• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki's gamelab presentation has a slide with a '3' on it. You know what to do.

More Shuhei and Yu pic

BrISrQtCAAAyP7p.png

what do these pics meeeean!

The main thing I think is for a Shenmue 3 to 'work' for a new audience they probably need to at least put out a HD Remaster of 1 & 2 (and they're ripe for it, really. Widescreen 'em, replace some textures, it'll look amazing.) and along those lines, I wonder what Microsoft's deal around Shenmue 2 looked like and what effect it'd have on the ability for that to happen of Nintendo or Sony picked this up.

Amir0x

Banned
Would it really be mother without Itoi?

..which is actually part of the reason I'm dying for Shenmue III. Suzuki isn't getting any younger, you know?

I don't know. Although I am more confident in Nintendo to pull something out good than if anyone else had the series.

But yeah, I get it. Since Shenmue is such a story-driven series, it's probably especially frustrating to be unable to see the conclusion to this series.

I'd love for it to exist, because the reaction from SEGA fans would be astonishing. I once said if Sony made it happen that it'd be the one thing that could make them forgive the death of Dreamcast hehe.

we're all secretly brothers and sisters in-arms.

*serpentsalute*

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't know. Although I am more confident in Nintendo to pull something out good than if anyone else had the series.

But yeah, I get it. Since Shenmue is such a story-driven series, it's probably especially frustrating to be unable to see the conclusion to this series.

I'd love for it to exist, because the reaction from SEGA fans would be astonishing. I once said if Sony made it happen that it'd be the one thing that could make them forgive the death of Dreamcast hehe.

*serpentsalute*

Only thing that gives me hope if someone other than Suzuki made Shenmue III is that the story has been written and set in stone for years already.

Which, bringing back to a post I wrote earlier - I wonder how many would be turned off due to the direction the series was about to take? It was about to become high fantasy. The Shenmue Online trailer from years ago? It wasn't really too surprising to see all those fireball things because we knew the series was heading in that direction.

I could see Shenmue III coming out and a lot of people being upset by the fantasy elements, incorrectly attributing them to not being the original vision, when they'd been planned all along. Shenmue I and II were really just long prologues, the real heart of the series was supposed to begin just after Shenmue II.

It's Suzuki's relationship with Cerny, but yeah, I understand this. At the time of Shenmue 1 and 2 many SEGA lovers were Sony haters. A lot of the Dreamcast hardcore moved over the Xbox since that's where the awesome Sega games were. I've since forgiven Sony for their brutal slaying of SEGA, but I will never forget... unless Shenmue 3 is exclusive to PS4 for some reason. Maybe that'll help me forget.
As a Sega fan myself I'd say NEVER FORGET!

theWB27

I've wanted this for as long as I can remember. I want...nay.. I need Shenmue 3. I need it in my life. But I refuse to get excited about ANYTHING other than a screenshot/trailer that confirms it's real AND has the proper budget to make it the Shenmue Yu wants to deliver.

Anything less than this can confirmation is BS and has been since every other tease over the last THIRTEEN years.

It's Suzuki's relationship with Cerny, but yeah, I understand this. At the time of Shenmue 1 and 2 many SEGA lovers were Sony haters. A lot of the Dreamcast hardcore moved over the Xbox since that's where the awesome Sega games were. I've since forgiven Sony for their brutal slaying of SEGA, but I will never forget... unless Shenmue 3 is exclusive to PS4 for some reason. Maybe that'll help me forget.

As a Sega fan myself I'd say NEVER FORGET!

Haha...yes, that described me well around 2000-2001...I wasn't too big of a Sony fan back then. I also moved over to Xbox and loved how it was essentially DC2 in many ways (with so many great Sega games coming over to the big black box). I've certainly moved on (and grown older), but I think deep down I still am a bit upset at the 1999-2000 Sony.

Although I'd be a bit annoyed if Shenmue 3 got made exclusively for PS4. I definitely think this is a game that should go multiplatform. No reason it should be held to one platform. Not to mention that it's already a niche title, it certainly won't do the game any favors to be available on just one system. Phil Spencer has talked about Shenmue many times in the last few months (mainly because people keep asking him about it), I wouldn't be surprised if he has been in communication with Yu in some way.

Ideal scenario is it gets made at least for XB1/PS4, and on disc is either ports of the originals or a movie covering the story from the first two (a la Shenmue 2 on Xbox).

Amir0x

Banned
Only thing that gives me hope if someone other than Suzuki made Shenmue III is that the story has been written and set in stone for years already.

Which, bringing back to a post I wrote earlier - I wonder how many would be turned off due to the direction the series was about to take? It was about to become high fantasy. The Shenmue Online trailer from years ago? It wasn't really too surprising to see all those fireball things because we knew the series was heading in that direction.

I could see Shenmue III coming out and a lot of people being upset by the fantasy elements, incorrectly attributing them to not being the original vision, when they'd been planned all along. Shenmue I and II were really just long prologues, the real heart of the series was supposed to begin just after Shenmue II.

Yeah, there's always that possibility for sure. I hope it works out for you guys though, genuinely. The celebration would be just pure gamer love, a orgasm of enthusiasm that would be impossible not to get infected by.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, there's always that possibility for sure. I hope it works out for you guys though, genuinely. The celebration would be just pure gamer love, a orgasm of enthusiasm that would be impossible not to get infected by.

I would likely take the day off work when it launched, no lie. Kinda like I did with school when the Dreamcast launched.

kuroshiki

I am just amazed that there is still sega fan. Especially when sega has been horrible supporting their fans for years after years.

Jomjom

Banned
I am just amazed that there is still sega fan. Especially when sega has been horrible supporting their fans for years after years.

They released 4 Yakuza games (5 if you count Dead Souls) in the US even though they sold like crap, so I'm giving them a pass.

Segas downfall had more to do then sony entering the console race but i can understand how the OG Xbox became the home of Sega titles for a while.

Amir0x

Banned
How much money would it reasonably cost to do justice to a next-gen version of ShenMue 3?

Or would fans of the original want the follow up to be inspired by the now retro Dremacast style visuals, saving money? They could still allow for some technical advancements only next-gen can provide, like a larger world, better reflections, lighting, etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
How much money would it reasonably cost to do justice to a next-gen version of ShenMue 3?

Or would fans of the original want the follow up to be inspired by the now retro Dremacast style visuals, saving money? They could still allow for some technical advancements only next-gen can provide, like a larger world, better reflections, lighting, etc.

Check out Technolust, it's doing a lot of shenmue-y things right now on a much smaller budget. Same with Loading Human.

The big reason Shenmue cost so much to make is because of the development of the engine(s) and the tools to work with said engines. Remember, this started on the Saturn, and the video evidence we have shows that the Saturn version went beyond the retail dreamcast release of Shenmue II. Then they started over.

Presumably, a modern Shenmue wouldn't need to create an entire engine from scratch for proprietary hardware, they could just use UE4 or unity or whatever.

Uggh, that Yosp and Suzuki photo depresses me.

Please don't let Sony fund it or something or make a spiritual successor. That'd suck balls.

We've already got David Cage for the hammily written Dragon's-Lair-in-2014 style games.

Please don't let Sony fund it or something or make a spiritual successor. That'd suck balls.

We've already got David Cage for the hammily written Dragon's-Lair-in-2014 style games.

How else is shenmue going to get made? Sega will not fund it it self.

It will be a platform holder.

bwakh

Just reading through this thread has made me hyped. Never played Shenmue before even though i had a dreamcast.

Did this gamelab presentation happen already? Is there some kind of reveal we're waiting for? What is the context of that slide, is it from some kind of rehearsal?

theWB27

This post makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.....pretty much the only way we'll get this game is if Sony, Ninty, or Micro funds it. Sega won't do it themselves.

Koppai

What if they made it for Wii U? It would be just like Bayonetta 2 all over again lol.

Seriously though it better be something good. Trolling your fans is bad for business.

Backflip

How about you just don't buy it if it ever comes out. I don't understand why some people want to spoil other people's fun. I'd never ask a publisher not to release your favorite game just because it's not my cup of tea.

Jomjom

Banned

It could be 8-bit for all I care. I just want a proper ending!

What if they made it for Wii U? It would be just like Bayonetta 2 all over again lol.

Seriously though it better be something good. Trolling your fans is bad for business.

That would be perfectly ok with me. If Ouya wanted to fund it, that would be fine too. Whoever wants to fund it, please do!

It's Suzuki's relationship with Cerny, but yeah, I understand this. At the time of Shenmue 1 and 2 many SEGA lovers were Sony haters. A lot of the Dreamcast hardcore moved over the Xbox since that's where the awesome Sega games were. I've since forgiven Sony for their brutal slaying of SEGA, but I will never forget...unless Shenmue 3 is exclusive to PS4 for some reason. Maybe that'll help me forget.

Dude...Sega killed Sega.

Coxy

This thread is devolving into tired old men telling console war stories, showing off their scars, trying to see who has suffered the most.

I like it.

My god... If they make shenmue 3 I really hope they re-release 1 and 2 in HD as well. I would love to replay those games again because sadly my dreamcast died a long time ago.

Top Bottom