• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Banned
sörine;170991032 said:
In Japan? No they won't, 3DS is tracking ahead of PS2, Vita is tracking ahead of GC. GBA is a problem though, PS4+Wii U+One combined won't even hit half it's sales.
I think we could do with some sources for these claims.

KoopaTheCasual

Huh, but I keep hearing about how the Japanese devs are porting loads of games to Steam lately. Which is obviously great for PC gamers and I wish 'em the best and all, but I'd perceived that to suggest a potential shift to PC on new content at some point. Guess not?
Different franchises. Things like Tales, MGS, even Final Fantasy have a very sizable and dedicated western audience. So naturally, to fully tap into that market, they're porting those franchises over to PC to capitalize.

Dragon Quest doesn't have this, and is a very heavily Japanese focused IP. And in Japan the PC scene isn't even much of a scene (if we're talking big publisher titles). So yea, the chance of DQXI being on the PC is very very slim to be honest. Maybe if a localized PS4 sku does well above expectations they'll consider it, but definitely not out the gate.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Different franchises. Things like Tales, MGS, even Final Fantasy have a very sizable and dedicated western audience. So naturally, to fully tap into that market, they're porting those franchises over to PC to capitalize.

Dragon Quest doesn't have this, and is a very heavily Japanese focused IP. And in Japan the PC scene isn't even much of a scene (if we're talking big publisher titles). So yea, the chance of DQXI being on the PC is very very slim to be honest. Maybe if a localized PS4 sku does well above expectations they'll consider it, but definitely not out the gate.

Gotcha, thanks.

sörine

Banned
I think we could do with some sources for these claims.
Look in the Mediacreate threads. 3DS is less than 3m behind PS2's end ltd, Vita is only 100k or so behind GC. Both are very clearly going to pass those systems.

3DS is actually on track to be the 3rd best selling platfotm in Japanese history behind DS and Game Boy.

Snakeyes

thats because at the same time mobile gaming is replacing handhelds.
But there are barely any elaborate handheld-like games on mobile, and most of the few that make it on there are often met with mediocre sales. It's like the market for traditional games is slowly shrinking, handheld or not.

Snakeyes

sörine;170994131 said:
Look in the Mediacreate threads. 3DS is less than 3m behind PS2's end ltd, Vita is only 100k or so behind GC. Both are very clearly going to pass those systems.

3DS is actually on track to be the 3rd best selling platfotm in Japanese history behind DS and Game Boy.
Is it realistic to expect the 3DS to pull another 3 million before the NX handheld is released?

Busaiku

But there are barely any elaborate handheld-like games on mobile, and most of the few that make it on there are often met with mediocre sales. It's like the market for traditional games is slowly shrinking, handheld or not.
The market for traditional games was bigger before cause systems with those games were bolstered with casual consumers.
Those consumers (and tons of new ones) are largely on mobile now.

sörine

Banned
Is it realistic to expect the 3DS to pull another 3 million before the NX handheld is released?
Depends when exactly NX releases. It's realistic to expect another 3m out of 3DS before it stops selling entirely though. PS2 did about 3m after PS3 released.

...And how is it going to sell in Japan if it's home consoles only? Not even a MMO like DQX (good! Back to traditional DQ style!). Main DQ sell 3-4 millions. PS4 and Wii U can't do it right now, at all...there must be more.

People buy consoles for DQ.

clem84

Gold Member
As far as the kind of graphics I expect. Anyone remember the CG intro from DQX? It was one of the first trailer we saw of the game. I looked on youtube and can't find it. I remember it had a Golem in it. Maybe it was removed???

It was CG but it didn't look that far ahead of the PS3. I'm thinking a PS4 DQ might look close to that.

Edit: Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4C9OVuA1us

First 1:10 minutes.

Je ne pense pas que le succès des jeux sur smartphone doit être une raison pour ne faire que des jeux sur smartphone. Je pense vraiment que les jeux doivent être conçus pour différentes plates-formes. Dragon Quest XI sera, par exemple, un jeu conçu pour console de salon, car il sera pensé pour des contrôles à la manette.

He basically says its being made for console as just because one can get success in the mobile sector doesn't mean everything should be on mobile. There's no plural in it at all. However anyone who wants it for anything other than PS4 should probably look at the NX as there's a chance there. I'm personally just glad its on PS4 and its not a mobile/handheld game.

This is excellent news however. I've been hoping for a return to form for Dragon Quest ever since 8 and I definitely can't wait to play it on PS4. I'm sure if anything, Sony will port it to the west themselves if Square Enix don't do it themselves.

Best wishes.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Capcom is still putting Monster Hunter on the 3DS and they actually have very few big budget projects in the works.

The bolded isn't true. Devs might not have seen the actual device but they know its specs and Square Enix are probably one of the first third parties to get a look in(after Bamco, Capcom, Level 5 and Koei Tecmo of course). EDIT: I don't think DQXI will on NX though.

This is a wild, wild guess. But your edit/aside is probably true. Point is: Anybody guessing it's showing up on the NX has absolutely no reason to do so.

What was so wrong with the alchemy pot other than some combinations being too obscure?

I dunno, I just didn't like it? Wasn't fun, I guess. It's not fun in any game that tries it, to me. It's like fetch quest x1000, but this time you don't even know what you're gonna need, so pick up everything. Catch: limited space in your inventory!

crinale

The OG DQ8 (Japanese version) made you walk for certain minutes to complete alchemy every time (Hino clearly mentioned the intention behind it - to prevent people from going alchemy frenzy). After you beat hidden boss several times alchemy pot finally functioned instantaneously.
Then game got released and of course that design choice backfired, so that at the Western version pot fuses items without any time delay from the get-go.

Hugstable

Banned
The OG DQ8 (Japanese version) made you walk for certain minutes to complete alchemy every time (Hino clearly mentioned the intention behind it - to prevent people from going alchemy frenzy). After you beat hidden boss several times alchemy pot finally functioned instantaneously.
Then game got released and of course that design choice backfired, so that at the Western version pot fuses items without any time delay from the get-go.

? When I played the game on PS2 you still had to wait about like a few minutes for something in the Alchemy Pot to finish, it wasn't instant like DQ9.

Aeana

No, only the mobile version of DQ8 has instant alchemy.

crinale

? When I played the game on PS2 you still had to wait about like a few minutes for something in the Alchemy Pot to finish, it wasn't instant like DQ9.

No, only the mobile version of DQ8 has instant alchemy.

Oh I thought mobile version took the idea from Western version. So they had to wait for mobile version for time-delay (more like they borrowed idea from DQ9 then). Thank you for the correction.

That's why it will be PS3/PS4.

It won't be for PS3, forget about that. Square Enix overlook it with DQX so far, when PS3 was actually starting to turn around against Wii. There's already an active installed base on Wii U, thanks to DQX. PS3 is dead by now and given how much time Square Enix often takes to develop a mainline game, it would be very unlikely for a PS3 release in 2017.

Unless PS4 manage to outsell Wii U by 2016/2017, then they'll get DQXI. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up. It's not the first time Sony fanboys are especulating a mainline DQ game for Sony platforms, this happened with DQX. Port begging for a PS3 version was amazing, but yet, Wii got it, as it had the biggest userbase.

Kanann

It wouldn't be very surprising. I was going to say "every game so far had its programming outsourced to external developers who collaborated with Armor Project" but I don't know about X.
Regardless, that sounds pretty likely.

X is surprisingly in-house IIRC

crinale

It won't be for PS3, forget about that. Square Enix overlook it with DQX so far, when PS3 was actually starting to turn around against Wii. There's already an active installed base on Wii U, thanks to DQX. PS3 is dead by now and given how much time Square Enix often takes to develop a mainline game, it would very unlikely it would comes out until 2017. By that time, would make less sense for a PS3 version.

Unless PS4 manage to outsell Wii U by 2016/2017, then they'll get DQXI. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up. It's not the first time Sony fanboys are especulating a mainline DQ game for Sony platforms, this happened with DQX. Port begging for a PS3 version was amazing, but yet, Wii got it, as it had the biggest userbase.

I'm guessing that is because Nintendo doesn't allow cross-play anything other than PC. IIRC part of DQX servers were run by Nintendo.

I'm guessing that is because Nintendo doesn't allow cross-play anything other than PC. IIRC part of DQX servers were run by Nintendo.

I don't get it. DQ is from Square Enix, if they wanted a PS3 version, they would have done. Nintendo has no control over Square Enix and DQ.

DQX is a MMORPG. If Nintendo never allows cross play I don't think it will ever show up on any other console.

I don't remember neither Nintendo or Square Enix making any statements regarding cross play as reason for no PS3 version. If they did, could you provide a source?

Kanann

[DQX] in staffs Q & A last year, they said they want it on PS4

http://kotetsu.game-waza.net/ps4/%E3%80%8Cps4%E3%81%A7%E3%83%89%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A810%E3%82%92%E5%87%BA%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F%E3%81%84%E3%80%8D%E7%99%BA%E8%A8%80%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6dq1

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/fccb3cdc9acc14a6e70a12f74560c026/

Saito Yusuke 出したいなぁ~ (I wanna make it happen~)

I think it not worth to invest and will be in the same line with FFXIV

----------------------------------------------------

Amateur info:

Recently, they change server to run on Oracle. It's more friendly engine to run with PS4 but the port still do not happen
^ I have read something like this but not in-depth

[DQX] in staffs Q & A last year, they said they want it on PS4

http://kotetsu.game-waza.net/ps4/%E3%80%8Cps4%E3%81%A7%E3%83%89%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A810%E3%82%92%E5%87%BA%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F%E3%81%84%E3%80%8D%E7%99%BA%E8%A8%80%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6dq1

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/fccb3cdc9acc14a6e70a12f74560c026/

Saito Yusuke 出したいなぁ~ (I wanna make it happen~)

I think it not worth to invest and will be in the same line with FFXIV

----------------------------------------------------

Amateur info:

Recently, they change server to run on Oracle. It's more friendly engine to run with PS4 but the port still do not happen
^ I have read something like this but not in-depth
Worldwide too, please!

My fanfiction about DQX being localised includes getting access to both DQX and FF14 on the one subscription. It should motivate people to keep subscribed and encourage more people outside of Japan to try it.

crinale

In addition my hypothesis (which is already just a tales from my ass anyway) regarding Ninty not allowing cross-plat MMORPG, I'm making a wild guess that SE might have made a contract with Ninty, that is, mainline DQ (including ports) would stay Nintendo console exclusive for couple of years. When was original DQX for Wii released?

OmegaDL50

Siliconera stated this over a year ago when they got transcript of a Radio Show that had an interview with Horii he reiterated his original statement and claimed that DQXI would be a Home Console release.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/dragon-quest-xi-development-will-made-home-consoles/

I've brought this up in the past but was mainly ignored or people were highly skeptical and simply brushed it aside. Let me remind you folks this is the same Siliconera that leaked the FF7: Remake that Kagari wasn't too happy about for spilling the beans.

DQXI has been development as far back as early 2014. So it being a PS3 release in Japan to coincide with it's 30th Anniversary in 2016 isn't out of the question. It probably will be the same as Star Ocean 5, Tales of Zestiria, and Persona 5, Developed for PS3, released for PS4 in the West.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I know I'm very late at this, and I'm sorry for that, but still

Sugiyama is 84 years old. Horii is younger, 61, but still probably thinking about winding down. Also probably thinking about the series after Sugiyama is no longer able to work on it.

Wow, Sugiyama 80+ years old? He's very old, yeah. Horii is old too, even if not as old as Sugiyama. Actually, Sugiyama's age makes me wonder if he's actually one of the eldest men working on videogames currently.

The Dragon Quest news is great. VII and VIII for the US, and XI to be a traditional entry!

And I'm not dissing IX, but I do really hope that it doesn't feel "MMO-like" like IX felt to me. I dunno, something about IX felt off.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I just hope they will bring it over, and that's all.
I'd love to see DQVII and DQVIII for 3DS localized, and I'm perfectly fine with DQXI for PS4, that I'm planning to buy next year.

Caayn

ah!

Turn based

Home consoles

Not an MMO

rejoice.png
Hallelujah!
Hallelujah indeed. Dont' care which console(s) it comes to, PS4/XB1/WiiU exclusive don't care. The above points are major!

The Dragon Quest news is great. VII and VIII for the US, and XI to be a traditional entry!

And I'm not dissing IX, but I do really hope that it doesn't feel "MMO-like" like IX felt to me. I dunno, something about IX felt off.

I don't think it will. In many ways IX was a precursor to X. Like they were testing MMO elements before the main deal. That's what felt 'off' about it, since many of those elements don't belong in a single player DQ game.

Nerokis

Good. Love the 3DS and all, but it's in the latter half of its lifetime. The PS4 is just getting started, carrying the fate of home consoles in Japan, and having difficulty getting any traction there so far. It's nice seeing Japanese developers collectively trying to revive the home console's place within Japanese gaming.

Plus, DQVIII introduced me to this franchise, and it would be cool to play it on a Sony (non-handheld) system again.

OmegaDL50

Sugiyama is 84 years old. Horii is younger, 61, but still probably thinking about winding down. Also probably thinking about the series after Sugiyama is no longer able to work on it.

My biggest worry as this might be the last Dragon Quest game Sugiyama composes for. Being at that age a lot of health related things can happen.

I wonder if there are any composers out their that can faithfully emulate Sugiyama's style for the tradition to assume reigns of Dragon Quest's music production in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom