like PS+ users have been doing on PS3 for a long time)
-wake up your PS4 remotely via Vita or the PS App on a smartphone

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO:
-pause your game, put the PS4 to sleep, and then come back later and turn it on, bringing the game up immediately right where you left off.

so that's what's missing until they add it in via 1.6 or whatever. then it will be just like Vita when you hit the power button while in a game/app. THAT'S ALL. simply the ability for the PS4 to freeze the RAM state while an app is active. they probably have some issues with it they are ironing out, as they have it working perfectly on Vita. i've even had my Vita refuse to turn on because of low battery while it was suspended, and once i charged it, i turned it on and it brought me right back to where my game was. magic.

EGM1966

Seems odd they've missed it for launch given how well Vita does it but this is going to be very irrelevant in how well each console does. Certainly I can't imagine basing any sensible purchase choice off this temporary difference.

Tux

I already explained - you're reading too much into it. But to retort just for you: I expected this feature to be available at launch going by the Vita. And now it's been revealed as a delayed feature - it reminds me of something Sony would have done in the early PS3 days.

It's essentially like saying, "Kinect included in XB1. Oh god. Reminds me of the 'old Microsoft" trying to force the Kinect again."

It's not a necessary comment.

You are complaining about a delayed feature is ignoring all the *new* features that the PS4's XMB/System Software will be adding...those of which were impossible on the PS3 due to hardware limitations (RAM). Look at the big picture, then claim "old Sony."

Watch what you say since the first report of *any* failed XB1's will result in a "RROD Part 2" deluge. "Old Microsoft, here we go again..."

UNCMark

Banned
do people still not know what the suspend/resume function is?

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL BE ABLE TO:
-switch between your game and other apps (ie: multitasking)
-allow the PS4 to download things while it's asleep (much like PS+ users have been doing on PS3 for a long time)
-wake up your PS4 remotely via Vita or the PS App on a smartphone

with PS4 firmware 1.5 you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO:
-pause your game, put the PS4 to sleep, and then come back later and turn it on, bringing the game up immediately right where you left off.

so that's what's missing until they add it in via 1.6 or whatever. then it will be just like Vita when you hit the power button while in a game/app. THAT'S ALL. simply the ability for the PS4 to freeze the RAM state while an app is active. they probably have some issues with it they are ironing out, as they have it working perfectly on Vita. i've even had my Vita refuse to turn on because of low battery while it was suspended, and once i charged it, i turned it on and it brought me right back to where my game was. magic.

No kidding. That's why the subject header says Suspend/Resume. That's why it sucks. The ability to pause a game, suspend the console, and the come right back later to exactly where you were quickly is the feature Sony touted back in Feb. That's what people like myself were expecting. It'll eventually be there. Can't blame people for being upset that it's not there day 1.

kaiyo

Multi tasking is still there, you can suspend the game, go do some OS stuff and resume the game, the only thing missing is the low power state suspend. The only thing missing essentially is saving 3c on power when leaving a game paused.

Edit: Or did you mean Penello? If so, no idea.

You mean Penello's response? We have no idea but I'm guessing he was referring to multitasking. Not saying that the Xbone's sleep mode won't be there at launch either, I just doubt Penello understood the question properly. When talking about Suspend/Resume, the first thing that comes to mind is multitasking, not sleep mode.

Yes I mean Penello.

So people are jumping to conclusions? Penello needs to clarify. It can be taken to mean multitasking (which the PS4 will do at launch), or suspend (a game) to sleep mode, (which the PS4 will not do at launch).

No kidding. That's why the subject header says Suspend/Resume. That's why it sucks. The ability to pause a game, suspend the console, and the come right back later to exactly where you were quickly is the feature Sony touted back in Feb. That's what people like myself were expecting. It'll eventually be there. Can't blame people for being upset that it's not there day 1.

yeah it's fine to be upset if you know what it is, but there are still tons of people in the thread that, even after it's been explained several times, still think that it means they can't download things in the background or switch between apps.

Top Bottom