• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki to hold Shenmue post-mortem at GDC 2014; Cerny to translate

_Ryo_

Why do people keep saying post-mortem = series is dead. That's simply not true as many series have received "post-mortems" and are on-going. post-mortem just means to revisit and to analyze in the gaming community.

DieH@rd

Banned
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly does a post-mortem entail in a videogame sense?

Complete overview of the game design process, from concept to retail. What went right, what went wrong, how everything was built. Sometimes its very conversational, sometimes with technical descriptions. It is always filled with crazy stories. :D

Examples:
Fallout - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4
Maniac Mansion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNpjGvJwyL8
Doom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKg85-TXY5w
Skyrim - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7awkYKbKHik

Zep

Banned
Interested in knowing how many Shenmue fans haven't given Yakuza a chance? I was like that (especially after yakuza vs shenmue threads) but after giving the game a chance, it is now one of favorite series ever.

Josh7289

If he cares enough about Shenmue to do this, I think he wants to make Shenmue 3 but Sega doesn't

That's always been the case. No one wants to fund it though, since the first two sold poorly. Pretty much only Sony could take that risk at this point, I think.

Zafir

Why do people keep saying post-mortem = series is dead. That's simply not true as many series have received "post-mortems" and are on-going. post-mortem just means to revisit and to analyze in the gaming community.
True.

Lets face it though. Shenmue III is something we all want that is very unlikely to happen. :(

Should really do a replay through of Shenmue again. Always love playing it through around Christmas.

RyuHei

That's always been the case. No one wants to fund it though, since the first two sold poorly. Pretty much only Sony could take that risk at this point, I think.

We'll never know if it would have a higher chance of selling well on PS2.

Yu should just buy the ip off if Sega. It's just whether Sega would sell it at all, or even make it super expensive.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yu Suziki needs to form a team and start a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign. He would get 15 million bucks easily, probably much more if he slowly introduces great stretch goals (start a game with a bike, motorbike, car, gargen, better house, etc).

Jabba

Banned
I really wish they'd make an hd collection, would love to play this series.

For what it was at the time absolutely fucking gloriuos. Maybe with some searching, you could find a DC an original Xbox and copies of both games, Shenmue 1 and 2.

If you ever did, let us know what you think.

I remember playing the first game through one time with a nephew at the time. Never one argument about whos turn it was to play. We had both finished it though. Neither of us left to do anything. If we had to break, we both did for fear of missing something cool.

Ah man it just makes me wish that things were a little different in regards of what happened to sega. Imo, Shenmue series was fantastic at the time. HHG is right. I'm beginning to think the wonder is dying for even myself in gaming. Even though my view is nostalgic, there have only been a few games since Shenmue to evoke the sense of wonder in myself.

Morrowind,City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Phantasy Star Online series through to Xbox. It seems I may need to check myself GAF.

Replicant

I hope this means that people can stop flogging the dead horse known as Shenmue franchise.

Oh who am I kidding? You guys will continue regardless.

Midou

I hope this means that people can stop flogging the dead horse known as Shenmue franchise.

Personally I've always held onto hype cause almost yearly Yu Suzuki makes some mention of his interest in it. If this post mortem actually happens though, I think I can finally give up and a weight will be lifted off my shoulders. Shenmue 1/2 are my favourite games ever, and I've been hopeful this whole time, but this kind of ending would put my mind at ease.

It'll be like Big Boss' 'This is good isn't it?'.

IrishNinja

Shenmue 3 came out ages ago. As well as it's sequels.

They were just called Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs

as a huge fan of both Shenmue & Yakuza: don't do this. it's very off-putting to fans of both franchises.
they're very different series, beloved for very different reasons.

This has a very ominous feeling to it. Cerny present just to translate? Sure...

Since we're on the subject of Shenmue. Here is the Shenmue theme played at a recent video game concert in Germany.

Symphonic Selections: Shenmue Sedge Tree (Cologne Philharmonic Hall)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THvcTyP27To

nice! thanks for posting this

Holy shit this is exciting news! Suzuki doesn't get enough love in this industry anymore.

seriously, he's a legend and so little gets talked about him. i'd kickstart the shit out of a book dedicated to him & AM2, the stories that come from these events are always crazy interesting.

For all intents and purposes the franchise is dead and has been for the best part of 11 years..hence the post-mortem...

If they REALLY wanted to bring ShenMue 3 out why have they been dragging their heels over it? ("if the demand is there etc"..and all that crap....)

Now with Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza out I assume they have taken over the ShenMue Mantle so to speak...

no offense, but everytime i see you post anything sega-related, it's like...the opposite of correct

Lan Di still needs to pay for what he's done.

you're goddamn right he does

It's been over 12 years since I finished Shenmue II. Why would I give up hoping now?

Duke Nukem Forever came out - anything is possible.

(Yes I know Duke was terrible, but I'm still glad they released the actual game which had been worked on for 14 years and didn't just make a new game and call it DNF)

vid

I can't stop thinking about the Mega Man retrospective/post-mortem that Inafune gave at PAX this year.

You all remember how that ended, right? *crosses fingers*

Clipboard01.jpg

wat

border

This is terrible news. Have you heard the quality of Sony's interpreters lately?

"When we huh began making Shenmue huh on the Sega huh Saturn...."

jay

No! I do believe that would be terrible if you actually ever beat Lan Di. Violence breed violence. . Better to end the cycle. As his father said 'keep... friends'.

I posted something almost identical a few days ago including quoting Ryo's father. You either have good taste or are a ninja sent to destroy me because I destroyed someone in your life.

Rikkun

Luckily I'll never end Shenmue 2, so that I'll never feel the need for the third one.

Unless they announce an HD collection, or.. you know.

NPC schedules were groundbreaking when Shenmue came out? Ultima 7 had them way back in 1992*, man.

*Not that this takes away from Shenmue's many technical feats, mind you.

Well, technically Ultima V NPCs had a schedule as well. Crazy when you consider that game came out in 1988.

The thing is, Shenmue was amazing because the world actually functioned when you weren't around, or at least felt like it did. In Shemue 1 especially everyone had a home, a place they worked or went to, they shopped, they did just about everything you would expect them to. No real filler characters either. Shenmue 2 lost some of that detail, but it was much the same.

The scheduling was HUGE because after Ultima 7, which had it, no other games really did. Hell Morrowind just had NPCs that stood around, as did all the Bioware games, the Fallouts, and those are just a couple of games that tried to build a world. Hell, I didn't see NPCs acting anywhere near Shenmue level until at least Oblivion. That is some crazy ahead of its time.

A lot of people still don't understand WHY Shenmue was so amazing, and in many ways why it still is. The graphics aren't top of the line anymore, but the level of detail in the world is still unmatched. It really was something special.

Jubern

Fuck fuck fuck I clicked that orchestra Shenmue theme link and now I feel like shit. Relapsing time.

I want a HD collection SO BAD. Don't believe in III even for a second and I think that's for the better. I'm really looking forward to that post-mortem!

Midou

I posted something almost identical a few days ago including quoting Ryo's father. You either have good taste or are a ninja sent to destroy me because I destroyed someone in your life.

The former, it just seemed to fit so clearly together. :p

I would hope even if we can't get Shenmue 3, at least an PS4-HD-make as part of the postmortem would be good still ._.

DeerMan

Banned
I LOVE SHENMUE!!
The scene in Shenmue 1 where you save nozomi with the song playing on the motorcycle always makes me tear up. The hair graphics are stunning, so was everything about the game.

Has anyone ever seen "Shenmue: The Gang Edition"? Its a pretty long Parody of Shenmue 1 and 2 they even made a third one , I love it so much!!

Shenmue 1: The Gang Edition part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn6wq_s9jLg

Shenmue 2: The Gang Edition part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s30g36jFfvQ

Must watch for any shenmue fan!

This is terrible news. Have you heard the quality of Sony's interpreters lately?

"When we huh began making Shenmue huh on the Sega huh Saturn...."

Must have missed the part about Cerny doing the translations. And dude huh, Translator lady huh was fucking awesome huh

Sakujou

Banned
mark cery is able to speak and translate japanese!?! HOLY SHIT?!?!

what kind of monster is that guy!?!

also why was he not present until the ps4 came around?

its unbelievable how famous he had become when the ps4 was announced.

They're going to announce Shenmue 3 as a megaton at the end. I'm telling you. Him and Cerny are best buds. Adam Boyes said the biggest request they've been getting for new games is Shenmue 3 and Yakuza.

It's going to happen.

Wouldn't this be something for the ages...

Finalizer

From my understanding, he's just been a more behind-the-scenes kinda guy, though respected in developer circles at least. (See: Cerny Method) I guess in a way, the PS4 being so focused on being dev-friendly made it an opportune time to shove him into the spotlight.

Qvoth

he has a japanese wife
andrew house speaks japanese too

Top Bottom