• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

I once got a text message, and when I opened it I realized it was an advertisement from Verizon for some sale they were having. I threw my phone in the trash immediately. I have moved on to telepathy ever since. I recommend it, it's never been easier.
That's nothing. I was in my car the other day, listening to the radio and an advertisement sounded off after a song was over. Well, I couldn't stand for that so I ripped my $1700 JVC system out of there and chucked it on to the highway. #notinmycar

Last edited:

Three

That's nothing. I was in my car the other day, listening to the radio and an advertisement sounded off after a song was over. Well, I couldn't stand for that so I ripped my $1700 JVC system out of there and chucked it on to the highway. #notinmycar
Nice try but you were listening to "free" radio expecting ads. Your car didn't just blurt out an ad at you to buy motoroil, Dunlop tyres, or whatever when you turned your car on, or when you connected to your phone to listen to your own bought albums.

StereoVsn

ME??? Making a straw man argument? Lol. That's rich.

I mean, when it literally takes all of about one second to dismiss the ad, never to be seen again?

Some of you guys need to take a chill pill or sumthin. We all know this isn't about the ad. They've put plenty of ads just like this one on the UI before. No one said a word...
You keep saying one sec without addressing the bullshit around the ad. Anyway, good luck on your Xbox endeavors, hope Uncle Phil pays well.

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
Not exactly the same as this though.
Ha.
As a parent, I would say it's 1000 times worse.
One (the xbox) is a popup, that is not germane to the typical experience of using the system, and you click out of it and move on.
The other is disguised as already purchased and installed hardware, on the home menu where frequently used aps are located.
I mean, I'm 40, I'm married with a kid.
I get it. I "console warred" 2 decades ago for the PS3.
I've been there.
But you're lying to yourself if you think insidious advertising isn't happening on both platforms.

Rhazkul

Excellent. Can we have some Coca-Cola ads as well? Christmas is coming.
Maybe to get some free month of Game Pass after seeing 500 of them
zlmw9xv.gif
It will come. No doubts about that. You will have the option to buy a new console with a special discounted price if you opt in to sponsored ads. Maybe you pay 50 bucks less but you get a console with ads. People will buy this, guaranteed.
But as long as consoles without ads will be available too, whatever...more choices and options is always good.

laynelane

Not gonna read through 11 pages to see if it's been mentioned, but as a father, I can assure you playstation is doing the same shit.
I watched my son log in the other day and on his PS4 homescreen was a roblox icon, which I don't let him play, and he immediately started asking for.

I had the same issue but it turns out there's a setting to disable that.

MarkMe2525

My kid turned on my TV today to be exposed to this horrific ad pop up trying to get me to download the "Max" app. I immediately threw my bong through the screen (I almost hit my kid.) Now when my kid needs entertainment, I just light some dirty clothes on fire and make shadow puppets for her.

Ha.
As a parent, I would say it's 1000 times worse.
One (the xbox) is a popup, that is not germane to the typical experience of using the system, and you click out of it and move on.
The other is disguised as already purchased and installed hardware, on the home menu where frequently used aps are located.
I mean, I'm 40, I'm married with a kid.
I get it. I "console warred" 2 decades ago for the PS3.
I've been there.
But you're lying to yourself if you think insidious advertising isn't happening on both platforms.

How do you disable it on Xbox?

I just turned it off on my PS5.

"So what, they're just smalls ads on the dashboard."

"So what, it's just a fullscreen ad that you press B on to close." <----- you are here

"So what, you can just press B to close it after 5 seconds."

"So what, YouTube plays video ads all the time that you can skip."

"So what, it's just a short video that you only see once. A 30 second wait doesn't do any harm."

"Yeah, they're showing the ad each time I turn on my Xbox during launch week of Halo Brand New Cherry Flavour, but they're letting people know the game is available."

"Yeah, there's a lot of ads, but it's keeping the price of Game Pass down."

"Anyone else getting annoyed by all the constant ads?" <--- when the Stockholm Syndrome finally wears off
I don't know who actually watches YouTube in 2023 without an ad blocker. It's literally unbearable now. Google is trying to crack down on ad blockers too while jacking up the price of YouTube Premium. That's the future for the Xbros too. $100 billion spent on game company acquisitions over the last 5 years isn't going to make itself back.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
BS. They havent gone further in how many millenniums? And this isnt the first time: Starfield, Forza and the ABK deal....

Could have swore there was one after the E3 or whatever they called it presentation as well. This is the fourth or fifth time they’ve promoted games this way.

Is it just the ABK deal anger/bitterness? I’m not seeing why this blew up but the other times didn’t.

j0hnnix

I booted up few times since yesterday and never saw anything and I'm in the US.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Could have swore there was one after the E3 or whatever they called it presentation as well. This is the fourth or fifth time they’ve promoted games this way.

Is it just the ABK deal anger/bitterness? I’m not seeing why this blew up but the other times didn’t.
It's precisely why. A lot of people feel as if it's Microsoft pushing the ABK deal in their face - those who were not a fan of it and swore to Jesus, Zeus and Pookie-Ray that the deal wouldn't go through...

That ad suggests they "may" have been wrong? Iono, bro. Weird shit.... lol

MarkMe2525

"So what, they're just smalls ads on the dashboard."

"So what, it's just a fullscreen ad that you press B on to close." <----- you are here

"So what, you can just press B to close it after 5 seconds."

"So what, YouTube plays video ads all the time that you can skip."

"So what, it's just a short video that you only see once. A 30 second wait doesn't do any harm."

"Yeah, they're showing the ad each time I turn on my Xbox during launch week of Halo Brand New Cherry Flavour, but they're letting people know the game is available."

"Yeah, there's a lot of ads, but it's keeping the price of Game Pass down."

"Anyone else getting annoyed by all the constant ads?" <--- when the Stockholm Syndrome finally wears off

"Suited men kick in your door, tie you up, and pry your eyes open to watch 30 second gameplay trailers.

"Eventually, they kidnap your family. If you don't get your mandatory 5 minutes of ad-time in, little Timmy gets one in the dome.
Fixed it

Your not defending a Xbox game, feature or hardware. Your defending ads. Take that console war bs somewhere else.
Exactly. I'm defedning non intrusive ads compared to the other bullshit i have to deal with on the internet.
Im not talking about a fucking Xbox game, hardware or feature.

So who is the stupid person brining up console war bullshit in here?

Mr.ODST

Exactly. I'm defedning non intrusive ads compared to the other bullshit i have to deal with on the internet.
Im not talking about a fucking Xbox game, hardware or feature.

So who is the stupid person brining up console war bullshit in here?
Dont argue with him, he is too much of a sony shill to actually try and make sense with 😂

So to summarize the thread, a vocal minority of users are upset about full-screen ads for MW III on Xbox at startup because:

-Their kid could accidentally buy the game (even though there are robust parental control options to prevent this)

-The ad is intrusive (even though no one complained about the previous Microsoft ads for E3, Forza…or the PS5 full screen ads on startup for Spiderman 2 or CoD MWIII…)

-The full screen Microsoft ad is “different” than the PS5 full screen ads (even though it’s dismissed similarly by a button press and takes up the entire screen?)

Really? If you were upset about this ad now, you should have been upset when other things were advertised in a similar manner, regardless of the console, full stop.

It’s pretty hypocritical of people to start complaining NOW when Sony and Microsoft have done it for quite some time. The time to complain was…well…a couple of generations ago for Microsoft, and last gen for Sony.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So to summarize the thread, a vocal minority of users are upset about full-screen ads for MW III on Xbox at startup because:

-Their kid could accidentally buy the game (even though there are robust parental control options to prevent this)

-The ad is intrusive (even though no one complained about the previous Microsoft ads for E3, Forza…or the PS5 full screen ads on startup for Spiderman 2 or CoD MWIII…)

-The full screen Microsoft ad is “different” than the PS5 full screen ads (even though it’s dismissed similarly by a button press and takes up the entire screen?)

Really? If you were upset about this ad now, you should have been upset when other things were advertised in a similar manner, regardless of the console, full stop.

It’s pretty hypocritical of people to start complaining NOW when Sony and Microsoft have done it for quite some time. The time to complain was…well…a couple of generations ago for Microsoft, and last gen for Sony.
And this thread is at 11 pages

Pages

smirk drinking GIF

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

Wait, really? PS5 has the same thing? Wtf people 😆

There weren't 11 page threads when they did this with Starfield and Forza.

Huh I wasn't aware they were already doing this. I thought this was the first time this happened. I guess I'll do some research.

Edit:

"Microsoft, I get you're excited for this release, we are too, but don't do this. This intrusive popup came up while I was playing something else, and also crashed my game. I was already downloading Starfield in the background before this appeared."

Is this true though?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Huh I wasn't aware they were already doing this. I thought this was the first time this happened. I guess I'll do some research.

Edit:

"Microsoft, I get you're excited for this release, we are too, but don't do this. This intrusive popup came up while I was playing something else, and also crashed my game. I was already downloading Starfield in the background before this appeared."

Is this true though?
They did do these full screen ads for Forza and Starfield though I haven't gotten any of them but could be because I preordered those games

ManaByte

Gold Member
They did do these full screen ads for Forza and Starfield though I haven't gotten any of them but could be because I preordered those games
F52rIEgWkAApeOg

Is this true though?

100% BS.

Flutta

Banned

Dude cut the crap. You are one of the green rats of course you would say something like this. Let's face it you have a what's it called a "Protect MS At All Cost" shield that gets activated as soon as someone criticises your beloved 2T dollar company.

Ask Adam he got the details :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Dude cut the crap. You are one of the green rats of course you would say something like this. Let's face it you have a what's it called a "Protect MS At All Cost" shield that gets activated as soon as someone criticises your beloved 2T dollar company.

Ask Adam he got the details :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nervous Episode 7 GIF by Wrexham AFC

cool story bro but what does that have to do with what I said? We didn't see this many hurt feelings before.

Top Bottom