• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it has some unique textures in the game

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't think it's up to them. We're not even sure if the Wii U can accept dual layer discs, and if it could, I'd think they'd have used it for this game already.

Wii U will only play Nintendo's proprietary 25 GB game disks.

The game is big enough that it almost needed 2 discs

Kudo

Just me or does that look like the van from MGS1 near the beginning of the game?

Hideo Kojima X Xenoblade, count me in.

Phazon

Hope NOA wakes up and use a 50GB BD disc for the game

Would make things worse, since the disc read speed of those discs are slower than the single layer 25GB ones (they could maybe place multiple copies of textures on that disc and optimize it that way, but still doubt it will be a lot better).

Diffense

The streamer had a physical version of the game and since the game isn't offcially out yet, the textures packs can't be downloaded online, imo.

I thought they said that the texture packs were available for download before the game was out? I vaguely remember a thread about that. It was done so that people who preordered the game could start playing on release day without waiting for several GBs to download.

Anyway, this game is quite clearly giving the Wii U all it can handle and then some.

I don't see the issue.

I mean, I do, but this is part of the industry now. And if they can keep load times down, I don't really care!

Wii U will only play Nintendo's proprietary 25 GB game disks.

The game is big enough that it almost needed 2 discs

I wouldn't be surprised if technically Wii U can play dual layer blurays but Nintendo don't want to use them for the reasons such as the one suggested by Phazon and not wanting any possibility of repleating the problems some original Wii's had with dual layer dvds

Chaos17

I thought they said that the texture packs were available for download before the game was out? I vaguely remember a thread about that. It was done so that people who preordered the game could start playing on release day without waiting for several GBs to download.

Anyway, this game is quite clearly giving the Wii U all it can handle and then some.

I just know that the streamers couldn't had access to them, yet.

Overside

Banned
OH MY GOD!!! I KNEW THE WII U COULDNT HANDLE THIS GAME11111 ITS JUST TWO WIIS DUCT TAPED TOGETHER1111!!!!

This even worse than capcom downgrading Dragons Dogma dark arisen for the 360!!!
img486xiuu1.jpg

Remember that guys! Remember that thread! Where we pointed out how dragons dogma DA was downgraded for the 360 with these textures!

Oh, there was no thread? Everybody already knew they just had to move the textures onto a different disc you had to install seperately to solve the problem, and it would be a really obnoxious shitty thing to do, to try and see if people who were unaware could be soured?

i really hope we dont get pop in and loading tectures problem. I really hate that.

Thats why Monolithsoft announced that they couldnt fit the entire streaming optimized game on one disc, and instead of making a 2 disc game, they had one 25Gb disc, with 10Gb of optional install packs, TO STOP THIS EXACT THING FROM HAPPENING, or the player can download a 32Gb digital copy.

But fucking hell. Everybody already fucking knows this. The only reason there is even a thread about this is because its a good looking upcoming Nintendo game.

jorgejjvr

This is one truck compared to the entirety of the game, which is 5 times bigger than xenoblade. This is probably the biggest RPG this generation

And we complain about the wheel of a truck

-.-

And as everyone has said, that's why there is a texture pack. And even if there wasn't, at least they focused on the right things in this game, game play > graphics always. And that's not to say that this game is not GORGEOUS, because it really is

Oh fuck, I already see people shitposting about 'lol Nintendo fans where are ur non-broken games at launch now huh' ... (not talking about 'gaf specifically though I wouldn't be surprised if some end up pulling that card). This is gonna end up on K*taku I wanna bet.

Don't see the problem with this since every game released these days require an install pretty much
I don't see the issue.

I mean, I do, but this is part of the industry now. And if they can keep load times down, I don't really care!
Hey, people need to complain about something I suppose.

But fucking hell. Everybody already fucking knows this. The only reason there is even a thread about this is because its a good looking upcoming Nintendo game.
Bingo.

Nanashrew

Banned
For those saying you'd need to download them all, you really don't. You can just download the basic pack, then you can choose any of the others and mix and match.

So I could download the basic pack which they state effects a large portion and improves the city and fields, and then download the player data pack for armor and weapons on my characters which also speeds up the city and equipment previews in shops.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm just wondering how effective those packs are.

Obviously they wouldn't bother if there wasn't some big enough improvements, but I'd love to see a comparison video.

Obviously they wouldn't bother if there wasn't some big enough improvements, but I'd love to see a comparison video.

I'm sure by the time it's eventually localised there'll be plenty of comparison vids from Japan

Overside

Banned

Then watch the tree house videos, and compare it to these 5 day early HK streamers who dont have the install packs.

RPGCrazied

Should have made it easier and just have an option to install the disc to an external drive. A lot of us have plenty of space on there. Then you wouldn't have to waste the bandwidth to download all these packs.

KarmaCow

Wait this is already out and still doesn't have a release date in the west? I've been kinda avoiding info about the game but I was expecting the release dates to be closer.

Nanashrew

Banned
Should have made it easier and just have an option to install the disc to an external drive. A lot of us have plenty of space on there. Then you wouldn't have to waste the bandwidth to download all these packs.

There is no room on the disc to have the textures formatted for install. The game quite literally filled up the disc to what it would allow and was almost a two disc game. They stuffed it with everything they possibly could. Even the digital version is a huge download.

It's not an elegant solution but still there for anyone who wants it.

Alex

The only thing I'm concerned with is having to queue up a bunch of files and wait for them to download off of the eShop. Based on my last few experiences with their shop I almost want to just deal with the pop in.

