• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki to hold Shenmue post-mortem at GDC 2014; Cerny to translate

IrishNinja

No! I do believe that would be terrible if you actually ever beat Lan Di. Violence breed violence. . Better to end the cycle. As his father said 'keep... friends'.

...No.
he killed your old man in cold blood; you make friends with whoever Ryo's dad did wrong by in the day, once the score is settled. it's the only way.

But he's innocent.

Of course you're here.

d4xxwkV.jpg

that's you in these threads, bro

jay

...No.
he killed your old man in cold blood; you make friends with whoever Ryo's dad did wrong by in the day, once the score is settled. it's the only way.

Revenge is a path to destruction unless you do it would be a pretty unsatisfactory ending of this series.

jay

If Shenmue 3 gets made, I wonder how everyone will respond to the inevitable Magic and mysticism that would be incoming.

I've already posted a few times about how part of me is glad the series is dead because it would only end up getting really fucking stupid.

Ryo becomes a Phoenix and Lan Di a Dragon. Then Shenhua the tree joins the fray!

IrishNinja

Revenge is a path to destruction unless you do it would be a pretty unsatisfactory ending of this series.

it's righteous justice though; if we're basing this off of kung-fu flick tropes (which seemed to be the series norm as i recall) there's plenty of times the villain loses their head/etc and heroes go off into the sunset, i don't think it's a given that they make peace at the end

If Shenmue 3 gets made, I wonder how everyone will respond to the inevitable Magic and mysticism that would be incoming.

this bit is indeed worrying, especially in a world where Indigo Prophecy happened...i was really hoping you'd learn to use the sword but it would stay rooted

jay

it's righteous justice though; if we're basing this off of kung-fu flick tropes (which seemed to be the series norm as i recall) there's plenty of times the villain loses their head/etc and heroes go off into the sunset, i don't think it's a given that they make peace at the end

this bit is indeed worrying, especially in a world where Indigo Prophecy happened...i was really hoping you'd learn to use the sword but it would stay rooted

I don't have a background in kung fu movies so I am not sure what you mean. Is it much deeper than Ryo is righteous because he is the protagonist? And wouldn't it be kind of odd if all your friends who explicitly tell you to not seek revenge are wrong and the moral is you should seek revenge?

Wasn't the beginning of Indigo Prophecy awesome? What a waste.

Flandy

I wish the would release an HD collection so someone like me who has never played them could see what the big deal is.

Lan Di was simply taking back what belonged to him. The fact that everyone is willing to listen to some snot-nosed kid who would rather play lucky hit then study martial arts over a mild-mannered business man constantly gives me a headache.

dino1980

I wish the would release an HD collection so someone like me who has never played them could see what the big deal is.

If so then a remake would be great. The graphics, sound and animation is a bit outdated by today standards.

For me its gonna be the annual playthrough of Shen mue on the DC this christmas.

IrishNinja

I don't have a background in kung fu movies so I am not sure what you mean. Is it much deeper than Ryo is righteous because he is the protagonist? And wouldn't it be kind of odd if all your friends who explicitly tell you to not seek revenge are wrong and the moral is you should seek revenge?

Wasn't the beginning of Indigo Prophecy awesome? What a waste.

they told him that, but still aided him in his quest, and taught him skills for just that fight. if anything, they perhaps meant to enjoy his youth & not wholly concentrate on revenge, which is what Club Sega arcades were for: balance.

and no, classic shaw bros kung-fu - like the best of marvel comics etc - are entertaining but rather simple morality tales, so you're not far off the mark.
yeah, Indigo's opening acts were fantastic, totally unrecognizable later in the game sadly. Heavy Rain at least stayed grounded but finding out that the weirdest dangling plotlines had to do with formerly spiritual junk taken out but left unresolved felt...even lazier, somehow.

Lan Di was simply taking back what belonged to him. The fact that everyone is willing to listen to some snot-nosed kid who would rather play lucky hit then study martial arts over a mild-mannered business man constantly gives me a headache.

1) Di could've done that without killing Hazuki's dad
2) the fact that you spent your time playing Lucky Hit and not training speaks to your own poor priorities, beef-chan. that's the lesson Suzuki wanted you to learn.

I will buy a PS4 if Shenmue 3 is announced for it.

Although, either go all the way with the game or fuck off. No half-measures. The only thing worse than never getting Shenmue 3 is getting a bad Shenmue 3.

1) Di could've done that without killing Hazuki's dad
2) the fact that you spent your time playing Lucky Hit and not training speaks to your own poor priorities, beef-chan. that's the lesson Suzuki wanted you to learn.

Hazuki's dad started it by not giving back Lan Di's shit. Dude wanted to throw down against the master, that's his own damn fault.

And I wanted to train all the time, but the game didn't want me in the dojo all the time or fighting on the street. How you gonna give me the opportunity to learn, then make me follow a schedule?

