• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most memorable Christmas present of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and I got the NES (with light gun and robot and all) in '89 I think. It was extra special because we got a lot of snow just as we were supposed to go back to school and got extra time off to play our new console!

RivalCore

My most memorable gift was a wooden crane my dad made me back in 1990. We were super poor back then but since I loved stuff that moved and did anything.

drspeedy

My memories aren't of the presents so much... I mean, I remember getting specific things- like a tape recorder and some rockin' Stomper tanks one year- but I remember the events around Christmas much more clearly than any certain gift I guess. My family had a huge Christmas Eve dinner with grandparents, cousins and aunts+uncles. Then Christmas morning we kids would get up at 5am (or before) and drag our parents in to open presents, followed by a huge breakfast, then my other grandparents and uncle would come over and we'd all head to another giant all-family meal at my great-grandmothers to spend all day eating and playing. We did that every one of the 18 years I lived at home...

Basically my most memorable present was the tradition. And I know I'll never be able to recreate that for my kids; my family and cousins are like me, we've moved all about the country for jobs and life... The 1-2 times a year we're together is typically in micro groups of 4-7 rather than 37... That can't match the buildup and excitement of those childhood memories, man. Truly are days gone by.

But since I mentioned it, Stompers rock!

83cat6.jpg

gamegear_tv.jpg

Fucken Game Gear
You can watch motherfucken TV on it holy fuck

It took like 8 damn batteries and lasted about 30 minutes (had to keep it plugged into the AC or DC) but color portable genesis games fuck yah

Playstation 2. I remember going all around town looking for somewhere still offering pre-orders. Found one but it wasn't guaranteed before Christmas. On Christmas morning my parents gave me a cheque for the price of a PS2 and said they couldn't get one in time for Christmas. But they were lying, it was hidden in the kitchen :) I think I got Smugglers Run and SSX. Loved both.

Voltron_Toy.jpg

Voltron back in '84. After a little research I knew my parents got me the black lion. I cried for what seemed like hours after I opened the package to see the whole set.

Xun

This.

Woke up, went under the tree, unwrapped the gifts and there were five N64 games, but no N64. Then the family packed up and went to my grandmothers house, where I got another N64 game. My uncle stopped by later empty handed and said that N64's were sold out the past few weeks and that maybe he could get one for my birthday later. So my family strung me along with that story for about an hour or two 'til they revealed they bought it a few months earlier, and was hiding in a closet the whole time.

Huh, I just realized I'm sitting in the exact same place I was when I hooked up that N64 for the first time. Weird.
My parents did stuff like this, but it was instead something more like this "Wait, you can't play PS2 games on a PS1? Whoops, guess we'll have to take the games back".

As for most memorable Christmas present, I'm not really sure. I've forgotten a lot from my life. :(

DarkFlow

Banned
My Snes. It was the last thing I got, my mom had hid it behind the tree. Soon as I saw the box, I knew what it was since not much else came in the long ass box that came in then. The next best gift was the full size ghostbusters fire house, that thing was sweet. I could park ecto-1 in there and have my guys spin down the fire pole.

kj8m6.png

Getting Ocarina of Time from my parents who didn't know the first thing about video games. The packaging revealed it was different than other n64 games and my brother and I played several hours everyday for a month before completing it, loving every second and making for the fondest best Christmas gift memory :)

When my brothers and I got a ps2pretty much brand new when it released, we flipped out shit sideways and inside out. Grab turismo 3 a spec bundle. That shit was intense.

For personal gifts, Pokemon red. I was so excited I fucking ripped the box in half trying to get to it. I still have the box, I let it serve as a reminder of what happiness looks like.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Has to be the ps2, the right age where I was super excited for Xmas, new console just released, loads of teasing from the parents that it was too expensive and two brothers just a bit older so we could all enjoy it. Perfect.

Red UFO

N64 was definitely a big one, there's a photo of me thrusting it above my head.

I think the most memorable was Majora's Mask. I'm an only child so I spent a lot of time playing video games, and I always liked games which made me feel like part of their "world." Naturally, Ocarina of Time was my favourite game because of this. When I saw a magazine at the super market with this:
200px-MM_Art.jpg

artwork on the cover with "ZELDA" as the only text I went fucking mental. I had to wait a year, but every magazine that had anything to do with this game was scoured over for the month till the next one.

Every Christmas I never really have any trouble getting to sleep, but this year was different. I was 100% awake, and I couldn't just lay in bed knowing that game was downstairs. I waited until about 4AM, snuck around the house and changed every single clock to 7AM (it doesn't get light until a bit later than that in the UK at winter). Burst into my mum and dads room all excited and convinced them it was time to get up. I feverishly opened the game and let out a yelp when I saw it. I ran upstairs and slammed that shit in. Game blew me away, all these characters, such a rich world, it was everything I loved about video games packed into one game.

GI Joe mobile command center

trumcc-8.jpg

And my cousin got the Cobra Terrordrome simultaneously

CobraTerrordromenew1.jpg

Nothing came close to that again. Brilliant co-ordination by my mom and aunt considering we didn't even ask for these, our minds were absolutely blown

YUP..I got both of those too.
The more memorable one, for me, was this monster...

j3xJP.jpg

Never got the aircraft carrier though...that was the white pony of GI Joe junk.

I got most of my consoles for my birthday, but one of the most memorable Christmas gift was a transforming Shredder toy. Managed to even find it after all these years...
He might have had a rubber sword or two, but those are probably lost forever.

461025_473197259388706_67198103_o.jpg

Gameboy415

My most memorable gift would have to be my Super Nintendo, but that was for my Birthday.
My mom had taped a piece of paper over the box that said "Super Duper Nintendo" - one of her corny jokes from the time. :)

My most memorable Christmas present is probably my Dreamcast in 1999.
I remember hooking it up to my parent's ~50 inch TV and being absolutely blown away by Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur!

(on a side note, that was the same day I learned the big living room TV had an S-Video input after YEARS of using only RF & composite, haha)

Fladam

Despite all the consoles over the years, I remember my first PC most.

I even more vividly remember opening a printer cable on Christmas morning before I opened up the PC and freaked the hell out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got most of my consoles for my birthday, but one of the most memorable Christmas gift was a transforming Shredder toy. Managed to even find it after all these years...
He might have had a rubber sword or two, but those are probably lost forever.

http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/461025_473197259388706_67198103_o.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I had a few of this line, including Shredder. Awesome toys.

As for mine : Overlord!!

[IMG]http://tfsource.com/public_img/reduced-image_3646_106.jpg

G1_overlord_toy.jpg

What a giant. Played with him for days on end

bananas

Banned
All the Christmases I received a console.

In 1997 I got a PlayStation.

In 2001 I got a PS2 and Jak and Daxter.

In 2002 I got a Gamecube and Super Mario Sunshine

In 2004 I got an Xbox with Live and Halo 2.

In 2006 I got a Wii and Twilight Princess.

Over all, I'd probably say the one I was most excited for was the PS2. It was pretty awesome. I was 10 at the time.

Nintendo 64 was sold out everywhere.

Christmas day I opened up Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the N64 and before I could get excited my parents said "when we can find a N64!! :)" So we kept opening presents and when everything was all said and done they pulled out one more gift that was behind the couch, I opened my N64 and was so happy. They also had Mario 64 with it I think.

My mom told me that she got the call on Christmas Eve at like 5pm and went to pick it up on our way to our aunt's house.

Jarlaxle

Mine as well. I remember seeing the shape of the box and I just knew what it was before opening it. I literally yelled, "I want my Nintendo!" and tore the wrapping off. I really wasn't that far off from the N64 kid. It just happened more than a decade beforehand.

Definitely my Super Nintendo. I had done nothing but beg for the system for months prior to Christmas, studying every page of Nintendo Power to see what games were available. On Christmas morning me and my sister scoured the gifts looking for a box that would match the shape. No luck...we opened all our gifts and I said thank you, but I'm sure I had that disappointed kid look. We cleaned up all the wrapping paper and finally my parents told me and my sister to look under the couch. Of course, there was the wrapped Super Nintendo with Mario Kart. Did nothing that day but play SMW and Mario Kart with the family. Was really great.

DJ_Lae

I was going to say my SNES, as I was so goddamn stoked and it was Christmas at my cousins' house so we all took turns marathoning that game on Christmas day, with a slight bout of frustration getting through the Forest of Illusion.

But then I remembered this.

iYP2OLGBoC0aB.jpg

I was the N64 kid with that ship.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In high-school I spent several years building a specific deck of Magic: the Gathering cards. My senior year of school I lost it somewhere or another, and I was really bummed out, because it was my favorite deck and I'd spent a fair amount of money on it.

Two years ago for Christmas my brother bought most of the cards from the deck, along with sleeves, and a deck box, put it all together and gave it to me.

I must have been a bit of a geeky child I remember one year wanting and gettig a globe for my room and another year really wanting a big Dorleen Kindersley encyclopaedia (that's like Wikipedia in book form for you young uns)

When I was a bit older I got an n64 but we waited till the day after to get it thinking they would have had bundles in the sales but there was none. I got it with Turok and xtreme g in the end then bought Lylat Wars with the rumble pack for some ridiculous price

Rich!

1997, 8 years old. N64!!

Followed closely by Ocarina of Time a year later.

In 2000, I got Majora's mask, DK64, The world is not enough 64 AND a GB Color. That was an amazing Christmas too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I had a few of this line, including Shredder. Awesome toys.

As for mine : Overlord!!

reduced-image_3646_106.jpg

G1_overlord_toy.jpg

What a giant. Played with him for days on end

Ahaha, never thought there would be another one :D This²!

Also, an original copy of Quake 3 Arena when it came out. Until this day I have no idea how my parents (who have no idea of gaming in general) got this game in a german store, since it was indexed on release. It made me even happier since things like OOT, just because I had absolutely no clue about it.

Edit, just remembered:

StarbaseCommandMIB1a.jpg

Christmas was so awesome when I was a kid :) Helps that it's my birthday, too ^^

BFIB

I was a big GI-Joe nut.

I was also a dinosaur nut.

So when Dino-Riders debuted on TV, I was instantly hooked. I remember getting these for my 9th birthday. I still have them set up in my upstairs office room to this day.

DinoRiderTrexARMORED.jpg

DinoRiderTriceratopsARMORED.jpg

I would set up these battle scenarios with GI-Joe protecting the world, while Dino-Riders invaded.

Dilly

Banned
I guess the first 2 things that pop up in my mind, which was a Lego police station and an electric racetrack with them loops and such.

kinggroin

Banned
Turbo graphics 16

Wanted that system soooo bad after playing kieth courage and bonks adventure at a buddy's house.

Mom and dad saved it for last in what was the greatest Christmas party we ever had. The same buddy who had it first was there, and at the end of the party, his parents and mine agreed to a sleep over.

I slept with the system btw.

BobLoblaw

Banned
segagamegear1.jpg

I didn't think there was a chance in hell that my dad would spend that much on one (of five) kid for Christmas, but he did. Needless to say, I freaked out.

Runner up goes to the...
snessystem.jpg

We had actually already unwrapped all of our gifts and were about to start playing with our toys when he told us to look under the couch. My brothers and I went ballistic and my mom was kinda pissed that he bought one without telling her, but that wasn't my problem. Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2 lasted us the next six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom