• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Most Expensive and Rare Gaming Item

Boogiepop

I'm sure I have some at least moderately rare games, but hell if I know what's worth something nowadays.
I guess the little business card tin I got for being in the Luminous Arc 2 tournament Atlus held a while back is "rare," assuming they didn't end up giving them out through other means as well...

Photo0293.jpg

Kinda expensive when you think about it.

cj_iwakura

I have the last Sega Saturn game ever made in the US.

Also notable due to its publisher.

IMG_6427.jpg

Not as rare as it should be, but again, priceless to me.

Mine is the Umi disc, by the way. Hikaru's is supposedly the rarest.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This guy goes for $1600 in the most recent eBay auction of one. Not my photo of it, but I still have it at home.

4281373349_ac670ec198.jpg

Also worth about 1000-1500 bucks or so on eBay.
IMG_0174.jpg

These guys are in the 750 range and I have a couple sets:

4032938292_dd98a4abe5.jpg

I also have the Andrew Ryan statue element posted. A few other big Zelda statues from first4figures.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Probably my Silent Hill 3 copy signed by Akira Yamaoka.

eXistor

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I have sealed copies of Earthbound (Packaged guide and all) & Suikoden II, but that's about it.
But Earthbound was never sealed as far as I know.

Machine

I don't have any special collector's editions or anything fancy but I have a few games that have retained their value pretty well like Panzer Dragoon Saga, many PS1 RPGs like Suikoden II and the Lunar games, and several Dreamcast shmups like Under Defeat and Border Down.

B3kkU.jpg

Since this is GAF it doesn't particularly stand out, but I think it's pretty awesome. Signed by Brian Jarrard, community director.

I think the Mass Effect art book goes for a pretty high price nowadays, as well.

A brand-new, sealed copy of the limited edition Bayonetta Future Press guide. Bit of a story behind this...

I spent a few months looking for a used copy online at a reasonable price, and finally found one that was like new, $350 or best offer. I got it for $175. By the time it got to my hands, there were book-shaped dents on each side of the box, the page binding had already separated from the cover.

I successfully filed a claim with USPS, but my book was still destroyed (readable, but of only academic value). I emailed Future Press's support line, as I had already seen them respond to people whose books ended up in similar condition, and promptly got a response from them from no less than the managing director of the company. Amazingly, he overnighted me a brand-new replacement copy, at no cost. The man has won a customer for life.

eXistor said:
But Earthbound was never sealed as far as I know.
The sealed part was in reference to Suikoden II (I should have clarified that). Earthbound is unopened, however.

Oh yeah, it''s probably not worth much, but I do have a copy of TvC: Cross Generation of Heroes signed by Ryota Niitsuma along with a TvC: UaS poster signed by him as well. (Only a few of those were made, apparently.)
105_0403.jpg

ghibli99

Not much here, but they mean a lot to me:

Dragon Warrior I (NES, sealed)
DW1&2 + DW3 (GBC, mint complete)
Dragon Quest V (DS, sealed first run)
Dragon Warrior VII (PS1, sealed)

Chrono Trigger (SNES, mint complete)
Chrono Trigger (DS, first run w/ poster sealed)
Complete set of Chrono Trigger Formation Arts toys

I almost bought DQ4 and DQ5 w/ mint strat guides on eBay a couple months ago, but the bidding just got too ridiculous. Still wouldn't mind having those guides one day, but my chances are definitely running out.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just Suikoden II since I've sold my copies of VP and Tactics Ogre. I'd sell Suikoden II if there is ever a PSN release.....please....

eXistor

I have some stuff that goes for quite a lot on eBay, but really isn't that rare:

Games:

Earthbound complete and in mint condition
Chrono Trigger, mint
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Suikoden II
Terranigma sealed

Statues/figurines

Shadow of the Colossus First Colossus
Twilight Princess gold statue (Nintendo VIP)
Almost complete Mother 1 and 2 collection of UFO catcher figurines.

A lot of stuff that goes for about $50,- on eBay like Robotrek, several Lunar 1 and 2 iterations.

rbenchley

Probably either Panzer Dragoon Saga or Steel Battalion. I also own almost every single JRPG for the PSX, PS2, PS3, Saturn, Dreamcast and GameCube and a lot of those are worth a bit.

Prophane33

I used to own Suikoden II with the strategy guide, but I gave it away around 01 when I got my PS2, before I had realized how much it was going for on Ebay. (Sad, since I actually had Pre-ordered that game).

As far as gaming stuff I currently own...

Art of Final Fantasy XI book
Family Computer 1983-1994 book
Final Fantasy II Wonderswan Bundle (not that rare or expensive, I know)

Strictly talking about games, I don't have anything that rare or expensive; even when you count that I mainly play retro-imports and collect import strategy guides.

Virtual Pro Wrestling [cart only] (n64)
Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (n64)
Densha De Go! 64 (n64)
Dezaemon 64 (n64)
Gundam Wing: Endless Dual [cart only] (sfc)
Hoshi no Kirby: Super Deluxe (sfc)
Saga 2 [cart only] (not THAT rare/expensive)
Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact (DC)

Those being games that sell for a bit more than the usual import on their system, at least when I bought them.

If anyone sees anything that rare or expensive on my backloggery that I'm not aware of, feel free to let me know.

ghibli99

eXistor said:
Earthbound complete and in mint condition
I'd say that's pretty rare, right? Definitely on my list for something I'd eventually like to own, but for now, I'm gonna have to be content w/ my cart.

I still regularly kick myself for not going to the Kojima MGS 4 signing, right here in London. :/

Goddamnit me, it's not every day you get opportunities like that.

I have absolutely nothing rare or valuable that is related to gaming.

The only thing that came to mind was the signed Guild Wars 2 art book that I got at PAX...09? But they were doing hundreds of those and they probably did them at other events as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Factory Sealed Review copy of Dragon Warrior VII.

ghibli99 said:
I'd say that's pretty rare, right? Definitely on my list for something I'd eventually like to own, but for now, I'm gonna have to be content w/ my cart.

I think Valuable would be a better word. Earthbound isn't that rare (There are still several hundred thousand copies of it produced), it is just worth a lot since RPG fans tend to be hoarders.

thomaser

I have lots of other goodies too, but this is the only one I have a photo of.

The one thing I really wish I had: Earthbound CIB. I've never played an Earthbound/Mother-game.

Soroc

Don't know what its worth but I have this bad boy from when Nintendo World Store had reopened:

495929697847395e9cd2.th.jpg

Limited Edition Minish Cap Gold Gameboy SP signed by Miyamoto.

This signed Elite Choclodocus card and the deck of the Rare developer cards was given to the first 25 people to 100% Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise. I was one of them.
aXsi6.jpg
ffS9t.jpg

Not sure if they are worth that much but I have:

Secret of Mana (Snes)
Secret of Evermore (Snes)
Lufia 2 (Snes)
Terranigma (Snes)

FFVII + VIII + IX in original cases (PS1)

Shenmue 2 (DC)

I got this Megaman T-Shirt years ago in a GameCrazy promotion.
IMG_2757.png

IMG_2758.png

Unsure of rarity/value, though.

It's not rare and I don't know how valuable it is, but I have a sealed copy of Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

Unsure about rarity/value, but I also have a sealed copy of Spectrobes: Collectors Edition. It comes with the game as well as all of the cards and a mini player's guide.
IMG_2764.png

Used to have Steel Battalion...

But now I'd have to say the most Rare thing is a Pocketstation. Outside of that everything is pretty easy to find nor is it very expensive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shattyboombatty said:
I've got a pokemon snap station... must be rare, I can't find anything about it online!

http://pokemonfan18.wingsketcher.com/the_games/pokemon_snap/pokemon_snap_station.htm
I wonder just how rare it is. I mean, Nintendo had to of produced a few thousand of them, and there are likely several hundred that survived. Do you have any sticker paper with it?

Oh, that reminds me of something else that I have that is not to valuable but is rare, Kirby Wall Clings! The ones I have are the ones only given out to Toys R' Us.

Unsure about rarity/value, but I also have a sealed copy of Spectrobes: Collectors Edition. It comes with the game as well as all of the cards and a mini player's guide.
Pretty Common. Collectors Edition was hugely overproduced.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I don't know how rare it is, but remember when Gamestop offered those limited edition RE4 copies for Gamecube with the numbered cells? I do have one of those with the cell still in it's packaging.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jstevenson said:
This guy goes for $1600 in the most recent eBay auction of one. Not my photo of it, but I still have it at home.

4281373349_ac670ec198.jpg

absolutely one of the coolest game collectibles i've ever seen.

RyanDG

Not really game related, but it is somewhat...

I have an autographed copy of Sandman Dreamhunters with both Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano's signatures on them. Took me a long time to finally get that autographed.

I've done a lot to trim down my collection over the years, so probably the most valuable thing I have right now is just a plain copy of Suikoden II. Things I once owned include Panzer Dragoon Saga, a complete copy of Earthbound, a sealed copy of Suikoden II and the Mario RPG OST (which I sold for nearly $500). I also had a ton of games that fell into the fairly valuable range, like Burning Rangers and a complete copy of Dragon Warrior IV for the NES.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
beelzebozo said:

It's like 8 feet long too... and has the entire scroll from the beginning of the game. I always wondered how valuable they would be, the one that just went on eBay is the first I've seen for sale.

ghibli99

Drkirby said:
I think Valuable would be a better word. Earthbound isn't that rare (There are still several hundred thousand copies of it produced), it is just worth a lot since RPG fans tend to be hoarders.
Mint complete (which is actually mint or near-mint) is pretty tough to find, but you're right: maybe those folks aren't selling.

bengraven

beelzebozo said:

jstevenson said:
It's like 8 feet long too... and has the entire scroll from the beginning of the game. I always wondered how valuable they would be, the one that just went on eBay is the first I've seen for sale.

Agreed, holy fuck I can't believe that even exists.

Still love that intro so much, I wanted something like this for years. Way too out of my price range though.

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (aka Psychic Killer Taromaru) for the SEGA Saturn, goes for about £200 on ebay. Got a few other rare or expensive games too; Stellar Assault SS, Panorama Cotton, Snatcher, Astra Superstars, Dragon Force, Shining Force III (and the Premium Disc), Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Blast Wind, Battle Garegga, Border Down, Under Defeat, Kolibri, Gleylancer, etc. Plus, every Cave console release to date.

Top Bottom