• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki to hold Shenmue post-mortem at GDC 2014; Cerny to translate

July

Banned
Can someone explain why shenmue 3, with todays tech, would be an expensive game to make? I understand at the time, but the series seems run of the mill compared to what we have now.

I don't think the issue is a matter of Shenmue 3 being more expensive than a normal game right now, rather the age old quandry of can they justify making it/will anyone do it/can we be bothered.

jay

Can someone explain why shenmue 3, with todays tech, would be an expensive game to make? I understand at the time, but the series seems run of the mill compared to what we have now.

I am fairly sure Shenmue 1 is more detailed than most games that come out today. Keeping a similar level of detail with current technology would still be a huge undertaking.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Shenmue means a lot to me and I'm looking forward to see this, what's your problem?

Shenmue means a lot to all good people.

Skyzard

Banned

If shenmue doesn't set new standards for game worlds, it's not shenmue and they may as well release a comic book imo.

QTE, daily chores and stuff, it won't be compelling when we're used to visually stunning environments, the immersion isn't there. Maybe with amazing motion capture/facial animations and cinema stuff but it would be a let down if it wasn't massive budget and technically impressive so we get totally sucked in like before.

I guess focusing on details helps a lot too, but I'd love to not feel like I'm just playing another unreal engine game if you know what I mean.

scarybore

Looking forward to this, always nice to see Suzuki pop up now and then.

If a new Shenmue was to be made, it'll be probably a reboot of Shenmue. Not that many people have even played the first two Shenmue to even have a number "3" and I rather have the developers working on the reboot than spending time porting over 2 titles to a new console.

I'd rather they just port the 2 older games with some touch ups here and there and put them up for download, I want the story to continue rather than be re-told. I can easily see your view from a publisher/marketing standpoint however.

60173-shenmue-iii-special-edition.png

damn man, why must you do this to me. my poor heart. i can't take this shit anymore. 11 years of blue balls since i played shenmue 2 on the xbox. cerny plz.

It would not be as expensive, but it would by no means be cheap either.

Shenmue would probably cost as much as a Yakuza game, which is still pretty hefty by Japanese AAA-standards.

Riffled

Banned
It would not be as expensive, but it would by no means be cheap either.

Shenmue would probably cost as much as a Yakuza game, which is still pretty hefty by Japanese AAA-standards.

Yakuza is cheaper than Shenmue I think. Shenmue is more about intricate detail and such.

Personally I'd rather them do a Shenmue 1+2 HD with an ending movie put at the end of it...

jay

Someone will have to explain to me how a new Shenmue would not cost a ton to make. Games have become more expensive to make, not less, or so big publishers say. A game with similar detail and scope to Shenmue 2 with HD everything seems like it'd cost a lot to make.

I made myself sad.

July

Banned
Someone will have to explain to me how a new Shenmue would not cost a ton to make. Games have become more expensive to make, not less, or so big publishers say. A game with similar detail and scope to Shenmue 2 with HD everything seems like it'd cost a lot to make.

I made myself sad.

It depends if you mean a ton to make in general (which it would, as it would likely be an "AAA" title, and these days they cost a ton to make) or if you mean a ton compared to other typical big games these days.

Saying that I think in both cases it would still cost a ton (if it were to follow the first 2 in terms of detail etc).

Omikaru

Shenmue 3 came out ages ago. As well as it's sequels.

They were just called Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs

Wrong, especially with Sleeping Dogs. Sleeping Dogs is more of a successor to the GTA-style open world game than a Shenmue-style open world game. And neither of those games really captures the level of detail or immersion, nor the quality aesthetics that Shenmue had.

Oh, bu-bu-but it stars an Asian guy and has martial arts, so it must be a spiritual successor! smh

They're going to announce Shenmue 3 as a megaton at the end. I'm telling you. Him and Cerny are best buds. Adam Boyes said the biggest request they've been getting for new games is Shenmue 3 and Yakuza.

It's going to happen.

I want so fucking bad for you to be right. I want to believe.

I'll watch this for sure, should be interesting. Even better is when Yu and Mark announce Shenmue III at the end as a grand finale. Can't wait.

Wrong, especially with Sleeping Dogs. Sleeping Dogs is more of a successor to the GTA-style open world game than a Shenmue-style open world game. And neither of those games really captures the level of detail or immersion, nor the quality aesthetics that Shenmue had.

Oh, bu-bu-but it stars an Asian guy and has martial arts, so it must be a spiritual successor! smh

Yeah, the thing that bugs me when people say Yakuza is the new Shenmue is how drastically different games they are. Yes, they're open world games set in Japan/China. However, Yakuza is a fighting RPG where Shenmue was really a detective game. What made it so immersive was being able to talk to everyone and they all went about their own schedules. You could follow someone around from day to night and see what they got into. That's what made it so groundbreaking. Most of the NPCs in Yakuza are just there, walking back and forth.

Not to mention that Shenmue was family friendly while Yakuza is extremely violent.

ChaosXVI

Not that I think there is even a remote chance of it happening, but can you imagine what the announcement of a Sony funded, PS4 exclusive Shenmue 3 would do to GAF? It'd be down for days...only to come back with an announcement topic reaching 20 pages in 10 minutes flat.

Having said that, I would shit to the moon and back if Shenmue 3 was announced...Shenmue was the first game I ever played that truly sucked me into a fictional world. I was 11, and had never seen anything like it, it definitely made the hurt better when I finally got my family to buy me a Dreamcast...in 2001, right when it was announced that SEGA was going 3rd party.

Riffled

Banned
Yeah, the thing that bugs me when people say Yakuza is the new Shenmue is how drastically different games they are. Yes, they're open world games set in Japan/China. However, Yakuza is a fighting RPG where Shenmue was really a detective game. What made it so immersive was being able to talk to everyone and they all went about their own schedules. You could follow someone around from day to night and see what they got into. That's what made it so groundbreaking. Most of the NPCs in Yakuza are just there, walking back and forth.

Not to mention that Shenmue was family friendly while Yakuza is extremely violent.

Yakuza is like Fighting Vipers to Virtua Fighter. Except Fighting Vipers is the successfull series with lots of sequels.

This guy gets it. I'm a fan of both franchises, but they're really not a whole like each other.

Why is this happening now all of a sudden? Must be a reason.

If nothing else, can the Shenmue fans at least accept that if it doesn't happen here it'll never happen and agree that if it doesn't, then they'll stop talking about Shenmue 3 at long last?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sega owns the IP right? Suzuki doesn't work for Sega anymore.

Dreams shattered. Although it's pretty shocking Sega doesn't rerelease it themselves since they do a lot of that.

bjork

Come on son, we all know the dream is long dead. If there ever was a chance it would have been after the Xbox release of Shenmue 2.

I hope it is, tbh. I just want a quote that we can use to post as replies to people begging for it still.

Sega owns the IP right? Suzuki doesn't work for Sega anymore.

Dreams shattered. Although it's pretty shocking Sega doesn't rerelease it themselves since they do a lot of that.

Contract him?

The only way this talk should end is "And now...Shenmue III is officially in develpoment." and I'll be happy if they proceed with "It is in early stages so we cannot show you anything just yet, but what we can show you is this... Shenmue I and II HD, coming winter 2014".

It should be an interesting stream regardless. Will definitely check it out.

Whoever is interviewing should ask what Lan Di is doing right now.

Dude got away with murder and is enjoying his wealthy and powerful life.

The only way this talk should end is "And now...Shenmue III is officially in develpoment." and I'll be happy if they proceed with "It is in early stages so we cannot show you anything just yet, but what we can show you is this... Shenmue I and II HD, coming winter 2014".

I have too much of a vivid imagination... My heart can't handle this!

Elvick

Banned
Why would Cerny be translating?

There has to be significance there, if there's not it'd be super weird.

Guess we'll see. I wouldn't get hyped if I was a fan though, just in case. :p I've never played it though, but have been hoping for a HD Collection... ):

The only thing I really remember about Shenmue is him being incapacitated by a stomach punch for about a week or so.

Also he was pretty hung up on some chick.

jay

Why would Cerny be translating?

There has to be significance there, if there's not it'd be super weird.

They are old friends who worked together at Sega and he has translated for him in the past with no other significance.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My childhood is holding out hopes of an HD re-release of the first and second games while they begin developing the third.

I really want them to finish telling this story.

Top Bottom