• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

I know what you all thought. "7 days, surely he isn't still pissed today."

charliemurphy-wrong.gif

elmos-acc

Dude it just popped up again.
How many times are they going to try to get me to download this trash?

"It is only once!"

I assume that by the end of the generation, there is a some kind of pop-up every time you turn on the console. Maybe not a blatant ad, but "Coming to GPU next week!" or "Subscribe for the newsletter and get a -10% coupon for the store!".

But honestly, it is not a bad thing. It's not like it makes you spend anymore money, right? And you are lucky to get the information about new releases and campaigns. And it takes a less than a second to close.

Ads are everywhere anyway, right? And by the way, your slippery slope arguments and conspiracy theories about clearly noticeable business strategies and patterns of Microsoft are just a form of concern trolling. And Sony does it too!

damidu

"It is only once!"

I assume that by the end of the generation, there is a some kind of pop-up every time you turn on the console. Maybe not a blatant ad, but "Coming to GPU next week!" or "Subscribe for the newsletter and get a -10% coupon for the store!".

But honestly, it is not a bad thing. It's not like it makes you spend anymore money, right? And you are lucky to get the information about new releases and campaigns. And it takes a less than a second to close.

Ads are everywhere anyway, right? And by the way, your slippery slope arguments and conspiracy theories about clearly noticeable business strategies and patterns of Microsoft are just a form of concern trolling. And Sony does it too!
they'll sell the next box, with that stupid 100gb cod hub pre-installed and youll have cultist zealots here twisting themselves to a pretzel trying to defend it, mark my words.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
That's complete garbage. Fuck that.

I was just coming around to dealing with this shitty UI change they did for the system. Ads like this are completely out of line. I don't care if you do that shit to casual gamers that don't know up from down, but there must be an opt out or I will be pissed. Same shit on my fucking Vizio TV now too.

The default option is buy now? So a fucking toddler can turn your console on and just hit A 3x and blow $100.
the switched antiqued UI don't look so bad now do it?

Krieger

Weird, didn't apologists make it clear this is a one time only thing? Guess now it's a two times only thing, next it becomes a three times only thing until they get this dumb ad and other ads every time they boot up their console.

Roxkis_ii

Xbox must have heard a lot people didn't get to experience their ground breaking full screen interactive ad the first round, so they sent it out to everyone a second time just to really drive home how little they think of their fan base.

People laugh when ever people talk about MS dropping the Xbox hardware, but you don't stuff like this with the expection of it helping grow your platform. Seems like something you do it when your trying to milk the few cows you still have on left the farm.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Just got another CoD full screen interactive ad. This time they've removed the Buy Now default selectable and swapped it with an Available Now button.

Cyberpunkd

Why stop at this? Put ads during loading screens, during respawn times, during the credits, during the lobby area, during the matchmaking process, during the pause menu...woop the shit out, go full force with that. Theres aways few dumbos saying they don't care anyway.
Think Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

Ben87fr

In the future this will be a 30 seconds unskipable video, booted the console this morning and this shit happened again, i love my series x but damn microsoft you're hard to love these days

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Weird, didn't apologists make it clear this is a one time only thing? Guess now it's a two times only thing, next it becomes a three times only thing until they get this dumb ad and other ads every time they boot up their console.

Weird, I remember those of us not throwing a fit about this trying to remind the rest of you that this was like the fourth or fifth time this has happened. One time only? Nah.

King Dazzar

I *still* haven't gotten the ad.
Download this image. Then wait until you've had a tough day and want to just relax with an Xbox game. Then open the image on your TV, ensuring that its full screen. Stair at it. Then close down the fullscreen image and proceed to enjoy your Xbox. That'll give you the "premium" Xbox experience. Enjoy!

Fh8Mr7t.jpg

Top Bottom