• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
I just came back home from work! IT'S HAPPENING!? IT IS HAPPENING!!!???

4F5xwBM.gif

Oregano

Alright then, I also rewatched the Micro Direct and saw the Nintendo logo in the corner now where the S-E logo was in the JP version. Just find it weird that they never said this directly via some form of PR.

btw: randoms can't log into the press site :) ...so I can't check it myself^^

It tells you the log in for the press kit on the right hand side.;)

clem84

Gold Member
This is amazing. I lost hope for DQ7 LONG ago and after E3, I had lost hope for 8 simply because it would've been the perfect time to announce a localization. It's really strange they didn't announce it at E3. Maybe the decision to localize was made between E3 and now. And if Horri really did announce something he wasn't supposed to, that's makes even less sense. Why not use E3 or Japan expo to at least tell us it's coming. Maybe, *shudders*, it's not a done deal yet?

KiTA

So some people are reporting that he actually said that he knows we want it, not that its coming. (Siliconera, for example.)

Others (DQ Reddit) are saying that's what he said last interview, and this is different -- ab d moire specific.

So, Nintendo Direct when?

So some people are reporting that he actually said that he knows we want it, not that its coming. (Siliconera, for example.)

Others (DQ Reddit) are saying that's what he said last interview, and this is different -- ab d moire specific.

So, Nintendo Direct when?

He said both. FFRing ran an interview with him, where he claims that he knows people want them. Then at a later event, he seems to have confirmed it's indeed coming.

Apt101

Based Horii. Will buy both day 1 (and Heroes) to support the series in the west :D

I pre-ordered the "Slime" edition for the PS4. :D I haven't played a DQ game in a long time but that one looks really fun from the videos I've watched. Will be nice to return to that universe as well. All of the bonus stuff I'm getting is just gravy.

epmode

I'm going to be that guy:
You won't unfortunately it was removed from the 3ds version.

Dragon Quest 8 wasn't even cel shaded. It has that neat outline around the 3D models and the textures are clearly supposed to look like Toriyama's art but it's not doing any of the dynamic color shading found in games like Jet Set Radio and Wind Waker.

Borderlands uses the same style as DQ8 and that's not cel shaded either.

Scrawnton

Yeah I'm not super huge on the portrait mode, my hand was pretty much dead after DQ3 and 4 on my Note 3 rofl
I have an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air. So I'm a huge fan of squares cloud saving so that I can go back and worth between the two. It's the perfect combo for these types of games.

I'm going to be that guy:

Dragon Quest 8 wasn't even cel shaded. It has that neat outline around the 3D models and the textures are clearly supposed to look like Toriyama's art but it's not doing any of the dynamic color shading found in games like Jet Set Radio and Wind Waker.

Borderlands uses the same style as DQ8 and that's not cel shaded either.

Yep, the game's "celshading" is all basically just really well-painted textures. All of the lighting detail is baked into the textures themselves - they're not affected by lighting or camera direction at all as they would be in real celshading.

The black outline around models is affected by camera direction, but that's really it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom