• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki's gamelab presentation has a slide with a '3' on it. You know what to do.

gugeifer

Excitement, hype and chaos in 3-2-1...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Salex_

Sooo what are the details about this presentation? Is it about to happen right now? What is it about? What companies are there?

The only detail in this thread is a picture with a "III" and a pic with Yu Suzuki and Yoshida lol.

Can someone explain to me why Shemnue was such a good game?

I would like to know this as well. I never really searched for the game before, but it seems like an open world adventure game that didn't focus on combat?

Haunted

I_can't_handle_this_1232.gif

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As someone who has never played a Shenmue game, is the assumption that Shenmue 3 would be just like a Yakuza game (gameplay wise) a good assumption?

Bricky

Shenmue is probably the only franchise loved by GAF I don't know too much about. Is there any way to play the older games on modern systems? Are they still worth playing, or is the love mostly based on nostalgia and the fact the story never had a satisfying conclusion?

MormaPope

Banned
As someone who has never played a Shenmue game, is the assumption that Shenmue 3 would be just like a Yakuza game (gameplay wise) a good assumption?

If its a Shenmue game, no. Shenmue is essentially a detective game with multiple ways of progression, multiple story/gameplay branches that lead to the same result, and an extremely detailed world where you can interact with plenty of objects.

They're not really a whole lot like each other. Yakuza is a brawler with lots of emphasis on combat, whereas Shenmue is more of an adventure game with emphasis on investigating leads and obtaining information given to you by the many NPCs in the world. There's a little bit of combat in the games that's similar to Yakuza, but that's about where the comparisons end.

Lemmy

Banned
I'll never understand the mad clamor for more Shenmue.

The games were definitely impressive for the time, and I guess I'd be interested in seeing what such a title might end up like today, but I get the feeling that time and nostalgia has dulled the memory of many about just how fun-free these games actually were. If it ever came back the gameplay would need to consist of a bit more than a schedule keeping walking sim.

I can't see it ever being revisited tbh though.

jay

I look forward to being massively disappointed by the actual game and pining for the days of pining for the game.

jdw_b

Shenmue is probably the only franchise loved by GAF I don't know too much about. Is there any way to play the older games on modern systems? Are they still worth playing, or is the love mostly based on nostalgia and the fact the story never had a satisfying conclusion?

You can get Shenmue 2 on an OG Xbox, not sure about the first game though

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
not really.

i guess combat is a little similar though.

If its a Shenmue game, no. Shenmue is essentially a detective game with multiple ways of progression, multiple story/gameplay branches that lead to the same result, and an extremely detailed world where you can interact with plenty of objects.

They're not really a whole lot like each other. Yakuza is a brawler with lots of emphasis on combat, whereas Shenmue is more of an adventure game with emphasis on investigating leads and obtaining information given to you by the many NPCs in the world. There's a little bit of combat in the games that's similar to Yakuza, but that's about where the comparisons end.

Alright, thanks.

Top Bottom