• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki to hold Shenmue post-mortem at GDC 2014; Cerny to translate

Empty

hope we get a video of this. sounds really interesting.

shenmue is masterful and as creatively bold today as it was at release.

Why would Cerny be translating?

There has to be significance there, if there's not it'd be super weird.

Guess we'll see. I wouldn't get hyped if I was a fan though, just in case. :p I've never played it though, but have been hoping for a HD Collection... ):
Shenmue III and HD collection exclusive to PS4.

church-lady-faint.gif

tumblr_mnjcnj7vxB1s4pop4o1_400.gif

stn

I'd buy a PS4 just for Shenmue 3. Honestly, I'd even be fine if the game retained the same graphics and feel of 1 and 2. I just want to finish the story.

Yeah, the thing that bugs me when people say Yakuza is the new Shenmue is how drastically different games they are. Yes, they're open world games set in Japan/China. However, Yakuza is a fighting RPG where Shenmue was really a detective game. What made it so immersive was being able to talk to everyone and they all went about their own schedules. You could follow someone around from day to night and see what they got into. That's what made it so groundbreaking. Most of the NPCs in Yakuza are just there, walking back and forth.

Not to mention that Shenmue was family friendly while Yakuza is extremely violent.

Remember though that Shenmue II dropped a lot of the detail in NPC schedules and so forth, probably to make a larger scope possible. In some ways it seems like an intermediate step between the first Shenmue and the Yakuza games. So even if there is a Shenmue III, there's no guarantee it will revert back to the style of the first one.

He finally realized there won't be a Shenmue 3 and so he is taking the time to reflect on his magnum opus :p
Should be interesting though.

Raist

Banned
It does seem rather strange that Cerny is translating. I think at best, and I mean at the absolute best, we can hope for an HD collection, as I could see Sony getting exclusive rights to that.

Well, they're friends, and it's always better to have an interpreter with the same background, and not someone completely foreign to VG.
That's why Kaz Yamauchi's translater is a PD team member, for instance.

Kssio_Aug

I just dont understand one thing.
These guys know how much the gamers want a new Shenmue... they obviously knows about all the theories and rumours about it from years and years.

Why they will talk 1 hour about Shenmue for nothing?? Not fair!

Hope that, at the end of it, they finnaly announce it!

rvy

Banned
Shenmue means a lot to me and I'm looking forward to see this, what's your problem?

My problem is that it's never happening yet they keep cock-teasing us for no good reason.
Every once in a while someone throws in a little Shenmue bomb for no reason and all that happens is that we get our hopes up and end up getting butt-fucked every single time.

First Boyes puts out the nugget of tons of requests for Shenmue. Nothing will come out of it.
A week later, Suzuki and Cerny are doing a Shenmue post-Mortem.

Talk about pouring salt in the wound. Why can't they just let it die already and leave us alone instead of cock-teasing us for 14 years? That's 14 years too much.
Unless you have something concrete to tell us, don't mention it. Don't keep dancing around the issue like you have for so many years.

AstroN

Banned
My problem is that it's never happening yet they keep cock-teasing us for no good reason.
Every once in a while someone throws in a little Shenmue bomb for no reason and all that happens is that we get our hopes up and end up getting butt-fucked every single time.

First Boyes puts out the nugget of tons of requests for Shenmue. Nothing will come out of it.
A week later, Suzuki and Cerny are doing a Shenmue post-Mortem.

Talk about pouring salt in the wound. Why can't they just let it die already and leave us alone instead of cock-teasing us for 14 years? That's 14 years too much.
Unless you have something concrete to tell us, don't mention it. Don't keep dancing around the issue like you have for so many years.

Since its GDC they will probably talk about the origins of Shenmue starting on the Saturn and how hard it was to develop, the move to dreamcast etc. This is just an inside look at the development of a legendary game and its sequel Shenmue 2. They will probably also discuss how Shenmue 3 will probably never happen unless Sega wants it etc. I don't think its meant to be a tease for Shenmue 3 or meant that way.

4lejandro

Every time I see the McMahon jif I crack up, the Cerny variant isn't an exception, the other day on
kotaku
they showed a video of a komodo dragon vs japanese lady
"race" and I swear the komodo dragon had the exact same walk, if someone could make an animated .gif of it I would be very grateful and amused.

Shenmue 3 would be big news for PS4, that followed by some TLG news nnnnnhhhggg...

Zep

Banned
Sony will have won me over for the generation if they give us a Yakuza 5+Ishin pack-in, along with Shenmue 3.

gogoud

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly does a post-mortem entail in a videogame sense?

The end of a game. talking about how it was where it went and where it is now.

Of course we are going to see some nasty bits and pieces. Get your gloves on and dig deep only to find out they're burying a comatose patient and someone forgot to pull the plug. You'll hear screams and shouts and finally someone with a shovel will start digging only to retrieve the still beating heart... It will get bloody and then just then you'll see the magic that the playstation 4 can bring.

For those who want a refresher, there's always "Shenmue The Movie" - 90 minute compilation of the major story beats.

It may be blasphemy but I enjoyed the story and world a bit more just watching that rather than playing the game.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
:eek:

I honestly believe this will be an announcement for Shenmue 3 that will get funded somehow by Sony or elsewhere.

Development could be cheap if they retain the DC style graphics.

I would seriously be screaming with joy and running up and down the street when it gets announced.

FACE

Banned
Yeah, the thing that bugs me when people say Yakuza is the new Shenmue is how drastically different games they are. Yes, they're open world games set in Japan/China. However, Yakuza is a fighting RPG where Shenmue was really a detective game. What made it so immersive was being able to talk to everyone and they all went about their own schedules. You could follow someone around from day to night and see what they got into. That's what made it so groundbreaking. Most of the NPCs in Yakuza are just there, walking back and forth.

Not to mention that Shenmue was family friendly while Yakuza is extremely violent.

NPC schedules were groundbreaking when Shenmue came out? Ultima 7 had them way back in 1992*, man.

*Not that this takes away from Shenmue's many technical feats, mind you.

RAIDEN1

For all intents and purposes the franchise is dead and has been for the best part of 11 years..hence the post-mortem...

If they REALLY wanted to bring ShenMue 3 out why have they been dragging their heels over it? ("if the demand is there etc"..and all that crap....)

Now with Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza out I assume they have taken over the ShenMue Mantle so to speak...

Top Bottom