• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X looks like it has some unique textures in the game

Nanashrew

Banned
Watching a Chinese stream right now on Douyu of Xenoblade X and he didn't have the same texture loading issue and he went by the same vehicles because it's on your way to a story event.

chadboban

No need to PM posters, ninjablade, when they are done talking about it.

He PM'ed you? Seriously? The only time I've PM'ed someone I was having a disagreement with was to apologize for probably coming off a little too strong and derailling a thread. We made up pretty good after that actually. It was kind of touching :)

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I wouldn't recommend that. I fucked up my Wii U by using a memory stick last year. Thank goodness Nintendo fixed it for free.

Really? How did that happen? I've been using a 16GB Kingston USB stick and have yet to encounter an issue.

Rpg+Mechas, science fiction setting, aliens, cool monsters, etc...
It's not just about the graphics at all.

Vemu2IQ.gif

q5LOpRm.gif

Vj3hK8c.gif

idhsgc.gif

the game looks cool, no doubt, if you're into rpg's, but to say a game with so many weak points in the graphics, looks impressive graphically no matter what console is hyperbole to the max, i mean just comparing gifs of rockstar lastgen games clearly look way more technically advanced when it comes to graphics, then when you bring ps4/XB1 into the mix it becomes laughable. X looks last gen graphically, and not even close to the best graphics of last gen. i understand people looking forward to the game but the game gets way to many undeserving praise graphically cause it's a wiiu exclusive.

Clefargle

the game looks cool, no doubt, if you're into rpg's, but to say a game with so many weak points in the graphics, looks impressive graphically no matter what console is hyperbole to the max, i mean just comparing gifs of rockstar lastgen games clearly look way more technically advanced when it comes to graphics, then when you bring ps4/XB1 into the mix it becomes laughable. X looks last gen graphically, and not even close to the best graphics of last gen. i understand people looking forward to the game but the game gets way to many undeserving praise graphically cause it's a wiiu exclusive.

Oh there you are, it wouldn't be a Gaf Wii U game thread without you.

Never occurs to these people that when some of us celebrate 'graphics' we mean visual design in aggregate, not the arms race of bleeding-edge lighting models in the abstract.

That sounds about right.

Doesn't really seem to be much value in arguing with people like that because there will never be any kind of agreement or common ground.

It gets praise because it is doing creative and clever things with imagery.

In this thread you posted a gif of an obviously fake highway with some obviously fake cars and trucks crashing into each other as graphically impressive. Perhaps that's impressive from a technical perspective. But there are actual cars crashing into actual trucks on youtube. Seeing it in a game doesn't impress me. Frankly, it bores me.

X is creating another world, and doing it with impressive fidelity for all that. That's what I want from gaming, not another unsuccessful attempt at photorealism.

I feel bad for the basic Wii U owners.

Why?
I have a 500GB HDD attached as most people with basic, which are a minority of Wii U users (although I don't know a single person without a HDD hooked up to their U, regardless of the internal space). Why would you feel bad? Anyone needs a HDD anyway if they want to download relevant data, be it the 8GB or the 32GB SKU.

Overside

Banned
What on earth are you talking about?

The concept of resource overhead, its something you need to be aware of before trying to make comparisons like.

As a base example Its a lot more demanding to render 100 square miles of open wilderness, than it is to render 2 guys and a wall. It would be a gaffe to try and directly compare the texture on that wall, with the textures found in the 100 square mile area, as the system can spend all its resources on that one wall, but with the other game, it has to texture 100 square miles, with the same amount of system resources.

Xenoblade X is 400 square km. Red Dead Redemption is only 32 Square Km. X has a much more demanding overhead.

Xenoblade X is a completely seamless experience during gameplay, the game streams everything, and doesnt stop to load. A lot of open world games on ps360 have lengthy load times that pop up with irritating frequency. Red dead was pretty good at this, except the dreaded boot load, and god damn multiplayer load. Skyrim was pretty bad.

Xenoblade X has a lot of unique geometry. Its really given it a signature appearence. Its also filled out with lots of alien trees and bushes and even small rendered rocks on the ground. For these things, you only have a handful of different models for, and then they are repeated to save resources, thats called instancing. However, Since a lot of large formations are unique, they cant be instanced, to save system resources. Games like RDR are heavily instanced, with not just repeating trees cacti and boulders, but entire hills, canyon walls and mountains are instanced as well. Having a less repetitive open world, over a larger area, requires a much higher resource overhead.

Open world games often have very bad problems with repeating textures, since they have to texture so much.

People who have strong pattern recognition will pick it up very fast in the foreground, seeing things like the same, maybe, scratch mark over and over again every foot. But everybody notices once it gets a bit further out. Its a very repetitive pattern, that gives a checkerboard effect.

04orjhvi_01.jpg

X put a whole lot of resources into avoiding repeating textures that create that checker board effect, no matter how far out the camera gets:
m2QBxq.gif

Thats a pretty huge resource overhead.

Speaking of cool things like the hopper cam leads into another subject on resource overhead, predictable culling.

Open world games tend to try and exploit predictable culling. They love things like buildings, because you can cull, or not render whats behind them to save resources, and the shapes of things like buildings are really easy to work with. Other popular things are forcing players through canyones or tunnels, or forcing them to go around things like mountains. Since these large objects are in the way, the system doesnt have to render whats behind them, and has ample time to stream the assets while the player is forced to go through or around.

They also tend to stay grounded, or have restrictions on when a player can fly. For example players use planes or helicopters to fly in gtav, which is really cool, except all of the sudden a freaking london fog rolls in, and you are flying at speeds outclassed by a paper airplane. These are restrictions, to help manage the resource overhead it requires to do these things.

Some games, like RdR, are completely dependant on the player NOT going places the game doesnt expect them to, like flying. However, if you are super cool like me, you found out a way to fly baby. The game... Was not designed to be seen from that angle, and the visuals break down and show their 'tricks'.

ehx1chJ.jpg

Looks like a wii game.

X, being designed from the ground up to be able to handle anything the player can do, and anywhere they can go, which is, well, everywhere, no invisible walls, no barriers, no being held back, spent a lot of resources making sure the games visuals dont break like that scene from rdr. The game must be prepared, at all times, to show everything. You can see other continents if you fly high enough in x. These are things that are seen from farther away, than the complete distance of a game like RdR's map from end to end. And you can fly straight there, at very high speeds, something that also requires resource overhead.

X has a much higher resource overhead, than games like rdr or skyrim, which is something you have to take into account when you try and compare games. Its not as simple as finding a texture that hasnt streamed in, from someone whos running the game without the installs to prevent that from happening.

Laconic

Banned
If haters want a legit reason to shit on this game, then they ought to focus on the truly repugnant shit, like bonus swimsuit outfits for 13 year old characters.

I just found out about that shit.

My hype is gone.

To fucking hell with that shit.

If haters want a legit reason to shit on this game, then they ought to focus on the truly repugnant shit, like bonus swimsuit outfits for 13 year old characters.

My hype is gone.

I forgot child can't wear swimsuit

Heng

My hype is gone.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but you do know that you aren't required to use those armors right? In the original Xenoblade, they also had similar armor to what you described and you usually had the option to choose other gears with similar stats. I don't see how it being in the game could ruin your enjoyment if you have the option not to use it.

My hype is gone.

It won't be a "bomus outfit", anyone can wear a swimsuit.

In fact, your whole party can wear swimsuits the whole game! (I don't think this is confirmed, but it will be true)

I wonder if there are mech swimsuits...

Hugstable

Banned
I'm not sure if you're serious, but you do know that you aren't required to use those armors right? In the original Xenoblade, they also had similar armor to what you described and you usually had the option to choose other gears with similar stats. I don't see how it being in the game could ruin your enjoyment if you have the option not to use it.

Isn't it just an effect of not wearing any armor?

I don't see how what you're talking about applies to GTA 5 in any way. The only one that I can possibly relate to is the speed of planes.

Other than that, it does just about everything you said. It never, ever stops to load. Everything is streamed in as you go as any modern, competent open world game would. Only Bethesda games are the ones I know of that still have areas that have to load.

There's a huge open countryside in GTA where I've never spotted anything even remotely close to that Skyrim screenshot, nor are there any areas where the player is "forced" into a closed off area to allow for streaming like you said. The only tunnels in the countryside can be driven or flown over quickly and the game doesn't struggle at all with that. I'm fairly sure with the immense teams that Rockstar has just to document the real life counterparts of its cities, plenty of samples of different things are taken to create unique textures and cut down on patterning, because I've never seen any ever in GTA 5. Nor are any assets instanced. Every single building in the game is unique, even the 7/11-like stores that you could probably just copy and paste around. The only things that are duplicated are the things that would make sense like trees, and even then dupes aren't used in close proximity to one another.

Height stuff being drawn in a comparison doesn't make sense either. One of the game's main mechanics even revolves around a similar function to the gif you posted, where the camera zooms out straight up into the sky and pans across however much of the map is between two characters. Planes and helis can go extremely high in the air, to the point where you can see the curvature of the earth and more stars become visible in the night sky. The entire time you're at the flight ceiling you can still look down and see the entire city, unless the weather prohibits you from doing so. If I want to look at what's behind every angle of a mountain instead of going around it, I just hover above it and the game streams it in fine. Everything is always rendered, just at a variable LOD like any game worth its salt would do.

In summary, the game isn't repetitive in any way at all, even on the old 360/PS3 version. Every single drop of power was squeezed from those consoles and it's extremely evident. It's not the best performing game on that generation of console but it's certainly the best looking, and it's a miracle that Rockstar even got it running above 20fps, even if only just. It's not just a case of "everything you can do I can do better", but everything you mentioned Xenoblade being impressive for doing can be countered by GTA doing the same thing almost 2 years ago.

Red Dead likely exploited the culling elements on purpose, not out of necessity. R*SD will have known from the start that the player can't fly, so they decided to use more tricks and make the world even bigger than they would have normally.

Overside

Banned

My hype is gone.

Isnt that an etrian oddyssey avatar?

He PM'ed you? Seriously? The only time I've PM'ed someone I was having a disagreement with was to apologize for probably coming off a little too strong and derailling a thread. We made up pretty good after that actually. It was kind of touching :)

It's no big deal but it came across really pointless and juvenile.

Make your point out here, don't follow people in private.

My hype is gone.

Swimsuits exist in real life and 13yo wears them.
Did you ever go to the beach?
Or are you guys so insane that you can't get a glimpse of a 13yo wearing swimsuit without thinking about sex?

casiopao

I thought u said u are going out from this thread lol.^_^

U just can't stop loving Wii U thread right?^_^

Mory Dunz

Swimsuits exist in real life and 13yo wears them.
Did you ever go to the beach?
Or are you guys so insane that you can't get a glimpse of a 13yo wearing swimsuit without thinking about sex?

Ehh....I think there's two spectrums here.

I don't think the outfitits, especially for Lyn if she's 13 are really appropiate. It's not only swimsuits. Each female character has a variety of...over the top outfits I would say. It shouldn't be defended.

On the other side, it wouldn't make me not play the game. That's extreme too. In Xeno 1, I didn't wear certain things if I didn't like it. It wasn't that huge of a deal.

So for this game, I'll be doing the same thing

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Meh I'm probably gonna pass on this game, my hype is deflated. Graphics are very underwhelming, I've only got about 12 gigs free on my 32gb Wii U and X would use up most of that. I have no desire to buy an external HDD just for this either.

Heng

Isn't it just an effect of not wearing any armor?
I'm not sure in X, but in the original, they had actual gear that's called swim suits that gives the effect of wearing nothing. This applies to the male characters as well.

Unless I'm misreading your post, then Nevermind lol.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm not sure in X, but in the original, they had actual gear that's called swim suits that gives the effect of wearing nothing. This applies to the male characters as well.

Unless I'm misreading your post, then Nevermind lol.

This is correct. It was often just lotion or sunblock or some sort of swim shoes which defaulted back to the slippers your character wore when they wore nothing.

I dunno what no gear looks like in X though, but we got this for the guys.
jwC6gPt.png

Since arms are customized separately, you can leave the sleeves on or attach other gear. I hope they have swim floaties.

I noticed there were two types for the girls in the Chinese stream and I wonder if there are more for both men and women.

Leiru

Apparently people are skipping xenoblade x the game cause of the graphics. XENOBLADE X like really? did no one learn anything from xenoblade chronicles?

My hype is gone.

It isn't a bonus item. You have to purchase it in a shop since it's a fking equipment and I think there's no specific character equipment so every character can use it. You don't like it? Don't buy it off the shop. Simple.

Apparently people are skipping xenoblade x the game cause of the graphics. XENOBLADE X like really? did no one learn anything from xenoblade chronicles?
The people that are trashing the game for the graphics, never had plans to buy the game... trust me.

MisterHero

Shhh Nintendo is putting lots and lots of technical effort into a game. Let's ignore it and complain about how they never do stuff like that

Top Bottom