• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii reportedly announced DQ VII and VIII for the west at Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

Not when the 3DS game has more characters, content, faster loading, and no random encounters.
Completely subjective.

And to go with that you have worse IQ, a tree blight, and terrible pop-in.

Do you have mixed feelings about visible encounters and turbo mode battles?

I do. I prefer random battles. However like he said DQ7 is just the best version of that game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ron Paul itshappening.gif

HarryKS

I've been called racists by a french guy on PSN after laughing at him for sending me hatemail in BF4. Something to do with calling him a smelly Frenchman. (Al Bundy joke)
Even though he knew I was from Belgium, he called me a racist. lol

When I laughed some more an replied how I didn't know that the French were a race now, he replied that I should have studied more at school so I would have known that fact.
Some rather weird people over there. Not much of a sense of humour either. ;)

So true. The joke fell completely flat, but those vicious responses and personal attacks sure are laughable.

Les blagues belges, c'est quand meme mieux.

L Thammy

Honestly, I'd be happier with Terry's Wonderland. I just can't seem to get into the gameplay of Dragon Quest, though I love EarthBound.

Wiz

Please. VII is the only mainline game I haven't played. Not counting X cuz I doubt I will ever play that.

AlucardGV

Banned
is S-E realizing just now that the rest of the world is not that into mobile gaming? anyway, good news

(top lolling at all that french salt)

Or maybe I don't like being insulted by a random guy on the Internet for something that happened 70 years ago. How fucking hard is it to understand?

If you take at offense at it, that's fine but....how were you personally being insulted by "a random guy". Legit question but (and I'm assuming you're french) are you angered at The Simpsons and the joke about "cheese eating surrender monkeys"? That said I'm just trying to work something out. You don't have to swear. You were not being insulted by anyone about something that happened 70 years ago someone was making a dumb joke.

If you took offense you could have told him, asked him to politely not say it again or something.

Anywayyyyyyyyyy...........

This could be super good. DQ8 3DS doesn't look amazing (imo) but i haven't got a ton of 3DS titles and for the coming commute it'll be a good title to make the journey pass quicker. VII i've never played but everyone seems to love it so...keep it coming!

NolbertoS

So now all you DQ fans better press Horii for Joker slime 3 and Tara and Terry's wonderland 3DS out West. I actually loved play DQ Monsters back in the day on thr GBC.

Axass

In the span of a month we got Shenmue 3, Fallout 4, Doom, FFVII Remake, The Last Guardian, Zero Escape 3, DQVII-VIII 3DS, Yo-Kai Watch.

Holy shit.

I'm fully expecting a localisation announcement for both Dai Gyakuten Saiban and Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus in the next Nintendo Direct (probably August).

Then there's only HL3.

Scrawnton

I don't think an iOS port has been announced yet.
Two years or so ago square said they will be bringing dragon quest I through VIII to iOS. By using logic, one could assume this was also an announcement that VII would eventually come as well. We just got VI, so VII is the next one up.

I dropped out of this franchise, admittingly. Decided that owning all of these games was... not worth it. Ended up selling off all but Dragon Quest 8. I think I made the right choice.

Still, are they going to stagger these releases by a year or more? A double-pack release?

Sweet shepherds, if this is true, it is time to buy a 3DS. Now the tough decision for me, New 3DS XL or 2DS.

Function or comfort. Both are great, but the New 3DSXL's biggest advantage is some processor comforts/upgrades and Xenoblade.

I don't think I'll ever regret owning a New 3DSXL, for what it's worth.

So I guess it's probably going to be released in the rest of Europe and the Americas as well, I mean I doubt they would just do a French translation and call it a day.
2016 may be the year the 3DS is replaced, but god damn is it gonna be a good year for the system in the west.

Oregano

Sweet shepherds, if this is true, it is time to buy a 3DS. Now the tough decision for me, New 3DS XL or 2DS.

I would wait for confirmation first. There's a chance they'll anounce a limited edition console
or the N3DS for the US with exclusive faceplates

RK128

New 3DS will give you that the C-Stick (so camera controls for some games might be helpful) and some extra shoulder buttons. You also get Amiibo support if you have games that support it. It also has the 'best' 3D feature out of the entire 3DS Line and its battery is very long in comparison to the 2DS and other 3DS models. You can also play Xenobalde 3D (which is exclusive to the 'New 3DS'). Outside of that? Not worth it in my book; 200 bucks for something you can get for a lot cheaper (a normal 3DS XL is......I think 50 dollars cheaper at this point).

2DS has a smaller screen and lesser battery, but the form factor is fantastic for longer play sessions and it makes games like KH3D or Smash Bros. really get to play :D. You also can also use SD Cards (cheaper than Micro-SD I think) and while it lacks 3D, very few games really use that feature in a meaning full way. I love my 2DS, so that is why I highly recommend that :). Besides, 99 bucks vs. 199 bucks? I pick the 99 buck option any day :D.

Bitanator

I just got done spending all of june playing Dragon Quest 7, so I'd love if they would release the 3DS version next year sometime so I can experience while lazing on the bed or the shitter

Wereroku

You might be the first person who enjoys random encounters.

