• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki's gamelab presentation has a slide with a '3' on it. You know what to do.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
his talents were utterly wasted on the first and second. yu, please return to making good games pls. particularly ones of the four-wheel nature

BrFbnbIIQAASNeQ.jpg

What whaaaaat?
Is that florentino fernandez? lol

Ah, seems to be a spanish event.

Alx

Can someone explain to me why Shemnue was such a good game?

It tells the story of a guy who has too much time to kill, so he spends it talking to strangers about topics he doesn't care about, buying food for his cat, collecting figurines, playing video games and not getting anywhere with women.
So in short, it was like a prelude to NeoGAF. ;)
there's also something about his father getting murdered, but whatever.

Why do people even want this shit anymore? Shenmue is basically a really outdated GTA with shitty story and boring minigames.

GTA? Lol. Just goes to show that there's still nothing out there that you can truly compare to what Shenmue is. That's why so many cling so tightly to the hope of a third game being made, because there's still nothing else quite like it.

You watch your frakkin mouth Mr.McBlaze.

The MK8 pit that I've been stuck in must be deeper than I realized, I had no idea that you were back ^_^

I'm ashamed to say that it's been so long that I remember nothing about Shenmue 1/2 (except for that adorable kitten). I guessing that if this is really happening they'll remake/port the first two games to get everyone up to speed?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I, as a sorely afflicted Banjo-Kazooie fan, wish all of you Shenmue-fans good luck with that. Actually sounds like there will be a Shenmue 3. Personally, since I own and abhore Shenmue 1 (really slow & uninteresting from a gameplay point of view imo and gameplay is almost everything I'm interested in in a game), I don't care too much, but I absolutely wonder how they want to do this. Going all big budget as they did for Shenmue 1 and 2 seems to be not such a great idea, since it is a rather unknown franchise nowadays and the story of 1 & 2 isn't too well known. One way - the way I'd probably choose if I were them - to do it would probably be to reuse the engine and assets from 1 & 2 (of course adding similar quality assets where needed) and making a direct successor to 2 in the same engine, selling all three episodes as one retail game for full price or just number three as a download game for half price. Only selling the third episode would be rather limiting though, I think. They could also go for a third game using a modern style and engine without going full AAA, offering 1 & 2 as bonusses. But considering, as far as I know, the three episodes are meant to form a unit, that might not be such a great idea.

What approach would fans of the franchise want? What do you think is realistic?

xyzls

Shenmue 3 and Half Life 3 are never gonna happen. The expectation levels are WAY out of control for a sane human being to try direct those games.

slash3584

I, as a sorely afflicted Banjo-Kazooie fan, wish all of you Shenmue-fans good luck with that. Actually sounds like there will be a Shenmue 3. Personally, since I own and abhore Shenmue 1 (really slow & uninteresting from a gameplay point of view imo and gameplay is almost everything I'm interested in in a game), I don't care too much, but I absolutely wonder how they want to do this. Going all big budget as they did for Shenmue 1 and 2 seems to be not such a great idea, since it is a rather unknown franchise nowadays and the story of 1 & 2 isn't too well known. One way - the way I'd probably choose if I were them - to do it would probably be to reuse the engine and assets from 1 & 2 (of course adding similar quality assets where needed) and making a direct successor to 2 in the same engine, selling all three episodes as one retail game for full price or just number three as a download game for half price. Only selling the third episode would be rather limiting though, I think. They could also go for a third game using a modern style and engine without going full AAA, offering 1 & 2 as bonusses. But considering, as far as I know, the three episodes are meant to form a unit, that might not be such a great idea.

What approach would fans of the franchise want? What do you think is realistic?

What I want?

A real sequel to Shenmue II in both story and gameplay with some updated mechanics and even more interactuable enviroments.

What I think is realistic?

Shenmue III Auto with unique waifu pre order DLC

Rising_Hei

Shenmue 3 and Half Life 3 are never gonna happen. The expectation levels are WAY out of control for a sane human being to try direct those games.

Shenmue 3 doesn't have to be ultra innovative, it just has to continue the story we all want to know about

This seems way too mean to be a complete troll. Perhaps now it seems like it, but it will be announced later? Do I just have a terrible case of false hope?

Kimppis

... that sounds like it would be exactly my cup of tea. I love story/exploration heavy games. If you take that into account, are the first two games still too outdated to enjoy?

I think they are very unique experiences to this day. I played both games for the first time in 2011 and I enjoyed them. The first game's pacing is EXTREMELY slow. Seriously, there's nothing like it and it was part of the appeal for me, it's ridiculous. Shenmue 2 is one of the best sequels ever, imo. Takes place in Hong Kong, more action, improved pacing. Also, the attention to detail is mindblowing considering the first one came out in 1999 (Japan). However, it's really nothing unbelieveble by today's standards, so that might a small problem.

Yout either love it or hate it, even though I "only" liked Shenmue 1, but absolutely loved Shenmue 2.

Oh, and the soundtrack is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWm8Gml8w4w&list=PL0DFF2D756B3B589E&index=16

This seems way too mean to be a complete troll. Perhaps now it seems like it, but it will be announced later? Do I just have a terrible case of false hope?

Believe.

Marcel

My hype is >9000 !!! It really seems like it's going to happen!

Tokyo Game Show reveal, perhaps?!

You must be new to this whole Shenmue 3 hype game. I've been through this process for, like, years and years. As much as I would like it to happen, the III in the Shenmue font is not indicative of anything real.

Top Bottom