• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

I think Xbox One Pro would be polemic too. People definitely would say they're copying Sony, and probably even that they're trying to confuse consumers. But please, don't be Xbox One X!!!

Xbox One Elite wouldn't be bad in my opinion. Specially cause they already have the superior controller version of Xbox that is called Elite. It would marry well.

LED front panel that changes colors depending on the output. Yellow when in 4K and Blue when 4K 60fps

tumblr_n5hbwzUzJ01soc18mo1_500.gif

And even before that, there are Pro versions of Windows

Even Nintendo has the Pro controllers

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it be the Xbox One Pro. I mean shit look how close in design the two systems were at launch. It's not a stretch to have them be close in name. People aren't going to confuse the two because they both have Pro in their name. Besides Sony doesn't own the copyright on the term "Pro" to begin with outside of it being used in context of the PS4.

Just a correction.

Gears 4 uses variable horizontal resolution... it is not stable 1920x1080.

In 30fps modes it holds 90% of the time at 1920x1080 but in MP 60fps it drops most of time barely reaching the 1920x1080 image.

I should not use it as an example of 1080p 60fps game... it is more close to 900p 60fps game.

I know it uses dynamic resolution yes, but I never saw anything about being mostly 900p. Granted I only watched the DF video and he says there that only drops in a few instances but it doesn't give a hard number.

Um....

I mean the rear port layout is probably close/right as that is easy to guess but the power port I would think is what makes this possibly fake. Would hope for a C18 'kettle' outlet rather than 'figure 8' was used but then MS do tend to go lower with their power supply ratings than Sony/Nintendo.

Can't see a 24GB GGDR5/full 44CU and OLED equipped dev kit only have a max 250W PSU?

they wanted to make the Xbox One S and Xbox Scorpio to use the same cable
so you just have plug and play switch when upgrading

this was one major priority

Norse

I can live with Xbox One Pro. I'd much rather have them just call it the Xbox One Scorpio though. None of the other names sound very good at all. Good thing is we will all know soon.

nope. then people will think it only works on 4K tv's

Exactly

THE:MILKMAN

It's already been confirmed as a 245w internal PSU

Thanks. Completely missed this though I was AWOL for the whole of April recovering from surgery! Is there a link where they talk about this? I don't remember reading it in the DF article for example.

I know for most here it is boring but it fascinates me that Microsoft are always comfortable going lower on the PSU than Sony.

hanspampel said:
they wanted to make the Xbox One S and Xbox Scorpio to use the same cable so you just have plug and play switch when upgrading

this was one major priority

They really said it was a major priority? I'd only believe this was true if Microsoft didn't ship Scorpio with a power lead! (not going to happen).

That quote is referring to the CPU bump in Scorpio over what's in the Pro. While I don't agree with his comment, it still has nothing to do with closing any gap.
If you read back over the argument, the two factors are tightly bound. LukasTaves said that custom Scorpio tech would allow it to widen the paper CPU spec gap over PS4 Pro. I pointed out that, since functionally identical custom tech is in the current Xbox Ones, this is inherently also a claim that said tech closed the gap with PS4. Since it didn't, the idea that the same tech will have an effect in Scorpio is invalid.

KageMaru

If you read back over the argument, the two factors are tightly bound. LukasTaves said that custom Scorpio tech would allow it to widen the paper CPU spec gap over PS4 Pro. I pointed out that, since functionally identical custom tech is in the current Xbox Ones, this is inherently also a claim that said tech closed the gap with PS4. Since it didn't, the idea that the same tech will have an effect in Scorpio is invalid.

Ive been keeping up with the discussion just fine. I think where you're off is you're assuming that the customizations in both the XBO and Scorpio is identical.

Ive been keeping up with the discussion just fine. I think where you're off is you're assuming that the customizations in both the XBO and Scorpio is identical.

Even if some of them are, which they surely will be, you don't know how those same customizations will work when combined with improved/new hardware. I do think the big thing we're all overlooking is just how big a factor all the hardware emulator runs Microsoft did using existing games/engines are going to be.

If they planned things right, this thing will be a real beast.