I doubt it. There are some with problems like having an encounter rate that isn't properly balanced. However I don't think the loss of almost every tree and drastically reduced draw in is a very good trade just for having a few monsters roaming around. Also seeing them is almost the same as a random encounter since they can make sure they are unavoidable. The only difference is that you can walk into them yourself.

I really hope he's talking about the 3DS versions as it would be a great way to let the 3DS go out with a bang before NX, with two amazing JRPGs, one of which I consider to be among best ever made (VIII).

But if it's mobile, I'm ok with it. RPGs with turn-based battle systems work pretty OK on a touch screen. And at this point, mobile might be the only way Square can justify releasing it outside of Japan.

wmlk

Do you have mixed feelings about visible encounters and turbo mode battles?

Yeah, the base game wasn't designed around not having random battles. It's a big difference when it's like this.

Anyway, DQVIII's localization should be fast and much easier than the DQVII localization. I guess SE is handling it if Horii is dropping this bomb at Japan Expo.

Dark_castle

THE POSTER WAS VERIFIED

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

Wereroku

Yeah, the base game wasn't designed around not having random battles. It's a big difference when it's like this.

Realistically it's not really going to be very different. They can adjust the walking speed of the monsters pretty much ensuring you can't avoid them if you wanted to. Also being properly leveled was very important in this game so I am not sure what people are expecting since they are still going to have to go out and fight before a boss battle anyway. The part that I don't like is that they have killed the details of the world map to open up the processing room they needed to do this.

RangerBAD

I doubt it. There are some with problems like having an encounter rate that isn't properly balanced. However I don't think the loss of almost every tree and drastically reduced draw in is a very good trade just for having a few monsters roaming around. Also seeing them is almost the same as a random encounter since they can make sure they are unavoidable. The only difference is that you can walk into them yourself.

My feelings too. The port takes away a lot of what was so wonderful about DQ8.

Aeana

Anyway, DQVIII's localization should be fast and much easier than the DQVII localization. I guess SE is handling it if Horii is dropping this bomb at Japan Expo.
DQ8 actually was designed for visible enemies. They removed them a ways into development because of performance reasons. It's pretty obvious, too; the dungeon passageways are huge.

wmlk

Realistically it's not really going to be very different. They can adjust the walking speed of the monsters pretty much ensuring you can't avoid them if you wanted to. Also being properly leveled was very important in this game so I am not sure what people are expecting since they are still going to have to go out and fight before a boss battle anyway. The part that I don't like is that they have killed the details of the world map to open up the processing room they needed to do this.

This is what I mean. It's a weird balance problem and it seems tacky

DQ8 actually was designed for visible enemies. They removed them a ways into development because of performance reasons. It's pretty obvious, too; the dungeon passageways are huge.

I always forget that, but I have to wonder if they rebalanced the base game afterwards. If there were no random battles, then wouldn't you have to grind right before the boss to prepare anyway?

I would take random battles over that kind of deal anyday.

Audette

I don't think an iOS port has been announced yet.

DQ 1-8 were all announced to be coming to iOS in Japan, 7 is the only one remaining to be released Wikipedia says pending release date of summer 2015.

Just the way the timing lines up, I wonder if they will use the 3ds version or the ps1 edition. And weather or not we will get that one in English or not too.

Wish they would do 9 too hehe.

Sadist

So it's true? Awesome. I want to try VII.

I only played DQ VI though and never completed. A bit too old school for my tastes.

Kurtofan

I've been called racists by a french guy on PSN after laughing at him for sending me hatemail in BF4. Something to do with calling him a smelly Frenchman. (Al Bundy joke)
Even though he knew I was from Belgium, he called me a racist. lol

When I laughed some more an replied how I didn't know that the French were a race now, he replied that I should have studied more at school so I would have known that fact.
Some rather weird people over there. Not much of a sense of humour either. ;)

So true. The joke fell completely flat, but those vicious responses and personal attacks sure are laughable.

Someone say something stupid we can't say anything about it? Ok.

Also race is a social construct, all groups can be subject to ethnic jokes and slurs. the modern meaning of racism is broader than it was in the past.

Wow, that's amazing. o_O

Don't suppose the added story elements were also cut content? If they were, this could literally be a Director's Cut of sorts.

Reveirg

Can someone get that NeoGAF thread list of people asking for these localizations? They seemed to come up every other week. Worth it!

S-E just makes stuff happen lately.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is this real?! I want to believe! Give the 3DS its DQ love in the west already!!

I do also. I like that mystery aspect, never knowing what you'll find. Though it is more useful in Pokemon since you're looking for a specific Pokemon and hoping you'll bump into one is part of the appeal.
Count me in on the random encounter love! Far to many RPGs with visible baddies have burned me in the "hey I just wanna avoid this one mon..." Game: "NOPE" department.

When a company has left fans twisting in the wind for five years, it's nice to see a carefully laid marketing plan torn to shreds.

Also, weak French jokes. "They surrender a lot" is low-hanging fruit, and isn't even remotely accurate. IIRC, the French have the highest ratio of military victories to losses of any major world power. So I would have gone with:

The game stops working after 35-hours.
Or
The physical version comes with a large napkin, so you can hide from god while you play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom