• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that it's going to be offline sort of gives Nintendo a bump in this race. If it were going to have strong online features, the least likely home would be a system with the weakest online infrastructure.

sörine;171241649 said:
3DS represented ~55% software sales for Japanese retail last year. PS4 was ~5% fwiw.

Holy shit...for real?

The fact that it's going to be offline sort of gives Nintendo a bump in this race. If it were going to have strong online features, the least likely home would be a system with the weakest online infrastructure.

lol....are you aware of Dragon Quest X's existence

Put yourself in Yuji Horii's shoes. If given the option, would you make the next mainline Dragon Quest on a rinky-dink 3DS with hardware from 2009 and a screen the size of a toenail?
Or would you opt for a big beautiful PS4, taking advantage of all this supercharged graphical beast has to offer and revolutionizing the JRPG genre once again?

For Horii, the answer may be simple.

More like he want the franchise to be big in the West, and for that the PS4 is his best choice.

sörine;171241649 said:
3DS represented ~55% software sales for Japanese retail last year. PS4 was ~5% fwiw.

55% of what though? Software sales have really decreased since the PS2/GBA days.

mejin

because horii wants to make the best game possible and fans want him to accomplish his dreams.

giphy.gif

Is DQ11 on NX likely at all? I mean I'll buy DQ11 no matter what system it's on, but the Nintendo fanboy in me wants it on a Nintendo platform. :p

I just want to play the damn game. Too old to learn japanese and too tired to see people worshiping games they can't/won't play.

magash

sörine;171241649 said:

And this is why SQEX risks seriously damaging itself in Japan if its not careful. The fact that they think that they are capable of resurrecting the PS4 is quite humorous and a bit pitiful at the same time.

Cbajd5

More like he want the franchise to be big in the West, and for that the PS4 is his best choice.
but wouldn't it being big in the west require someone to release dragon quest games here

maybe he should start with that

there's already a bunch people want to play

sörine

Banned
Holy shit...for real?
Yep.

01. 3DS - 23.387.031 <54,32%>
02. PS3 - 7.510.433 <17,44%>
03. PSV - 5.062.082 <11,76%>
04. WIU - 2.826.564 <6,57%>
05. PS4 - 2.441.876 <5,67%>
06. PSP - 1.053.282 <2,45%>
07. WII - 477.334 <1,11%>
08. 360 - 198.677 <0,46%>
09. XB1 - 96.009 <0,22%>
00. ALL - 43.053.288 <100,00%>

Also keep in mind that PS4 figure includes 400k free copies of Knack. Which is still the best selling PS4 game, and likely to remain that way until FFXV/KH3/DQXI/FFVIIr releases, whichever comes first.

sörine;171242069 said:
Yep.

09. XB1 - 96.009 <0,22%>

Also keep in mind that PS4 figure includes 400k free copies of Knack. Which is still the best selling PS4 game, and likely to remain that way until FFXV/KH3/DQXI/FFVIIr releases, whichever comes first.

Mother of god....

It'll never happen unless he makes some changes that could potentially damage its value at home. You don't try to fix something that isn't broken, and when you have a consistent multi-million seller on your hand, tampering with its formula is the last thing you want to do.

Instro

And this is why SQEX risks seriously damaging itself in Japan if its not careful. The fact that they think that they are capable of resurrecting the PS4 is quite humorous and a bit pitiful at the same time.

Well I would say DQX was more damaging to the brand than attempting to rekindle interest in the series on home consoles.

magash

Well I would say DQX was more damaging to the brand than attempting to rekindle interest in the series on home consoles.

The problem here is that home consoles represent a very very small percentage of dedicated gaming devices in Japan. Gamers have abandoned consoles.

Wiggy

sörine;171242069 said:
Yep.

09. XB1 - 96.009 <0,22%>

Surprising, considering all the big Japanese games PS4 had last year...

edit: i didnt think it was needed but /s

Elios83

First of all, pretty much no one thinks DQXI is "definitely" for 3DS at this point.

Secondly, Horii's preferences for the franchise aside, it's obvious enough what the strategic thinking behind DQXI on PS4 would be (revitalizing the JP console market, possibly expanding the audience for the series in the West). That doesn't mean it's unreasonable to question whether those strategic goals are in touch with reality.

Free to question it, I don't think it's unreasonable at all, but without knowing the platform(s), the specific deals in place and the kind of game they're making, I don't know what kind of discussion we can have right now, it just feels a bit premature.
For example I don't think that they will release the game only on PS4 in Japan and it's not like they're trying to revitalize the japanese console market because they're either fools or trying to be heroes.
But again a discussion where everyone can make his own different assumptions because we have no facts, will bring nowhere.

Anyway it's funny that some people are so concerned about japanese sales instead of being concerned about having the best possible game, which is what Verendus was laughing at.
Not to mention I have the impression that some people are still simply refusing/denying what Horii is saying clinging to the same japanese sales argument.

That's why the chose Xbox for Dragon Quest X? :p

DQX has, surprisingly, been doing decently with its expansions.

Did you think our discussion on this was based on nothing? :p

Well, I knew 3DS was doing very well relatively speaking...I did not realize it sold that much software compared to all other platforms. I also cannot believe, even with 400,000 free copies of Knack, that Wii U managed to sell more software than PS4. Insane.

StevieP

Banned
"...I'd be on everyone's ignore list by now."

Mature. That IS where the "best experience" is for those that claim that argument, whether you like it or not. The reality is that if this game isn't on mobile or handheld, there are bags of money involved. Not "best experience" nonsense.

sörine

Banned
55% of what though? Software sales have really decreased since the PS2/GBA days.
Overall yes, but 3DS is still moving competitive amounts of software versus previous successful platforms. For example DS in 2009 (the year DQIX released) was ~27m, and PSP maxxed out at ~16m in 2010 (the year MHP3rd released). The issue is more that everything else is a relative failure (Vita, Wii U, PS4, One, even PS3 really), 3DS is holding up it's end but the rest of the market has utterly collapsed.

Jigorath

Banned
Well, I knew 3DS was doing very well relatively speaking...I did not realize it sold that much software compared to all other platforms. I also cannot believe, even with 400,000 free copies of Knack, that Wii U managed to sell more software than PS4. Insane.

Last year the WiiU had Mario Kart and Smash Bros. What Japanese games did the PS4 have last year that can compare to that? Like come on, these comparisons are getting worse and worse.

Moodkip

If DQXI is a PS4/PS3 exclusive - which Horii is making seeming more and more likely to be the case - it will break a lifelong series tradition in 2 major ways:

1. DQ has always gone to the system with the highest Japanese install base. Horii has gone on record to flat out say this.

2. Enix/Square Enix have historically built up the DQ fanbase on each respective system which received a new mainline game. In addition to the occasional spinoffs, they've done this by releasing remakes of prior games as a "preparation" for the next mainline game.

SNES: DQI-III
PSX: DQIV
PS2: DQV
DS: DQIV, V, VI

3DS received/ is receiving remakes of the next 2 games which have yet to be remade, DQVII and DQVIII (although this is more of an update). In addition to that, since its very first year, it has received more DQ spinoffs than any other current gen system. All signs have pointed to 3DS following the exact same pattern as its predecessors (that being DQ mainline systems). The only game(s) that PS4 (and PS3) have are the Musou games, a Koei collaboration.

If I had to wager a bold guess, I would say DQXI originally started out as a 3DS game. Which would be why SE remade DQVII for the system and created a plethora of spinoffs for it, following the pattern the series has followed since the SNES.

Verendus

Banned
Well, that's why they're projections, cause we can only make assumptions based on the state of the market now and our assumptions about the project.
Is it set in stone? Of course not, but it's an informed opinion based on what we have available to us.

If you're just gonna laugh it off as fanaticism and stop all discussion, then there's not really much else to say, I guess.
Okay, let's play your game.

So, we'll go with three hypotheticals. I'll exclude the 3DS obviously, since it's not about that.

You have PS4 only, PS4/PS3, and PS4/PS3/Wii U. These are the current viable home consoles for Dragon Quest XI. I'd say Wii U only or Xbox, but since you're a bunch of haters...

First:

When is Dragon Quest XI releasing? You have to decide on this. We'll go with late 2016, since it'll be too difficult for you if I make it longer than that, and kind of pointless. Using this, you'll have to first get a gauge on the install bases on the consoles in question.

Now you have some data, so you should be able to get an idea of this. This is obviously important, since you need to know this before you can start making a projection on how well Dragon Quest XI could sell.

Of course, you don't know the release schedules of any upcoming titles on PS3, PS4, or Wii U over the next 17 months, so this'll affect your projection. In the case of PS4, this is quite important since you have FFXV, KH3, DQH2, and also the price cut which are all going to help in various ways, and you don't know when DQXI could hypothetically release between all that. We'll ignore the games, and I'll just tell you to do your best to factor in a price cut since that's going to happen prior to DQXI's release anyway.

Now, you might be thinking, why do I need to do all this when I know it's just going to sell less than it would on 3DS? But this is quite simple, and it has to be done. A cat could probably tell me Dragon Quest XI would sell less on PS4 only than on 3DS, but it wouldn't claim to have an informed opinion about an unannounced game, or what makes business sense, either. And if you're going to start talking about what makes sense, then you need to be able to do at least this much.

Other sales age people do it. There's that dude with the graphs and everything. They obviously put a lot of effort into what they discuss.

Now, in the case of the Wii U, you don't have any Dragon Quest titles that you can use to really make sense of what you could sell with a direct comparison. But you do have Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4. However, there's one issue you have to take into account. It's a spin-off title, and won't reflect exactly how much a mainline title on either of the three consoles could sell. But since I'm sure you're aware of this, you just need to factor in a split, and account for a percentage of error for me. I'm sure there's historical data for you based on sales of remakes, and spin-offs, and you can compare them to mainline releases, and go from there. It's not ideal, but I'm sticking to what you might have available to you. In this instance, if it was me, I wouldn't worry too much about the Wii U being affected by the platform split hurting it, because I don't believe the crossover between the two audiences would be as strong. Not to mention, you can just go to the sales split you saw with DQH, account for the mainline difference you expect, and go from there. DQ is like Fifa in Europe, and there's been plenty of successful DQ titles on the 3DS, and Wii U is going to be owned by a lot of Nintendo fans. It's not difficult.

You do have to account for PS3/PS4 since the split will matter there, and there's going to be crossover.

Now that you've done all this, you should be able to provide me three separate figures for each scenario.

And when you think about it, this is easy really, because this is the bare minimum you should be able to do based on what you have available to you via Media Create. Also, because you've not had to consider any of the following:

- Potential financial incentives
- Any assisted marketing
- Any international outlook at all
- The creative vision (because who gives a shit what they think)
- Why Dragon Quest Heroes probably exists
- Production budget, ROI
- Future plans for the title

And basically, all of the actual hard stuff when it comes to determining what makes business sense. In this instance, Dragon Quest Heroes exists for a very specific purpose, but you don't even have to worry about how successful that title was, it's ROI, and what that ultimately meant for all the parties involved. Forget DQH2 which is going to cost less, and do pretty well too.

I'll just point out one thing though. You think a Dragon Quest XI not releasing on the 3DS would mean the lowest series sales in franchise history. I'm not saying it's not releasing on the 3DS, but I'm not sure you realise just what the sales figures for some of the early title's original releases were when you don't take into account remakes etc. I've seen the figures, and although I may not have them in front of me, I'm pretty comfortable saying that in each of these three scenarios, even if the title was PS4 alone, that would not happen. So you're starting off pretty badly there.

Now consider that it might just end up releasing on 3DS for all you know, and you realise why I'm just laughing.

Because you know nothing, and that's why I find it hilarious to see a dozen posts worrying about what makes business sense when no one seems to have even made any effort, aside from "it would sell less than if it was on the 3DS".

You won't be laughing when DQXI fails to sell as much as DQIX.
Seriously, Verendus et al.'s attitude this page reminds me of the Vita Turnaround True Believer brigade circa 2012, and some of the Wii U fans circa 2013. You can't call it a failure! We don't have all the facts!
I legit can't stop laughing. This is probably the best thread I've been in all year. Easily. I can feel the hurt from you, and I don't even know why, but it's there.

Last year the WiiU had Mario Kart and Smash Bros. What Japanese games did the PS4 have last year that can compare to that? Like come on, these comparisons are getting worse and worse.

No, I get it. I'm still surprised though.

When's the next big Japanese title hitting PS4?

QaaQer

When releasing certain games it's not always about "which console can we sell the most units on?"
Sometimes pubs/console manufacturers want to accomplish something, or kick off a certain trend. Perhaps there might be some moneyhats involved but one thing is clear: Sony as well as Square Enix don't want the console market in Japan to die, and if it means that they'll have to put their most successful Japanese franchise on Sony consoles then so be it.

I think in this case it'd be a worthwhile "gamble", while it may not generate the same numbers as a 3DS/mobile version it may function as something else which may generate Square Enix a respectable amount of revenue in the future (see: the more PS4 owners in Japan the more RPG games they'll buy on that console)
Also, the PS4 is very popular in the west which can also help the game's sales numbers to grow which is a nice extra. There is almost no chance that DQXI won't come to the west if it's releasing on Sony consoles.

People need to think outside of the box sometimes, it's not always about the revenue something can generate but sometimes it goes a bit further than that.

Btw, I thought people would get the memo when SCEJs president said "welcome back home" to Horii.

And what software house in their right mind would want a market monopolized by one player, especially if that player is Nintendo. It is in the interest of producers of non-smartphone games to have competition for their products. I mean, what kind of deal is capcom going to be able to cut for monhun5, lol.

For example I don't think that they will release the game only on PS4 in Japan and it's not like they're trying to revitalize the japanese console market because they're either fools or trying to be heroes.

Stupidity and/or a delusional savior complex are the only reasons why anyone would think the Japanese console market can be saved at this point. But I guess we're about due for the "wait for _____" game to begin in earnest.

Not to mention I have the impression that same people are still simply refusing/denying what Horii is saying clinging to the same japanese sales argument.

The subjective appeal of a DQ game with broader scope and higher production values than would be possible on 3DS is obvious enough, and is perfectly reasonable to discuss here.

That doesn't make sales irrelevant in a thread about what's also a major business decision with significant ramifications for the future of SE and the Japanese market.

Jigorath

Banned
No, I get it. I'm still surprised though.

When's the next big Japanese title hitting PS4?

Metal Gear Solid V and Persona 5 are coming this year. It's still not a great lineup though. 2016 should be better if Square finally follows through and releases FFXV and KH3.

Metal Gear Solid V and Persona 5 are coming this year. It's still not a great lineup though. 2016 should be better if Square finally follows through and releases FFXV and KH3.

Not sure how I forgot about MGS V.

I really hope Persona 5 makes it out this year. I would assume it probably will, at least in Japan.

Cbajd5

So? They're making a effort to get these titles into the western market.
In the mobile westen market. So in that scenario, we must believe DQXI is only going to release as a smartphone game. (At least in the west.)

That just doesn't make sense to me...

Verendus

Banned
...and that proves my point nicely. Thanks.
That you can't read?

I'd like for you point out where I've said the Japanese console market is going to be saved, or that there's going to be some big turnaround. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but I'm a big supporter of mobile gaming.

That's also why I know you're hurt from my comments, and why it's hilarious. If you make that kind of assumption based on a gif of someone laughing, you're not approaching this from a "I'm sensible, and trying to understand what really makes sense" perspective. Because if you were, that's not what you'd assume.

You could assume that person is a dick, or rude, or a bunch of other things, but your first inclination wouldn't be that, unless you had an axe to grind.

sörine;171243461 said:
What about Dragon Quest X?
Different business model. Pointless to consider.

QaaQer

sörine;171241649 said:

Games sales measured in units sold for dedicated platforms have declined marketedly in Japan and continue to do so, for both hh and home.

That you can't read?

I'd like for you point out where I've said the Japanese console market is going to be saved, or that there's going to be some big turnaround. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but I'm a big supporter of mobile gaming.

That's also why I know you're hurt from my comments, and why it's hilarious. If you make that kind of assumption based on a gif of someone laughing, you're not approaching this from a "I'm sensible, and trying to understand what really makes sense" perspective. Because if you were, that's not what you'd assume.

You could assume that person is a dick, or rude, or a bunch of other things, but your first inclination wouldn't be that, unless you had an axe to grind.

No, the bolded really is the main thing.

If you want to insinuate that I'm a Nintendo fanboy (which is how many of those Vita threads circa 2012 and 2013 went, hmm), just come out and say so rather than making vague implications about what my agenda is. But I think you'll find I'm a pretty shitty one, given that I think they'd be better off going third party than bothering with NX. :)

In the mobile westen market. So in that scenario, we must believe DQXI is only going to release as a smartphone game. (At least in the west.)

That just doesn't make sense to me...
Don't be obtuse. Brand recognition from mobile will help other products in the franchise.

sörine

Banned
Different business model. Pointless to consider.
More pointless than Dragon Quest Heroes? A game which undersold DQX?

Games sales measured in units sold for dedicated platforms have declined marketedly in Japan and continue to do so, for both hh and home.
The only handheld beating 3DS in software sales is DS. It's tracking ahead of GB, GBA and PSP.

Like I said upthread, the issue is less with 3DS and more with literally every other current system.

AniHawk

- Potential financial incentives
- Any assisted marketing
- Any international outlook at all
- The creative vision (because who gives a shit what they think)
- Why Dragon Quest Heroes probably exists
- Production budget, ROI
- Future plans for the title

And basically, all of the actual hard stuff when it comes to determining what makes business sense. In this instance, Dragon Quest Heroes exists for a very specific purpose, but you don't even have to worry about how successful that title was, it's ROI, and what that ultimately meant for all the parties involved. Forget DQH2 which is going to cost less, and do pretty well too.

return on investment is definitely one thing i kind of take pause at. is it possible dqh was made so that assets and models were available for use in dqxi? like, well we made all these so far, so why not contact k-t and have them do a thing with them so we can keep funding development?

i think the general health of the ps4 will improve in 2016, especially with the death of the ps3 and the vita (and the wii u) happening all around the same time as the release of final fantasy versus xiii and other gen 8-exclusive rpgs, thereby consolidating japanese fanbases to really two kinds of userbase - the more mainstream nintendo one, and the more hardcore sony one. i actually think it's fairly unreasonable to expect dqxi on the wii u at all, even though it received dqx and all of its expansions. perhaps the nx becomes the next home of dqx, but i think if any nintendo platform were to get this new game, it would probably be that machine.

sörine;171244066 said:
More pointless than Dragon Quest Heroes? A game which undersold DQX?

The only handheld beating 3DS in software sales is DS. It's tracking ahead of GB, GBA and PSP.

Like I said upthread, the issue is less with 3DS and more with literally every other current system.

The GB almost sold almost twice as much software as the 3DS (albeit it's not over)

crinale

Yup. If you include mobile game revenue + hh, total console game sales (wiiu, ps3/4, Wii, x1) would probably be 5-7% of the market on a dollar basis.

Actually if you include mobile then total gaming dedicated device sales (3DS, Vita, WiiU, PS3/4, Wii, X1, software and hardware) take up less than half of Japanese market (yes mobile side is software alone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom