• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio Pricing Discussion

IMO, $399 is the sweet spot for a new console releases and if MS releases the XBox Premium at that price there will be a shift in the market. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen, Phil keeps referring to it as a "Premium" console which makes me think they will price it at $499 or god forbid more. The price point is so crucial for its success, I sure hope they get it right.

LB

What marketing has there been for the Scorpio? I mean Digital Foundry is a pretty niche site that only "hardcore" gamers would watch or know about.

All their messaging has been that this is not for everyone and it's an enthusiasts machine, I can kind of buy they are dropping hints that it's going to be expensive to then shock people with a lower price, but nothing currently suggest this will or should be $399.

A huge part of E3 from last year, probably this year as well. That thing's been formally announced a year in advance.

This is completely different from Sony. Just leaks and the most low-key reveal you can get.

Nobody buys stuff 'no matter what'. Price matters.

The audience for a 500+ dollar console when there's huge competition on shelves is not large.
I think Microsoft is aiming for the E3 PR win by talking up the specs and it being 'premium' all up until the day they announce actual pricing.
They'll announce it at 399USD and people by then will be conditioned to feel that it is exceptional value. It's a smart strategy.

I just think that on GAF, a lot of gamers realize that the components they used really aren't all that unconventional or bleeding-edge to warrant a price above 399USD. Like I said before, it's the Xbox One Pro with the hardware bump expected from a year's delay. I'm convinced they explicitly designed this thing with a fixed 399USD pricepoint in mind.

We're saying the same thing, at $499 it will only appeal to a tiny niche. $399 would be very smart and way more people would consider it.

I actually think it's a smart way of marketing it. If they market it right, ie this is the state of the art console, I can see a lot of owners who never owned a Xbox1 purchase one. Ultimately I believe they will set the price at $499 because it just seems reasonable. As much as I would like to see $399 and up the competition I find that rather unlikely. But even at $499 first timers will eat it up. Previous owners... I am not so sure at $499.

I'm going to say $449 with 1TB, $499 with 2TB. They need at least one SKU that is reasonably competitive price-wise with PS4 Pro( and that's not taking into account that Sony could drop the price, as many suspect will happen, and widen the gap further than it's likely to be).

Hoo-doo

Banned
No we're being realistic in what we know will add cost to this unit and how Microsoft won't want to lose money on it as the have with xbox hardware the majority of this gen.

At 499 the entire venture could likely end up being a big loss of money.

This isn't about making a short-term profit on <1m units sold while the casual market balks at your product.
This is about them expanding their hold over the market with a highly desirable product that's powerful yet affordable. They need to get rid of the image they've been cultivating these past two years or so, and a 499$ price will likely just be another PR fiasco in the making.

They want these consoles in people's homes. They want people to sign up to game pass and XBL. Hence why I think it'll be 399$ and why I feel the decision to go with Jaguar/Polaris was made. They'd be stupid not to.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
has anybody else started looking for XB1 versions for multiplats yet to prepare to get the console-definitive versions when Scorpio launches?

Awesome 1st party games needs to be shown but to me they definitely sold me on Scorpio from a multiplats perspective in the latest DF videos, unless it's all lies this will be my multiplat console for sure the rest of this generation, well until my PC setup gets upgraded of course. Hype +1!

Price really needs to be below €499 though... Seriously. This can not sell for €499. You hear me, MS?

Just made a post about this yesterday.

In some cases the same game on PSN cost more, no deals or discounts. Older games I haven't played yet or are gone (robbery 2 years ago).

I don't have a PS4 anymore or a PS4 Pro yet so I have some decisions to make.

Older game prices, the release date and price of the Scorpio will be the biggest factors, that and if the pro gets a price drop.

But yea, I've definitely been thinking about it. Just got an XBO S at Christmas.

Fredrik

IMO, $399 is the sweet spot for a new console releases and if MS releases the XBox Premium at that price there will be a shift in the market. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen, Phil keeps referring to it as a "Premium" console which makes me think they will price it at $499 or god forbid more. The price point is so crucial for its success, I sure hope they get it right.

LB
It would be their biggest mistake yet. Possibly worse than the always online DRM PR fiasco. I mean if Sony price drops PS4 Pro we might see a situation where Scorpio is $200 more expensive than PS4 Pro. Not good! Even with a power difference easily seen in multiplats it would be a horrible situation for MS.

Hawk269

I'm starting to believe the $399 talk. At the end of the day, it's Jaguar and Polaris tech dressed up with clever marketing speak releasing at the tail end of 2017.

As a PS4 Pro and 4K TV owner, I'd strongly consider this at $399. At $499, it's probably a pass.
huh. So I guess you think 12gb of very fast ram and cooling solution in what appears to be a compact design plus all the other things is free and given to MS by faires.

Rolf NB

Microsoft aren't walking in to Best Buy and picking this stuff up retail so I don't think that's much of an argument.
It is. You say die size doesn't matter because the architecture is old. RAM is an old architecture. Even older than Polaris. And you're still paying for die size.

Hoo-doo

Banned
huh. So I guess you think 12gb of very fast ram and cooling solution in what appears to be a compact design plus all the other things is free and given to MS by faires.

The RAM isn't as expensive as you're implying.

And if the cooling solution was the thing making or breaking a decent pricepoint, they'd have went with something else. The R&D for the cooling system was all done by the Surface team and has been available for a good while, it's not like they spent years designing it for the Xbox Scorpio exclusively.

Papacheeks

Banned
At 499 the entire venture could likely end up being a big loss of money.

This isn't about making a short-term profit on <1m units sold while the casual market balks at your product.
This is about them expanding their hold over the market with a highly desirable product that's powerful yet affordable. They need to get rid of the image they've been cultivating these past two years or so, and a 499$ price will likely just be another PR fiasco in the making.

They want these consoles in people's homes. They want people to sign up to game pass and XBL. Hence why I think it'll be 399$ and why I feel the decision to go with Jaguar/Polaris was made. They'd be stupid not to.

Well that goes against the narrative within the division about budgets getting super tight and it being looked over with a microscope.

Because I highly doubt they want to sell at a loss again since launch have been losing money in the division.

jadedm17

I'm expecting $499 too, but $399 would be a great win.

Yeah there very well could be a premium SKU with an Elite controller and beefier hard drive, but $399 makes the most sense, especially since it will likely be sitting next to a $349 Pro and $199 OG consoles(plus some attractive video cards) this holiday. Nice system but ~$600 after tax and a game is a lot to ask for what you're getting, even for the enthusiast crowd.

I like this sentiment.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well that goes against the narrative within the division about budgets getting super tight and it being looked over with a microscope.

Because I highly doubt they want to sell at a loss again since launch have been losing money in the division.

And that's why they went with Jaguar/Polaris. Even at 399 I don't believe they are looking at eating a loss per console sold. And they'll make it back on games and more importantly, services.

cilonen

It is. You say die size doesn't matter because the architecture is old. RAM is an old architecture. Even older than Polaris. And you're still paying for die size.

Not quite my position, I think size is a factor but it'll be outweighed by the age. I also don't think consumer ram prices will have a huge sway on what the cost to Microsoft will be.

It will have an effect, but my opinion is that those effects are minor enough that the box will cost $399.

If you can buy a similarly specced PC as a consumer with no volume discount and markup on every component for $550 as a poster earlier in the thread did, I think it'll be easy for Microsoft to get this to $399.

eXMomoj

$399

I'm willing to bet that Sony drops the price of the PS4 Pro to $349 around the time of Scorpio launch. If MS came in at $499 then a $150 price difference between the PS4 Pro and Scorpio would be pretty stark regardless of the power advantage.

Papacheeks

Banned
And that's why they went with Jaguar/Polaris. Even at 399 I don't believe they are looking at eating a loss per console sold. And they'll make it back on games and more importantly, services.

Did you actually pay attention to the specs? It's not 1:1 Polaris. It has 40 GPU compute units compared to Polaris 32. So it's custom built that costs money. Cpu though Jaguar is custom so new manufacturing. Add in custom cooling like u said from surface team which surface is crazy expensive to build and u do the math.

Kuni

I think it'll be $499.99/£449.99. I also think that price is too much for the mass market (will do ok in the much smaller enthusiast market)

Innolis

I'm guessing $499, it has a lot of customization on the chips and that cooling solution looks expensive. I don't think the extra RAM is going to be a huge factor though...

It would be a bold move to price it $399.

What I'm sure of is that DF is going to have their hands full next year making comparison videos between PC-PS4-PS4P-XONE-XONEscorpio.

MysteryM

Yeah, that guy is delusional. This thing is nowhere near that expensive.

I agree with your last few posts, it'll be about $399 max and won't break that. MS aren't stupid, the Xbox one is being outsold by the PS4 and they need this to pick things up. They may be selling it as pro, but they need take up on this thing to be mainstream to try and claw market share back.

Papacheeks

Banned
I agree with your last few posts, it'll be about $399 max and won't break that. MS aren't stupid, the Xbox one is being outsold by the PS4 and they need this to pick things up. They may be selling it as pro, but they need take up on this thing to be mainstream to trying and claw market share back.

That won't happen this gen straight up. They are just trying to get mindshare back for the brand/division for future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would guess it costs somewhere around $50 more than the PSPro to manufacture. It's a UHD drive (already in the XB1S), 4 CU's more silicon, and 4GB RAM. Plus higher build quality all round (already in both the XB1). Oh and a 'fancy' cooling system which sounds better than it is.

Those add up but aren't anything mega. Sony are no doubt in profit at $399 so yeah, $399 with maybe a small loss at launch. Then make some back with some $499 bundles (see XB1S launch SKU's).

Higher than $399 defeats the purpose of the system ie to "really move Xbox forward". (see Xbox reveal video!)

I would think they are able to launch at $399, but may choose to launch at $449/499 depending on what MS wants from this machine. Do they want a bump in sales or are they content with a lowish volume seller at a higher ASP and trying to win some 'high end' positioning which they'll try and leverage as they prepare for a next gen XB2 in a few years

J@hranimo

Banned
I feel it's gonna be $499.99 MSRP. Anything higher than that does not seem ideal at all. Then again, I'm not an expert on these things so have fun with the rest of the thread guys.

blakep267

What marketing has there been for the Scorpio? I mean Digital Foundry is a pretty niche site that only "hardcore" gamers would watch or know about.

All their messaging has been that this is not for everyone and it's an enthusiasts machine, I can kind of buy they are dropping hints that it's going to be expensive to then shock people with a lower price, but nothing currently suggest this will or should be $399.

eh IDK. after E3, I believe scorpio was the most visited IGN page. And its been steadily a conversation piece for a year. plus you mainstream outlets picking this stuff up. People know about it

I would think they are able to launch at $399, but may choose to launch at $449/499 depending on what MS wants from this machine. Do they want a bump in sales or are they content with a lowish volume seller at a higher ASP and trying to win some 'high end' positioning which they'll try and leverage as they prepare for a next gen XB2 in a few years

Maybe who knows, there's nothing wrong with $499 for what the proposition seems to be. But the Scorpio doesn't exist in a vacuum and they have to consider that.

Plus I would think MS want to use this to improve their position. It's not going to perform any miracles but it can do a bit of damage these next few years if positioned correctly.

My bullshit price breakdown

110 for the CPU/GPU
60 for the RAM
25 for the UHD drive
184 for everything else
9 for manufacturing

for a grand total of $388

marciocdb

Banned
Microsoft knows that if they announce it at USD 499 it'll be the same Xbox One / PS4 situation again (now with the Pro)... I'm not sure being more powerful will be enough to compensate that price difference to the customer...

Cyborg

I doubt it will cost 599. Its just to high, I would say with the specs we know it will be around 449/499

univbee

Does bigger die size really make that much cost difference?

Yeah it does. CPU's are manufactured by making a giant "wafer" of multiple CPU's, which is then broken down into individual units. These wafers are extraordinarily expensive to manufacture, but if your individual CPU size is reduced you can get substantially more CPU's out of a single wafer (and even small reductions in CPU size have huge impacts on this when you do the surface area math), lowering the per-CPU costs, also because the "edges" which aren't a complete CPU and therefore completely wasted represent less total area the smaller the CPU is.

Kz8LEtk.jpg

rKJZsp4.jpg

$399

I'm willing to bet that Sony drops the price of the PS4 Pro to $349 around the time of Scorpio launch. If MS came in at $499 then a $150 price difference between the PS4 Pro and Scorpio would be pretty stark regardless of the power advantage.

But why? Why would Sony lower the price unless the market demands it?

An Iphone 5S can't hold a candle to other phones in the same price range.

What Sony needs is big software releases. The scorpio is only a threat if the Ps4 turns into a barren wasteland, which clearly ain't happenning.

People really need to adjust expectations.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pricing it to compete with the PS4 Pro or price it to not lose a ton of money selling at a loss.

It's not gonna be 399. Cuz no matter what they price it at Sony could counter with a lower priced Pro.

Expect both orig consoles to get price cuts tho.

Or Sony to shock the world with a PS5 in 2018.

I think the ram argument makes sense. The last few years on pcpartpicker the ram prices skyrocketed. So much so all parts lists I had with 16GB I changed to 8. If that's the case for retail, wouldn't that be the case for a company buying ram for a product they're making?

univbee

But why? Why would Sony lower the price unless the market demands it?

An Iphone 5S can't hold a candle to other phones in the same price range.

What Sony needs is big software releases. The scorpio is only a threat if the Ps4 turns into a barren wasteland, which clearly ain't happenning.

People really need to adjust expectations.

The "big software releases" is the big challenge Microsoft has ahead of it. Are people already invested into their PS4's going to be interested in paying $399US or more for the performance boost to multiplats (which they'll now have to play with different people if they were playing with friends, unless all their friends do the same)? Will there be a big difference between a PS4 Pro and Scorpio for people who don't have 4K TV's? It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft has to say at E3, and other follow-up details (price especially, but also things like same games on PS4 Pro vs Scorpio vs $800-$900 PC), as that will answer a lot of questions about what their future prospects are looking like.

Sarobi

Banned

399 is the sweet spot, but I feel they will price it 499 and put emphasis on it being a "premium" product, or a "premium" version of the Xbox One.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe who knows, there's nothing wrong with $499 for what the proposition seems to be. But the Scorpio doesn't exist in a vacuum and they have to consider that.

Plus I would think MS want to use this to improve their position. It's not going to perform any miracles but it can do a bit of damage these next few years if positioned correctly.

But that's my point - MS wnt to improve their position but in what sense?

- marketshare? Then they need to hit $399
- mindshare? They could be fine with a higher price and trying to carve out ownership of the high end/premium space

DPtheGod

I am personally banking on a $499.

I think MS would be cutting it close at $399. Like, selling at a significant loss close.

J@hranimo

Banned
You guys do remember Microsoft is treating this as a "premium" console right? As in, it will be a higher price compared to the competition.

You guys do remember Microsoft is treating this as a "premium" console right? As in, it will be a higher price compared to the competition.

Yes, higher priced than their budget XB1S at ~$249. $399 is still +$150 over that.

Sony's Pro is their premium PS4 too.

But that's my point - MS wnt to improve their position but in what sense?

- marketshare? Then they need to hit $399
- mindshare? They could be fine with a higher price and trying to carve out ownership of the high end/premium space

I don't really see a premium market in console gaming TBH. The majority are price sensitive and that's the way it is. Both MS and Sony have been burned by 'high' prices in the past.

Of course there is always a niche market they could target who will pay. But that's a small number of people, majority of which already own the XB1 so it's not like their game sales would expand much. It seems a lot of effort in making a console just to cater to a few people when they could spread the net much further.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It's basically the only thing in volume chip manufacturing that makes a cost difference.

Yeah it does. CPU's are manufactured by making a giant "wafer" of multiple CPU's, which is then broken down into individual units. These wafers are extraordinarily expensive to manufacture, but if your individual CPU size is reduced you can get substantially more CPU's out of a single wafer (and even small reductions in CPU size have huge impacts on this when you do the surface area math), lowering the per-CPU costs, also because the "edges" which aren't a complete CPU and therefore completely wasted represent less total area the smaller the CPU is.

Kz8LEtk.jpg

rKJZsp4.jpg

hmm interesting, thanks.

And you are overestimating the position of the Xbox department within Microsoft. Subsidizing increases the cost.

Not really, this is not Xbox division 10 years ago. Xbox division today is highly integral part of the MS ONE strategy. Microsoft is losing ground on all fronts against Google and Apple. This is Essentially a Windows 10 gaming device. They WANT to sell as many as they can.

Top Bottom