• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: I expect individual backers to provide the majority of funds for Shenmue

Well, shit. I hope that they make it possible for us to continue donating after the fact, because I'm willing to donate as much as I can monthly to help make this game be as complete as possible. We definitely have to make sure that this info gets out, so that people don't think the Kickstarter is over. He really should have set the goal higher. $8m with stretch goals up to $10m might have worked.

Get it out to Gametrailers, I know a certain someone would yell from the mountain tops.

Those people actively campaigning against Shenmue 3 should be ashamed of their words and deeds.

This is a very good idea. Huber making videos about Shenmue III and reminding everyone to donate would do wonders.

Pretty much.

They and others on GAF definitely hurt the campaign by spewing uninformed nonsense about this KS being some sort of interest gauge or scam because it's an easy narrative to paint out for controversy and/or clicks.
Yep. No idea why people tried so hard to sabotage this fundraiser. It's like people can't stand seeing others be enthusiastic about anything ever.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sod forklifts, a deeper love in Shenmue for me was being able to go into an arcade and waste some hours within that world

I'd love for at least one Sega licenced arcade game to appear. Wishful thinking for Virtua Fighter 1 and or 2? Sega plz - it would make a nice dovetail to the beginning of Suzukis 90's arcade reign for you.

As for overall scope, I don't care for 100s of npcs so that's good. Just give me a decent story and fairly full 10-20 hour story to eat through in a boxed in world. I don't think even the Shenmue core care about the graphics per se, just give a logical boost for the DC titles and that'd be good.

Sit down with Sega, throw them a bone and get a box set physical release on day 1 with Shenmue 1-2 HD and 3 together for $60 and we can toast a conclusive happy to the Shenmue saga. After all this time I don't like the idea of leaving it dangling for Shenmue 4. Be grateful with this last roll of the dice.

Cant sony just add money to the kickstarter? Like they donate too? Unless they already are? Sorry dont know too much about the politics for the game just glad its happening I guess.

zeshakag

Individual backers like Sony.

It's sad how hard someone can buy into the fake concern of sites like Polygon (who don!t actually care about the things they are "concerned" about, just want browny points and traffic) over the word of a prolific developer who has actual industry experience and paid his dues.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy what in the hoo ha Shenmue 1 cost 47 million in 2000?!?

How much did Shenmue 2 cost?

I thought it was way less than that.

daniels

Hmm maybe now that sony sees that the game really is in demand they help out in the end to make it the "complete" game?
But they are a business they probably have already somewhat calculated how much help makes sense for them..

Yjynx

Most likely sony will be helping with development and marketing which wouldn't be cheap. Marketing alone could be as expensive as the game devt sometimes even more.

I love how people were saying Sony forced him to do KS. Turns out, it's what he proposed and wanted.

Edit:

Actually I shouldn't assume how the KS idea was decided on, as I'm not 100% on these translations. But I wish there hadn't been such a negative campaign against it, if Sony wasn't using KS to gauge interest, while funding the rest -- like some fervently argued.

Suzuki talked about Kickstarter last year and was said it was something he was looking into: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-yu-suzuki-is-looking-into-kickstarter

Obviously that doesn't really shine much light on the actual decision, but does confirm its something he'd been investigating over a year ago.

Good Fucking job guys by jumping to conclusions before any concrete information is given and smearing your shit over the campaign. Yu Suzuki's team definitely needed to be more transparent, but the damage has already been done, unfortunately.

I don't think they'll reach the 10m mark unless if his kickstarter team adds some kick ass tiers and allows PayPal support asap.

Please revise your article kuchera.

Thanks for posting this.

From what we know, Sony's will indeed be providing some aid (perhaps just in the form of support and advertising), but they won't be bankrolling it as certain journalists suggested. And frankly, that makes sense -- every publisher on earth had a chance to bankroll this over the last decade, and nobody was willing to provide what Yu Suzuki was comfortable with to make Shenmue 3. That's why he finally pulled the trigger and took a risk on a kickstarter.

I suspect the $5 million Shenmue 3 we'll likely get (as it stands) will be pretty damn good. The $10m version would be fantastic, though -- and there's still a lot of time for fans (casual and hardcore alike) to come together and make it happen.

SerTapTap

Why go to Sony or make an agreement with them, If they ain't giving you much?
3 m in 2 days, major marketing bonus. I don't think they were counting on all the Concern though and funding dried up even harder than I expected after 3m.

Sorral

Cant sony just add money to the kickstarter? Like they donate too? Unless they already are? Sorry dont know too much about the politics for the game just glad its happening I guess.

They already did, but not to the KS I thought. I'm guessing it is something like 1/4 of the original smaller budget hence why the majority is from individual backers. Didn't someone say that Sega was helping with the dev tools as well?

Why go to Sony or make an agreement with them, If they ain't giving you much?

Stage time, publicity, making it on PS4, probably marketing support, etc.
The kickstarter on the conference was seen by many people.

Spaghetti

Good Fucking job guys by jumping to conclusions before any concrete information is given and smearing your shit over the campaign. Yu Suzuki's team definitely needed to be more transparent, but the damage has already been done, unfortunately.

I don't think they'll reach the 10m mark unless if his kickstarter team adds some kick ass tiers and allows PayPal support asap.

Please revise your article kuchera.
anybody feel like starting a twitter campaign for a retraction or new article?

elcapitan

The way I think of it is, it's up to us to get the game made, and on Sony's side, they'll probably play a big role in trying to sell it to the market, which I think is pretty important if we want part 4 or 5 down the line. It's okay if Shenmue 3 isn't the complete vision as long as it's a success--at least enough of a success to justify more installments, and perhaps with real publisher backing next time.

Rad-

So what's the projected ks amount atm? Because even 10 million sounds pretty low for Shenmue in today's game world.

Kickz

Why the hell wouldn't Sony bank roll this?? This as an exclusive would be amazing for them...

Someone call Phil Spencer and tell'em the girl is still available and Sony hasn't closed the deal

Why the hell wouldn't Sony bank roll this?? This as an exclusive would be amazing for them...

Someone call Phil Spencer and tell'em the girl is still available and Sony hasn't closed the deal
Because it's not a profitable venture?

What makes you think Microsoft wants it? It's probably even less profitable of a theoretical venture for them.

Meowster

They are, in theory, but I think it is said that backers are the "primary" source of funding. You can read that multiple ways, sadly -- could just be a first line of defense kind of thing, or you could read further to it meaning a majority of funding.
I see. I'll go and donate and try to spread the word around.

Top Bottom