• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

If it's supposed to turn a tidy profit by getting existing Xbox users to upgrade to a more expensive machine then it might be $449 or even $499. My predictions is still $399.

Marketing so far doesn't line up with such a product, unless you're from 2006 and called Sony.

Team $399 for sure. I believe Microsoft wants to have an impact here.

PC equivalent Scorpio. What do you guys think?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/link9933/saved/#view=phrf7P

The only way I can see this being less than $499, is that MS eats the costs. In my mind I'm thinking paying for Live can offset HW costs.That's even if money can be allocated like that.

This is a good example of why I can see it being 400. Add the fact that this is 6-7 months away and getting parts at a substantial price reduction .

Ricky_R

Marketing so far doesn't line up with such a product, unless you're from 2006 and called Sony.

I still don't think it will have much of an impact at $399, but it sure as hell will perform better than anything above that.

Fisty

Yep. I think they're talking it up to set the expectation for $499, but will hit $399 for the PR win. Honestly I'm not seeing a whole lot in the specs to suggest anything more than $399

link1201

I hope it's $399. I'd love to see this product do really really well. I can't wait to see Destiny 2 and Halo 6 on it.

The specs do not indicate a $399 price point makes sense. I've seen people claim this but not explain how or why.

Its jaguar and a RX 480 with 4 more CUs. Don't let the optimization, liquid cooled vapor chamber, or commercial-grade HVAC centrifugal fan talk fool you into thinking they're only going to make a 5 dollar profit on this thing at $499.

KageMaru

It's Jaguar and Polaris based. Simple enough.

Problem is it's not that simple. You have to look at the other components amd the size of the APU to get a better idea.

Common practice in tech world, same price give you 20-25% more power every 6 months.

Problem is that isn't really what's happening anymore. Major performance increases generally comes from process shrinks. There hasn't been one in the past year.

Sure they do. They do not indicate a $499+ price point in late 2017.

I'm happy to be wrong but the specs do indicate a $499 price point. Larger APU, more expensive cooling, more memory, 384-Bit interface, UHD player, etc.

It all adds up and I don't see them selling it for less than $449 with $499 being more likely.

Edit:

Its jaguar and a RX 480 with 4 more CUs. Don't let the optimization, liquid cooled vapor chamber, or commercial-grade HVAC cylindrical fan talk fool you into thinking they're only going to make a 5 dollar profit on this thing at $499.

We'll see. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Nameless

Yep. I think they're talking it up to set the expectation for $499, but will hit $399 for the PR win. Honestly I'm not seeing a whole lot in the specs to suggest anything more than $399

Yeah there very well could be a premium SKU with an Elite controller and beefier hard drive, but $399 makes the most sense, especially since it will likely be sitting next to a $349 Pro and $199 OG consoles(plus some attractive video cards) this holiday. Nice system but ~$600 after tax and a game is a lot to ask for what you're getting, even for the enthusiast crowd.

truth411

Good grief people Scorpio isn't going to be $399! Think of Scorpio as a Pro plus a 4k Blu-ray drive ($15), 4GB more ram ($30), 384 bit bus ($??), bigger APU w/GPU clocked at almost 1200mhz! So you have to cool the darn box to last longer than 6 months. It's cooling solution don't look or sound cheap. Expect $499 just like the XBone original price point but this time its worth it.
Jesus Christ People^^^
Also it's 14/16nm chips that make Pro and Scorpio possible.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
$499

They will not leave money on the table. Sell to the hard core, then lower the price. They are not going mass market with this console, they are going for PR power narrative. The funny part is the battle has moved on, the Scopio is a response to the PS4 vs XB1 power from two years ago, but now it's all about games.

MarveI

Would you guys be ok with a 399 price if it had no accessoires ?

It would be a killer price to drop it at E3 with *starting at* 399 that has no accessoires. It'd be great PR for them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I might see them pricing it at $499+ only because they know damn well they can get every single penny out of their hardcore userbase and might decide to do just that.

$499

They will not leave money on the table. Sell to the hard core, then lower the price. They are not going mass market with this console, they are going for PR power narrative. The funny part is the battle has moved on, the Scopio is a response to the PS4 vs XB1 power from two years ago, but now it's all about games.

Why in the hell would Microsoft not aim for mass market? Of course they are and always have. Do you really think Microsoft is ok spending billions to try to just be a niche player? How does that make any sense. They have always aimed for mass market and always will as does Nintendo, Sony and any large company.

MS sees this console as a way to take back the market mindshare.

MarveI

I might see them pricing it at $499+ only because they know damn well they can get every single penny out of their hardcore userbase and might decide to do just that.

True but if they go with 399 they can truly win over many more gamers imo.
That's a price even the casual gamer would be tempted to consider especially if they can sell it really well during E3.

At $499 they ONLY sell it to their hardcore user base, plus one or two stragglers. They aren't gaining anything by selling people an Xbox who already own one.

They want people to come in and buy multiplat software on this thing. That's more valuable in the long term than $50-100 upfront for the price of the console.

Why in the hell would Microsoft not aim for mass market? Of course they are and always have. Do you really think Microsoft is ok spending billions to try to just be a niche player? How does that make any sense. They have always aimed for mass market and always will as does Nintendo, Sony and any large company.

At $499 they ONLY sell it to their hardcore user base, plus one or two stragglers. They aren't gaining anything by selling people an Xbox who already own one.

They want people to come in and buy multiplat software on this thing. That's more valuable in the long term than $50-100 upfront for the price of the console.

This.

You $499 folks are underestimating Microsoft

KageMaru

$499

Funny part is people bringing up games in hardware discussions like it's relevant.

They aren't aiming for Mass market with Scorpio just like Sony wasn't with the Pro. The OG consoles are for the mass market, the same market where 1080p is good enough.

cilonen

Problem is it's not that simple. You have to look at the other components amd the size of the APU to get a better idea.

If AMD have managed to get Microsoft on the hook at premium pricing for a Jaguar and Polaris based APU then they're snake oil salesmen and someone at Microsoft needs to be fired.

I really don't understand how they could sell this at $399 without taking a loss. 12GB of RAM plus the cooling solution (not to mention GPU etc) will still be pretty damn expensive even by late 2017.

This.

You $499 folks are underestimating Microsoft

MS is marketing to get expectations up before E3 that it will cost $599 to get a huge PR win when it's announced at $399. MS is known for lying for marketing purposes. The parts do not warrant a price much higher than $399.

Zok310

Banned
$450-$499. No way MS not try to widen their profit margin on Scorpio considering its for a more dedicated player base that will likely give them $499 easily no arguments.

360mm^2 silicon die (GP104 in gtx 1070/1080 is 312, PS4 Pro is 232)
12GB of GDDR5 vs 8 in Pro or gtx1070
384 bit memory bus which complicates mainboard
Vapour Chamber cooling like gtx 780ti/980ti/1080ti
4k BR drive

If it hit's 400$ it will be at near zero profit or loss leader

KageMaru

If AMD have managed to get Microsoft on the hook at premium pricing for a Jaguar and Polaris based APU then they're snake oil salesmen and someone at Microsoft needs to be fired.

Yeah I think it's pretty clear you don't even care to understand why your posts are not making sense.

4k BR drive

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

They aren't aiming for Mass market with Scorpio just like Sony wasn't with the Pro.

Why is the PR approach so different then ?

Why waste so much on marketing fanfare if this is just supposed to cater to the most hardcore, who were going to buy it no matter what ?

cilonen

Yeah I think it's pretty clear you don't even care to understand why your posts are not making sense.

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I understand fine why you think all of the tweaks and the larger die make a difference. I simply don't given the age of the underlying architecture.

Fisty

4k BR drive

Yeah I know, but I don't think MS is in a market position to shoot much higher than break-even. The specs are in line with something I would expect a year after the Pro while staying in the same family.

Nameless

4k BR drive

I think part of waiting nearly a year and a half from announcement to release was precisely to bring costs down. Plus they aren't exactly paying off the shelf prices.

MarveI

Sell Scorpio at 499 to 1m potential gamers (while making a small profit per sold unit)

or

Sell Scorpio at 399 to 5m+ potential gamers (while taking a loss per sold unit)

If you have the opportunity to sell this to a lot more gamers who will buy your games, subscriptions then selling the console at a loss per unit is the way to go imo considering software income is where its at. Plus you win back a lot more gamers this way for your brand.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If Microsoft even tries to price this machine at $500.00+ they are extremely foolish and will readily be out of the console market by the time the next generation of consoles comes around. They don't have any exclusive content to push people towards the console and if their GFW initiative is all encompassing that will further lessen their consumer base.

PC Gamers likely won't go for it because the games will also be on PC and perform better there. PS gamers will be waiting for something that's defined as a next generational console with far better hardware than Scorpio. With the Scorpio being a stopgap measure and releasing Holiday 2017, that makes the introduction of another console very unlikely to counter PS5 unless it's some upgraded version.

They should've kept pace with the XB1 and waited to release Scorpio with enhanced hardware later but that's done now. Hopefully they learn from '06 Sony and don't release Scorpio for more than $400.00. The XB1 is performing as well as they hoped, why would a more expensive version with upgraded internals with no exclusive software fare any better?

Why waste so much on marketing fanfare if this is just supposed to cater to the most hardcore, who were going to buy it no matter what ?

What marketing has there been for the Scorpio? I mean Digital Foundry is a pretty niche site that only "hardcore" gamers would watch or know about.

All their messaging has been that this is not for everyone and it's an enthusiasts machine, I can kind of buy they are dropping hints that it's going to be expensive to then shock people with a lower price, but nothing currently suggest this will or should be $399.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Nobody buys stuff 'no matter what'. Price matters.

The audience for a 500+ dollar console when there's huge competition on shelves is not large.
I think Microsoft is aiming for the E3 PR win by talking up the specs and it being 'premium' all up until the day they announce actual pricing.
They'll announce it at 399USD and people by then will be conditioned to feel that it is exceptional value. It's a smart strategy.

I just think that on GAF, a lot of gamers realize that the components they used really aren't all that unconventional or bleeding-edge to warrant a price above 399USD. Like I said before, it's the Xbox One Pro with the hardware bump expected from a year's delay. I'm convinced they explicitly designed this thing with a fixed 399USD pricepoint in mind.

KageMaru

I don't think they did much of marketing at all. Everything has been pretty low key IMO because they know it won't appeal to the masses.

I understand fine why you think all of the tweaks and the larger die make a difference. I simply don't given the age of the underlying architecture.

But little has changed in terms of cost of the architecture. I'm sure yields have improved since the first RX 480 rolled off the line but it's still the same die size as last year.

scream

Judging by this thread and common sense, the consensus is 399.
Pretty good price for whats in the box, too bad my entire library is PS4 games.
I believe the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible so im not gonna jump ship.
For those who are already invested in all things Xbox, you're getting a big bang for the buck here, have fun.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nobody buys stuff 'no matter what'. Price matters.

The audience for a 500+ dollar console when there's huge competition on shelves is not large.
I think Microsoft is aiming for the E3 PR win by talking up the specs and it being 'premium' all up until the day they announce actual pricing.
They'll announce it at 399USD and people by then will be conditioned to feel that it is exceptional value. It's a smart strategy.

I just think that on GAF, a lot of gamers realize that the components they used really aren't all that unconventional or bleeding-edge to warrant a price above 399USD. Like I said before, it's the Xbox One Pro with the hardware bump expected from a year's delay. I'm convinced they explicitly designed this thing with a fixed 399USD pricepoint.
You and me both. They know what they gotta do this time around.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm starting to believe the $399 talk. At the end of the day, it's Jaguar and Polaris tech dressed up with clever marketing speak releasing at the tail end of 2017.

As a PS4 Pro and 4K TV owner, I'd strongly consider this at $399. At $499, it's probably a pass.

Spasm

Would you be content if they sweetened the deal with subscriptions to their services? Like a month of EA Access, Game Pass and Xbox Live? Would that make 450 or even 500 more ok?
I believe I am in their target demographic; existing users wanting an upgrade. As such, I already have all of this taken care of. It wouldn't really sway me that much.

Edit: A 'power user upgrade' package would be perfect for me. Includes the console and power cable only. Nothing else. Cheapest possible SKU.

cilonen

I don't think they did much of marketing at all. Everything has been pretty low key IMO because they know it won't appeal to the masses.

But little has changed in terms of cost of the architecture. I'm sure yields have improved since the first RX 480 rolled off the line but it's still the same die size as last year.

And the price of an RX480 has accordingly dropped throughout the year as it's become older technology.

499 with 449 being the lowest price point. I know Gaf says it will make more sense to launch it at 399 but Microsoft is not looking at GAF to make there business decisions. Hell I hope for 399 as well but I think it will be priced higher then that.

Fredrik

has anybody else started looking for XB1 versions for multiplats yet to prepare to get the console-definitive versions when Scorpio launches?

Awesome 1st party games needs to be shown but to me they definitely sold me on Scorpio from a multiplats perspective in the latest DF videos, unless it's all lies this will be my multiplat console for sure the rest of this generation, well until my PC setup gets upgraded of course. Hype +1!

Price really needs to be below €499 though... Seriously. This can not sell for €499. You hear me, MS?

Top Bottom