• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So let me ask you this, do you like ads?

No one “likes” ads. You’re still confusing mocking people acting like this is the end of the world with being openly supportive or ok with ads. And you keep bolding and emphasizing “ full screen interactive ads “ or whatever… it’s a screen you can hit B and instantly escape without even reading. If this were a twitch type situation where you have to sit through four minutes of ads every 40 minutes or whatever, then the whining would be warranted.

And no, there’s absolutely no logical reason to assume this is a slippery slope and one day we’ll have blah blah blah. Unless someone can provide me a logical reason why MS would kill their brand by instituting some of the nonsense people have been speculating.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I'm aware of the horse armor controversy, as I witnessed it in real time. Let me rephrase, are you implying that if MS never launched its microtransaction platform on the 360, that no one else would have taken their place as the first company to offer them?

This is a common thing we see here, especially on GAF, about how Xbox users are to blame for things like MTX and pay to play online. But history has shown when other fanbases are presented with the same “problem”, they reacted the same way: with open arms and open wallets.

Latest iteration of this nonsense is Forza Motorsports versus GT7. Both are literally games as a service titles that launched without all of their planned content and in some aspects, launched poorly and incomplete. Yet when it comes to discussion on GAF, Xbox users are “part of the problem” for accepting games launched as a planned service but oh man hey did you see that new GT7 update coming soon? Hot damn can’t wait! I’m going to buy some credit pack MTX to get some of those cars but really it’s Forza and green rats that are the problem!

As someone else in the thread said, it’s best to just not listen to fanboys.

PaNaMa

Banned
If only I could opt to pay MS some kind of subscription fee, for a premium or ultimate service that provides direct access to GAMEs and PASSes over the ads.
That would be great, amirite? Until MS moves away from their everything is free for everyone model, I guess we're stuck with boot up ads.

Look - when I grab Iphone off the charger in the am, or turn on my TV, I expect one thing - to be taken to my home screen, or wherever I left off. I cannot imagine waking my phone up to a full screen advertisement from Apple prompting me to download an $80 app from their app store, as the actual first thing I see after putting my phone down before bed. If I power on my LG Oled after the kids go to sleep, imagine *before* the TV does anything else, LG fills the screen with an 65" ADVERTISEMENT for me to buy their new 2024 OLED TV, an advertisement I must first bypass before it will allow me access the football game, or console device, or whatever. You just don't do that shit. I love you Xbox, but gtfo with this shit.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

And no, there’s absolutely no logical reason to assume this is a slippery slope and one day we’ll have blah blah blah. Unless someone can provide me a logical reason why MS would kill their brand by instituting some of the nonsense people have been speculating.

It started off as just ads on the dashboard, and now their (I know you guys love this part), full screen interactive ads.

MS is already sliding down that slope you refuse to acknowledge.

Tell me, if this isn't a big deal, why do you care to even engage the people for whom it is?

If I see some people protesting something I don't care about, I go on about my day. What make you want to enegae?

Kilau

Gold Member
For all of you saying the negativity on this ad is only coming from butthurt PS fans...

Don't defend this crap just because it makes your favorite brand look bad, it's really pathetic.

StereoVsn

PlayStation fans are doing the exact same thing in the physical drive drm thread right now. Lesson being, don't listen to fanboys.
Yep, both situations suck yet we have stalwart defenders for these corporate shenanigans. I hope at least people are getting paid or something. Because otherwise …

Zheph

For all of you saying the negativity on this ad is only coming from butthurt PS fans...

Don't defend this crap just because it makes your favorite brand look bad, it's really pathetic.
its PS fans obviously just like the ones buying Starfield or Forza to complain, you didn't see the memo?

StereoVsn

If only I could opt to pay MS some kind of subscription fee, for a premium or ultimate service that provides direct access to GAMEs and PASSes over the ads.
That would be great, amirite? Until MS moves away from their everything is free for everyone model, I guess we're stuck with boot up ads.

Look - when I grab Iphone off the charger in the am, or turn on my TV, I expect one thing - to be taken to my home screen, or wherever I left off. I cannot imagine waking my phone up to a full screen advertisement from Apple prompting me to download an $80 app from their app store, as the actual first thing I see after putting my phone down before bed. If I power on my LG Oled after the kids go to sleep, imagine *before* the TV does anything else, LG fills the screen with an 65" ADVERTISEMENT for me to buy their new 2024 OLED TV, an advertisement I must first bypass before it will allow me access the football game, or console device, or whatever. You just don't do that shit. I love you Xbox, but gtfo with this shit.
Hold on your horses on TVs as I believe at least Samsung has started peddling full page ads in some territories.

But yeah, the whole practice is fucked up and people defending it are plain nuts to me.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
It started off as just ads on the dashboard, and now their (I know you guys love this part), full screen interactive ads.

MS is already sliding down that slope you refuse to acknowledge.

Tell me, if this isn't a big deal, why do you care to even engage the people for whom it is?

If I see some people protesting something I don't care about, I go on about my day. What make you want to enegae?

An ad on the screen you can hit B and instantly remove is not as bad as ads on the dashboard you can never remove. So you’re saying they’re improving? What a twist.

I engaged you because you quoted a reply I made to someone else. Let’s not confuse things here.

Hold on your horses on TVs as I believe at least Samsung has started peddling full page ads in some territories.

But yeah, the whole practice is fucked up and people defending it are plain nuts to me.
Vizio does it too.

The new Xbox UI is basically a copy of smart TVs. Ads on the front of the dashboard. Tons of paid suggestions in rows underneath. And occasionally a full page ad that locks your screen on start up. Ads, ads, ads.

Last edited:
To be fair it's only happened once, and our Xbox is our primary device in the living room so it's used a dozen times a day. So maybe it gets pushed only once?

I dunno. And I never saw one for Starfield or Forza at all. I honestly thought it was a glitch or I had clicked something on the controller before the TV came on.

StereoVsn

Vizio does it too.

The new Xbox UI is basically a copy of smart TVs. Ads on the front of the dashboard. Tons of paid suggestions in rows underneath. And occasionally a full page ad that locks your screen on start up. Ads, ads, ads.
Yeah, and I hate the whole thing. LG isn’t as bad but still has ton of ads if you go to their dashboard…which I avoid like a plague.

King Dazzar

Yep, TV's are a concern too. Thankfully on my Sony, Google Tv based OS. You can set/use the TV to fully bypass needing to use the home screen and any adverts. You absolutely have to be careful before you buy these days though.

twilo99

To be fair it's only happened once, and our Xbox is our primary device in the living room so it's used a dozen times a day. So maybe it gets pushed only once?

I dunno. And I never saw one for Starfield or Forza at all. I honestly thought it was a glitch or I had clicked something on the controller before the TV came on.

I’ve only seen the Forza one so far..

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They're not just going to market games. The dashboard already has ads for other products, including theatrical releases. They're doing that right now, on the home dashboard.

And I don't need any marketing for games. That's why I want to opt out.

I'm actually fine if they keep it as the default option for people. If 50% of people with GP didn't even try Starfield, they are pretty oblivious and that's fine. Shove an ad in their face. They wont even know there's an opt out in the options. But for me, that option needs to be there. I do not need that shit in my face ever, let alone on startup on the dashboard, where you have to exit it to even get to the base functionality of the console.

This would be an intrusive ad in the STORE. This is on the fucking dashboard. 1000% unacceptable.
And again, its one ad that you can back out of and you'll never see it again. Like, ever.... We can agree to disagree. I think this all is a HUGE overreaction. Drama for the sake of and such.....

recursive

Xbox needs to make the sales so they can afford all those gamepass subs for their employees.

Full screen ad on boot up is ridiculous. I don't like them on the dashboard either but at least they are mostly ignorable. I don't want to engage with xbox ads.

Gavon West

This issue keeps popping up, huh?

this is why the the first thing I did installing Windows was to run a bunch of scripts to disable/delete telemetry, windows defender-store, Xbox and Ads.

what is worse is that people defend this shit. is like they don't have any dignity or backbone.
NO ONE'S DEFENDING THE AD!!!! Jesus Christ....

What people are saying is that its such a non issue and its sooooooooo easy to back out of, it isnt worth the effort in creating a whole ass thread to bitch and complain about it. Take the one second (actually half a second) out of your life, back out of the ad and it never comes back. Done deal.

What people are saying is that its such a non issue and its sooooooooo easy to back out of, it isnt worth the effort in creating a whole ass thread to bitch and complain about it. Take the one second (actually half a second) out of your life, back out of the ad and it never comes back. Done deal.
My console I bought has gotten worse after this dashboard update. I used to have the ability to customize what is in the other tabs and what isn't. That just got removed, and in its place is a dozen rows of TV-like suggestions and many of them are sponsored, and you can't delete them. There are multiple ads on the front page too, while they shrink down the button to your library to a microscopic dot. And now this full screen bullshit which would be shockingly intrusive on a PHONE. Having this happen on my game console is not a small thing and it's not acceptable.

Gavon West

My console I bought has gotten worse after this dashboard update. I used to have the ability to customize what is in the other tabs and what isn't. That just got removed, and in its place is a dozen rows of TV-like suggestions and many of them are sponsored, and you can't delete them. There are multiple ads on the front page too, while they shrink down the button to your library to a microscopic dot. And now this full screen bullshit which would be shockingly intrusive on a PHONE. Having this happen on my game console is not a small thing and it's not acceptable.
I had to check. there's ONE AD on the home screen. Everything else is Xbox or Gamepass related and non intrusive. Hell, even the sponsored ad is non intrusive. I don't give a shit if Crusader Kings III was 99% off, let alone 50%, so I don't engage with it and ignore it. Not sure what else you're seeing there.

And you can still add tabs that you want on your home screen. Gamepass and Xbox related ads have ALWAYS been on the UI in some shape or another. The majority of whats on the home screen is your desired games and content. Scrolling down, there are other tabs also Gamepass movies and Xbox related but I never go down that far. Everything I need is on the home screen.

How exactly has your console gotten worse after the update? I'm curious.

Your reply is quite ironic.

Gavon West

Your reply is quite ironic.
Thats not a defense. Wait.....because I'm not demonizing Microsoft for putting a whole screen ad on my home console means I'm.......defending it?

Oh! So like, in your mind I'm all, like, "Microsoft please for the love of all that is holy, righteous and BBQ, please, PLEASE hit us with more full page ads! I don't care if it's organic cotton swabs. If you don't do another one and soon, I just don't think I could bare it!"

Last edited:
Jb9UddW.jpg

618KQsV.jpg

IT IS an Issue. It sucks and it's a detriment to the user experience..but everyone is doing it. So what do you do?

if you are against it:

1. You bitch on the internet. This creates negative PR.
2. Stop using those platform/services (basically impossible)

if you are platform/console warrior:

You shut your F mouth defending, Downplaying this bullshit. have a little dignity 😂🤣.

cireza

Jb9UddW.jpg

618KQsV.jpg

IT IS an Issue. It sucks and it's a detriment to the user experience..but everyone is doing it. So what do you do?

if you are against it:

You shut your F mouth defending, Downplaying this bullshit. have a little dignity 😂🤣.
It would have been deceptive if the "Buy Now" button was actually labelled "Skip this ad".

It would have been deceptive if the "Buy Now" button was actually labelled "Skip this ad".
you are right. this is not a dark patter. The "Buy Now" is not the default button because they dont want you to buy the game, instead they want you to choose "Exit" as a form of cognitive association of Call Of Duty = Exit.

So. they are in fact doing us a favor.

MarkMe2525

No, but regardless of whoever might have done it if people had the decency to push back and not accept it so freely we wouldn't be where we are. The weird thing is had this been somebody like Google who had done ads we might have at least had some more pushback like we do with ads on completely free youtube, even MS made silly anti-google adverts making fun of Google advertising being bad. Now we have the MS corporate stans defending unsolicited adverts on bought hardware trying to make light of the situation once again and you have to wonder why, why would you defend this crap in its infancy? You literally gain nothing from it and it only becomes more and more an inconvenience.
I'm not sure how this relates to my question to GHG, I have mentioned multiple times throughout this thread that I would prefer no ads. I also can reasonably hold the opinion that some are making a mountain over a molehill. Telling someone they are going overboard does not equal someone defending these practices. Calling out missinfo does not equal defending these practices. Challenging someone's assertion does not equal defending these practices.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

This is a common thing we see here, especially on GAF, about how Xbox users are to blame for things like MTX and pay to play online. But history has shown when other fanbases are presented with the same “problem”, they reacted the same way: with open arms and open wallets.

Latest iteration of this nonsense is Forza Motorsports versus GT7. Both are literally games as a service titles that launched without all of their planned content and in some aspects, launched poorly and incomplete. Yet when it comes to discussion on GAF, Xbox users are “part of the problem” for accepting games launched as a planned service but oh man hey did you see that new GT7 update coming soon? Hot damn can’t wait! I’m going to buy some credit pack MTX to get some of those cars but really it’s Forza and green rats that are the problem!

As someone else in the thread said, it’s best to just not listen to fanboys.
I remember reading about the future of micro transactions (in gaming magazines) before the 360 even launched. There were all kinds of ways being dreamed up to advertise to/monetize the gaming community.

To be fair, it's been a slippery slope. Horse armor, shark cards, paying real world money to gain XP and levels, etc. We as consumers have shown these greedy fucks that we will spend our hard-earned money on just about anything. So why wouldn't these corporations take advantage of it and shove every single advertisement down our collective throats? If there's no push back, it will just keep getting more and more brazen and we will deserve every last bit of it.
My comment above relates to the issue.

Last edited:
QUICK DRINK THE VERIFICATION CAN

For the record I'd be pissed if Steam did this it is not a fan boy thing.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

If a full screen interactive ad isn't enough to get people upset, I wonder how far Microsoft could take this before more people have an issue?

An ad between changing a setting?
An ad everytime someone pauses a game?
Having to do a jumping jack before the ad goes away which will take you to the buy page of the game? (can't remember if it was MS or Sony that patented that one).

At what point is it too much if this ain't too much already?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Thats not a defense. Wait.....because I'm not demonizing Microsoft for putting a whole screen ad on my home console means I'm.......defending it?

Oh! So like, in your mind I'm all, like, "Microsoft please for the love of all that is holy, righteous and BBQ, please, PLEASE hit us with more full page ads! I don't care if it's organic cotton swabs. If you don't do another one and soon, I just don't think I could bare it!"

Complete lack of self awareness.

Not complaining about the practice and complaining about those that are. Somehow this isn’t defending the practice?

If you don’t like the discussion just go back to your series s, if you don’t like your series s come back to the discussion.

digdug2

Its not a conspiracy, when its actually happening. Xbox have made full screen forced interactive ads a reality. And once you get passed that. You then can enjoy 3 fulltime permanent, large rectangle home screen adverts.

The thing with Google and other forms of advertising, I at least can disable it via plug ins etc. Xbox console is locked and forced with no work arounds.
It's still a conspiracy, it's just no longer a theory. That said, fuck these grubby executives and their insatiable greed for more and more money. I understand that nearly everyone is greedy at the end of the day, but, hey MS, you own the fucking world.

Gavon West

Jb9UddW.jpg

618KQsV.jpg

if you are against it:

Bro. All you're showing me here is that you really, REALLY have no excuse to be complaining about this ad. Damn. You all ready hip to the game! What's the problem Yoski?? Lol

Gavon West

If a full screen interactive ad isn't enough to get people upset, I wonder how far Microsoft could take this before more people have an issue?

An ad between changing a setting?
An ad everytime someone pauses a game?
Having to do a jumping jack before the ad goes away which will take you to the buy page of the game? (can't remember if it was MS or Sony that patented that one).

At what point is it too much if this ain't too much already?
I refuse to get upset about an ad I can back out of in a 3rd of a second. Not a chance. There are far, far more important things to be upset about. Holy shit ..

Gavon West

You don't have a line that Microsoft could cross before ads become a problem?
They haven't crossed that line in decades (like, ever...) Starfield had one, the ABK deal once it was finished and so did Forza. They aren't crossing that line. If an entire 30 second video ad popped up, I'd probably find that an annoyance. But this, wee, wittle, itsy, bitsy ad, not even. They won't go further then this on a home console. C'mon, man...

Anything other than this and they give you the option of watching it of your own accord by placing a tab on the screen. This whole debacle is a big, juicy nothing burger.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I thought it may have been a timed ad and if I waited a few days, it wouldn’t appear for me… nope! What a fucking disgrace you are Microsoft. You constantly shove game pass ads down my throat on your main page which I am ALWAYS asking to see less of (this don’t work) yet here we are, seeing a full screen ad asking If I wanna buy that shit? Fuck off Phil. My god, what a fall from grace since the mighty 360 days. I’ve held on thinking they could get back to that greatness yet they are so far removed its not funny.

King Dazzar

I refuse to get upset about an ad I can back out of in a 3rd of a second. Not a chance. There are far, far more important things to be upset about. Holy shit ..
For someone who refuses to get upset, you seem very passionate about telling others how they should or shouldn't react to unwanted advertising. You crack on though. As this thread will continue to grow and grow, highlighting the issue to everyone and all. i.e the very thing you feel doesn't warrant any reaction or discussion and want shut down, is getting even more discussion because of your passion for the topic.

Assuming you dont have a fullscreen ad blocking your view, do you not see the irony?
fr8cwyI.gif

Just a thought.

recursive

No one said you had to demonize Microsoft. You are getting extremely defensive about this for some reason.

Honestly, some people just have low tolerance to this kind of stuff for good reason and see it as a slippery slope with the boiled frog technique because that is what it is. There was a time when there were no ads on the dashboard, then their were ads for Doritos, Mountain Dew. Now there are full screen ads when you boot up your Xbox. Have some standards bud unless you like being the product.

NonPhixion

Just opt out of it dummies. You paid hundreds of dollars for a machine, you shouldn’t be forced to look at ads.

Oh there is no option to opt of ads on hardware you paid hundreds of dollars for? So some of you are ok with that? Maybe they’ll give you a “pay to remove ads” option. You’ll love that.

I'm in energy saving mode on m
Just booted up my xbox and did not get this
I have not got it either in the last couple of days. I'm running in energy saving mode and maybe that is the cure? I noticed the wifi actually starts up after the dashboard has been displayed so maybe that's why i don't see the shitty ad.

Gavon West

For someone who refuses to get upset, you seem very passionate about telling others how they should or shouldn't react to unwanted advertising. You crack on though. As this thread will continue to grow and grow, highlighting the issue to everyone and all. i.e the very thing you feel doesn't warrant any reaction or discussion and want shut down, is getting even more discussion because of your passion for the topic.

Assuming you dont have a fullscreen ad blocking your view, do you not see the irony?
fr8cwyI.gif

Just a thought.
I'm not even passionate about the topic. For me personally it's a non issue. I just find it bizarre to see so many having an issue with this. That said though; I understand what it's about. I'll just leave it there.

recursive

I like my standards right where they are pal. This happened once. You guys act like it's a daily occurrence, every hour of the week. Again, sounds like a bunch of drama queens. Ads are literally a part of life. It is what it is.... hopefully they'll change things around for you folks.
What? This is the third game they pulled this with. Ads are a part of life because of folks like you, just spreading the cheeks for max engagement. Do better with your standards bud. You sound like an evangelist. Praise be to Phil.

Top Bottom