• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki to hold Shenmue post-mortem at GDC 2014; Cerny to translate

2374320-6275214182-ioHRq.gif
lol

Shemune 3 believe

Cerny translating?

It's really, really hard to not read too much into this lol

I think everybody is just trying to keep expectations low. It does seem rather strange that Cerny is translating. I think at best, and I mean at the absolute best, we can hope for an HD collection, as I could see Sony getting exclusive rights to that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
why doesn't either

a) Sega just kickstart Shenmue 3
b) Yu Suzuki kickstart buying Shenmue rights from Sega or
c) Sony just kickstart to buy Sammy AND Yu Suzuki (though yes this means they would own him)

I would also pay if a gaffer did the same as option C.

Skyzard

Banned
They didn't refer to it as a post-mortem did they?

If so, that's the first time they've basically officially acknowledged it as dead, right?

Either they are desperate for funding and trying to explain they won't throw all the money away...

or shenmue is coming

Frumix

Suffering From Success
After so many years there's finally a platform that would be able to produce graphics comparable to Shenmue standards.

If so, that's the first time they've basically officially acknowledged it as dead, right?
Post-mortem is an industry term for dissecting the process of making a product after it has already shipped.

Xater

Either they are desperate for funding and trying to explain they won't throw all the money away...

or shenmue is coming

Yes they do just read the OP.

Finster

Why doesn't a new Shenmue game get kickstarted or something? Seems like there's enough old guard that would shell out good money for that.

IrishNinja

really excited for this, Suzuki's been more present/vocal in recent years and each time he's let us know more about his magnum opus, like the one a few years back killing the "70 MILLION DOLLARS" meme, can't wait for it.

Shenmue 3 on PS4 confirmed.

sounds legit, either this or they're puttin in work to make it a launch title for DC2 (9/9/19), i'm good either way

Cerny translating?

It's really, really hard to not read too much into this lol

this isn't the first time Cerny's done this for Suzuki though, even in recent years...the two go way back, it's great seeing their exchanges on the AM2 glory days

What's so awesome about it? Cerny and Suzuki talking about Shenmue? Whoopee-do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrSaE2V2N9I

There.

Awesome.

that was actually pretty awesome when it first when it happened, not sure why you're down on it?

jay

Wasn't post mortem a regular feature of Gamasutra/Game Developer? It has nothing to do with meaning a series is dead, it just means the game came out and they are looking back and what they did well and poorly.

In other words, Shenmue 3 and 4 are obviously still coming.

HooYaH

If a new Shenmue was to be made, it'll be probably a reboot of Shenmue. Not that many people have even played the first two Shenmue to even have a number "3" and I rather have the developers working on the reboot than spending time porting over 2 titles to a new console.

Skyzard

Banned
Yes they do just read the OP.

Ah missed it without the hyphenation...so it's officially called post mortem...

but then:

Post-mortem is an industry term for dissecting the process of making a product after it has already shipped.

Seems you're right, even BF3 got a "post-mortem"

hmm I dunno, I want to believe they are trolling with the title somewhat. Why else review it so far after the fact if there's nothing to follow?

Can someone explain why shenmue 3, with todays tech, would be an expensive game to make? I understand at the time, but the series seems run of the mill compared to what we have now.

Top Bottom