Not sure if Nintendo's version has the data packs installed (or if it's a digital copy) but check out the treehouse live footage if anyone is too worried.
It's direct feed footage so it's not suffering from a laggy stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMkczoRMTU
The only thing I'm concerned with is having to queue up a bunch of files and wait for them to download off of the eShop. Based on my last few experiences with their shop I almost want to just deal with the pop in.
You can check multiple files to download at the same time. If it's listed like DLC, at least.

I can't believe anyone(especially the OP with how he tried to soften the wording) believes the game would look like that without a reason.

Like most threads jumping the gun to get clicks though, it backfired.

It might be an inconvenience to some but everyone with a deluxe Wii U can get the most out of the game graphically, even if it means they have to delete some games.

In fact, it seems that one pack will take care of this "issue" so even those with a basic Wii U can rectify this.

Verendus

Banned
Knew this was gonna happen the instant I saw that screen. I know this post is gonna get ignored but I might as well put it here anyway.

Here are the data packs. Maybe you can add it to the OP to avoid any confusion.

Basic Data Pack (2 GB) – Effect: Large
A data pack containing terrain data that will allow faster loading while in the city and the game’s various fields. This data pack is required for other Data Packs to work.
Enemy Data Pack (2.7 GB) – Effect: Medium
Installs enemy data to the HDD, If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it further speed up load times while out in the field.
Player Data Pack (3.6 GB) – Effect: Medium
Will install data regarding the armor and graphics of the player. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up loading in the city and when equipping changes in the shops in New Los Angeles.
Doll Data Pack (1.7 GB) – Effect: Medium
Will install data regarding the Doll mechs. If the Basic Data Pack is also downloaded, it will speed up read times when Dolls appear. You will get faster loading times while in the city and in the fields.
My 8gb Wii U had a nice run.

Time for it to go in the closet, and for me to unpack the 32gb one. I knew there was a reason Godzilla gave me six of them. It was for this moment. It's like Batman prep time.

Hope NOA wakes up and use a 50GB BD disc for the game

A bigger disc doesn't suddenly make data stream faster. The issue here is that the game's got too much going on for the play experience to be seamless when loading only from the disc, hence the reason for offering install packs--one of the first Wii U games to recommend a hard drive install.

A bigger disc doesn't suddenly make data stream faster. The issue here is that the game's got too much going on for the play experience to be seamless when loading only from the disc, hence the reason for offering install packs--one of the first Wii U games to recommend a hard drive install.
The idea is that if the data was stored uncompressed, they might be able to do seamless loading off the disc.

But I'd have to say that seems like a pretty large assumption. Depending on how much they're trying to load at once, there's a good chance that even with all the hax in the world, you'd have to cut corners loading off the disc. Blurry textures until the real ones arrive is one such corner to cut...

Not sure if Nintendo's version has the data packs installed (or if it's a digital copy) but check out the treehouse live footage if anyone is too worried.
It's direct feed footage so it's not suffering from a laggy stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMkczoRMTU

You can check multiple files to download at the same time. If it's listed like DLC, at least.

Diffense in the other thread posted a vid from a you tuber showing new video of some gameplay. Noctilum area music very audible in this one.
No data pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZMXPK8M-g

hatchx

Banned
I doubt Zelda will be anywhere close to the size of XCX.

It may not be the same size, but I can see them having you install a portion of the game onto your console for texture streaming like what's being done with XCX.

By the time Zelda comes out in late 2016, it will have had just about the same amount of dev time as XCX (conjecture)

Woooow. This game always looked shit but this just takes the cake. Lord how is this ACCEPTABLE N64 games have better textures

Was reading this thread, and those were my exact thought, except for for the N64 part, it looks more like a PS2 game to me. I can spot many of those embarrassing textures in the trailers.

chadboban

Was reading this thread, and those were my exact thought, except for for the N64 part, it looks more like a PS2 game to me. I can spot many of those embarrassing textures in the trailers.

Yup, I remember my PS2 games looking just like this.

rnlmqw.gif

vpaluk.gif

fsxvdy.gif

It's uncanny really

I know this game can be a mixed bag, but calling it PS2 still is pushing it

KHlover

Banned

maxresdefault.jpg

Pack it in guys, Xenoblade X will never be abe to match these standards :/

rnlmqw.gif

vpaluk.gif

fsxvdy.gif

It's uncanny really

Please Nintendo give me more PS2 looking games.... Lol some people are in full troll mode with XenobladeX... The Jelly is too high ;)

rnlmqw.gif

vpaluk.gif

fsxvdy.gif

It's uncanny really

well i didn't mean it looks like a ps2 game game exactly, it just has features that remind me pf the ps2 era, like the character models, the lighting being fo flat, with out doing any dynamic shadows, the 2d grass every where, posting gifs is not gonna change that, you can make almost any game look good by posting gifs, in certain angles where it looks good. when i watch videos pop up and ugly textures are every where, and the animation, and clipping just border line look like shit.

well i didn't mean it looks like a ps2 game game exactly, it just has features that remind me pf the ps2 era, like the character models, the lighting being fo flat, with out doing any dynamic shadows, the 2d grass every where, posting gifs is not gonna change that, you can make almost any game look good by posting gifs, in certain angles where it looks good. when i watch videos pop up and ugly textures are every where, and the animation, and clipping just border line suck.

Characters aside, it's one of the most impressive looking games on any system, that's not very debatable.

Or I guess it is but the game is downright beautiful.

Top Bottom