• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: I expect individual backers to provide the majority of funds for Shenmue

Spoo

do you think there's grounds for a class action lawsuit?

lol. Agreed. (wait, are you not kidding?)

Just ignore the article, and ridicule it when it comes up. Doing anything else seems like a waste of time, and lends to even more of a controversy which -- you guessed it -- contributes to clicks for their lame article.

liquidtmd

Banned
If Sony haven't locked anything in, I'd really like MS to come in and say 'look, give us same day release with PS4 and we will contribute' - and I say this as a PS4 only gamer.

I don't think Shenmue fans give a hoot about exclusivity. Xbone fans would be glad to have the option and I don't think it sounds like it would cost MS alot versus the goodwill / PR theyd earn.

DIG DEEP, THINK SMART! LET'S MAKE $10 MILLION POSSIBLE!

5jMRXuY.gif

So what's the projected ks amount atm? Because even 10 million sounds pretty low for Shenmue in today's game world.
Hard to say, but probably in the $5-$7m range right now (depending how well it sustains momentum and peaks towards the end).

As for whether $10m is enough, I'll trust Yu on this one.

Yjynx

If they are willing to properly fund it, it might as well be.

With the amount money they had and time (14+ year and shemue 2 on Xbox) I wonder why?

Yup as I expected this anti Shenmue trolish campaign is one of those stupid console war. My childhood dream destroyed by a very vile and petty people.

I can't imagine a quirky niche japanese game with a considerable budget like shenmue being a success on the Xbox One. It would just be like dumping money down the drains for MS just to have a game that people can list as a big exclusive on the internet.

Why the hell wouldn't Sony bank roll this?? This as an exclusive would be amazing for them...

Someone call Phil Spencer and tell'em the girl is still available and Sony hasn't closed the deal

they're not going to "bank roll" for all intents and purposes a risky ip that they don't even own

Why would they want to fund it? If Sony doesn't want to properly fund it, why would Microsoft want to? It's just not a hugely profitable venture. It might even be appropriate to call it risky.

I see now so the problem is no Xbox in the mix. Poor PC never been seen as another viable platform.

It is multiplatform. PC and PS4. That means it's just not on the platform that I assume you want.

You guys seem pretty hard dicked at the thought of it not being on Xbox.

Obviously that cant be some console warrior shit because clearly you just have the best interest of the game, that is primarily being funded by KS backers, at heart, which is why you want an entire segment not incentivised to back it as they would be if it was coming to their system.

You guys seem pretty hard dicked at the thought of it not being on Xbox.

Obviously that cant be some console warrior shit because clearly you just have the best interest of the game, that is primarily being funded by KS backers, at heart, which is why you want an entire segment not incentivised to back it as they would be if it was coming to their system.
I really don't care what platform it's on. It could be an Ouya exclusive and I'd still be throwing unhealthy amounts of money at it. I'm not really bothered by a platform being cut out. C'est la vie. If you care about the series, you'll fund it, regardless of system. I'd think not wanting to wait another decade is as good a damn incentivization as anyone needs.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world

Fuck, we really need this to make 10 million

oimori

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/20150618_707570.html
Interview with Andrew House
Q:
その中でも「シェンムーIII」について。あれは、SCEが資本的な面でも開発協力をする、という条件のもとにあるものなのでしょうか? 鈴木裕さんのスタジオとの間で、ある程度限定的な契約を交わし、資金調達をするという契約なのでしょうか。

ハウス:はい。その通りです。

補足しますと、まず鈴木さんは、元々「Kickstarterで出資を募って開発をしよう」という意思をお持ちでした。それがスタートだったんです。我々の社内のチームがそれを聞いた瞬間に「これは面白い。なんとか支援したい」ということになったんです。

しかしその前に、「本当にそれだけのファンベースがあるかどうか、確かめましょう」ということになったんです。そして、クラウドファンディングの目的を達成した段階で、ソニーからの支援をします、という形です。したがって、コンソールではPS4独占のタイトルになります。

でも段取りとしては、どちらにしても鈴木さんはKickstarterでやろうとしていたんです。ならば我々も支援したい。だから、まずはこの間のプレスカンファレンスでの「発表」こそが、大きな支援の形だと思っているんです。このステージで皆に存在を知ってもらうことができますから。

我々の力ではないですよ? そもそも「シェンムー」にそれだけの人気・力があってこその成功です。一時は、Kickstarterにアクセスが集中し、つながらなくなったそうですね。すごいことです。

I really don't care what platform it's on. It could be an Ouya exclusive and I'd still be throwing unhealthy amounts of money at it. If you care about the series, you'll fund it, regardless of system. I'd think not wanting to wait another decade is as good a damn incentivization as anyone needs.

