• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki's gamelab presentation has a slide with a '3' on it. You know what to do.

Krejlooc

Banned
Okay somehow I feel obligated to do this - It's gonna be one long-ass semi off topic post, tho still on the subject of Sega.

Fun fact: This wasn't developed by Sega, nor was it developed for Sega systems. The Sega CD version is a port. It was made by CRI for the FM Towns. It's actually a home port of Strike Fighter, which itself could be considered a spiritual successor to G-Loc, itself a spiritual successor to Afterburner.

Beat ya to it :p

Phediuk

I counter your unsourced, uncited graph with this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Db...AEwBA#v=onepage&q=sega losses in 1997&f=false

"By 1997, the sony playstation dominated the video game console market, nintendo was a strong second wiht its N64, and Sega had been reduced to a distant and weak third. That same year, Sega posted one of the largest single-year losses in the comnpany's history at that time; the $398 million bath that sega took in 1997 was one largely of its own pouring."

Service Games: The rise and Fall of Sega, page 281

A simple Google search would have showed you that graph is directly from Sega's own financial reports, and I'll certainly take those over some secondary source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega#cite_note-26

26 through 29, if you can't find them.

That he is smart is precisely the reason he will not let it go

I could not disagree more. Making Shenmue 3 is not a brain decision, it's a heart decision.

It didn't really blow up sales the first time (dreamcast, I get that), lots of people didn't finish it (myself included) even fewer people ever got to PLAY the 2nd shenmue, and it's been a VERY long time. If these games were not so story heavy, maybe you could do it but the investment in the series has been gone for all this time.

Sure people love it and remember it fondly it but it's a terrible business decision.

SEGA can't even be bothered to put some money to bring Yakuza 5 to the West and some people think they will invest on developing a new Shenmue?

If there's something I've learned being a SEGA fan is: never get your hopes high.

master15

Taken with a huge grain of salt.

It's hard not to get a twinge of excitement but any Shenmue fan knows after a decade of false promises, I'm not believing anything until I get trailer/official announcement.

IrishNinja

man that big ol' After Burner post should have its own thread!

but each ShenMue game cost like fifty trillion Mother games to deveop!

ugh i am so tired of this FUD being spread around
suzuki-san said it would take 30 trillion Mother games tops, but that was the budget for the whole series

Yoshida seems like was sleepy again during a speech

Bq_gqU4IQAAlrAq.jpg

Shenmue confirmed

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This isn't happening, but if it did I sure hope they would redo the first 2 games along with it. Its been 10+ years since I've played them. They should remake them and sell them as a combo pack and then release 3.

Phediuk

A simple glance through the reports should have told you that said graph never appears in this report.

Also that the report is only 25 pages long.

A simple glance at the article would tell you that the graph is derived from the financial reports, which contain all of the figures used in it.

It's okay to admit that you're wrong.

Spaghetti

I think him and Yu Suzuki are just friends. There might be more to it though.
well yes, but yoshida is likely a busy man. i don't think he'd just be tagging along with suzuki for the sake of it. it could be that they just happened to be at the same event and yoshida was there on business to talk to devs... but suzuki has been seen with yoshida a fair bit.

certainly works more as evidence that any shenmue continuation will be playstation-bound than any of the pictures of cerny and suzuki, considering cerny and suzuki being together can just be passed off as friendship due to their 20+ year long history. i don't imagine suzuki has known yoshida that long, considering yoshida has been at sony for like forever.

Free food and booze.
HAW

yoshida knows what's up.

I counter your unsourced, uncited graph with this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Db...AEwBA#v=onepage&q=sega losses in 1997&f=false

"By 1997, the sony playstation dominated the video game console market, nintendo was a strong second wiht its N64, and Sega had been reduced to a distant and weak third. That same year, Sega posted one of the largest single-year losses in the comnpany's history at that time; the $398 million bath that sega took in 1997 was one largely of its own pouring."

Service Games: The rise and Fall of Sega, page 281

That book has some factual errors in it and it glosses over a lot of moments, especially during the early 90s.

It does fill in some blanks that other books leave out at the beginning of Sega's history, but it's not completely accurate during some pivotal time periods.

fvng

Why make a sequel to the game that buried Sega financially? I don't get it

Would rather have Yakuza 5

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Would rather have Yakuza 5
I think a game like Shenmue would do much better these days. Back then they needed a ginormous budget, but now the open world, city-crawling genre is an established thing and Shenmue is actually a step down from something like Yakuza or Sleeping Dogs in terms of things that there are to do and places that you can go. If they followed the same formula as the first two games, they could probably make a decent entry in the series for a fraction of the development cost.

I'd even be happy with a downloadable title. We don't need a huge budget game or anything; what most of us want is closure.

The death of the arcade market was at least as big of a factor as the failure of the Saturn in Sega's demise. They were actually still turning a profit until 1998.

Nail hit on head sir. This is exactly it. The Saturn bled money, the arcade market completely dried up and the final chapter is the fact that most of Segas top games were arcade ports. Virtua fighter was a HUGE deal twenty years ago, now it's an XBLA game. It's like a blockbuster movie franchise going from selling out cinemas to straight to dvd. People just stopped giving a shit about arcade ports. Pretty ironic that the holy grail was always arcade perfect ports in the 90s, the moment that became a consistent reality with the dreamcast, everyone lost interest.

Spaghetti

pin that blame on the sega cd, 32x, and saturn. not shenmue.

shenmue was a front-heavy investment that would have paid for itself by the first or second sequel, if the plug had not been pulled on the dreamcast by sega

I think a release of Shenmue 1/2 would likely have the opposite effect as a hype tool for Shenmue 3. Their best bet is to leave the two bombs behind and just retell the first two games in cutscenes in Shenmue 3.

pin that blame on the sega cd, 32x, and saturn. not shenmue.

shenmue was a front-heavy investment that would have paid for itself by the first or second sequel, if the plug had not been pulled on the dreamcast by sega

A bed time story told to Yu Suzuki to help him sleep better at night.

We don't know if that is true or not, no one can know for sure if it was true or not. Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't sell great on Dreamcast, and it didn't sell great on X-box either. You can say it was because of X and Y, but those are just excuses... No one knows exactly how it would have sold under ideal circumstances.

Spaghetti

A bed time story told to Yu Suzuki to help him sleep better at night.

We don't know if that is true or not, no one can know for sure if it was true or not. Shenmue 1 and 2 didn't sell great on Dreamcast, and it didn't sell great on X-box either. You can say it was because of X and Y, but those are just excuses... No one knows exactly how it would have sold under ideal circumstances.
shenmue was one of the best selling dreamcast titles, actually. it was always confirmed as selling over a million copies to a console user base that was roughly around 3-4 million at the time of release. every one in three-four dreamcast owners bought it, that's quite a high attach rate.

shenmue 2 might have sold comparably well too if peter moore hadn't sacrificed the north american version in order to get himself a job with microsoft and if the announcement about dreamcast production ending hadn't came months and months before shenmue II launched.

openrob

Why do people even want this shit anymore? Shenmue is basically a really outdated GTA with shitty story and boring minigames.

Oh goshh...

*facepalm*

Essentially the best thing about this game is the story and the mini games and is about as close to GTA as pokémon is.

The truth is (IMO) that Yu wants to make the game, it's his baby, and has been spending his time trying to scout out publishers. Lots of meetings behind closed doors.

He has been more active this year than ever.

Top Bottom