Stupid question guys, don't kill me for this, but...

What was the point of Shenmue? I remember buying it for the Dreamcast, only because it was supposed to be this amazing game with incredible graphics at the time, and all I remember doing was running up to pop machines trying to by Cokes! lol It was sooo boring I ended up trading it in.

If someone can give me a quick recap I would appreciate it. Also, what was so good about it? Just a wonder, don't slaughter me here.

EDIT: And yes, I remember, one of the main reasons aswell for buying at the time was that Yu Suzuki made it, and I have always benn a HUGE fan of his. Just never understood the point of this game and what was so fun about it.

:)

Chinner

Banned
at the end cerny announces shenmue 3 for ps4. angry nintendo fans run on stage and say that shigsy miyamoto could make shenmue 3 if he wanted to.

This is probably the last hope for the fans. I can't believe they have never made a sequel in this series. It is probably the most requested cult sequel in gaming.

This is probably the last hope for the fans. I can't believe they have never made a sequel in this series. It is probably the most requested cult sequel in gaming.

This game's budget puts triple-A games made TODAY to shame. It was essentially a GTA level game without the GTA level playerbase.

Alx

I'm a big fan of Yu Suzuki's work, but he hasn't worked on anything worth mentioning for almost 10 years. I don't know if I would expect much from him, especially on a Shenmue game, since open-world is the genre that evolved the most during those years and Shenmue was only one of the precursors.

What was the point of Shenmue? I remember buying it for the Dreamcast, only because it was supposed to be this amazing game with incredible graphics at the time, and all I remember doing was running up to pop machines trying to by Cokes! lol It was sooo boring I ended up trading it in.

The point was attention to details, and freedom. Especially in the first one, actually. The ability to enter every shop, observe all objects (reproduced with fine details), talk with all NPCs (some of them having their own side story and interactions), observe them react to time of day or weather changes... and of course being able to do other things than following the main story. All of that was quite rare at the time, only a few other games tried it, and they didn't have that production value.
But it's true that all of it is less impressive now. The attention to details is still quite remarkable, but that level of freedom and interaction is now quite common in open world games.

ajim

This game's budget puts triple-A games made TODAY to shame. It was essentially a GTA level game without the GTA level playerbase.
comparative to the Dreamcast's install base, the game sold amazing.

if the dreamcast had the user base and support of ps2, shenmue would have sold millions.

rvy

Banned
Shenmue, the franchise, had the budget inflated because they had to create a lot of tech in-house that wasn't the norm back then. This would be a non-issue today.

Not to mention that I think most of the fanbase would be extremely happy if they just re-used the old engine and Shenmue III ended up looking like an HD version of Shenmue II.

comparative to the Dreamcast's install base, the game sold amazing.

if the dreamcast had the user base and support of ps2, shenmue would have sold millions.

Nah, man. It's niche and shit. Let's all forget that Shenmue sold over a million copies on a console that sold 10 million consoles in total.

I think the industry really needs to replace post-mortem with a better phrase. The death connotations always make it sound like the game was a failed project or the series has been canned. This thread is proof positive that the term causes a lot of confusion.

Could just call it something similar like "post-development interview", "dissection", "development retrospection", "dev reflection".

Anyone got something short and snappy?

The point was attention to details, and freedom. Especially in the first one, actually. The ability to enter every shop, observe all objects (reproduced with fine details), talk with all NPCs (some of them having their own side story and interactions), observe them react to time of day or weather changes... and of course being able to do other things than following the main story. All of that was quite rare at the time, only a few other games tried it, and they didn't have that production value.
But it's true that all of it is less impressive now. The attention to details is still quite remarkable, but that level of freedom and interaction is now quite common in open world games.

Thanks for refreshing my memory, I remember all that talk at the time, that it was such a free world, etc, etc. I just remember it being sooo boring! lol I guess I'm more of an action guy, Ninja Gaiden type style. At the same time, maybe I just didn't give it a chance, IDK.

Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, where in the hell is Itagaki??? LOVE that guy!!!! My lord, him leaving Team Ninja made me cry! :( That series never been the same since!

:(

I think the industry really needs to replace post-mortem with a better phrase. The death connotations always make it sound like the game was a failed project or the series has been canned. This thread is proof positive that the term causes a lot of confusion.

Could just call it something similar like "post-development interview", "dissection", "development retrospection", "dev reflection".

Anyone got something short and snappy?
Dissection implies death, too. The term you are looking for is vivisection.

MrCuddle

Oh, so it's once again time for my heart to be shattered into a thousand pieces. That's cool I guess.

For the love of god, make Shenmue III happen aaaaaaaaaargh!

Arkanius

Let's not forget that a game like Shenmue nowadays is easier to make
Shenmue was expensive because it full of new stuff and groundbreaking stuff

Top Bottom