This. So much.

It's Shenmue 3. The fact that it can & will exist is all that matters* Even assuming Sony is scummy, so what? Corporation are also people, they want to make money, what's it to (the haters) that you trample on the hopes & dreams of other normal people just to satiate your crusade against this 'made-up fantasy' corporate injustice? If you're an Xbox owner that loves Shenmue, you would kickstart this, and just tweet to Phil to ask for it to eventually come to Xbox. Not... do crap like what we've seen on GAF.

*unless the game's funded by blood-money or money that comes from criminal activities

sam777

I really don't care what platform it's on. It could be an Ouya exclusive and I'd still be throwing unhealthy amounts of money at it. I'm not really bothered by a platform being cut out. C'est la vie. If you care about the series, you'll fund it, regardless of system. I'd think not wanting to wait another decade is as good a damn incentivization as anyone needs.

Why would people who play on Xbox fund it? Your argument is flawed.

If Sony haven't locked anything in, I'd really like MS to come in and say 'look, give us same day release with PS4 and we will contribute' - and I say this as a PS4 only gamer.

I don't think Shenmue fans give a hoot about exclusivity. Xbone fans would be glad to have the option and I don't think it sounds like it would cost MS alot versus the goodwill / PR theyd earn.

People are voting for Shenmue 3 on the Xbox feedback site.

The game is getting far more votes than the FF7 Remake.

zeshakag

What? My console is the Xbox and I funded it. People can afford multiple mediums, it's not just "stick with one thing this entire generation." I appreciate Yu's work on Shenmue since playing Shenmue on DC and 2 on Xbox.

Sorral

I really hate the concern trolling and shit posting so many were doing in the first thread. It is so much worse now with this information.

bumping my pledge to $800. by hell or high water, we're going to get the shenmue 3 we deserve.

Honestly, I'd put more trust in Yu Suzuki as he already planned on making a game that would satisfy the fans way more than a light novel/comic would. So if you don't get that open world game, the game will not suddenly turn into something unworthy of being a Shenmue game.

He made Shenmue 1 and 2 after all.

sam777

What? My console is the Xbox and I funded it. People can afford multiple mediums, it's not just "stick with one thing this entire generation." I appreciate Yu's work on Shenmue since playing Shenmue on DC and 2 on Xbox.

I know many people own multiple consoles, I do. But a lot of people do stick with one console.

The argument isn't flawed. This is a game that has been dead for 14 years. Not dormant. Not in mobile spin-off land. Dead. If you are a fan of the series, you will fund it regardless of the platform is on. You will find a way to play it.

For God's sakes, it's coming to PC. Pretty much everyone should have a way to play this. It's not going to break your computer specs.

Spaghetti

wait how is it spiteful? because the article was sponsored by microsoft?
no, just very poor understanding of the facts and no desire to do the appropriate research/follow up to give a clearer picture of what's happening

it's run and gun journalism

I would love this for a few reasons:
1) Selfishly I would love to see this since I only have an XB1. I'll buy on PC, but would love to get on XB1, too (I'd even buy it on PS4 just to show my support, even though I don't have a PS4 - that's how much I want this game to succeed)

2) Shenmue is one of those games I believe that is really magically and deserves to be on as many platforms as possible. More people should have the chance to be exposed to this wonderful story and universe.

3) It'd make for a great story and demonstrate that this industry still has some people in it that actually want to see these types of games happen, even if they're risky and likely to fail financially - and two rival companies working together to make it a reality? Even more special.

I don't think it'll happen, but would love to see it.

zeshakag

I know many people own multiple consoles, I do. But a lot of people do stick with one console.

Then the premise of the initial retort needs to be adjusted. Shenmue fans on the whole are very supportive of the project, regardless of where their ship has sailed.

People are voting for Shenmue 3 on the Xbox feedback site.

The game is getting far more votes than the FF7 Remake.

If that's so, why not donate anyway? PS4 will be cheap by its release or they can play on their PC. Seems like a very petty reason to not donate to a game that has been dormant for 14+ years and one that relies on individual backing. I don't own a Wii-U but if shenmue was exclusive to it, I'd still back it.

I was thinking I'll just wait till it release and buy it normally. But I think I'll kickstart this when I got home, even though I was never a fan since I never even played shenmue 1&2. But it's for a good cause.

Top Bottom