• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: I expect individual backers to provide the majority of funds for Shenmue

On a budget of $2 million we'll be lucky if its a linear, QTE-heavy Telltale esque game.
1. it's already at $3.5m, and very likely to finish above $5m.
2. majority != all, so optimistically ... another $2m from publishers?

It's not completely dire, it's just uncertain ... like every other kickstarter!

I do wonder regarding the lack of X1, has there been any news on the reception of the announcement from Japan? Or on Yu's hopes for Japanese sales? I wonder if the X1 being a dead platform in Japan mattered for Shenmue, or if it's purely Sony moneyhatting or something.
And if you have neither a PS4 or PC, you should still fund it?
If you're a fan of the series, I would think you would do anything to have the dead franchise resuscitated yes. I can't imagine anyone asking that question except people who aren't big fans of Shenmue.

Although the "don't have a PC" thing does seem fairly suspect. If you don't have any computer whatsoever, alright fine. But this isn't a game that's looking like it'll require an actual gaming PC.

sphinx

the piano man
I am sure it has been mentioned in the many Shenmue threads but I thinks there's something murky in all this shenmue kickstarter thing.

I will buy the game if it gets a release, but I will definitely not pay kickstarter to make it a reality. I don't care for it enough.

you are a diehard fan, so you pay $100 to help funding PLUS $59.99 for the retail copy once it releases.

so you are paying $159.99 while I pay $59.99 for the exact same experience,

how is that fair? It feels like an abuse on the diehard fanbase.

Spaghetti

xbox shenmue fans, if you want shenmue 3, tweet at phil spencer

i don't own an xbox but i've already done it. i want all shenmue fans to get the game. if you want it, you've got to be heard!

benzy

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world
Fuck, we really need this to make 10 million

And this is Suzuki's definition of open world we're talking about, not by modern standards, but by Suzuki crazy ambition standards.

Here's what he had to say about Shenmue being revolutionary for their time and if Shenmue III will leave the same mark.

gameinformer said:
Q: Shenmue was a very revolutionary and influential game when it was released on Dreamcast. A lot has changed in the games industry since then. How does the team work to make a game just as revolutionary so long after the original?

A: It’s all about the new challenges with me, and I definitely want to try these new things. Of course, it’s going to come down to the funding and how much we’re going to be able to spend on Shenmue III, but if we get to that point, I believe it will be just as revolutionary as the ones before.

I am sure it has been mentioned in the many Shenmue threads but I thinks there's something murky in all this shenmue kickstarter thing.

I will buy the game if it gets a release, but I will definitely not pay kickstarter to make it a reality. I don't care for it enough.

you are a diehard fan, so you pay $100 to help funding PLUS $59.99 for the retail copy once it releases.

You get the game when you fund it. You dont need to buy it again.

If you contributed $29 or more to the KS campaign, you get a digital copy of the game.

Precisely.

It's very disappointing to me that we're seeing so much console-favoritism-crud involved in Shenmue related discussions.

Shenmue is one of those things that we should be happy even fucking exist as a possibility. If it's exclusive to XB1, WiiU or whatever, who gives a shit!? It's not like we seriously expected that it would ever be a real thing, that a creator can make the thing he has wanted to make for the past 15 years, should be more than enough.

That there is one more game in existence in this world, one that no one believed could happen. That is a beautiful thing.

Uh that's not how Kickstarter works at all. You should check out Kickstarter and the reward tiers before you post stuff like this.

You pay $60 (actually $29 for the digital version) to fund it and get a game when it releases. There's no extra money being spent, unless you want to.

It's like preordering. Except -- and here's where the risk comes in -- there's no guarantee the game you paid for comes out well (or at all). But as for that: it's Yu Suzuki, so I'm not particularly worried.

Yjynx

It amaze me even on the previous thread. People have no idea how ks work, how game devt work but making stupid ass assumption all the time. Sony is shady taking ks money etc etc. Amazing.

Yes if you're a huge fan of it. We arent getting another chance to redo Shenmue 3 after this and if it isn't good, there's no chance of any other Shenmue game ever. Straight from Yu Suzuki's mouth.
This is what people are overlooking. This is do or die right here. Shenmue was already suspected dead. If it doesn't do well, it's truly dead this time. This is our shot to throw money at it, regardless of platform affiliation.

If it isn't coming to your platform right now, who cares? If it works out, you may get it someday (or have the means to buy the platforms to play it on). If it doesn't work out, you'll never get more ever and never see another sequel. How is that a good option?

The best part? Sega will just look at this and say "This low budget Shenmue is popular! Make me Shenmue 4 for the same budget, and add million microtransactions. Thanks Mr. Suzuki for telling us which franchise of ours is popular".

Shenmue 4: 2020.

Sonic: Pussy Rider on iOS will still get twice the budget.

fertygo

I'm sorry, are you always this stupid or lazy?

Jomjom

Banned
So more like A budget than AAA budget. Don't know why people kept parroting the "oh but 1 and 2 cost almost triple digit millions of dollars, so what do you think this one is going to cost?!?!"

Of course this wasn't going to have a 40-60 million budget. That would basically be saying yeah we are expecting to lose millions of dollars by making this game for you guys!

The best part? Sega will just look at this and say "This low budget Shenmue is popular! Make me Shenmue 4 for the same budget, and add million microtransactions. Thanks Mr. Suzuki for telling us which franchise of ours is popular".

Shenmue 4: 2020.
Sonic: Pussy Rider on iOS will still get twice the budget.
:lol

And
mBEbGgn.png

munchie64

bloodstained had a very active community around it that was supported by the kickstarter staff of the game and the achievements.

shenmue iii already reached its funding goal. if yu suzuki had secretly hoped they would get $8 million to make what he had in mind, he should have set the goal higher.
Yeah, you're right. Still makes me feel sad though. I just imagined it having the same amount of effort as Bloodstained and how much it could make with that.

Chinner

Banned

holy shit, thanks for this post! i never knew sony and suzuki were holding me ransom. i am going to post everywhere that this is a scam and horrible blackmailing as well.

#cancelshenmue

Adam Boyes says the same thing on Giant Bomb. Should be obvious though.

Anyway, going on stage was a good way to publicize the Kickstarter but the Sony involvement mystery has perhaps stifled more money going into the Kickstarter.

People have thought Sony are bringing in a large chunk plus marketing and now the kickstarter reached the goal we can all sit back.

My thoughts were Sony is adding only a few million plus marketing and other private investors are adding some plus the kickstarter money.

Even now we don't really know. I think they need to communicate roughly how much they need from kickstarter, who else is involved, what's the full budget they have and clear up confusion to how much each of the older games cost and the complexities back then adding to the cost of building the tech. Seems like its 47 million over 2 games and huge ground work involved. Most keep claiming astronomical figures and fear if they don't have 40 million the game is a dud

I think 10-15-20 million can build a great Shenmue

Edit to avoid odd quotes: I'm not asking for company names, investor names of amounts to be declared. Just a rough idea to help more people act or not on the kickstarter. I'm fully aware details aren't disclosed. I'm well into stocks share and funding, venture capitalist so no silly quotes please.

Why is it not possible to pay for a physical copy for the PS4? I've contributed 29$ for a PS4 digital copy. I would consider contributing with more money if there were interesting higher tiers. But if I go for 60, I get nothing extra. I just pay double for my digital copy. If I go for 100$, I only get my name in the credits. So its 71$ just to get my name in the credits, cause I don't have a gaming PC and I don't intend in buying one just to play the demo.

You hear me Yu? Put something interesting if you want PS4 users to pay more than 29$.

This is what people are overlooking. This is do or die right here. Shenmue was already suspected dead. If it doesn't do well, it's truly dead this time. This is our shot to throw money at it, regardless of platform affiliation.

If it isn't coming to your platform right now, who cares? If it works out, you may get it someday (or have the means to buy the platforms to play it on). If it doesn't work out, you'll never get more ever and never see another sequel. How is that a good option?

Yes. I'm disappointed that people are mad Yu went to Sony (a Japanese company he's familiar with versus an American company which isn't a huge hit in Japan) and hold a grudge against him. Stop spewing your venom towards this and go hate on something else please. A lot of us fans don't give a shit what console it's on and we want this to be as good as it can be.

I though I read Sega has no rights to Shenmue now other than the first two games?

They own the IP, gave Yu Suzuki permission to make Shenmue 3.

If you had just put them on ignore you would have saved yourself a lot of anguish.
I think he meant more about the effect of their words which created negativity around the whole Kickstarter.

J2 Cool

To get this kickstarter really moving, think you need to look outside of it.

Huber's reaction is close to a viral video, passing that around with a "kickstarter link" on it. And the kickstarter page needs in BOLD: "2m minimum the game exists, 10m completes yu's vision"

Or alternatively something else. Ice Bucket challenge example. Its just about directing attention and people will do the rest if it makes sense. Just entertain them. These kind of things: SW Mcconaughey. Shia #SaveShenmue

elcapitan

The game isn't exclusive to PS4. I think the only reason why it's being made for the PS4 is because Sony is throwing in support via dev kits, maybe some funding, and marketing. It's probably a capacity issue. I think the only way for an X1 version to be made is if Microsoft decided to pitch in.

Either way, how much money the kickstarter makes impacts the scope of the game right now, so even if you're holding out hope for an X1 version, you fund that shit no questions asked.

Yjynx

Adam Boyes says the same thing on Giant Bomb. Should be obvious though.

Anyway, going on stage was a good way to publicize the Kickstarter but the Sony involvement mystery has perhaps stifled more money going into the Kickstarter.

People have thought Sony are bringing in a large chunk plus marketing and now the kickstarter reached the goal we can all sit back.

My thoughts were Sony is adding only a few million plus marketing and other private investors are adding some plus the kickstarter money.

Even now we don't really know. I think they need to communicate roughly how much they need from kickstarter, who else is involved, what's the full budget they have and clear up confusion to how much each of the older games cost and the complexities back then adding to the cost of building the tech.

I think 10-15-20 million can build a great Shenmue
No. People need to understand this. Most investor just unwilling to show himself. There are various reason for this. This kind of transparency is uncommon.

People have thought Sony are bringing in a large chunk plus marketing

Not only are assumptions stupid, my personal response to that line of assumption is "So what?"

Even IF Sony is forking out a lot of money...

Why wouldn't you still give it all the money you would've given without Sony's backing?
Why would you want this to be a better game than it was, even if it's just $1 more?
Why, that the game is now a "reality", are you setting some "conditions" to it?
Why? Is your love for the franchise's revival that shallow?

I'm really sad that Yu want 10 million to make it the full Shenmue experience, because it will not happen at this rate.

We need to be smart and make it happen somehow. Whether it’s from a clever campaign or getting certain journalists or celebrities involved. We need to be relentless and really go for it.

THSI IS IT! NOW OR NEVER! Once the game is out I don't want to look back and think what could have been. GO CRAZY WITH THIS SHENMUE FANS! We might be able to make it!!!

Coxswain

I think some of you guys getting worked up about how there was a "campaign/crusade against the game" spreading misinformation are tilting at windmills here. Most of the "Kickstarter is just to gauge interest, it's a tiny part of the real budget" came from people who were so high on hype and enthusiasm that they refused to engage with the idea that this was anything other than a full-throated, $30/40/50+ million AAA publishing effort by Sony - not from some group of bogeymen haters who ostensibly wanted the campaign to fail (for reasons that are invariably flimsy and poorly explained). In the face of all that, it was absolutely the right call for people to start calling for some clarification on the general composition of the game's budget.

That said, they're being fairly forthright about it now, and nobody should really have any problems at this point with the way they're conducting the campaign. It's a shame they didn't make the effort to get out ahead of all this in the first 24 hours - anyone launching a video game Kickstarter in 2015 should know to expect some mild scrutiny of any outside funding they're receiving - but I don't think that it should end up having a lasting effect on the campaign's success. At this point it's mostly a matter of working the rest of the campaign to make sure that people maintain their excitement and enthusiasm (the Bloodstained campaign did this pretty masterfully, and that's a big reason why it turned out as successful as it did).

We need to be smart and make it happen somehow. Whether it’s from a clever campaign or getting certain journalists or celebrities involved. We need to be relentless and really go for it.

THSI IS IT! NOW OR NEVER! Once the game is out I don't want to look back and think what could have been. GO CRAZY WITH THIS SHENMUE FANS! We might be able to make it!!!

We need to contact Danny DeVito and ask him to make a Virus video on Shenmue!

Jomjom

Banned
Also thanks to Polygon and those concern troll for spreading the FUD.

Look at it this way. The people who declined to back simply because of those idiots probably would not have backed anyway and were likely not big fans of Shenmue in the first place.

Why is it not possible to pay for a physical copy for the PS4? I've contributed 29$ for a PS4 digital copy. I would consider contributing with more money if there were interesting higher tiers. But if I go for 60, I get nothing extra. I just pay double for my digital copy. If I go for 100$, I only get my name in the credits. So its 71$ just to get my name in the credits, cause I don't have a gaming PC and I don't intend in buying one just to play the demo.

You hear me Yu? Put something interesting if you want PS4 users to pay more than 29$.
Manufacturing and shipping physical copies costs money. With the external funding being much less than what people assumed, I now understand why the stretch goals for this project are all gameplay-focused and the reward tiers are lacking. Instead of putting backer money towards producing fan swag, Suzuki wants to put every single cent into game development. This isn't meant to be on an indie scale project like Bloodstained or PoE, Suzuki wants to make this an AAA game as much as he possibly can.

Zafir

The game isn't exclusive to PS4. I think the only reason why it's being made for the PS4 is because Sony is throwing in support via dev kits, maybe some funding, and marketing. It's probably a capacity issue. I think the only way for an X1 version to be made is if Microsoft decided to pitch in.

Either way, how much money the kickstarter makes impacts the scope of the game right now, so even if you're holding out hope for an X1 version, you fund that shit no questions asked.
I'd imagine there's probably a timed exclusivity clause like with many of Sonys indie projects.

I'm sure if and when that runs out it would come out on xbone. It's not very difficult porting games this generation.

No. People need to understand this. Most investor just unwilling to show himself. There are various reason for this. This kind of transparency is uncommon.

You misunderstood

I'm not asking for a company name, persons name or figure, just info for the fans to understand

Don't you understand that right now people think Sony is funding this mostly when its isn't

We need to know roughly what the plan is, so like Sony and other parties or private investors are helping fund the game plus kickstarter money or its Sony and Kickstarter money and we're looking for a private investor

We don't know if more people should wade in on the kickstarter

Coming to PC and marketing + devt + other support. See this is the problem to some people : why it have to be Sony why? Oh God why?

I don't mind it being Sony, I just don't see the point of allegiance if they aren't doing shit. But if they do the marketing (which might be a bad idea but whatever), I can see why it's a good deal.

Sorry, lots of "exclusives on console" come to PC anyway, so I was thinking console only, but I accept I was wrong. I just hope the game is good for the fans.

If Sony is financing the game I think that the people who helped in the kickstarter are entitled for a percentage of sales since this project is backed by a multi-billion cooperation, it's really unfair for other kickstarter games and projects and for the idea of kickstarter.

Yjynx

You misunderstood

I'm not asking for a company name, persons name or figure, just info for the fans to understand

Don't you understand that right now people think Sony is funding this mostly when its isn't

We need to know roughly what the plan is, so like Sony and other parties or private investors are helping fund the game plus kickstarter money or its Sony and Kickstarter money and we're looking for a private investor

We don't know if more people should wade in on the kickstarter

It still wont happen. There are various stage of negotiation that as of now might still be happening. You wont get that info. Even after the game released count yourself lucky if we get any detail of it.

MMaRsu

Banned
If Sony is financing the game I think that the people who helped in the kickstarter are entitled for a percentage of sales since this project is backed by a multi-billion cooperation, it's really unfair for other kickstarter games and projects and for the idea of kickstarter.

Jeesh. Learn to read or something. Sony isnt funding the game.

OmegaDL50

Not only that but also that people claimed Sony was behind this and using a 'sleezy, shady' Kickstarter to gauge consumer interest when in reality it is the major resource for the project.

Having an issue with KS transparency is one thing, but then automatically claiming that the best fitting narrative ("Big company trying to rob fans, yo") is the truth is just plain dumb.

Ignorance and pushing an agenda rather then seeing the whole fundraising campaign for what it really is. Seems par for the course unfortunately.

Instead of folks appreciating the fact that Shenmue III in some shape or form is a potential reality, a specific few concern trolls would rather make conspiracy and claim the whole thing as shady.

Normally I would say this is vindication, but I'm not that petty.

Top Bottom