• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Breaking Bad Train GIF

12 pages. You are welcome HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

BoxFresh123

Saw some people post elsewhere that's it illegal in certain places for the cursor/focus to be set on the "buy now" by default?

Many places around the world have that law?

DeVeAn

Yeah not cool. Already hate that the far right corner is a permanent ad.

In comparison the switch dash has 0 ads. I appreciate that.

GHG

Gold Member
Is it so crazy to not like ads and not want them to spread? A full screen interactive ad seems extreme, and like something that should be spoken out against.

It's always funny watching people defend this shit in it's infancy.

I remember people defending oblivion horse armour like their lives depended on it and look where that got us. These people never learn, let them suck that trillion dollar corporation cock.

lemmings GIF

I remember people defending oblivion horse armour like their lives depended on it and look where that got us. These people never learn, let them suck that trillion dollar corporation cock.

lemmings GIF
Damn, you still hurt from that? Still hadn’t heal. That’s over 15 years ago man. Wonder what your last breath will be. What will you say. 🤣

MarkMe2525

lemmings GIF
Yes, it is a totally reasonable assessment that today's advertising and monetization practices all stem from the horse armor situation. Can you even keep a straight face while typing this out?

Saw some people post elsewhere that's it illegal in certain places for the cursor/focus to be set on the "buy now" by default?

Many places around the world have that law?
TDIL
Does that have to be a buy now that is actually buying or just a buy now that redirects you onto the next buying landing page?

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, it is a totally reasonable assessment that today's advertising and monetization practices all stem from the horse armor situation. Can you even keep a straight face while typing this out?

That's literally where monetisation in AAA videogames started, it snowballed from there.

Here's the thread from 2006:

And here's the voice of reason:

This is what games are going to turn into. Ideas during development that, instead of being added to the game, will be held until after release and made avaiable for purchase. What a joke.

Anyone who buys this shit deserves to be kicked in the junk.

There will prove to be voices of reason from this thread, yours won't be one of them.

Enjoy your ads.

MarkMe2525

That's literally where monetisation in AAA videogames started, it snowballed from there.

Here's the thread from 2006:

And here's the voice of reason:

There will prove to be voices of reason from this thread, yours won't be one of them.

Enjoy your ads.
I'm aware of the horse armor controversy, as I witnessed it in real time. Let me rephrase, are you implying that if MS never launched its microtransaction platform on the 360, that no one else would have taken their place as the first company to offer them?

The defence force that's trying to convince you that this is ok should be noted for the corporate shilling and avoid in every discussion moving forward.
PlayStation fans are doing the exact same thing in the physical drive drm thread right now. Lesson being, don't listen to fanboys.

SenkiDala

Yeah not cool. Already hate that the far right corner is a permanent ad.

In comparison the switch dash has 0 ads. I appreciate that.
It has a permanent ad incremented in the dashboard to force you to subscribe Nintendo Online. It is the damn 1st icon.

DeVeAn

It has a permanent ad incremented in the dashboard to force you to subscribe Nintendo Online. It is the damn 1st icon.
Maybe because it’s not a picture of Doritos and Mountain Dew. Didn’t know it showed up if you weren’t subbed.

Thankfully, it’s only happened once.

And I never saw one for Starfield. We use ours multiple times a day it’s how we stream anything on our living room today.

SirTerry-T

So I switched my series X on last night for the first time in a week....within two seconds the ad was gone and I was indeed, "getting on with my life".

No one died, I didn't rush out and get a COD game to appease my Microsoft overlords and Phil Spencer is (I assume) still loving that I am a slave to Game pass, Microsoft and all this industry has to offer.

xrnzaaas

Thankfully, it’s only happened once.

And I never saw one for Starfield. We use ours multiple times a day it’s how we stream anything on our living room today.
If people are going to start clicking on the 'buy' button to visit the store you can expect them with every major release.

What I hate about all of this is that all types of ads from the dashboard include also paying GPU users. Normally when you pay extra you get an option of an ad-free experience.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
12 fricken pages?? 12 FRICKEN PAGES? Unbelievable!
I hope like hell this topic isnt brought up in 15 years. People will read it and think, "Wow! We really were living in caves!"

Seriously, this is embarrassing...

You’ll be sorry about “downplaying” this in fifteen years when every time you boot up the console you have to sit through four minutes of ads! Never mind the fact that we’ve been predicting for twenty years that MS is exiting hardware! Don’t ask us to be consistent in our conspiracy theory and doomsday crystal ballism!

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It really is embarrassing that there are people trying to downplay full screen interactive ads.
It truly is almost unthinkable that it takes less than one second to hit the B button and the ad disappears, and you never see it again.

It’s almost as inconvenient as the start screen you see every single time you load up a game that adds no value to the experience.

Roxkis_ii

You’ll be sorry about “downplaying” this in fifteen years when every time you boot up the console you have to sit through four minutes of ads! Never mind the fact that we’ve been predicting for twenty years that MS is exiting hardware! Don’t ask us to be consistent in our conspiracy theory and doomsday crystal ballism!
So let me ask you this, do you like ads?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It truly is almost unthinkable that it takes less than one second to hit the B button and the ad disappears, and you never see it again.

It’s almost as inconvenient as the start screen you see every single time you load up a game that adds no value to the experience.
Sheesh..

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So let me ask you this, do you like ads?
No one likes ads but they are a necessary evil. Games have to be marketed to get the word out to gamers. It literally takes one second to back out of it and move on with your gaming session. I just cant get the logic of people being upset over a one second ad that you'll never see again. "Does not fucking compute"....is an understatement.

No one likes ads but they are a necessary evil. Games have to be marketed to get the word out to gamers. It literally takes one second to back out of it and move on with your gaming session. I just cant get the logic of people being upset over a one second ad that you'll never see again. "Does not fucking compute"....is an understatement.
They're not just going to market games. The dashboard already has ads for other products, including theatrical releases. They're doing that right now, on the home dashboard.

And I don't need any marketing for games. That's why I want to opt out.

I'm actually fine if they keep it as the default option for people. If 50% of people with GP didn't even try Starfield, they are pretty oblivious and that's fine. Shove an ad in their face. They wont even know there's an opt out in the options. But for me, that option needs to be there. I do not need that shit in my face ever, let alone on startup on the dashboard, where you have to exit it to even get to the base functionality of the console.

This would be an intrusive ad in the STORE. This is on the fucking dashboard. 1000% unacceptable.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Not even remotely the same but I guess defending this requires stupid comparisons.

It's just a little shit. Just eat it already? Just swallow the shit, it only even takes a second. You can't even taste it. Chase it with something and you wont even know its there. Takes like one second. Imagine caring about eating just a little shit. In 15 years people will be amazed that we actually didn't want to eat shit.

Such an insane post with the usual #othersWillTooBelieve bad faith argument.

You don’t have to accept it, how far is MS’s dick shoved inside your throat that this is the conclusion you came to?

Just say you don’t like it and you don’t want it and maybe step father Phil will do something about it.

Last edited:
I don't like the ad itself, but at the same time I find it to be a trivial inconvenience. I think the fact that it is MS advertising a major first party game on their platform makes this a bit easier to swallow. However, if 3rd party games start getting these ads that will feel a lot different.

I do have a bigger problem with the cursor being set to "Buy" by default though. I think that type of "nudging" behavior should be banned legally in all contexts, not just here.

digdug2

To be fair, it's been a slippery slope. Horse armor, shark cards, paying real world money to gain XP and levels, etc. We as consumers have shown these greedy fucks that we will spend our hard-earned money on just about anything. So why wouldn't these corporations take advantage of it and shove every single advertisement down our collective throats? If there's no push back, it will just keep getting more and more brazen and we will deserve every last bit of it.

Roxkis_ii

It's disrespectful that people even have to engage with ads to get to their dashboard that already has ads. Xbox could have sent a notification that the game released, and it would have provided the same awareness without the negative pr.

This isn't stopping with first party game announcements and it very obvious they are testing the waters for more. Just like they started with just a little ad on the dashboard, now it's a full screen interactive ad.

To be fair, it's been a slippery slope. Horse armor, shark cards, paying real world money to gain XP and levels, etc. We as consumers have shown these greedy fucks that we will spend our hard-earned money on just about anything. So why wouldn't these corporations take advantage of it and shove every single advertisement down our collective throats? If there's no push back, it will just keep getting more and more brazen and we will deserve every last bit of it.
Of course they will. Can you imagine how much money it would be worth to force 50 million people in the key age demo to prove to advertisers with a button input that they saw an ad for The Marvels with the release date and had to interact with the ad? These are more lucrative than TV ads.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remember, these people are defending and downplaying full screen interactive ads on your console.

Damn bro, I think we all got it when you said the same thing the first dozenth time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Well I just saw it, it was literally on the screen for half a second when I closed it.

Congratulations, you are now defending and downplaying it.

Last edited:
This issue keeps popping up, huh?

this is why the the first thing I did installing Windows was to run a bunch of scripts to disable/delete telemetry, windows defender-store, Xbox and Ads.

what is worse is that people defend this shit. is like they don't have any dignity or backbone.

Remember, these people are defending and downplaying full screen interactive ads on your console.

You sound like one of those Illuminati conspiracy theory wackos. Go outside, get some fresh air, talk to real human beings and stop embarrassing yourself by implying the world will end because we allowed an ad to play once on my console and I quit so fast out of it I didnt even see what it was offering. As Candice Owen said, life is hard, go get yourself a helmet and stop crying.

Three

I'm aware of the horse armor controversy, as I witnessed it in real time. Let me rephrase, are you implying that if MS never launched its microtransaction platform on the 360, that no one else would have taken their place as the first company to offer them?
No, but regardless of whoever might have done it if people had the decency to push back and not accept it so freely we wouldn't be where we are. The weird thing is had this been somebody like Google who had done ads we might have at least had some more pushback like we do with ads on completely free youtube, even MS made silly anti-google adverts making fun of Google advertising being bad. Now we have the MS corporate stans defending unsolicited adverts on bought hardware trying to make light of the situation once again and you have to wonder why, why would you defend this crap in its infancy? You literally gain nothing from it and it only becomes more and more an inconvenience.

Roxkis_ii

You sound like one of those Illuminati conspiracy theory wackos. Go outside, get some fresh air, talk to real human beings and stop embarrassing yourself by implying the world will end because we allowed an ad to play once on my console and I quit so fast out of it I didnt even see what it was offering. As Candice Owen said, life is hard, go get yourself a helmet and stop crying.
You really like posting in this thread a lot about how this isn't a big deal. Maybe you should take your own advise instead of trying to convince people a full screen interactive ad on their console boot up is something people shouldn't care about.

King Dazzar

Its not a conspiracy, when its actually happening. Xbox have made full screen forced interactive ads a reality. And once you get passed that. You then can enjoy 3 fulltime permanent, large rectangle home screen adverts.

No, but regardless of whoever might have done it if people had the decency to push back and not accept it so freely we wouldn't be where we are. The weird thing is had this been somebody like Google who had done ads we might have at least had some more pushback like we do with ads on completely free youtube, even MS made silly anti-google adverts making fun of Google advertising being bad. Now we have the MS corporate stans defending unsolicited adverts on bought hardware trying to make light of the situation once again and you have to wonder why, why would you defend this crap in its infancy? You literally gain nothing from it and it only becomes more and more an inconvenience.
The thing with Google and other forms of advertising, I at least can disable it via plug ins etc. Xbox console is locked and forced with no work arounds.

Top Bottom