Whether that premise is true or not doesn't affect the structure of the argument, so your prior objection isn't cogent.

But the premise happens to be true. Microsoft themselves have said that the command processor and attendant DX12 translation benefits are in all Xbox Ones.* They've additionally said that the Scorpio version has more potential for reprogramming, but they're not using that (yet). LukasTaves posited the audio block as another Scorpio assist, but Microsoft have explicitly said that all its functionality is present in prior Xbox Ones as well.

Everything we know, from the platform holder themselves, nullifies his claims.

*A programmable GPU command processor is in PS4 too, which may be relevant. It's an AMD feature.

Xbox One Prime - too similar to Amazon Prime
i still like it
Xbox One Pro - too similar to PS4 Pro, as well as super lazy and unoriginal
Xbox One X - too similar and confusing with Xbox One S and too many x's
Xbox One 4K - PR problems and folks would be confused on if it only does 4K
Xbox One Elite - there's already been an Xbox One called the elite
Xbox One Ultra - probably the best possible name if MS is not willing to keep it Scorpio
Xbox One Scorpio - perfection
pgRnB4x.gif

Xbox One Prime - too similar to Amazon Prime
i still like it
Xbox One Pro - too similar to PS4 Pro, as well as super lazy and unoriginal
Xbox One X - too similar and confusing with Xbox One S and too many x's
Xbox One 4K - PR problems and folks would be confused on if it only does 4K
Xbox One Elite - there's already been an Xbox One called the elite
Xbox One Ultra - probably the best possible name if MS is not willing to keep it Scorpio
Xbox One Scorpio - perfection
pgRnB4x.gif

What's shorthand for Xbox One Scorpio? They already have the XB1S. Honestly, while not a big deal, it's enough to force a PR guy to move on to a new name.

What's shorthand for Xbox One Scorpio? They already have the XB1S. Honestly, while not a big deal, it's enough to force a PR guy to move on to a new name.
I never thought about it to be honest. I mean, is it a requirement to have a shortened name? I feel like Scorpio is short enough it wouldn't be a problem, but I guess it could cause some confusion if people think it and the One S are the same thing. But people should be able to connect the dots when they go to the store and see a Scorpio for $100+ more than the One S.

EvB

Um....

I mean the rear port layout is probably close/right as that is easy to guess but the power port I would think is what makes this possibly fake. Would hope for a C18 'kettle' outlet rather than 'figure 8' was used but then MS do tend to go lower with their power supply ratings than Sony/Nintendo.

You don't need to guess it , as they have shown images of the motherboard

I'm still gunning for,

Xbox One,
tumblr_miyfsyUSLp1rxp34uo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

There's just so much they could do with it.

If I were in charge of naming the thing, this is honestly what I would go with. It jives with their marketing talk of "hardware without generations" and also serves as a play on their wacky numbering schemes.

It would also mean that their next console could be named the Xbox Infinity + 2. Also, holy shit would that last gif be a great play on Xbox Infinite having built-in Cortana support with mics and all. Let's go get jobs at Microsoft.

KageMaru

Whether that premise is true or not doesn't affect the structure of the argument, so your prior objection isn't cogent.

But the premise happens to be true. Microsoft themselves have said that the command processor and attendant DX12 translation benefits are in all Xbox Ones.* They've additionally said that the Scorpio version has more potential for reprogramming, but they're not using that (yet). LukasTaves posited the audio block as another Scorpio assist, but Microsoft have explicitly said that all its functionality is present in prior Xbox Ones as well.

*A programmable GPU command processor is in PS4 too, which may be relevant. It's an AMD feature.

How does it not effect the discussion?

Also you're wrong, MS has not said that all it's functionality is present in the prior Xbox one. The actual quote is:

Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future."

How does the quote above say that all the functionality is in the prior platforms?

Also of course the additional programmability isn't being used yet, the system isn't even out.

Space_nut

The dx12 chip in Scorpio has more capability than the one in og XB1 as said from MS. The chip is more advanced and handles dx12 extremely better.

It's like saying Switch has a gpu, my pc has a gpu, they're both the same!! /s

The dx12 chip in Scorpio has more capability than the one in og XB1 as said from MS. The chip is more advanced and handles dx12 extremely better.

It's like saying Switch has a gpu, my pc has a gpu, they're both the same!! /s

Well, without a doubt, Scorpio's GPU will definitely be able to make much better use of DX12 compared to the Xbox One's GPU.

Lady Gaia

I think you'd have trouble finding a quote from anyone at Microsoft saying Scorpio handles DX12 "extremely better." There's also no "DX12 chip", just that the command ingestion pipeline for the SoC has hardware support for translating a DX12 flavored command stream into native GPU instructions rather than doing the same thing at the driver layer. All of the direct quotes I remember seeing point out that they've added support for some additional commands but that the SDK didn't yet take advantage of those changes. That should give some clue of how high a priority they are. I expect they're some less frequently used commands that could have value in specific scenarios but they're not critical to hitting goals with titles currently shipping or in production for this year.

I never thought about it to be honest. I mean, is it a requirement to have a shortened name? I feel like Scorpio is short enough it wouldn't be a problem, but I guess it could cause some confusion if people think it and the One S are the same thing. But people should be able to connect the dots when they go to the store and see a Scorpio for $100+ more than the One S.

More than that, it is about making it easy for your fans to post about the console online. The reason Xbone took off was so easy to cast the XB1 as lame, over and over and over in thousands and thousands of posts.

I don't know if it's a big deal, but if execs are brainstorming ideas, I think the shorthand issue would be enough to move on to a new name.

I thin Xbox One Infinite might be the best answer overall. Then everyone will learn how to write ∞.

Actually, just Xbox Infinity might be best, as I still believe MS is trying to kick off the next gen secretly.

XB∞ Uh, we are going to need a better infinity symbol.

EagleEyes

But what about this?
This was an Elite bundle because it came with an Elite controller. Nowhere on the console itself does it say Elite. It simply says Xbox One console like the rest of them. Now the XB1 S is named Xbox One S console on the device itself. So they have not officially used the Elite name on a console this generation. Thats why I still think there is a good chance Scorpio could have the Elite name.

I think you'd have trouble finding a quote from anyone at Microsoft saying Scorpio handles DX12 "extremely better." There's also no "DX12 chip", just that the command ingestion pipeline for the SoC has hardware support for translating a DX12 flavored command stream into native GPU instructions rather than doing the same thing at the driver layer. All of the direct quotes I remember seeing point out that they've added support for some additional commands but that the SDK didn't yet take advantage of those changes. That should give some clue of how high a priority they are. I expect they're some less frequently used commands that could have value in specific scenarios but they're not critical to hitting goals with titles currently shipping or in production for this year.

At the very least Scorpio's GPU has Polaris tech inside it with other changes/customizations. It will absolutely be a much more capable DX12 card compared to a regular Xbox One/S.

For example, it's never really been clear that Xbox One supported all features listed below. I think conservative rasterization was one people seemed almost certain it wouldn't have.

Rasterizer Ordered Views
Conservative Rasterization
Volume Tiled Resources
Typed UAV Load

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8544/microsoft-details-direct3d-113-12-new-features

ethomaz

Banned
I know it uses dynamic resolution yes, but I never saw anything about being mostly 900p. Granted I only watched the DF video and he says there that only drops in a few instances but it doesn't give a hard number.
DF confirm what I said.

"While playing the campaign or engaging with the game's horde mode (both of which operates at 30 frames per second) you can expect to see full 1080p more than 94 per cent of the time. In competitive multiplayer mode, however, the frame-rate is bumped up to 60fps resulting in more noticeable drops in clarity as the action heats up."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-gears-of-war-4-face-off

What? We have the numbered iPad airs, minis, pro etc. They're not just called iPad. We have a new one now called that, but the next version won't just be called that. How would people know it's the newer one then?

People arent absolute idiots. Most people understand the concept of yearly revisions to an established product line.

Xbox (2017) is the only sensible name, and the best one to boot.

Space_nut

Having dx12 instructions on og XB1 using a good portion of CPU compared to nearly zero and all on gpu on Scorpio is a major upgrade no question about that

Matt

With all due respect, the bolded part is objectively wrong and gets to the heart of why people say your posts are negative. Scorpio is objectively a more powerful console than the Xbone, PS4, PS4Pro and Switch. This is a positive step forward. I know you will like to sit back and "keep it real" by using subjective words such a significant/huge/monster, but this is just looking for ways to downplay. To a small/great/somewhere in between point, it is objectively a positive step forward for console systems.

In most cases the things we discuss here on the forum have incomplete information and therefore their degree of accuracy has a wide window. In general your posts focus on the lower end of the window where others focus on the high end. This doesnt make you a fanboy or a "warrior", but it also doesnt make you a realist or stating "facts". A person can frame the exact same "fact" in either a positive light or a negative one. If its 68 degrees outside and sunny a person can say "Wow, can you believe this beautiful sunny day got all the way up to 68 degrees?!!?" or a pessimistic person could say "Wow, can you believe the temp only got up to 68 degrees, and the sun is freaking blinding out, I can barely see."

Both are stating "facts" but one is just a generally pessimistic view of what will actually happen. Same with your general view on what will actually come from MS.
You fundamentally misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that you can't hold a positive opinion on the Scorpio or it's specs. I hold a positive opinion on both of them.

What I was saying is that someone letting their imagination run wild about what those specs mean does nothing but distort the reality of the situation.

I'm excited about what Scorpio is, and I get attacked for not being excited about what it isn't. It's ridiculous.

eso76

I'm still gunning for,

Xbox One,
tumblr_miyfsyUSLp1rxp34uo1_500.gif

There's just so much they could do with it.

That would have worked back then when the infinite power of the cloud was Microsoft mantra and to tie in with Windows 8..
These days not so much.

Anyway. People here have been trying to predict names for Xbox consoles and Microsoft always proved everyone wrong, coming up with names that just couldn't be predicted because they just never made any sense.

They'll pick something equally meaningless and random this time.
Xbox 10 (it's one and zero and windows 10!)
Xbox one one
Xbox One point Two
Xbox 4000
Xbox 7
Xbox Pinocchio
Xbox xobX
Xbox 2020
Xbox Sagittarius

It's unpredictable.

But I do think they'll want to keep the One in the name, to make it clear it runs the same games.

This was an Elite bundle because it came with an Elite controller. Nowhere on the console itself does it say Elite. It simply says Xbox One console like the rest of them. Now the XB1 S is named Xbox One S console on the device itself. So they have not officially used the Elite name on a console this generation. Thats why I still think there is a good chance Scorpio could have the Elite name.

It was an Elite console too. It had an SSHD in it, which no other Xbox One console has had otherwise.

Nipo

If I were in charge of naming the thing, this is honestly what I would go with. It jives with their marketing talk of "hardware without generations" and also serves as a play on their wacky numbering schemes.

It would also mean that their next console could be named the Xbox Infinity + 2. Also, holy shit would that last gif be a great play on Xbox Infinite having built-in Cortana support with mics and all. Let's go get jobs at Microsoft.

LIke you said Infinity is a good name but where do you go with the next revision? It makes the next name a lot harder. I think the year is easiest if they are serious about regular upgrades.

Luckydog

You fundamentally misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that you can't hold a positive opinion on the Scorpio or it's specs. I hold a positive opinion on both of them.

What I was saying is that someone letting their imagination run wild about what those specs mean does nothing but distort the reality of the situation.

I'm excited about what Scorpio is, and I get attacked for not being excited about what it isn't.

Fair, but you specifically state that the specs are not something to be positive (or negative about). I would disagree and say the specs are better than whats existing in the console space. I believe that is an disputably positive thing for console gamers. Will it take us from Halo 2600 level graphics to Halo 5 graphics in a single step, probably not. But constantly harping on on posts that show a modicum of positivity is off putting to fans. By all means reign in the MisterXmedia-esq posts. But we don't need to constantly (if gently) push down on every post that shows anything but the least common denominator of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom