• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One supports Suspend/Resume at launch, PS4 doesn't

Raist

Banned
All Sony said was that some features shown were 'aspirational' in nature. It's not until now that we're finding out which ones those were.

Whether it's mentioned (the "aspirational" bit) or not, quite frankly generally when there's talk about "that's the stuff your console will do" I take it as a plan more than anything.
I don't take stuff granted for day 1 etc if it's not explicitely mentioned. If they give a date and then delay it, yeah that's a bummer.

Orca

I don't know how I feel on the subject!

Pro:
It takes precious GPU space 2-10% to implement the feature. Screw that! Make the parity between the PS4 and X1 wider.

Cons:
If it doesn't so little resources that we wouldn't notice! Do it!

If only we knew...

If they're planning to have suspend/resume function, that space/power is already reserved and will remain reserved so there's no 'gain/loss' based on having it or not having it yet. If they decided to never do it, they could release that reserve for future games.

If they're planning to have suspend/resume function, that space/power is already reserved and will remain reserved so there's no 'gain/loss' based on having it or not having it yet. If they decided to never do it, they could release that reserve for future games.

Exactly! I'd rather get the resources back if it's a hog.

JaggedSac

I don't know how I feel on the subject!

Pro:
It takes precious GPU space 2-10% to implement the feature. Screw that! Make the parity between the PS4 and X1 wider.

Cons:
If it uses little resources and we wouldn't notice! Do it!

If only we knew...

GPU isn't used for suspend/resume. Xbox has that reserved for Snap and Kinect. Obviously, suspend/resume helps with Snap since applications that are recently used would still be in memory and would snap quickly.

They are getting flack for not having a feature that was showcased as a big part of the system since it was announced.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was advertised as a 'big' part of the system. A lot of you are blowing this way out of proportion.

If the Share button was disabled even after 1.5? Yeah, that would be reason to be cheesed off. But as it stands you can still multitask with the system and they said sleep/resume is coming shortly after. PS4 will still download stuff in the background and while asleep.

jiggles

Banned
I know this is a dirty word around here now, but the thing that (ahem) concerns me about it not being at launch is that it probably won't be supported by every PS4 game when it does arrive.

Well, that is a shame. Unfortunate, but I guess it is better late than never. It does seem strange that it wouldn't be ready to go but they've been talking about since the PS4 was announced. Oh well.

PS4 pre-order canceled.

RulkezX

They are getting flack for not having a feature that was showcased as a big part of the system since it was announced.

Genuine question , when was it "showcased".

I'd seen it mentioned, but never at the forefront of any feature list.

Are people misinterpreting this as no multitasking period, or are they really trying to paint the picture that Sony had this front and centre in their marketing ?

I know this is a dirty word around here now, but the thing that (ahem) concerns me about it not being at launch is that it probably won't be supported by every PS4 game when it does arrive.

It's an OS feature, it will be supported at the OS level.

Spades

Very good point. People here will fob-off the significance of this because, well it's PS4 and not Xbox One.

Gaz_RB

I think most are saying that in a joking manner, but if they are being serious I'm not sure why that would matter to anyone here.

I realize most of them are joking, I just wonder why anyone preordered in the first place if they cancel because sleep mode isn't in at launch.

Mr Moose

Genuine question , when was it "showcased".

I'd seen it mentioned, but never at the forefront of any feature list.

Are people misinterpreting this as no multitasking period, or are they really trying to paint the picture that Sony had this front and centre in their marketing ?

It's an OS feature, it will be supported at the OS level.

Multitasking? I thought it was about when the PS4/game goes into sleep mode, you can start it back up from the "low power state" and continue playing.
Aww man now I am confused... :(

mekes

I'm only slightly disappointed that it wont be there for launch. I want it to be patched in and I hope it will be within 6 months, any longer than that and I'll start to worry about its inclusion. Its by no means a deal breaker, not in the slightest, I'm very happy with news of how the console is shaping up and I regard this as the first negative news for PS4 since February, which is a great achievement for Sony in my opinion.

Its only a minor disappointment to me, I'm sure I'll live.

Caayn

Could have sworn PS4 has the same ability of Xbone to suspend a game but none of them have the same ability of the Vita (at present).
Xbox One has the same ability as the vita. It's only the PS4 that doesn't have it ready on launch.

RulkezX

Multitasking? I thought it was about when the PS4/game goes into sleep mode, you can start it back up from the "low power state" and continue playing.
Aww man now I am confused... :(

I think a lot of people are thinking that you cant press guide button, go to ui load up netflix , watch a video , play a PSN game and then resume the game from where you left it.

Games are still going to work like they do on say iOS and Vita, you just can't put it into a standby mode and go away for hours/days/weeks/whatever.

Mr Moose

I think a lot of people are thinking that you cant press guide button, go to ui load up netflix , watch a video , play a PSN game and then resume the game from where you left it.

Games are still going to work like they do on say iOS and Vita, you just can't put it into a standby mode and go away for hours/days/weeks/whatever.

Oh sweet, so I understood it correctly? It's not really an issue then, I don't leave games for that long without playing them, I quit and go back to them later.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks Sony you showed us some bad news now I have certain PS4 is real :D

Serious... this is a big feature IMO... I expect they fix that soon.

PS. This thread will be fun if MS didn't deliver too.

Red Mage

So what was my agenda then?

Also, where are all the "Lol have you seen OPs previous posts, this is no surprise" comments.

Can you really not understand why people would see this as a pot shot? The fact that, rather than remove the comment that's derailing your own thread (and doesn't contribute to the discussion), you added a justification and continue to argue about makes it seem like you're fishing for trouble.

RulkezX

Jesus, it's not that deep guys.

Do you like, unplug every electrical device or just your console? I don't understand why people do this.

I unplug everything apart from my router at night, shit can't go on fire when it's not plugged in.

I know it's not the norm , I just don't like shit being plugged into electrical sockets when not in use, especially when it's literally a flick of a switch to turn them back on in the morning.

kaiyo

So when he said yes, does it mean yes to suspend/resume when multitasking, or suspend/resume to/from "sleep" (low-power) mode?

Lol, ice cold.

But on that note, apparently even that's not a lock, if CBoaT is to be believed (which, IMO, he is).

If Forza can do it [1080p], multiplat devs will be able to do it eventually too. You have to imagine first party devs have a much better line on the way to do things than 3rd party devs and eventually that info and those best practices will get shared so everyone can benefit. The same thing happened to PS3 initially, IIRC.

Dead Man

So when he said yes, does it mean yes to suspend/resume when multitasking, or suspend/resume to/from "sleep" (low-power) mode?

Multi tasking is still there, you can suspend the game, go do some OS stuff and resume the game, the only thing missing is the low power state suspend. The only thing missing essentially is saving 3c on power when leaving a game paused.

Edit: Or did you mean Penello? If so, no idea.

Zoggy

like many others have said this is not a big negative to me, nor would it be if the same was true for xbox one.

less than a year from now, this will all be forgotten (same with the 720p fiasco for xbox)

kartu

Banned
Pre-order preordered.

PS
That's one weird feature to be missing on stock firmware.

Remote play is the best feature of any of these new consoles, and Sony has that working on day 1.

I wish they supported PC though.
USB cable or BT =>. PC => yeehaa.

You mean Penello's response? We have no idea but I'm guessing he was referring to multitasking. Not saying that the Xbone's sleep mode won't be there at launch either, I just doubt Penello understood the question properly. When talking about Suspend/Resume, the first thing that comes to mind is multitasking, not sleep mode.

Metzhara

I'm generally known as a "Microsoft guy" (mostly because I own more games on that system and people are bad at classification) but this information doesn't bother me. What has always bothered me however is when companies (and Sony does this often) uses deliberate misleading, knowing people will assume, to push their products. It's common for them.
And before people say, "Well all companies do it," they don't. Not doing this also doesn't mean you're suddenly awesome, either.
I dislike it when people hide information and I tend to treat companies like individual persons.
I usually stay away from Sony at parties but we sometimes hang in small groups. I don't plan on giving Sony the keys to my house and my children will never call him "uncle."
Even though this information dropped, I'm still super excited about the dual console festival I'll be having in less than a month.
DAMN MAN! A MONTH!
In all seriousness though, looking through the firmware that Sony has released for PS3, we'll probably see it within the first three to six months, along with a slough of other, mostly useless to the majority, additions such as "BluRay Zoom" or "adding aspect ratio options." In the end people will forget this once they see their Shadowfall playing for the first time. Or playing Resogun.
-Adam

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I didn't even know Xbox one could do that.

But if you're going to compare features that are important this really isn't on the list IMO.

UNCMark

Banned
I didn't even know Xbox one could do that.

But if you're going to compare features that are important this really isn't on the list IMO.

It's quite important. Especially given how long it's probably going to take to load games again this gen. It's been one of the features that is consistently listed among the coolest reasons to buy a new console.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's quite important. Especially given how long it's probably going to take to load games again this gen. It's been one of the features that is consistently listed among the coolest reasons to buy a new console.

Considering no one has played either console in normal conditions I find it hard to be convinced long load times are a given

It might be a cool reason to own thr console and I'm excited about it too but it's kind of like... Every other home console ever has not had this feature so its not like we haven't dealt with it before. Up until controllers weren't wireless we would never turn the console on remotely. Now we can't even dream of that being a possibility. Sometimes there's a transitionary period into something like that.

But being able to turn a console on from your seat never impacted the quality of games or anything substantial like that. It's a quality of life change and not something that will be used to say "this makes the games better"

Wasp

It's a major disappointment about suspend/resume missing at launch. It was perhaps the biggest new feature of the console I was excited in checking out.

I really hope they patch it in by Christmas at least.

madmackem

Well, that is a shame. Unfortunate, but I guess it is better late than never. It does seem strange that it wouldn't be ready to go but they've been talking about since the PS4 was announced. Oh well.

PS4 pre-order canceled.

They havent, i honestly didnt know it was even a feature, i think many are getting confused with mutli tasking resume and standby resume.

madmackem

That was mutli task resume which is still there day one.

Proelite

This should be one of the biggest if not the biggest improvements of this generation over the previous generation. The ability to multitask and suspend and resume.

At least background downloading and updating is in.

Sorry to say but Sony fucked up by not getting it on launch day.

I am fearful about all the bugs present on day one for both consoles.

Top Bottom