• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvB

Xbox One P

P for Premium, Pixels, Players

Xbox One P

1p

Xbox 1P games

BUT XBOX HAS NO 1P GAMES!±!!111 HAHAHA LOL
GAAS FTP!!!111

anyway.

I'd not seen this before, allegedly the back of the dev kit.
in-exclu-ls-le-dos-de-la-scorpio-devkit-1.jpg

Theorry

It would be a good way to get to number parity with PS. Then when Sony releases the PS5 they can release the XBOX 5.

Thats maybe oke. But calling it 4K when devs have the option to do what they want with res is just a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Just like Xbox 720 and then the 720p stuff happened.

jelly

I may have been blind this whole time but on Xbox.com, it does say 1TB hard drive so guess that is the baseline storage, no cheaper 500GB model.

So the PS4 Pro can punch above it's weight but Scorpio can't. Gotchya.
If you actually read what I wrote, you'll find that I said nothing of the kind. In fact, I pointed out the exact opposite: CBR does not allow Pro to "punch above its weight", because it has drawbacks and tradeoffs that balance out the higher resolution. This kind of selective tuning--without an overall rise in performance--is the best that novel technical features can usually do. (Also, it would be ridiculous to paint CBR as a Sony advantage. Scorpio will be perfectly capable of using it too. It just won't usually need to, since its's so much stronger.)

On a serious note, you're not telling us anything we don't already know. I still don't understand why you keep talking about closing this paper gap when no one said the gap was closing.
Actually, LukasTaves said precisely that:

[Scorpio] has a 9% higher clock, it may potentially offer more than 9% more performance....

THE:MILKMAN

anyway.

I'd not seen this before, allegedly the back of the dev kit.
in-exclu-ls-le-dos-de-la-scorpio-devkit-1.jpg

Um....

I mean the rear port layout is probably close/right as that is easy to guess but the power port I would think is what makes this possibly fake. Would hope for a C18 'kettle' outlet rather than 'figure 8' was used but then MS do tend to go lower with their power supply ratings than Sony/Nintendo.

Can't see a 24GB GGDR5/full 44CU and OLED equipped dev kit only have a max 250W PSU?

sangreal

Um....

I mean the rear port layout is probably close/right as that is easy to guess but the power port I would think is what makes this possibly fake. Would hope for a C18 'kettle' outlet rather than 'figure 8' was used but then MS do tend to go lower with their power supply ratings than Sony/Nintendo.

Can't see a 24GB GGDR5/full 44CU and OLED equipped dev kit only have a max 250W PSU?

they said it is identical to xbox one s which uses that type of cord

Izuna

Banned
Um....

You haven't been keeping up to date then. They specifically wanted this port for the power.

THE:MILKMAN

they said it is identical to xbox one s which uses that type of cord

Microsoft have said this? That the Scorpio will use a C8/figure PSU inlet (limited to a 250W PSU)?

Even Sony reverted to the kettle inlet for the Pro (310W PSU). It will probably be OK but it is pushing it a bit for me and is a bit cheap of Microsoft if they do this.

Izuna said:
You haven't been keeping up to date then. They specifically wanted this port for the power.

I did miss this then...I honestly didn't think it would be something that would be discussed never mind them stating it was something they specifically aimed for (which is weird to me!).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that they still need to support the regular xbox one. That, like it or not, complicates things.

plenty of original xbox one games run at 60 FPS and look great. I'm not saying the hardware is amazing but it's more than capable depending on what your priorities are.

Too much backlash. GAming community would eat that up.

Headline: Microsoft can't come up with original Idea for naming their next Xbox
Headline: Microsoft takes a page from Sony and names their new Xbox, Xbox Pro

Threads: Lol MS copies Sony. Announces Xbox Pro

you see the gist. .. Its how the World is today unfortunately.
Yeah i didnt see it that way lol so maybe xbox one elite

plenty of original xbox one games run at 60 FPS and look great. I'm not saying the hardware is amazing but it's more than capable depending on what your priorities are.

They run at 60, at what resolution? Yeah sure, anything can theoretically run at 60 on an xbox one, but a lot of other things will take a serious hit in the mean time.

The point i was making is, you cannot fully use the power of Scorpio without also having the option to make exclusive games for it. The fact that they cant make exclusives games on it will make them just bump resolutions, textures and thats about it. You wont see games running at 30 on regular and 60 on scorpio, i just dont see it happening.

They run at 60, at what resolution? Yeah sure, anything can theoretically run at 60 on an xbox one, but a lot of other things will take a serious hit in the mean time.

The point i was making is, you cannot fully use the power of Scorpio without also having the option to make exclusive games for it. The fact that they cant make exclusives games on it will make them just bump resolutions, textures and thats about it. You wont see games running at 30 on regular and 60 on scorpio, i just dont see it happening.

There are some 1080p60 games on xbone too.

With Forza, and Gears MP delivering 1080p60 I would even say the current best looking 1080p60 games are on xbone except for maybe Doom on Ps4, but even that doesn't deliver the absolute rock solid framerate those two games provide.

Kssio_Aug

As another user suggested, Xbox One X will be confusing alongside Xbox One S. Very similar pronnunciation.

I didn't like it. They could have came with something better if this is true. Xbox Scorpio >>> Xbox X (too many X).

Trup1aya

games don't have to be exclusive in order to utilize the full power of the scorpio. Being exclusive would provide the benefit of game systems that directly target the hardware. But without exclusives, they can still use the as much of the extra power they want to turn on effects that are off in the Xbox one version.

As another user suggested, Xbox One X will be confusing alongside Xbox One S. Very similar pronnunciation.

I didn't like it. They could have came with something better if this is true. Xbox Scorpio >>> Xbox X (too many X).

Unless they changed their minds recently, im pretty sure thats it.

games don't have to be exclusive in order to utilize the full power of the scorpio. Being exclusive would provide the benefit of game systems that directly target the hardware. But without exclusives, they can still use the as much of the extra power they want to turn on effects that are off in the Xbox one version.

Yeah, and you think anyone is actually going to do that other than maybe MS? They dont even do it for for Pro but theyll do it for MS? Come on.

edit: double post sorry

Introducing Xbox SS - The xbox goes Super Saiyan (and in offered in yellow!)

Yeah, and you think anyone is actually going to do that other than maybe MS? They dont even do it for for Pro but theyll do it for MS? Come on.

It all depends on how easy it is to implement for devs. Who knows how easy Sony makes for developers to support different assets and/or effects for Pro, since their expectations were for Pro to increase the resolution on those games and little else. I can also see some devs struggling for performance due the less than desirable bandwidth on Pro, increasing the resolution for 4k users and be done with it, while on scorpio that approach would give at least downsample globally.

Luckydog

That's the thing, the Scorpio's specs aren't something to be positive or negative about, they simply are what they are. So if someone says for example the CPU is the same as the Pro, then I will say no, it's not, it's stronger. But at the same time, statements that the Scorpio's CPU will be significantly stronger than it is are also inaccurate, and I will point that out.

That's not downplaying, that's being truthful. Just like me saying the idea that BFII will run at low settings on Scorpio is ridiculous. I'm not playing up the Scorpio, I'm stating a fact.

As for new MS IP, I am unhappy with MS's lack of commitment to a strong and deep first party lineup, and I have no reason now to think that is changing. If it does change however, I would be nothing but ecstatic.

With all due respect, the bolded part is objectively wrong and gets to the heart of why people say your posts are negative. Scorpio is objectively a more powerful console than the Xbone, PS4, PS4Pro and Switch. This is a positive step forward. I know you will like to sit back and "keep it real" by using subjective words such a significant/huge/monster, but this is just looking for ways to downplay. To a small/great/somewhere in between point, it is objectively a positive step forward for console systems.

In most cases the things we discuss here on the forum have incomplete information and therefore their degree of accuracy has a wide window. In general your posts focus on the lower end of the window where others focus on the high end. This doesnt make you a fanboy or a "warrior", but it also doesnt make you a realist or stating "facts". A person can frame the exact same "fact" in either a positive light or a negative one. If its 68 degrees outside and sunny a person can say "Wow, can you believe this beautiful sunny day got all the way up to 68 degrees?!!?" or a pessimistic person could say "Wow, can you believe the temp only got up to 68 degrees, and the sun is freaking blinding out, I can barely see."

Both are stating "facts" but one is just a generally pessimistic view of what will actually happen. Same with your general view on what will actually come from MS.

Trup1aya

Remains to be seen. I suspect developers will approach Scorpio and Pro differently since the approaches to engineering the two consoles are polar opposites.

We'll see.

KageMaru

If you actually read what I wrote, you'll find that I said nothing of the kind. In fact, I pointed out the exact opposite: CBR does not allow Pro to "punch above its weight", because it has drawbacks and tradeoffs that balance out the higher resolution. This kind of selective tuning--without an overall rise in performance--is the best that novel technical features can usually do. (Also, it would be ridiculous to paint CBR as a Sony advantage. Scorpio will be perfectly capable of using it too. It just won't usually need to, since its's so much stronger.)

Actually, LukasTaves said precisely that:

That quote is referring to the CPU bump in Scorpio over what's in the Pro. While I don't agree with his comment, it still has nothing to do with closing any gap.

rokkerkory

I can understand Matt wanting to stay objective, but this industry is driven by emotion as well. It's OK for people to get hyped as long as it's not over the top and diminishes other players or consoles, etc.

The turnaround from the under-powered xbox one and now giving gamers the most powerful console is quite something that gamers should be happy about, esp xbox one gamers that have been seen as the lesser of the two for the last 3 years.

ethomaz

Banned
There are some 1080p60 games on xbone too.

With Forza, and Gears MP delivering 1080p60 I would even say the current best looking 1080p60 games are on xbone except for maybe Doom on Ps4, but even that doesn't deliver the absolute rock solid framerate those two games provide.
Just a correction.

Gears 4 uses variable horizontal resolution... it is not stable 1920x1080.

In 30fps modes it holds 90% of the time at 1920x1080 but in MP 60fps it drops most of time barely reaching the 1920x1080 image.

I should not use it as an example of 1080p 60fps game... it is more close to 900p 60fps game.

EvB

Um....

It's already been confirmed as a 245w internal PSU

dude, different products..........

DO you hear people talking about their SURFACE when you go into a GAMING THREAD? nah homie. sit down, stay humble.

I think he means the fact that the tablets were introduced as Surface and Surface Pro, the Pro variant being the higher priced and spec'ed than the non Pro version.

EvB

I think he means the fact that the tablets were introduced as Surface and Surface Pro, the Pro variant being the higher priced and spec'ed than the non Pro version.

And even before that, there are Pro versions of Windows

Even Nintendo has the Pro controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom